Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old November 28 2011, 02:08 AM   #16
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station
Re: Re-shaping a Cardassian: Toward the Ninth Circle

I assumed that Dukat, as a "traitor's son," would always be on the Obsidian Order's radar.

"Reagan, it appears, is really only an ardent unionist if the unions in question are in Poland" - Stephen King, Skeleton Crew
Gul Re'jal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2011, 03:27 AM   #17
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

That definitely makes sense, if this version of Dukat's father has the same history as the canon version.
Old December 4 2011, 04:29 AM   #18
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Chapter 4

CMS Ravinok

Gil Yassel turned in her seat to face Dukat. “The Bajoran ship is hailing us.”

Dukat glanced at his communication officer, smiled at her, and then looked at the screen. “Put them through.” Jarol saw that Bajoran for the first time. “What can I do for you, Major Harran?”

We are trying to contact our colony, but we have no response from them,” the man replied.

“And?”

The Bajoran glanced at his companion and then back at the screen. “I know it’s a lot to ask, but we wondered if you wouldn’t allow us to check what is the problem. We...err...we’d need one of your ships to assist us.

“Why?” Dukat’s voice was soft, but Jarol was sure his innocence was faked.

Because our vessel’s warp capability is limited and your warships are fast.”

“I’m afraid our resources are too limited for such unnecessary trips. We can try to hail them, though, in case our communication technology is more advances than yours.”

The major didn’t seem happy with the solution, but he nodded. “We appreciate that.”

“We’ll let you know as soon as we know something.”

The connection was closed and Jarol expected Dukat to order Yassel to hail the colony, but no such instruction followed. Had he just promised something with no intention of keeping his word?

The glinn made herself busy with her task, impatiently waiting for her shift to end, so that she could return to her own ship. She hated this place more with every minute.

“We are being hailed by the Radalar,” the communication officer reported some time later.

“On screen,” Dukat ordered and Gul Toral’s face filled the viewer.

I would like to accompany the Bajorans to check on their colony,” the young gul said.

“Their colony?” Dukat repeated slowly. “What about their colony?”

They lost contact with it, did they not?” Toral seemed surprised by Dukat’s reaction and so was Jarol.

“They did, indeed. Why do you want to go there?” the Ravinok’s commander asked Toral.

The young gul seemed to be taken aback by the question and didn’t have a ready answer. “To thank them for their assistance in bringing us here safely,” he said eventually.

“We don’t have time for this.”

I insist.”

For a moment both guls stared at each other, but finally Dukat nodded. “All right. Take them aboard and take them there, but don’t let them gather any intelligence on our technology. Keep your Obsidian Order agent on their backs...let’s make some use of those...” He didn’t finish and only cast a hostile glance at Ravinok’s political officer.

Toral disconnected, while Dukat turned to Jarol. “Did you relay the information to the other ships?” he asked with barely concealed anger.

“I did,” she answered, not sure what she had done wrong.

“You asked you to do that!”

“You did, sir.”

“When!”

“You ordered me to relay all new information as it becomes available, so that all three ships have the same data at any time.”

“All relevant information.”

She bit her lower lip, trying not to snap. Had he just suggested that she remembered incorrectly? The whole bridge heard his words, so he couldn’t claim that she had misheard or misremembered.

He smiled forgivingly. “That’s all right, Jarol, everybody makes mistakes. In the future, however, please consult with me or Glinn Damar, if you’re not sure.”

But I was sure, she thought. “Yes, sir,” she replied. One doesn’t argue with her gul, but follows the given orders. Even when the orders contradict each other.

She wanted to be back on her ship!

Dukat turned back to the screen, while she looked around. Everyone pretended they hadn’t heard anything—she was certain they wouldn’t confirm his true orders either—maybe except for Damar, who sent her an encouraging smile.

CMS Radalar

“We’re in sensors range,” Nevir, the Radalar’s chief engineer, reported.

“Scan the planet,” Toral ordered and then looked at Major Harran. “Where is the settlement exactly?”

The Bajoran dictated the co-ordinates and Nevir entered the data into his console. A moment later his eye ridges became rounder—an expression of startle and worry.

“What is it?” Toral asked.

“You’re not going to like it,” Nevir said, looking at his gul and then at both Bajorans. “The settlement...the settlement is gone.”

Lieutenant Sirad approached the Cardassian engineer. “Are you sure you entered the data correctly? There must be some sign of them.”

Nevir shook his head. “I don’t make mistakes of that kind. And I didn’t say there was no sign of the settlement, but that it was gone.”

“What does that mean?” The other Bajoran also approached the engineering station. Right now it didn’t really matter that none of them knew how to read Cardassian displays.

“The settlement was destroyed,” Nevir said. “I detect weapons signatures, no life signs and clear evidence of destruction.”

Major Harran’s face became paler and Toral wondered if it was a typical reaction of his species with the same meaning as Cardassian ridges going wide.

The gul stood up. “Lorrun, scan the system.” The last thing he wanted was to be attacked by whoever had obliterated the Bajoran colony.

“I detect a craft of unknown configuration,” Lorrun at the main tactical station reported a moment later. “I am unable to assess if they have detected us. They are barely within our sensor’s range.”

An unknown configuration. Toral would be surprised if anything that far from home were of a known design. And being on the edge of the sensor range could mean that the craft was hiding—had they detected the approaching Cardassians and moved farther away? He considered his options. He wanted to take better scans and provide more information for the Bajorans, but not at the cost of his ship and his crew lives. “Is that ship a match for us?” he asked.

“I’d say it’s smaller, but I detect significant weaponry. We don’t know the strength of their fire power, but if it was them who destroyed the settlement, we could assume that it’s a well-equipped warship, in spite of its size. It could pose a threat.”

“Do you think it’s them who destroyed the settlement?” Major Harran asked Toral.

