Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old January 19 2012, 10:30 PM   #631
CaptainMatt
Fleet Captain

Re: Does It Get Better???

exodus wrote: View Post
CaptainMatt wrote: View Post
I've seen lots of his posts and they are not all that funny. He is crude.
That's why he's funny.
I find him a refreshing mix of Dennis Miller & Dennis Leary.

That is your opinion. Mine says otherwise. We will just have to try and live with both.
CaptainMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2012, 12:44 AM   #632
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Imagine how I feel!?

I have to live with him.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2012, 12:47 AM   #633
CaptainMatt
Fleet Captain

Back to the topic at hand:

Voyager DOES get better as you go along. Season One is certainly NOT the best way to judge the series' worth as a whole.
CaptainMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2012, 12:50 AM   #634
tighr
Commodore

Well, Screed is now officially into Season 4, so its safe to say that from here on out things get better. There are some very good episodes coming up, I'm personally looking forward to seeing his scores for them.
Old January 20 2012, 01:25 AM   #635
Misco
Commander

Catching up with the episodes you've watched so far AdmiralScreed...

Scorpian - I like it a lot, especially the second part. The conflict between Janeway and Chakotay is good to see. (If only there were more of it.) The introduction of Seven is great and despite the fact that I don't like that Kes got dumped by the show, Seven is a much better character. Or the writers cared more about her. Either way, I'm always happy to see Seven of Nine. In regards to the Borg argument that went on in the thread, Voyager does weaken the Borg a little overall but the more something is used the more people will think it sucks. Familiarity breeds contempt and all that. Myself, I don't think the Borg are weakened in Scorpian. The introduction of a more threatening species, or a worthy adversary to the Borg if you like, merely served to make them more realistic. Plus, I like Species 8472.

The Gift - I'm always sorry to see Kes go but happy they at least gave her a relatively dignified exit. It could have been much worse. The goodbye scene between Kes and Janeway was lovely. I also particularly like that Janeway and Tuvok are the last to be with her before she leaves the ship; both the closest to a mother/father she has on the ship. The scene between Kes and Neelix is good too, giving that relationship a little bit of badly needed closure after the quick cut off during Warlord. I also think it's interesting that Janeway lets a daughter figure go in this episode only for her to be replaced by the extremely troublesome Seven of Nine. The relationship with whom, though more rocky, will ultimately be far more rewarding.

Day of Honor - This is a really nice Tom/B'Elanna episode. One of their best together. I too liked the warp core ejection and I thought that the confession of love whilst floating in space with only a short time to live was very effective. They say Trek does romance badly, and it does for the most part, but this scene was one of the better romantic ones Trek has produced.

tighr, I always liked Season 4 best with Season 5 coming a close second but I never thought it was that much better. However, I've nearly finished my season 4 rewatch and boy, it's good! It's really good. I don't think I've ranked an episode below a three (out of five) yet.
Misco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2012, 01:32 AM   #636
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain

I'm not sure that says much, that you haven't rated an episode below a 3! Since 3 is a pretty awful score.

Edit - realized I misread, thought you meant you hadn't rated a single episode below 3/10! But you meant 3/5.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofz1Zbpkxys
You_Will_Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2012, 01:32 AM   #637
RoJoHen
Awesome

^I think Tom and B'Elanna are one of the only romances that Trek actually does justice to. Nothing about them ever felt forced or awkward, and I mostly think that's because Roxann Dawson and Robert Duncan McNeill have great chemistry.
Old January 20 2012, 01:33 AM   #638
RoJoHen
Awesome

You_Will_Fail wrote: View Post
I'm not sure that says much, that you haven't rated an episode below a 3! Since 3 is a pretty awful score.
He told us earlier in the thread that he has a fairly curved scale. Most of the good episodes only rank around a 6. He saves the higher numbers for the truly outstanding eps.
Old January 20 2012, 01:37 AM   #639
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain

Oops, Misco said 3/5 not 3/10.

I would rate 4 episodes in season four below 3/5.

