RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 495
Newest member: ragster

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old January 18 2012, 09:19 PM   #16
Mr. B
Vice Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. B Send a message via AIM to Mr. B Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mr. B Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. B
Re: What are your current computer's specs?

I last upgraded in July of 2010, but I'm still content with my setup: full description with pictures

Antec P180 Case
Seasonic S12-500 500 watt Power Supply
EVGA P55 SLI 132-LF-E655-KR LGA1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I5750
with Scythe Mugen 2 CPU cooler

EVGA GeForce GTX260 Core 216 896MB DDR3 Graphics Card 896-P3-1255-AR
Corsair XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 SDRAM

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM hard drive
Two (2) Samsung EcoGreen F2 HD154UI 1.5TB hard drives (for RAID1 media storage)
ASUS DRW-24B1ST SATA DVD Burner
Scythe Kaze Master 5.25'' Bay Fan Controller
Three (3) YATE LOON 120mm Case Fans (D12SL-12)

Two (2) Dell 2209WA 22'' LCD
E-MU 0404 USB, Audioengine A5 speakers
Old January 18 2012, 09:36 PM   #17
StolenThunder
Poster

My iMac is just starting to creak a little bit, I think.

24" screen, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM. It's a mid-2007.

Still does just fine but I notice a little tattiness around the edges. I'll upgrade in the next two or three years, I suppose. I was thinking of perhaps buying a MacBook Air, maybe a Pro, to go with it.
StolenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2012, 09:57 PM   #18
FordSVT
Vice Admiral

think wrote: View Post
two dual core AMD Opteron Processor 275
2.21 GHz 3gig ram

linux box lap
and a xp box lap

these are all archaic things I have dual monitor outs in the main thing 2 24 in flats...

the cores are 64 bitters so it is like 4 sixty for bit processors. but even still rendering movies is like pulling teeth sometimes..this is like a three or four year old machine that I have been using for that long. I have decided not to get into machine coding with it because the machine architecture as been reworked into... something different..

it is really annoying cause the processors bit structure will not run some 32 bit compiled fractal programs so rather then redesign a whole new fractal program at machine level I have decided to ,,, wait for something to change to make it easier like the conceptnet5 going on..
My God, even when the topic is straight forward you're incomprehensible.

My computer was a quad core Q6660 Intel with 3 GB of DDR2 ram and a GTS 9600 video card. Unfortunately, it died last Thursday. Power supply went, caused a chain reaction that took out the motherboard and processor. It was four years old, time to get something new...

I'm currently researching a new build and have decided on:

Intel i5 2500 (i7 is more expensive and not really worth it for me).
8GB DDR3
GTX 560ti video card
1TB hard drive
120GB SATA SSD
Old January 18 2012, 10:37 PM   #19
ares93
Commodore

FordSVT wrote: View Post
2.21 GHz 3gig ram

linux box lap
and a xp box lap

these are all archaic things I have dual monitor outs in the main thing 2 24 in flats...

the cores are 64 bitters so it is like 4 sixty for bit processors. but even still rendering movies is like pulling teeth sometimes..this is like a three or four year old machine that I have been using for that long. I have decided not to get into machine coding with it because the machine architecture as been reworked into... something different..

it is really annoying cause the processors bit structure will not run some 32 bit compiled fractal programs so rather then redesign a whole new fractal program at machine level I have decided to ,,, wait for something to change to make it easier like the conceptnet5 going on..
I'm having problems understanding it, and bloody hell, I do this for a living.

The way I figure, we have there options. Either both of us have gone temporarily dyslectic, think is in serious need of the spell-check plugin or he's drunk.

EDIT: Seems I need the spell check plugin as well. Or perhaps smaller fingers or a bigger mobile.
I find it extremely satisfying watching Jehovah's Witnesses through my window. After all, it takes an RFID lock, a titanium enhanced fireproof door and bullet-resistant glass to keep them out of the building.
ares93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2012, 11:00 PM   #20
FordSVT
Vice Admiral

Naw, the post is typical, he usually doesn't make a lick of sense to anyone. I'll drop it though, don't want to get too personal and get a warning for it.
Old January 18 2012, 11:33 PM   #21
Zulu Romeo
is doing this now

ThankQ wrote: View Post
My computer wears contacts.
Mine has a monocle. It fits over the webcam.

Anyway, to answer the OP question properly, here's my current unit:

Acer Aspire 8920G
Intel Core2 Duo T9300 (2.5GHz)
4Gb RAM
Nvidia GeForce 9500M GS, 512Mb memory
2 x 232Gb HDD
1Tb and 2Tb external hard drives
BluRay player / DVD writer
VGA Webcam
18.4" monitor, max resolution 1920x1080
Windows Vista

Had it for 3 and a half years, and never needed repairing.
Zulu Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2012, 12:01 AM   #22
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

PC III:
AMD Athlon II X2 220 Processor
2.8 GHz
2 GB RAM
64-bit
Windows 7

PC I: (offline unit, originally bought in 2001)
Intel Pentium 4
1.44 GHz
128 MB RAM
32-bit
Windows ME
Old January 19 2012, 12:06 AM   #23
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

But what about PC II?!
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2012, 12:24 AM   #24
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Closing in on two years old:

Core i7 930 with a modest overclock (never have luck with my overclocks)
MSI X-58 Pro mobo (and this might be the reason, but it was a really good bundle deal at the time)
12GB of memory.. Patriot brand, no clue of the model
Intel 80GB SSD
3x RAID edition 1TB hard disks in RAID 0, I forget the brand, and yes, I expect my data to all be corrupt any day.
3x Samsung 24" 1920x1200 monitors
Razer Lycosa keyboard ever (not that great)
Mionix Naos 5000 mouse (best mouse ever)
Steelseries 9HD mousepad
Random 20 dollar dvd writer
Steelseries 9HD mouse pad
Some 70 dollar logitech 2.1 speaker system
Wireless adapter for Xbox360 controllers
Antec 850w power supply, whatever the one is that they put 'racing stripes' on
And an unwieldy mess of external USB2 and eSATA hard disks.
Win 7 Ultimate, because for some reason the Windows disk thinks I'm entitled to the Alienware OEM version... I wonder how that happened
Old January 19 2012, 12:26 AM   #25
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
But what about PC II?!
Committed suicide last year.
Old January 19 2012, 01:02 AM   #26
Count Zero
Decidedly something

Captain Ice wrote: View Post
Tonight I purchased a new computer to replace my slowly dying 9 year old desktop and I find myself curious to see what the rest of you are using to get to the BBS.