“It’s possible. It’s also possible we’re in their territory.” The gul wasn’t happy about the whole situation. “Is the other ship doing anything? Does it seem like they detected us?”

Lorrun observed his display for a few seconds and then shook his head slightly. “No, sir. They’re holding their position.”

The gul hesitated for a moment longer and then turned to face both Bajorans. “I’m sorry. I’d like to help you learn what happened to your colony, but the cost might be too high. Maybe I could convin—”

“Sir, we are being hailed,” Yamuc at the communication console said suddenly and then lowered his head in apology for interrupting his gul. “It might be important,” he added to explain his behaviour.

Everyone on the bridge looked at the screen, as if expecting to see on it the alien ship in far distance, while the ship was visible only on sensors but not close enough for the naked eye, even if the eye was using a display.

“On screen,” Toral ordered, standing in front of his chair.

A bridge appeared on the viewer. The central place on the screen was taken by a smiling, benign looking being with smooth face and very long, wrinkled ears. He bowed slightly and smiled wide. “It’s a pleasure to meet you,” he said in a quiet, soothing voice.

Toral barely managed to keep himself from asking ‘Why?’ His attention wasn’t purely on the benign alien, though. The alien was surrounded by menacingly looking, tall and covered by thick low reptile-like skin beings, who undoubtedly looked like warriors. Grim faces, bony protrusions on their jaws and foreheads creating an intimidating look and weapons on their belts told everything about their main tasks. The only thing that Toral couldn’t interpret as a typically soldier objects were strange tubes coming out—or in—of their necks.

“I am Gul Toral of the Cardassian Union,” he said to the non-warrior being.

Weyoun.” The word was followed by another small bow.

Was it his name? His empire? His race? An insult?

The being didn’t say anything else, so Toral started to wonder why they had been hailed in the first place. Just to take a look at them? However, he decided not to lose the opportunity to pose the most dire question. “Do you know what happened to the colony on this planet?” he asked.

We had to destroy it.” The answer was given in a casual tone that sent shivers down Toral’s spine.

The Bajoran major gasped. Toral thought of one of border Cardassian colonies that had been obliterated by the Romulans in the last month of the war as their final “argument” to force the Cardassians to sign the peace treaty and he felt sympathy for the Bajorans—they had to feel exactly the same how he had felt the day he learnt about the colony’s fate.

“Why?” he asked.

The Founders gave us such an order.” The man’s voice was almost surprised.

Toral’s eye ridge raised slightly. Who were those founders and what had they founded?

“Founders of what?” he asked.

The Founders of the Dominion. Do you claim you never heard of them?

“We’re not...from this neighbourhood,” Toral explained.

Was it not your colony?

“Err, no...and yes...” he added, thinking that the two Bajorans were now a part of the Cardassian team and belonged to “we” as much as anyone else on Toral’s warship. The gul shook his head apologetically. “I’m sorry, I’m not a diplomat.”

The man on the other bridge smiled. “Neither am I,” he admitted. “But it doesn’t mean we can’t talk, does it?

That seemed to be too much for the poor major. “Talk?! You murdered many people and now you want to talk?”

Toral gave his communication officer the sign to cut the audio. “Calm down, Major, this will take us nowhere,” he whispered. The Bajoran gave him a furious look. “I know how you feel, but we are in an unknown territory and face an unknown enemy. All we know about them is that they are cruel and have no conscience. Do you want to make them angry, so that they call their comrades and blow us to pieces, or do you want them to pay for their crime?”

“What do you think?” Harran barked.

The gul smiled. “So let’s try to be diplomatic.”

“Sir.” Lorrun looked up. “If he’s no diplomat, why does he want to talk?”

“I wouldn’t believe a word he says,” Toral answered. “Keep an eye on their weapons. I want to know if they are changing their status the moment it starts happening. Audio!” He looked at the screen. “I am not authorised to have any official talks, so I would have to contact my superior and relay your wish to him.”

Please, do so.” And he signed off.

“What were those guys behind him?” Nevir asked no one in particular.

“Soldiers, definitely soldiers,” Glinn Korel, the gul’s aide, answered.

Toral looked at his political officer. “What do you think?”

“I think they mean trouble and a lot of it,” the Obsidian Order agent replied. “Contact Dukat and secure the connection. They certainly will try to spy on us.”

“Why did they hail us in the first place?” Tassar wondered.

“To see us? I guess they were as curious as we were,” the agent said.

“I wasn’t,” Lorrun muttered.

“Yamuc, get me Dukat. Secure the connection and secure it well.”

“I can add a few scrambling codes,” the Obsidian Order agent offered. “Their agent should be able to unscramble them.”

Toral nodded. “Please, do.”

CMS Ravinok

Jarol logged out of her console and headed for Dukat to report leaving the bridge. He accepted her announcement with a nod, so she turned and headed for the lift. It arrived quickly. She entered and turned toward the closing door to see Dukat also entering the car.

“I assume you are going to beam back to your warship now,” he said.

“Yes, sir,” she confirmed.

“You might be my officer, but you are also my guest,” he said, while she thought she was not his officer. “It would be rude not to treat a guest appropriately.”

“I am on duty here.”

“Not any more. You duty has just ended. Now it’s your leisure time and I’d like to steal a moment of it?” Up until now she kept looking at the closed door of the lift, but now she glanced at him, while he continued, “I’d like to invite you for dinner. Something special to celebrate your first day on my ship.”

She wasn’t sure if she could refuse and she couldn’t find a good reason to tell him why she couldn’t be able to join him. He didn’t give her a lot of time for finding such a reason. The lift stopped on his deck and he gestured for her to leave it first. The car would proceed empty to the deck, on which transporter chambers were located.

She submissively followed him without a word.

She had never seen a gul’s quarters before and she was surprised by the vast space. Did Zamarran have such a huge space too?

