New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old January 18 2012, 07:54 PM   #1096
kirsten187
Curmudgeon at large

View kirsten187's Twitter Profile
Re: stalkin' my peeps - Welcome New Members thread!

Now, now, stop hurling and pulling faces.

"Come to Quark's, Quark's is fun, come right now, don't walk - RUN!" Quark
kirsten187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2012, 11:56 AM   #1097
Australis
Writer

GoldsBawHair wrote: View Post
Hey Dudes
This Will End Well.

(PS I speak scotese, I know what your name means)
"Ö Times change, and so must IÖ we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and thatís okay, thatís good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2012, 07:22 PM   #1098
ShamelessMcBundy
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ShamelessMcBundy Send a message via Yahoo to ShamelessMcBundy

HWLights1992 wrote: View Post
Hey, I'm new around here. As of this posting I have been a member of this forum for about....5 minutes or so. I didn't see a dedicated forum for introductions so I'll just fill the stuff I would normally put in a thread in this post...

I'm Dan. 19, and an aspiring writer/actor. I'm a movie buff so I spend a lot of time watching movies and growing up I was always a Star Wars kid. Watched the movies, bought the merch, and helped fill George Lucas' ego, a crime I am still guilty of to this day. That being said, I was always anti-Star Trek. To me George Lucas was the master of Sci-Fi and Star Trek was nothing more than a cheap knockoff of it (at this point you can probably figure that I had only seen stuff from TNG on). Anyway, I went on with this mentality for quite sometime until finally deciding to cave in and just take a look at the older Star Trek stuff, from TOS era. So i took the time to watch an episode online and I hate to admit it but I loved it. Heck I loved it enough to pick the first season up on blu ray at the local video store. I'm about halfway through the first season so far (I've been side tracked with various things) but it grew on me enough that I also picked up the Original Motion Picture Collection and I have spent the last few days watching through the films. My god, they are brilliant. I'm not sure what I like more: seeing the shows translated so well to film, the quips from Bones to and about Spock. I just finished watching TVH and I think it may just be the funniest one in the series but I loved every minute of it. In fact Star Trek II and III are on the list of few films that actually can invoke tears from me.

Anyway before I ramble anymore here I am,

Live Long and Prosper,

Dan....

....The Star Trek n00b
Welcome to you! I hope you enjoy your time here. And The Wrath of Khan can always invoke tears in me, so you're not alone.
Old January 20 2012, 12:29 AM   #1099
Kalontas
Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you keep seeing "I've been a fan of Star Trek for X years" posts all the time, here's one for the change of pace.

Up to about a month ago I had virtually no knowledge of Star Trek. There was a few Voyager episodes that ran on national television over here and I faintly remember Neelix (Kneelix? Keelix? the one with the funny hairdo) and the episode with two Ferengis who made themselves a religion. That's almost all I remembered of Star Trek, save for some pop-cultural osmosis to places I visited or other shows. So I naturally knew about Spock, Kirk & co., but only from second hand. So what happened? In December I decided to check it out first-hand.

And I loved it! The first few episodes were getting better and better, and even since then had only few mediocre episodes and no bad ones, so far. While I'm now a Doctor Who fan, I can see why in the 60s people preferred Star Trek - '60s Who was kinda dull, while Trek was already top notch.

Getting to the end of first season slowly and looking forward to the rest of the Original Series - and then maybe more. So, hello!
Kalontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2012, 06:45 PM   #1100
Lumi
Captain

View Lumi's Twitter Profile

Kalontas wrote: View Post
If you keep seeing "I've been a fan of Star Trek for X years" posts all the time, here's one for the change of pace.

Up to about a month ago I had virtually no knowledge of Star Trek. There was a few Voyager episodes that ran on national television over here and I faintly remember Neelix (Kneelix? Keelix? the one with the funny hairdo) and the episode with two Ferengis who made themselves a religion. That's almost all I remembered of Star Trek, save for some pop-cultural osmosis to places I visited or other shows. So I naturally knew about Spock, Kirk & co., but only from second hand. So what happened? In December I decided to check it out first-hand.

And I loved it! The first few episodes were getting better and better, and even since then had only few mediocre episodes and no bad ones, so far. While I'm now a Doctor Who fan, I can see why in the 60s people preferred Star Trek - '60s Who was kinda dull, while Trek was already top notch.

Getting to the end of first season slowly and looking forward to the rest of the Original Series - and then maybe more. So, hello!
Hey, you're sort of like me... a new fan! I mean, I've always loved Next Gen, but never really gave TOS much of a chance until a short while ago. What was I thinking? I'm in love!
Lumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2012, 02:58 AM   #1101
Australis
Writer

Hey Kalontas and Lumi.

So, what do you think of the 2009 film and the original TV series? Not looking for fight or anything, we leave that up to other threads) but interested to hear your take. And if you haven't watched the movie yet, don't until you've watched all TOS episodes.

Hope you find the place useful and entertaining. That is it diverting, and consumes a lot of time, goes without saying.
"Ö Times change, and so must IÖ we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and thatís okay, thatís good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Old January 22 2012, 07:17 PM   #1102
Lumi
Captain

View Lumi's Twitter Profile

Australis wrote: View Post
Hey Kalontas and Lumi.

So, what do you think of the 2009 film and the original TV series? Not looking for fight or anything, we leave that up to other threads) but interested to hear your take. And if you haven't watched the movie yet, don't until you've watched all TOS episodes.

Hope you find the place useful and entertaining. That is it diverting, and consumes a lot of time, goes without saying.
I've seen the film! I had seen a few TOS episodes but not many, at that point, and the film didn't really impress me much. I felt like they cast the wrong man to play young Kirk, even back then when I didn't know much about TOS. I've watched it again recently and I'm sticking to that. I felt everyone else was pretty good, you just can't beat the originals. The storyline was interesting though.
Lumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2012, 07:37 PM   #1103
Kalontas
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey Kalontas and Lumi.

My knowledge about the 2009 film is as expansive as my knowledge about tOS two months ago - that is, I know it's there and vaguely know what it's about (blame Cracked.com for that).

Heh. It's not consuming a lot of my time yet. Perhaps partly because I have almost nothing to say on most subjects - as my knowledge about the series is still very limited.

So yeah. Looking forward to it. How did it go? Live long and prosper?
Kalontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2012, 12:06 PM   #1104
Australis
Writer

Interesting perspectives, thank you.

I was going to suggest reading some of the movie stuff... but don't As Monty Python says, it is a silly place.
Old January 24 2012, 08:11 PM   #1105
kirsten187
Curmudgeon at large

View kirsten187's Twitter Profile

GoldsBawHair wrote: View Post
Hey Dudes
This Will End Well.

(PS I speak scotese, I know what your name means)
Me too.

"Come to Quark's, Quark's is fun, come right now, don't walk - RUN!" Quark
kirsten187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2012, 01:55 AM   #1106
GemHaters
Captain

I'm newish...Been here just under a month, and I have yet to make any friends...That's how it usually goes...
GemHaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2012, 01:30 PM   #1107
Australis
Writer

Indeed.
Old January 26 2012, 12:38 AM   #1108
GemHaters
Captain

Indeed.
Nah, I never make any friends no matter where I go. People just generally hate me. Female? Check. Conservative? Check. Opinionated? Check. 3 strikes and I'm out.
Old January 26 2012, 10:36 AM   #1109
Australis
Writer

Chill a little and it ain't so bad.
Old January 26 2012, 02:34 PM   #1110
GemHaters
Captain

Chill a little and it ain't so bad.
Oh, I'm quite chill...

(Despite the fact that I take meds for depression, anxiety, and paranoia)