My current (old) PC:

P4 2.4 GHz processor
1.8 GB PC 2700 DDR Ram
150 GB hard drive
256 meg ATI Radeon AGP graphics card
52x CDRW drive
28x CD-rom drive
Hey, that's still a lot better than what I have been using the last couple of years. What's wrong with it?

Captain Ice wrote: View Post
As this is my first laptop, I was also wondering:

Should I buy a travel case for it?
Is there anything I should be leery of/careful with?
As it is a desktop replacement, should I look into getting a docking station for it? If so, how much do these run?
Should I get a cooling pad for it?
I've been using my laptop (a 5 year old HP Compaq) as a desktop for years before I got a new desktop computer last November and I didn't need a cooling pad or a docking station (I'm not even sure what that is). If your computer gets too hot it either needs cleaning or is defective (even if it gets too hot right from the start - I know that some laptops have those problems) and should be replaced.
One of the fans in my laptop broke and the thing got so hot the plastic case started to smell funny, yet nothing was damaged. These things are pretty sturdy.
If you use it as a desktop and have it plugged in you should remove the battery (before plugging it in) because eventually this will cause the battery life to deteriorate (that happened with mine).
If you want to carry it around, a travel case comes in handy, though other bags in the right size are fine, too. My backpack has an extra pocket for laptops so that's an option, too. It really depends on your habits.

As for my system (it's a Mini ITX system):
Intel® Core™ i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz × 4
Intel HD 2000 graphics chip
4 GB DDR-Ram
HDD: Western Digital Caviar 500 GB
all in a fancy red Lian Li case

screen: LG flatron W2443T 24''
Old January 19 2012, 03:29 AM   #27
think
Rear Admiral

View think's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to think Send a message via AIM to think Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to think Send a message via Yahoo to think

ares93 wrote: View Post
FordSVT wrote: View Post
2.21 GHz 3gig ram

linux box lap
and a xp box lap

I'm having problems understanding it, and bloody hell, I do this for a living.

The way I figure, we have there options. Either both of us have gone temporarily dyslectic, think is in serious need of the spell-check plugin or he's drunk.

EDIT: Seems I need the spell check plugin as well. Or perhaps smaller fingers or a bigger mobile.
<<<<serious dyslectical in thought time and space but ,,, LOL love you too...

--------------the re-write-----------

two processors each of which has a double processor core and each of these cores are 64 bit processors that ....

2.21 GHz 3gig ram
process at the speed of 2.21 gigahertz per second with 3 gigabytes of on board ram...(that I keep having to push back in cause they vibrate free)

linux box lap
I have a linux os*ubuntu* on an old laptop that does some s-video graphics out(in a cable connected to a svideo in dvd burner) that i use the project M program to create(pretty pictures that move).

and a xp box lap
I have another old laptop that has windows xp on it and I use that one for email and other simple things...

As these are all archaic things I have dual monitor outs in the main thing 2 24 in flats...
I have two twenty four inch flat monitors accepting 2 separate signals from the two dual core processor machine by amd..

the cores are 64 bitters so it is like 4 sixty for bit processors. but even still rendering movies is like pulling teeth sometimes..
the cores are 64 bit machine coded instruction set devices works with four of them threaded appropriately - but to render a movie with a 64 bit coded movie rendering program takes forever and a day.

this is like a three or four year old machine that I have been using for that long. I have decided not to get into machine coding with it because the machine architecture as been reworked into... something different..
this four processor machine is three or four years old and right now I am working to get a dual 16 core mother board and processor set because this machine can not do the movie renders quicker then like real time(you know the actual time it takes to do something in film being rendered at that actual speed in time)

-------------------
this part is an aside ...
Old January 19 2012, 07:05 AM   #28
Tank.
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Asus Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ
Windows 7 Professional 32 bit
3 Gigs of RAM
Graphics: ATI Radeon X1650
Supports dual monitors. I have a 17" and 19" side by side.
Performance MX Wireless mouse and ergonomic Microsoft keyboard.

I would like some tips on video editing software, mainly for 3-5 minute videos with lots of cuts.

Also I wonder whether I could just swap the processor for a 64 bit one??? and if I can I'll just upgrade the graphics card.

Last edited by Tank.; January 19 2012 at 07:49 AM.
Tank. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2012, 08:37 AM   #29
FordSVT
Vice Admiral

^In order to upgrade that computer, you'd have to pretty much gut it. New motherboard, new chipset, new ram.... sticking a new video card in a five year old machine really isn't worth the money, unless it's a $60 card and you're only doing it because the old one died. Your processor will be a tremendous bottleneck.

Really, if you're going to put $400 into a five year old machine, spend twice that and get a rocking i5 machine that will last you another five years. Especially if you're compiling video and stuff, you'll notice the difference in speed.
Old January 19 2012, 08:43 AM   #30
Tank.
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for the tip, I'll start saving up then.
Tank. is offline   Reply With Quote