“Please, sit down.” Dukat gestured to a chair at the dining table. She sat and looked at the table, which was already prepared for a meal—it had been set for two. She shot a glance at Dukat, certain now that he had it planned all along.

The gul approached with a tray full of food and placed it in the middle, between plates and just next to a thin vase with one purple flower. “I’m afraid some of it is replicated, but I hope you’ll enjoy the real dishes.”

“I am sure I will,” she assured him.

He laughed. “Don’t worry, you won’t be executed if you don’t.”

She gave him a bit suspicious look, but it seemed like a genuine joke, so she smiled. A little bit.

He entertained her with a conversation and she began to relax. She wasn’t here to be executed, or even chastised for her “mistake” on the bridge; she was here to enjoy her time over quite good food.

It was almost the time for a dessert, when they were interrupted. “Sir, we are being contacted by Gul Toral,” Yassel’s voice said through the comm. “It’s very important and you are needed on the bridge.

Dukat threw his napkin on his plate and looked at Jarol. “Seems like we are not off duty, yet. Let’s go.” He rose and she followed him, wondering what Toral had found on the Bajoran colony that was so important.

tbc

"Reagan, it appears, is really only an ardent unionist if the unions in question are in Poland" - Stephen King, Skeleton Crew
Old December 4 2011, 06:07 AM   #19
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Ewww, ewww, dinner with Gul Dukat...yuck. It's more blatantly obvious than ever why he really wants her on the ship. And I suspect his deliberate undermining of her standing on the bridge was intended not only as self-aggrandizement, but also to try to make her uncertain and vulnerable to his advances. What a manipulative bastard.

On the other hand...if you provide more evidence, I could find myself shipping these versions of Jarol and Damar.

I see the Obsidian Order agents are trying to make themselves "helpful" again--the one on the Radalar allowing himself to be used, and the one on the Ravinok encrypting those messages. I wonder if they do stuff like that from time to time in your universe to try to make it harder for Central Command to find an excuse to obliterate them?

And what I feared when the Cardassian-Bajoran team went into the wormhole has come to pass: the Dominion is here. I wonder how they will fare in a universe where the Romulans are so strong, and the Cardassians may not provide them an easy beachhead in the Alpha Quadrant?
Old December 4 2011, 06:13 AM   #20
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
Ewww, ewww, dinner with Gul Dukat...yuck. It's more blatantly obvious than ever why he really wants her on the ship. And I suspect his deliberate undermining of her standing on the bridge was intended not only as self-aggrandizement, but also to try to make her uncertain and vulnerable to his advances. What a manipulative bastard.
You didn't think he oh-so desperately needed a liaison officer, did you?
On the other hand...if you provide more evidence, I could find myself shipping these versions of Jarol and Damar.
Hmm...
I see the Obsidian Order agents are trying to make themselves "helpful" again--the one on the Radalar allowing himself to be used, and the one on the Ravinok encrypting those messages. I wonder if they do stuff like that from time to time in your universe to try to make it harder for Central Command to find an excuse to obliterate them?
Well, they are useful sometimes
And what I feared when the Cardassian-Bajoran team went into the wormhole has come to pass: the Dominion is here. I wonder how they will fare in a universe where the Romulans are so strong, and the Cardassians may not provide them an easy beachhead in the Alpha Quadrant?
Jem'Hadar obliterated New Bajor in canon universe. Unfortunately, I didn't see how they wouldn't do it in this universe

Old December 11 2011, 01:38 PM   #21
mirandafave
Fleet Captain

This is my review from Ad Astra but I thought it worth posting here too, just to show how much I like this story and the promise it holds.

You know what impresses me greatly when I start one of your stories? It is that after even one chapter one feels involved in the story - the political machinations and the emotional lives of the characters. You have a way of imbuing history and personality into the characters and add the entire dimension here to them with the family scene added to the duty scenes.

Then we come to the story itself. Again, like Neo... you take the challenge of writing in the AOS universe, making everything old new again, turning thinngs on their head and subverting them, yet within familar contexts that have us asking questions and what ifs and hoping that really bad things will not happen here. Alas, with Dukat in the frame, I fear that is exactly what is going to happen. If stepping on Federation toes isn't enough of a gamble, they have taken on an ambitious and dangerous Gul in Dukat who simply cannot be trusted - so much so that even Cardassians who are sticklers for the command structure and hierarchy are willing to subvert it to keep a check on Dukat. This should prove very interesting to see how it all plays out.

Now of course, there are questions galore to be asked. Just what will be found on the other side of the wormhole. We know in the Prime Universe it was the eventual fate to discover the Dominion and plunge the Alpha Quadrant into war. I'm betting that given your ability to subvert things that we are going to find something like that but it won't be the Dominion we know. It will be fascinating to learn just what they discover. And of course, there is the curious or ominous fact that the Federation have not claimed a right to the region. Does that suggest they discovered something better left alone? And of course, off in the direction of the Romulan Empire does that mean they risk war or Romulan interference? Fascinating.
mirandafave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2011, 06:26 AM   #22
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Thanks, MF

I hope I won't disappoint you with the rest and will meet the expectations

Old January 21 2012, 07:09 AM   #23
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Chapter 5

CMS Roumar

Jarol entered Zamarran’s office and stood in front of the desk. He gestured for her to sit down, so she slumped into a chair.

“I read your report and I read the communiqué Gul Dukat had sent me about the current situation,” the gul said, not taking his eyes from his monitor. “But I wonder if there is some...behind-the-scenes information you left out from your official report.” He looked at her.

She slowly shook her head, considering whether the detail about Dukat’s conduct toward her should be shared. Finally, she decided it was irrelevant. “No, sir. However, since Gul Toral was the source of all information, you might want to ask him that question.”

“I did think about it,” Zamarran admitted. “But it could be taken as going behind Dukat’s back and...it shouldn’t happen.”

