Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 15 2012, 10:17 AM   #121
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Kertrats47 wrote: View Post
Finished James Swallow's Titan novel, Synthesis. Review here! I'm now all caught up on Titan.
Just to be sure: Have you read Typhon Pact: Seize the Fire ? That one is a Titan novel as well, although it doesn't has the series title on the cover.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2012, 05:52 PM   #122
Cap'n Crunch
Captain

I finished Supernatural: Coyote's Kiss. I'm about to start on Star Trek: Myriad Universes: The Tears of Eridanus.
Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that. - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2012, 02:29 AM   #123
Kertrats47
Fleet Captain

View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile

Defcon wrote: View Post
Kertrats47 wrote: View Post
Finished James Swallow's Titan novel, Synthesis. Review here! I'm now all caught up on Titan.
Just to be sure: Have you read Typhon Pact: Seize the Fire ? That one is a Titan novel as well, although it doesn't has the series title on the cover.
Indeed I have! I read it when it was released last year, I just hadn't yet read Synthesis.
Trek Lit Reviews (Seekers #1: Second Nature by David Mack - August 31st, 2014)
2014 Star Trek Book Releases
Kertrats47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2012, 02:35 AM   #124
ICW
Lieutenant Commander

Finally found some time to read the rest of A Choice of Catastrophes and I found it to be pretty average; I was expecting a little more.

Moving onto the S.C.E. novel Orphans
ICW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2012, 04:00 AM   #125
Destructor
Commodore

Yesterday finished Furies of Calderon, book one of Jim Butcher's 'The Alera Codex'. It was... okay, but not great. By the end of it I was pretty much reading it to get it over and done with. I have the rest of a books (a friend gave me the entire series) but I'm not super excited to get on to with the next one.

After that I started book 1 of The Hunger Games. Pretty good so far, about four chapters in.
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2012, 04:20 AM   #126
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

By the way, if you're curious about The Hunger Games but don't want to drop ten bucks or so on it, the Kindle version is currently available for $4.69.
Sakrysta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2012, 02:53 PM   #127
MikeRy71
Ensign

Picked up Star Trek: Voyager Unworthy...Cannot put it down!!
I'll more than likely go back and get Full Circle then Children of the Storm.
MikeRy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2012, 03:30 PM   #128
Kertrats47
Fleet Captain

View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile

MikeRy71 wrote: View Post
Picked up Star Trek: Voyager Unworthy...Cannot put it down!!
I'll more than likely go back and get Full Circle then Children of the Storm.
I love the Voyager relaunch, especially Unworthy and Children of the Storm! They are absolutely fantastic. I can't wait for The Eternal Tide later this year.

Just finished Diane Duane's Doctor's Orders (here's the review), and I'm now reading I, Q by John de Lancie and Peter David. I'm about a third of the way in, and I'm not totally sure what I think about it so far...
Trek Lit Reviews (Seekers #1: Second Nature by David Mack - August 31st, 2014)
2014 Star Trek Book Releases
Kertrats47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2012, 03:52 AM   #129
JD
Admiral

Finished "The Ruins of Noble Men", the third novella in Vanguard: Declassified last night. I absolutely loved the story, especially the ending which is IMO a perfect Trek ending. I just really hope that somewhere along the line Marco gets another chance to write a Trek story, because he definitely writes Trek stories just as well as he edits them. My Rating: 10/10
Old January 17 2012, 06:03 PM   #130
indianatrekker26
Captain

Currently about halfway through Star Wars: Darth Plaguies. Simply amazing novel that i can't put down.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2012, 01:18 PM   #131
Killie
Lieutenant Junior Grade

View Killie's Twitter Profile

Just finished The Eugenics Wars: The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh Vol 2 by Greg Cox. I have to admit I was a little bit disappointed as it didn't live up to what I was hoping for. Anyway, my reivew is Here for anyone who is interested.

Now currently reading Daedalus by Dave Stern
Killie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2012, 02:41 PM   #132
GalaxyClass1701
Captain

View GalaxyClass1701's Twitter Profile

Star Wars Outbound Flight.
GalaxyClass1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2012, 02:04 AM   #133
C. Cole-Chakotay
Commodore

Living History by Hillary Clinton.
Eulalia!!! Redwall!!
C. Cole-Chakotay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2012, 05:53 AM   #134
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

I wrapped up Rough Beasts of Empire this morning before work. You know how annoying it is to be 30 or so pages from the end of a book and be simply unable to keep your eyes open long enough to finish?!?! Yeah, you guys are all readers. You've been there.

So, I have a few things to say about this one. I'm going to spoiler tag it though, because even though this has been out over a year now, I know some of you in this thread are just now getting caught up like me. But first, most of what bothered me about this book was a result of the decision to jump the DS9 characters forward in the continuity. And of course, that's not just an issue here, but has been an element of all the Typhon Pact books. However, it was in this story that the frustration really began to bother me and pull me out of enjoying the book. All the painful and weighty events that have brought these characters that I love to the point of their actions in this book are empty holes in my brain. I really could have wished that one or more of the Myriad and Mirror trades could have instead been devoted to bringing DS9 forward in a less jarring way. Knowing intellectually that these characters have had all this time to change and grow (or regress in some cases) doesn't help me accept it on an emotional level. There's nothing that happens that couldn't have logically grown from each character's arc where it left off, but being dropped into it with only the occasional oblique reference to how they got there - again, "jarring" is the most apt descriptor I can come up with.

I know that was mostly negative, and I'm truly sorry for that. It's really not about the writing, or even so much about the specific story. My dissatisfaction is primarily an outgrowth of my frustration over that huge gap in time. I have a hard enough time keeping up with the chronology and all these characters and events without being intentionally left in the dark.

C'est la vie. On to Paths of Disharmony.
Sakrysta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2012, 02:28 AM   #135
Daddy Todd
Captain

So far in January:

Space: 1999: Rogue Planet by E. C. Tubb
The Survivors by Marion Zimmer Bradley & Paul Edwin Zimmer
The Eyes of the Overworld (audiobook) by Jack Vance
Space: 1999: Alien Seed by E.C. Tubb
Quantum of Solace: The Complete James Bond Short Stories (audiobook) by Ian Fleming
Dumarest #1: The Winds of Gath by E.C. Tubb
The Heirs of Hammerfell by Marion Zimmer Bradley
Dumarest #2: Derai by E.C. Tubb

Currently listening to Carte Blanche by Jeffrey Deaver (the James Bond "reboot")(I quite like it) at the gym, and casting about for something to read. I've been toying with Toyman, the next Dumarest book, but it hasn't grabbed me yet. I'm virtually out of Marion Zimmer Bradley; I'll have to resort to one of her late-career "collaborations" (really ghostwritten) such as Tiger Burning Bright or the Trillium books if I want to continue my project to read all MZB's work, which started in 2010.
Daddy Todd is offline   Reply With Quote