New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 21 2012, 07:03 AM   #31
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Re: The SINGLE GREATEST MOMENT in TOS !!!

The 'Risk is our Business' speech in 'Return to Tomorrow' it encapsulates not just the show but an attitude for life itself. One can always find reasons to hesitate and good reasons when mistakes can come with great loss and penalty. However, that conservatism which will risk nothing gains little to nothing and seldom grows strong enough or well to face unforeseen difficulty. Risk is hair brained, even fatal, but it has rewards of gaining experience and knowledge making dangers and challenges that come from the unforeseen far more manageable and solvable.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2012, 03:38 PM   #32
HGN2001
Commander

I like all of the above suggestions and find them of merit. I'll add one that most will probably not mention from an episode that's not well-loved, the final moment of "Requiem For Methuselah."

After Kirk's wish to "forget" his recent ordeal, and McCoy's echoing of that sentiment, Spock takes it upon himself to grant his friend's request. It was a moving moment in the series, and one that I will never "forget."

Harry
HGN2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2012, 04:59 PM   #33
Captain Tracy
Commander

Too True, it is a strikingly kind and caring moment, and quite outside the scope of the typical interplay demonstrated between the characters.

Good one.
Old January 22 2012, 07:27 PM   #34
Gary7
Rear Admiral

HGN2001 wrote: View Post
I like all of the above suggestions and find them of merit. I'll add one that most will probably not mention from an episode that's not well-loved, the final moment of "Requiem For Methuselah."

After Kirk's wish to "forget" his recent ordeal, and McCoy's echoing of that sentiment, Spock takes it upon himself to grant his friend's request. It was a moving moment in the series, and one that I will never "forget."

Harry
I'm so glad you posted this. It's one of my favorites too.

There isn't one single greatest moment, for me anyway. But there are definitely many great moments.

I love that "Risk is our business" speech. It exemplifies so much of what sci-fi has touched on over the years. This is the speech Dr. Rush should have made to the crew aboard Destiny.

Kirk realizing the Horta is intelligent and deserves to be protected.

When Kirk tells the Vians how they've lost compassion, that they're nothing but intellect... and it dawns upon them that he's right.

At the end of "Balance of Terror", when Kirk extends a hand of rescue to the Romulan commander.

In Plato's Stepchildren, when Kirk informs Scotty, "prepare to beam us up. I have a little surprise for you. I'm bringing a visitor aboard." And Alexander beams a big smile.

"The Savage Curtain", when Kirk first welcomes Abraham Lincoln aboard. You can see how taken he is with this incarnation, remarkably realistic.

The end of "Who Mourns for Adonais?". McCoy laments how he wished they hadn't had to do this. And Kirk says "So do I. They gave us so much. The Greek civilisation, much of our culture and philosophy came from a worship of those beings. In a way, they began the Golden Age. Would it have hurt us, I wonder, just to have gathered a few laurel leaves?"

The ending of the Menagerie, Part II... when the Talosians show Kirk how Pike has found his place, and as they wish Kirk well in his journey, he pauses to smile. I could almost see Shatner's hope and promise for what lays ahead in the next season of Star Trek.
Old January 22 2012, 09:59 PM   #35
CaptainMatt
Fleet Captain

Captain Tracy wrote: View Post
It is a great gag to be sure, but do suppose some of the merit of the scene comes with the sense of satisfaction - on the good doctors part - for FINALLY getting the girl,.. well, actually more than one girl LOL!

Sort of like getting his just due compensation for all of KIRK's high-jinx he has had to claim witness to,... while sitting on the sidelines?

Too many chose examples of drama anyway so I went with something different. McCoy has seldom had the last word or a chance to shine above and beyond his friends so I think this shows that the character is just as well-loved as they are and capable of providing some comic relief.
CaptainMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2012, 01:55 AM   #36
Anji
Rear Admiral

View Anji's Twitter Profile

When Scotty socks the Klingon in the bar for calling the Enterprise a "garbage scow".

Yeah, you don't disrespect THE SHIP!
Old January 23 2012, 02:03 AM   #37
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Anji wrote: View Post
When Scotty socks the Klingon in the bar for calling the Enterprise a "garbage scow".

Yeah, you don't disrespect THE SHIP!
That and the dressing down by Kirk later when he's trying to find out who started the fight. Kirk's reactions to Scotty's explanation are priceless.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2012, 12:00 PM   #38
foxhot
Fleet Captain

It's brilliantly written........though as a ten-year-old back in the day I couldn't understand why the adults around me kept laughing at Scotty's comments. Like every episode of BATMAN, it went straight over my head until years later.
foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2012, 07:05 PM   #39
Lucky
Commander

I'm in agreement with those who say Edith's death. It was such a powerful moment, Kirk having to let the woman he had grown to love die to preserve the future.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2012, 10:36 PM   #40
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

I have to go with Amok Time that fight scene is the best !!! So dramatic !! Another favourite of mine is Space Seed kirk Spock and McCoy have a debate with khan some classic tension !!!
Old January 24 2012, 11:57 PM   #41
Balrog
Commodore

In 'Balance of Terror' when McCoy is in Kirk's quarters giving him an answer to Kirk's rhetorical question, ending with, "Don't give up on the one named 'Kirk'."

Also, in 'A Taste of Armageddon' when Kirk agrees with Anan 7 that humans are killers. "We can admit we're killers, but we're not going to kill today. And that's all it takes, knowing that we're not going to kill. Today."
Old January 25 2012, 12:18 AM   #42
spockrocks
Lieutenant Commander

For me it may be when Spock saw Jim alive after he thought he had killed him at the end of "Amok Time."
spockrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2012, 02:11 AM   #43
Cyclist
Ensign

Stella Mudd's appearance in 'I, Mudd'. SUCH a hottie.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2012, 03:05 AM   #44
Bixby
Commander

Shirtless Kirk fighting the 3 other drill thralls in The GAMESTERS of TRISKELLION: one of the longest extended fight scenes, with the funniest rules of battle (watch as Kirk repeatedly steps on the wrong coloured tiles but still doesn't get penalized). Great choreography...Shatner at his best!

It's tied with the end battle in A PRIVATE LITTLE WAR: high drama as Tyree's wife plays both sides against her husband's tribe, is ravaged and quickly killed as Kirk and Tyree appear. A vicious fight ensues, ending with the look of despair on Tyree's face after he mercilessly pulps his enemy's face. Bonus points as Kirk is completely overwhelmed at how seriously his interference has f'ed up his longtime friend's life... No easy solution this time for J.T.
Bixby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2012, 03:00 AM   #45
Captain Tracy
Commander

Lloyd Dobler wrote: View Post
In 'Balance of Terror' when McCoy is in Kirk's quarters giving him an answer to Kirk's rhetorical question, ending with, "Don't give up on the one named 'Kirk'."

Also, in 'A Taste of Armageddon' when Kirk agrees with Anan 7 that humans are killers. "We can admit we're killers, but we're not going to kill today. And that's all it takes, knowing that we're not going to kill. Today."
Yes, the scene you cite from Armageddon, is extremely powerful - good one