“He wouldn’t know if you did it right.”

Zamarran’s eyes became harder for a moment. “The chance that you might not be caught doesn’t mean you should violate the order,” he chastised her. Then, after she lowered her head, his tone softened. “I believe Toral told Dukat everything and didn’t hide any facts. He’s the lowest ranking gul here, so it’s not his call to decide which information should and should not be reported.”

“Yes, sir,” she whispered. Suddenly, she felt her fatigue strengthened.

“Go to your quarters and rest. You must report to Dukat’s ship tomorrow morning one hour before your shifts starts.”

Why? What did he want from her? Have a breakfast with him? “Did he say why?” she tried to sound calm.

“No, he didn’t share that little detail. Dismissed.”

She left the office and dragged her feet toward the lift.

CMS Ravinok

“Damar, my office, please.”

The glinn looked at his gul and slowly followed him to the room behind the glass door.

The Ravinok was on its way to the destroyed Bajoran colony. Dukat had ordered the other two Cardassian warships to stay where they were and decided to investigate the matter himself.

“Have you sent the message I told you to?” Dukat asked Damar, sitting in his chair.

“Yes, sir. We did not receive any confirmation from the aliens, though.”

“Hmm...” Dukat leaned back in the chair, tapping his chin with his index finger. “Let’s hope they received it and will wait for us.”

“Sir...” Damar hesitated, but decided to ask the question. “Is there a reason why we left the other ships behind and go to meet those aliens alone?” He also wanted to ask why Dukat wanted so much to talk to those aliens, but it was not his place to ask for reasoning behind the gul’s orders. The truth was, it was not his place to ask about the decision of separating from the other ships either, but he felt he had to do it. He could get away with one request for explanation, but not with two and he felt this matter was more important than the other.

“It’s for their protection. If the aliens turn out to be aggressive, they destroy only our ship and not the others.”

Damar saw no merit in this explanation. “If they are hostile, we’d have better chances of survival if there were three warships instead of one. The risk would be minimal for any of us.”

Dukat rose. “This is very short-sighted, Damar. We don’t want to go and show off with our strength. This is supposed to be a diplomatic meeting.”

“Then why not keep our warships close enough to help us, should the need arise, but stay far enough not to intimidate the aliens?”

The gul scrutinised his officer for a moment. “Is this cowardice I hear?” he asked eventually and Damar did his best not to snap at that. “Are you afraid to die?”

“No, sir, my—”

“We have to work in the best interests of Cardassia and if that means risking our safety, then that’s what we have to do. If you are not up to taking such risks, then perhaps you should consider a change of career.”

The glinn exercised his acquired masterly self-command not to react violently to the insult. After years of serving under Dukat’s leadership, he’d learnt to hide his true feelings and not react openly to challenges Dukat threw at him each time Damar dared to express his doubts. He was long past believing in Dukat’s greatness and sometimes tried to protect the crew from the gul’s own faith in his infallibility. Getting the whole crew killed was more important than being called a coward.

So, he only asked, “Am I dismissed?”

Dukat narrowed his eyes and then said, “Inform me as soon as we are in communication range of the alien ship.”

“Yes, sir.”

Stepping down out of the office and walking to his post, not for the first time Damar thought that maybe it was worth considering applying for a transfer. He knew Dukat hindered his career and if nothing changed, Damar was going to stay a glinn and a gul’s aide forever. He’d seen younger soldiers with shorter command training service getting their promotions and their own ships, while he was still stuck in the same place without any chance for an advancement. Dukat found him useful, so didn’t see a reason to resign from him. It was flattering in a way, but it’d been over twenty years and with each following year it was less flattering and more annoying.

But if he transferred, what would happen to the crew? Who would protect them? Who would protect Yassel and other pretty, young officers like her? There was no way he’d transfer away and leave them all. The only command he’d take was the command of this ship after Dukat being gone—however that would happen.

He looked at Jarol, who was pretty bored, because she had little to do when there was nothing to communicate to the other ships. He approached her.

“Busy?” he asked.

“Do I look busy?” She sighed. There was no irritation in her voice, just resignation. “Frankly, I have no idea what I am doing here.”

You’ll learn soon enough, he thought. “Do you mind analysing some data?”

Her eyes shone. “I’d kill to have something useful to do.”

He smiled. “I’ll send it to you in a moment. I’d like you to estimate the alien’s value in battle. I have the report from our tactician, but I think another set of eyes might notice different things or come to difference conclusions.”

“I’ll get right on it.”

“We’re being hailed,” Yassel announced suddenly. “By the aliens.”

“Call Dukat to the bridge,” Damar ordered and a few moments later the gul stepped onto the deck and sat in the command chair.

“Open frequencies,” he ordered.

The alien with long, wrinkled ears filled the screen. “I have received your message and decided to meet you half-way. My name is Weyoun.”

“I’m Gul Dukat, the ranking Cardassian gul in his sector.”

Damar thought that it sounded like the sector belonged to Cardassian territory.

It’s a pleasure to meet you, Gul Dukat. I would like to learn more about you and your people.”

Dukat smiled. “Naturally.”

If we could meet personally, it would make our conversation much easier and perhaps more productive.

“How do you propose to do that?”

I could visit you on your mighty warship. I’d only take two Jem’Hadar with me.”

“Jem’Hadar?”

My soldiers,” Weyoun explained.

“I see. I’ll consider your proposal and will notify you by the time we’re in transported range. You have transporters, don’t you?”

Of course. I await your decision.”

The alien signed off and Damar looked at Dukat. “What does he want to talk about?”

“I intend to find out. Prepare the ship for his visit. I am sure those...Jem’Hadar are going to be armed, so make sure they don’t pose any threat to anyone or anything. Secure the stations and panels.” The gul looked at his tactician. “Motran, you will be personally responsible for safety of this ship, but also for safety of our unusual guest. I don’t want any incidents.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Jarol, it’s time to use your skill for something useful. Analyse the ships defensive and offensive capabilities. I’m sure we’re in the range to scan them properly.”