And my top 10 episodes of seasons 1-3 would be

1. Before and After
2. Scorpion
3. Deadlock
4. Jetrel
5. Prime Factors
6. Unity
7. Faces
8. The Thaw
9. Distant Origin
10. Eye of the Needle

Last edited by You_Will_Fail; January 20 2012 at 01:57 AM.
Old January 20 2012, 01:55 AM   #640
The Dominion
Fleet Captain

Season 4 gets good real fast. It's just a shame they didn't do more with 8472.
Old January 20 2012, 05:06 AM   #641
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
been a while since you've read the classic death of the Phoenix Exodus.

Jean had been neutered by Shi'are surgeons, where after she was nailed by an automated defence system while Lillandra was playing silly buggers with the X-Men on the Blue Area of the Moon. She walked into a death ray, sacrificing herself because she felt the darkness inside her rising but...
That's the "Dark Phoenix Saga", not the "Phoenix Saga".
The Phoenix Saga ends with her saving the universe by bringing the M'Kron Crystal into the sun.
Old January 20 2012, 05:37 AM   #642
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

exodus wrote: View Post
Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
been a while since you've read the classic death of the Phoenix Exodus.

Jean had been neutered by Shi'are surgeons, where after she was nailed by an automated defence system while Lillandra was playing silly buggers with the X-Men on the Blue Area of the Moon. She walked into a death ray, sacrificing herself because she felt the darkness inside her rising but...
That's the "Dark Phoenix Saga", not the "Phoenix Saga".
The Phoenix Saga ends with her saving the universe by bringing the M'Kron Crystal into the sun.
It's been 25 years since I read those comics.

I loved it when Wolverine got punched into orbit by the half-pint guardian of the M'Kraan crystal,and he was rescued by the Starjammer.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2012, 03:15 PM   #643
AdmiralScreed
Captain

Watched a couple more episodes last night.

Nemesis: This episode ripped off Predator with the commandos and the aliens that looked just like the Predators. I personally didn't care for all of the alien slang, and for the most part I didn't like the guest actors either, but Robert Beltran's excellent performance (as usual) and the great twist at the end made this at least a worthwhile watch.
4/10

Gotta go to class. I'll be back with another review later!
Old January 20 2012, 05:39 PM   #644
Misco
Commander

You_Will_Fail wrote: View Post
Edit - realized I misread, thought you meant you hadn't rated a single episode below 3/10! But you meant 3/5.
Ha, yeah sorry for the confusion. I just prefer rating things on a scale of 5. I tend to get bogged down in the 5/6/7s if I use the 10 scale. Although with the OP ranking out of 10 I can see why you would make the mistake!

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
^I think Tom and B'Elanna are one of the only romances that Trek actually does justice to. Nothing about them ever felt forced or awkward, and I mostly think that's because Roxann Dawson and Robert Duncan McNeill have great chemistry.
I would agree with that. I've never really gone so far as to 'ship them but they were generally well written as a couple with a minimum of forced drama;
Off topic, sort of, but my favourite Trek couple are Kira/Odo, however, I probably have more issues with the way their relationship was portrayed than with Tom/B'Elanna's.

The Dominion wrote: View Post
Season 4 gets good real fast. It's just a shame they didn't do more with 8472.
I feel that too. They had a really good concept there and I loved the idea of fluidic space. Also if 8472 had become a bigger part of the series then maybe there would have been less Borg stuff for people to bitch about. I suppose they were expensive to put on screen though?

As for Nemesis, I watched this for only the second time the other week and it's gone from being one of my most hated Trek episodes of all time to a ranking of 'average'. Which is a vast improvement! I still think the language thing is irritating and pointless but the overall story was alright and I actually found Chakotay relatively bearable in it. The last line about wishing it was as easy to stop hating as it is to start could definitely have been better put though. It came across far more preachy/twee than it needed to be.
Misco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2012, 06:37 PM   #645
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain

AdmiralScreed wrote: View Post
Watched a couple more episodes last night.

Nemesis: This episode ripped off Predator with the commandos and the aliens that looked just like the Predators.
They ripped off the design of the Predator alien. That's where the similarities end. The plot of "Nemesis" isn't really that similar at all.