“Yes, sir, we are,” she confirmed and started working.

oOo

“Sir, we’re in transporter range,” Motral reposted suddenly.

Jarol raised her head to look at the tactician; she was so busy she didn’t feel the passage of it.

“Jarol, is you report ready?” Dukat asked her.

“Most of it, sir,” she answered. “There is a lot of hypothetical information that might turn out important, so I didn’t want to leave anything out.”

“Is there anything you consider especially important or accurate that you could tell me now?”

Jarol leaned over her console to study the readings and answer the question. A moment later she straightened back to look at an empty command chair. And just at the same time she felt a warm breath on her neck ridge.

“Well?” Dukat’s voice said softly into her ear.

Her heart stopped and she realised she felt like a trapped animal: she knew there was no escape and whatever she’d decide to do, the following results were not optimistic. She had two choices: either move away, squeezing herself between him and the console, which meant that the body contact would be made, or tell him to step back and face the consequences of talking that way to her superior. To the superior of her superior.

All those thoughts passed through her mind within a split second and even before they had fully formed, her mouth snapped. “Step back.” The growl in her throat, the anger mixed with fear, slight baring her teeth when she said the words...it all indicated that she was ready to bite, be damned the consequences.

The first thing she registered was Yassel’s face. Astonishment and admiration. Damar, who stood next to the female communication officer, slowly shook his head, sending Jarol a warning.

Dukat stepped back a bit and Jarol wasn’t sure if he was more surprised by her defensive attack, or...

One look at him was enough to know what it was: pure fury. If his sight could kill, she’d be dead on the deck now. But that fury was quickly replaced by a sickly sweet smile. Jarol wasn’t fooled; Dukat’s mood didn’t change. He was a master of hiding his true feelings.

“I meant nothing, of course,” he said, stepping back and raising his hands in a defensive gesture.

She didn’t buy any of it. And she mentally prepared herself for his revenge, for she was absolutely certain that this man didn’t leave any matters unfinished. And she had just become such an unfinished matter.

As insecure as it made her, she forced herself to look back at the panel to deliver her report. A wave of relief washed through her when Dukat’s shadow moved away. He returned to his chair.

“Stay with me at all times.” Jarol raised her eyes to meet the blue eyes of Dukat’s aide. He had a serious look on his face. He had soundlessly approached her console and now stood on the other side of it with a padd in his hand.

“Why?” she asked quietly, returning to her work.

He punched a few buttons on his padd, glancing at her console to make an impression of imputing the data he was reading into his device. “Because what you did was probably the most foolish thing you have done in your entire life,” he said quietly, studying a diagram on his padd’s display. He looked up at her and seeing her almost panicked face, he barked, “Carry on!”

She understood the message and forced herself to control her emotions and concentrate on her work.

tbc

Old January 21 2012, 03:54 PM   #24
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Good for Zamarran! It seems this Jarol may have the temptation to take matters into her own hands just because it's more expedient--though thankfully not as strongly expressed as in the canon universe--and Zamarran looks like he's fully prepared to nip that dangerous tendency right in the bud. (I also suspect this may be why Zamarran has yet to recommend her for promotion...he wants to make sure this tendency has been tamed first.) Hopefully his principles would also extend to Dukat's unwanted overtures, and if Jarol reported that to him, he would keep her safe from him...since the safety of his crew would be a large enough matter to defy orders for.

And...whoa! This Jarol wasn't willing to be treated like a toy by Dukat, the way the canon one was! I wonder if that's because she's been used to watching Zamarran sass that Obsidian Order agent.

From Damar's warning, though...it seems as though Dukat has now moved Jarol from the "seduce" category to the "rape as soon as possible" category. That is very, very scary.

Just as scary as the Dominion, I think.
Old January 22 2012, 02:46 AM   #25
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

And...whoa! This Jarol wasn't willing to be treated like a toy by Dukat, the way the canon one was! I wonder if that's because she's been used to watching Zamarran sass that Obsidian Order agent.
I'm not sure there is any particular reason that could explain the difference. he might have snapped in the other situation, or she might be paralysed here.

There are two factors I think might influence it: it was in front of the crew (so in a way she was safer than being in his quarters alone with him) and she is married here. Maybe it felt like cheating if she not reacted harshly.

But she certainly didn't let Dukat make her a toy in my other story. She was scared and paralysed by fear; that's why she didn't react the same way. She didn't ask for it and she didn't enjoy it!
From Damar's warning, though...it seems as though Dukat has now moved Jarol from the "seduce" category to the "rape as soon as possible" category. That is very, very scary.
I'm not sure what he wants to do now--I don't want to know--but he certainly wants to teach her a lesson not to defy her. He is used to people following his orders...all people and all orders. He was ready to kill Ziyal for defying him, so I see nothing that could stop him from hurting a woman who is not his family.

Old January 22 2012, 03:32 AM   #26
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Gul Re'jal wrote: View Post
But she certainly didn't let Dukat make her a toy in my other story. She was scared and paralysed by fear; that's why she didn't react the same way. She didn't ask for it and she didn't enjoy it!
Ii didn't mean it in the sense of wanting the sexual contact--but her fear did make her submit to what Dukat wanted without an open objection like this one. That's what he does--he sees vulnerability and then gets such people wrapped around his little finger to where they do his bidding. I also think there was some hero worship that kept her from reporting it--some part of her that thought she should suffer whateve indignities because Dukat had convinced her to be grateful to him.

Hopefully in this universe she'll report it. Zamarran needs to know so he can take protective measures too.

He was ready to kill Ziyal for defying him, so I see nothing that could stop him from hurting a woman who is not his family.
We'll see what this Damar does, and how far out of Dukat's sway he really is now. His help will be critical along with Zamarran's.
Old January 22 2012, 03:49 AM   #27
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

I also think there was some hero worship that kept her from reporting it--some part of her that thought she should suffer whateve indignities because Dukat had convinced her to be grateful to him.
This is possible. There was only one person she told about it and I think it was years after that happened. Before then, she was too scared and probably lying to herself that maybe she misinterpreted everything, or provoked him in some way. Her perception of him was very, very distorted.

We'll see what this Damar does, and how far out of Dukat's sway he really is now. His help will be critical along with Zamarran's.
On the show, we never saw Damar really coming to the conclusion what Dukat did to Cardassia, but we saw him starting to understand some things. I think that with time he would also see through his own hero worship and in this story he's under Dukat's command for such a long time that he had to see a lot of Dukat's orders, actions and results of decisions.

Soon you'll see if he's completely disillusioned or there's still some of that worship left.

Old January 22 2012, 04:55 AM   #28
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Chapter 6

CMS Ravinok

“Sir.” Damar entered Dukat’s office with, he hoped, air of confidence.

“Yes, Damar, what is it?” The gul didn’t even raise his head from a padd he was studying.

“Are you unsatisfied with my performance, sir?”

That caught Dukat’s attention. “No, not at all. Why would you think so?”

“I must admit I am puzzled.” Damar took a step forward, closing to Dukat’s desk. “If my service as an aide is satisfactory and up to your high standards, then why do you need an aide from another warship?”

Dukat leaned back in his chair. “Damar, she is here not to replace you, but to co-ordinate our manoeuvres with the other ships.”

“I can do that. I am not afraid of taking more responsibilities...and I don’t want to fail you.” Damar knew that if he wanted to achieve his goal, he had to make it look like it was Dukat’s benevolence and kind heart that had led him to the ‘unnecessary’ decision of bringing Jarol on board. And stroking Dukat’s ego never failed. The glinn was unable to read Dukat’s face and as the moment of silence stretched, he began to wonder if he hadn’t just brought trouble on himself. It was possible that Dukat assumed Damar was an idiot who didn’t understand the real reasons why Jarol was on the Ravinok.

“I know what you’re thinking,” Dukat said finally, raising from his chair and approaching his officer. “You are angry with her for her disrespectful behaviour on the bridge a few days ago.”

Damar didn’t lose a second and immediately used the opportunity. “Her behaviour was outrageous and I don’t want her on the ship. You deserve a crew better than that.”

Dukat smiled graciously. “All right, Damar. Send her back to her warship.”

“Thank you, sir.” The glinn didn’t have to fake his relief.

He left the office and at once went to Jarol. “Leave the ship,” he said quietly. “And do it quickly, before he changes his mind.” She uncertainly looked at the door to the gul’s office. Dukat observed them through the half-glass door. “I said get off the ship!” Damar barked louder for his commander’s benefit and then added impatiently, “I’ll do it myself.” He grabbed her elbow and pulled her toward the lift door. She was so surprised that she didn’t resist.

They entered the lift. “Sorry,” he said, withdrawing his hand as soon as the door closed, cutting them off from the bridge. “I had to put a show for him.”

She observed him for a moment. “Can I really return to my ship?” she asked.

“Yes. Tell your gul everything that happened. I complained to Dukat about your presence here and your outrageous behaviour.” He rolled his eyes as a sign he didn’t really mean it. “He bought it. So it’s better if your gul plays the game for your and my safety.”

“Damar, how can I thank you?”

He smiled. “If you want to thank me, help Yassel get off this ship, too. She deserves better than that.” He felt almost sick, saying those words. He liked women; he liked them a lot. He liked their company, but wanted it to be enjoyable for both him and his lady. ‘No’ meant ‘no’ and he had no problems with accepting refusal. But for Dukat it wasn’t about beauty of blue chanths, it was about power and domination over someone’s life, including their body. For Yassel’s safety, Damar and Yassel pretended she was Damar’s woman, but the glinn was sure he had noticed Dukat losing patience and it was more than probable that soon the gul would stop being loyal to his officer and take his woman. Damar liked Yassel and didn’t want any harm to happen to her.

“I’ll try,” she promised.

“Don’t try,” he snapped. “Do it!”

She nodded sharply. “I’ll do it!”

The lift doors opened and they headed for her temporary quarters to pick up her things. Then he escorted her to the transporter chamber. He had no idea how nervous he was, until she safely left the Ravinok and was beyond Dukat’s reach.

He was on his way back to the bridge, when he was informed about the alien delegation returning for another session of talks. It was the fifth meeting and Damar already knew a great deal about their society. They called themselves the Dominion and were led by the Founders, whom Weyoun and his guards considered gods. The glinn found it amusing, but did his best not to show his opinion to their...guests. However, he was impressed by the order the troops were organised by and wondered if some of those solutions couldn’t be adapted to the Cardassian military.

He headed for a transporter chamber to welcome Weyoun and his Jem’Hadar and to escort them to Dukat’s office. There, as usually, he motioned to his seat but Dukat changed the routine and told him to report to the bridge. Damar found it weird to be asked to leave, but he didn’t protest. The Jem’Hadar guards stayed outside and Dukat was alone in the room with the Vorta—as the alien called his species—who didn’t look like someone who could pose a physical threat to a Cardassian, so the glinn couldn’t use the argument of staying inside for security reasons as an excuse to be present and listen to what they were discussing.

He didn’t like the idea of leaving. He had witnessed some of talks and he noticed that Weyoun not only shared information about the Dominion, but also gathered a lot of information about the Cardassian Union and it was obvious that politics were the matter he wanted to know most about. The last time the Vorta managed to manipulate Dukat to reveal much too much information by manoeuvring the gul and making him presenting his own role in the structures of power greatly overestimated. Damar had to admit that Weyoun knew exactly how to make Dukat tell him everything he wanted; it only took playing on the gul’s egotism. All attempts to warn Dukat failed, as he had seemed to enjoy drawing picture of himself being so great, so in the end Damar was paid with denial to join the discussion as the reward of his caution. He dreaded what might be going on behind that closed door now. He was certain the Vorta noticed his reserve and now, with Damar gone, Weyoun could become even bolder in his approach.

“Damar, there’s something I want to show you,” Yassel said quietly, approaching him. He followed her to the communication console. “I keep an eye...an ear...” She grinned. “On everything in space and I noticed that the Dominion ship is in contact with...something or someone.”

“There’s nothing surprising about that,” he said. “We’d do the same if we were in range of our empire. They probably send reports and such.”

“Well, yes, that was my initial thought, but there seems to be more than that. It’s possible that their technology is so different from ours that it appears to be more than just simple reports, but it’s also possible that...” She hesitated.

He nodded, encouraging her to continue. “Go on.”

“My guess would be that it’s an extensive visual communication. And it happens only when the Vorta is aboard his own ship, so I think he talks to someone. A lot.”

“Informing his superiors of our talks and getting instructions on how to proceed,” he wondered.

“I thought the same thing.”

“Did you tell Dukat about that.”

“I’d rather you do it.”

He understood her perfectly. Limiting her direct interaction with the gul was something he had suggested himself. “I will.”

“There’s more,” Raseen suddenly joined them.

Damar looked at the Obsidian Order agent. “What do you mean?”

“My guess is that Dukat already knows about those communiques. I’m sure Weyoun reports everything to his superiors and each subsequent meeting in the office—” He nodded toward the door to Dukat’s room. “—is the result of new orders he receives.”

Damar tried to hide his impatience; it wasn’t a good idea to irritate the political officer. “You said there’s more.”

Raseen seemed to consider whether to answer, as for a moment he just stood, biting his lower lip and looking to the left. Then he grabbed Damar’s elbow and pulled him away, out of Yassel’s earshot. “I know Dukat is also in contact with Weyoun while the Vorta is on his ship.”

Damar raised an eye ridge. “Talking face to face is not enough?” He didn’t have to ask where Raseen had the information from, because he was certain the agent knew a lot about everyone on the warship. The question was why he was sharing it with the glinn now. It wasn’t a standard procedure.

“I do not know, but I am going to confront him about that. I don’t like the fact that he has secret conversations with some aliens and...right now even the talks aboard our own ship are uncontrolled.”

“What do you mean?”

“You, people, find a lot of ingenious ways to deactivate our...devices and each attempt of bringing them back to operation is counteracted by even more ingenious actions.” It was no news for Damar. Everyone knew that the Obsidian Order bugged everything and everyone tried to have some privacy, scrambling and fooling the bugs. “But he is there alone with that slimy alien and I don’t trust him.”

“You mean you’d trust me?”

“I trust that neither you nor Dukat would trust each other to do something unlawful in the other’s presence. But right now he’s out of control and this cannot go on.”

“What can you do?”

“Let me worry about that.” Raseen shook his head and went away, leaving Damar puzzled why that conversation had happened at all.

Old January 22 2012, 04:55 AM   #29
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

CMS Roumar

“He did what?!” Brenok yelled and started toward the door, his brain literally flying behind him.

“Where are you going?” Jarol asked.

The long-haired glinn answered not turning back. “To tell him what I think about such an immoral gapgar!”

Jarol jumped to her feet. “Stop! Are you crazy?” But he didn’t slow down. “Computer, lock the door.” She was glad they were in her quarters and she didn’t need any code to lock her own door; her voice print was sufficient for the command to be accepted.

“Let me out,” Brenok laughed.

“Not until you cool down.”

She had told her friend how Gul Dukat had trapped her a few days earlier. Brenok’s reaction was indignation and fury. She knew him and she knew that there were moments when Arenn was reckless and did before thinking. She didn’t want him executed because of one man’s sick and lewd mind.

“Someone has to tell that bastard how to treat ladies.” He gestured vividly when speaking. “Your husband isn’t here to protect you, so it’s my job as your...brother’s.” He smiled saying the last word. They were only friends and shared no blood, but that’s how they felt about each other. They had been supporting each other for years and their relationship grew beyond friendship.

“I’d rather have a living brother than a dead one.”

“Ati, what he did...” Brenok just shook his head instead of finishing.

She opened her mouth to say that it had been nothing and that it didn’t matter, but she knew it was a lie. She had been terrified at that moment, appalled and disgusted by the indecent behaviour of her superior officer and the time didn’t diminish those feelings. “I’m just glad I don’t have to be there any longer.” There was a short moment she’d found him charming and irresistible—during that romantic dinner in his quarters—but she shook that misguided feeling very quickly, especially in the light of his subsequent behaviour. And even if her temporary blindness wouldn’t vaporise as quickly as it did, she could never be unfaithful to Tiron.

Brenok paced in the room and she could clearly see that he was still agitated. His hands were on his hips and from time to time he shook his head with most likely disbelief. He was furious. “Why didn’t you tell me earlier? Why didn’t you tell Zamarran?”

“And then what? Return to his ship and face the consequences? I was in enough trouble and didn’t need any more. Damar tried to protect me, but I am certain his power is limited and there are some things even he can’t prevent. Can you imagine what would happen if Zamarran confronted Dukat about it? What would happen to me for telling on him?”

Brenok fumed. “Zamarran wouldn’t let you return to that ship! Who do you think he is?!”

“What if he’d get an order? You know what he’s like. Duty and order, regulations and rules.”

The man snorted. He was just about to say something, but one look at her kept him silent. “I can’t even imagine how scared you had to be,” he said softly.

“I still am.”

“Did you talk to Zamarran now?”

“I did. I had to pass a message to him.”

“And?”

“And what?”

“Will he follow rules?”

She smiled softly. “He said he’ll help. But I’m sure he’ll do it following all possible rules.”

Brenok sat next to her and she was glad to see he was calming down.

CMS Roumar

Gul Zamarran was sitting in his office, trying not to explode. Last night Jarol had returned to the Roumar with a horrible story and he was still very angry, mostly at himself for agreeing to Dukat’s idea of her temporary transfer. What made him even more irritated was that he couldn’t do anything about Dukat’s indecent behaviour—not until that other officer, Yassel, was off the Ravinok. He understood he had to play the game Glinn Damar had started for the safety of that young woman, but the fact that such a rotten man was not facing charges and consequences for his—clearly typical and common—behaviour was driving Zamarran crazy. It was against everything he believed in. He had even asked Jarol if she was ready to postpone charging Dukat for the sake of Yassel and as terrified as she was, she had agreed.

He didn’t start his day yet, when someone appeared at his door. He looked up to see who had chimed and didn’t hide his surprise at seeing Gul Dukat’s aide. He raised his hand and waved for the officer to enter.

“What can I do for you, Glinn Damar?”

“There is something I need to talk about to you, sir.”

“Something that you cannot talk about to your gul,” Zamarran guessed. Was it about Yassel?

“That’s correct.”

“Sit down.” Zamarran waited for Damar to sit and then said, “So, what brings you to me.”

The younger man took a breath and the gul knew it wasn’t easy for him. And it shouldn’t be. Damar had his own superior and instead of going with his problem to Dukat, he was here, in Zamarran’s office. The gul was not only not his direct commanding officer, he was also subordinate of Damar’s commander. This situation violated at least two regulations.

But Zamarran was ready to hear him out and then judge.

“Sir, as you know, Gul Dukat is conducting talks with the Vorta.”

“Yes, I am aware of that. However, Dukat didn’t inform me of the nature of those talks.”

“Generally, they are exchange of information. The Vorta describes in detail their political system, Gul Dukat in return tells him about our political situation.”

“Sounds harmless.” Zamarran wasn’t sure if it really was harmless, but talking about facts didn’t have to mean anything dangerous. Though, sharing too much information might be considered treason.

“It appeared harmless in the beginning. But the talks started to involve hypothetical situations...” The glinn hesitated. “I was excluded yesterday and right now Dukat talks to the Vorta without any witnesses.”

“I’m sure your political officer keeps an...ear on everything.”

Damar drew the air loudly and Zamarran knew it was not the end of revelations. “The Vorta is in constant contact with someone, presumably his superiors. Dukat is in constant contact with the Vorta.”

“What do you mean?”

“Our political officer detected communication between Dukat and the Dominion ship. He didn’t specify if Dukat contacted the Vorta from his office or his quarters, but he was certain of that fact.”

“He told you that?” Zamarran couldn’t imagine an Obsidian Order agent sharing any kind of information with any officer. Nadar certainly wouldn’t do anything like that.

“For whatever reason, he did.”

“I would like to talk to him myself, if it’s possible.” Dukat’s behaviour was strange and the gul was not going to ignore it.

“Raseen told me he was going to confront Dukat.”

“Did he?”

“I don’t know. I can’t find him since the morning. He just...isn’t aboard the Ravinok any longer. There is no trace of him beaming out anywhere; there is no trace of him at all.”

Zamarran didn’t need it spelled out at his face: Dukat had got rid of his witness. The Ravinok’s gul was plotting and he didn’t want anyone interrupt him. There was one element of this puzzle that didn’t fit the whole picture—no one, regardless how badly plotting, dared to eliminate an Obsidian Order agent, because it meant more trouble than gain and only drew more attention. But! They were far from home and the number of agents was extremely limited here. But! They would return home eventually and then Dukat would have a lot of explaining to do, unless he came with a convenient and believable story of his political officer’s disappearance, which wouldn’t be that difficult, considering they were in an unknown, uncharted and dangerous place.

“What do you want me to do?” the gul asked.

Damar shook his head. “I don’t know, sir. But something must be done before it’s too late, whatever those two are discussing in there.” The glinn made a face and Zamarran wasn’t surprised—it had to feel terrible to lose respect for one’s gul and do such things behind his back.

“Keep observing,” Zamarran said. “And keep me updated. I’ll keep my sensors on any incoming and outgoing communication.”

“I’ll try to gain access to the talks.” Disgust on his face was palpable. Zamarran wasn’t sure if lying and scheming behind his gul’s back caused the feeling, or the events that had led to it.

“All right. If that’s all, I think it will be prudent if you now returned to your warship.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Oh, and Damar...” The glinn was on his way to the door, but stopped and turned to look at Zamarran. “I’m working on some way to get that officer, Yassel, off your ship.”

“Thank you, sir.”

Zamarran smiled. That was one decent officer. “Dismissed.”

Damar left, leaving the gul with an unpleasant feeling of something really bad coming to all of them.

tbc

Old January 22 2012, 05:20 AM   #30
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

I can't believe it...I'm actually rooting for Nadar here, for him to figure out what happened to Raseen and help in taking down Dukat. I'm pretty sure I know what Dukat's trying to pull here, and we know where that path leads.

I am glad to see that Damar isn't putting up with his gul's behavior. He was quite bold and actually kind of a gentleman (all fake anger aside). And what he's doing for Yassel...it really fits, how you explain it as pretending to be "Damar's woman." That reminds me of the "Captain's Woman" in the Mirror Universe. Dukat would fit very well there, wouldn't he?

I'm so glad to see that Jarol and Brenok talked themselves into the reasonable course of action: going to Zamarran. I hope there'll be a way, someday, to stop playing this whole charade and take Dukat down. And of course to save Yassel, too.