RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,705
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 857
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 17 2012, 12:31 AM   #16
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: The SINGLE GREATEST MOMENT in TOS !!!

COTEOF has two great moments. Both driven by acting and writing:

MCCOY: You deliberately stopped me, Jim. I could have saved her. Do you know what you just did?
SPOCK: He knows, Doctor. He knows.
UHURA: Captain, the Enterprise is up there. They're asking if we want to beam up.
KIRK: Let's get the hell out of here.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2012, 12:41 AM   #17
TerragonSix
Lieutenant Commander

Gotta admit, a lot of people hit on Edge Of Forever, and I have to agree. When I watched that girl get nailed by that car.. And Kirk was powerless to stop it. That sad thing was she had the right idea, at the wrong time. She had to die.
At least he fought.
TerragonSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2012, 03:31 AM   #18
Esteban
Commander

Let me add two personal favorites:

1) The scene in Journey to Babel between Spock and Amanda
2) The scene in Bread and Circuses between McCoy and Spock
3) the tag of The Trouble with Tribbles.

Oh, that's three. Oops!
Esteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2012, 07:19 AM   #19
TorontoTrekker
Vice Admiral

There are so many...

Others have already mentioned the drama of Kirk's escape from the Constellation in "The Doomsday Machine", Kirk's realization that Edith Keeler must die, the Spock/Amanda scene, and the "Risk is our business" speech. All of them are great. But for me, the one that made me a life-long Star Trek fan...

plynch wrote: View Post
When they seek to understand and communicate with the Horta instead of blasting her to kingdom come out of rage and self-defense. We rise above our animal self-preservation instinct to be truly human (and Vulcan).
This one. The moment when the Horta is transformed in Kirk's mind from a monster killing the miners and his crew into a mother desperately defending her children from the humans who are killing them.

There are other episodes that I love and which carry messages which have resonated me all my life, but the epiphany in "The Devil In The Dark", that the humans have been the villains all along and that they need to make amends, was incredibly powerful to me.
TorontoTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2012, 02:10 PM   #20
Captain Tracy
Commander

TorontoTrekker wrote: View Post
There are so many...

Others have already mentioned the drama of Kirk's escape from the Constellation in "The Doomsday Machine", Kirk's realization that Edith Keeler must die, the Spock/Amanda scene, and the "Risk is our business" speech. All of them are great. But for me, the one that made me a life-long Star Trek fan...

When they seek to understand and communicate with the Horta instead of blasting her to kingdom come out of rage and self-defense. We rise above our animal self-preservation instinct to be truly human (and Vulcan).
This one. The moment when the Horta is transformed in Kirk's mind from a monster killing the miners and his crew into a mother desperately defending her children from the humans who are killing them.

There are other episodes that I love and which carry messages which have resonated me all my life, but the epiphany in "The Devil In The Dark", that the humans have been the villains all along and that they need to make amends, was incredibly powerful to me.
Yes!, the transformation of KIRK's perception and attitude,... absolutely the KEY,.... Outstanding point!

In additional effect is that it allows the HORTA to function within the story as a whole character with its own motivations and purpose, rather being trapped into functioning within the story as a 'simple monster',... stuck playing only 'monster attack' scenes.

It is at this moment when the quality of story is allow to raise yet another level in sophistication, and explore other avenues of a more meaningful purpose - which in turn raises the level of enjoyment and meaning for us, as viewers.

Great comment!
Old January 17 2012, 07:45 PM   #21
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Edith's death - because it's the most dramatic.
Yep.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2012, 07:46 PM   #22
CaptainMatt
Fleet Captain

My vote goes to "Shore Leave" when Dr McCoy is "resurrected" by the Planet keepers and comes out of the woods or wherever with a girl on either arm and a big grin on his face!
CaptainMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2012, 01:06 AM   #23
Captain Tracy
Commander

For the humor?
Old January 18 2012, 09:20 PM   #24
CaptainMatt
Fleet Captain

Yes, sir!
CaptainMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2012, 11:00 PM   #25
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

My elementary age son clapped when Kirk materializes in transporter room in Tholian Web. That's a great moment to a boy who's never seen it before.
Old January 18 2012, 11:00 PM   #26
Captain Tracy
Commander

It is a great gag to be sure, but do suppose some of the merit of the scene comes with the sense of satisfaction - on the good doctors part - for FINALLY getting the girl,.. well, actually more than one girl LOL!

Sort of like getting his just due compensation for all of KIRK's high-jinx he has had to claim witness to,... while sitting on the sidelines?
Old January 18 2012, 11:05 PM   #27
Captain Tracy
Commander

My elementary age son clapped when Kirk materializes in transporter room in Tholian Web. That's a great moment to a boy who's never seen it before.
Yes, I too recall feeling a HUGE emotional response when I first saw the scene,.. and that is with full knowledge that, somehow he is going to live anyway - testament to a great script.

The thing I recall which struck me the most about the episode as a whole was actually feeling the love for KIRK which the actors portrayed so wonderfully,... actually feeling their loss and mourning.
Old January 19 2012, 12:05 AM   #28
foxhot
Fleet Captain

View foxhot's Twitter Profile

Though it amuses me a bit to have Scott dismiss the crew after only six seconds of standing at attention. After all, it's not like it was a matter of pride!
foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2012, 06:18 PM   #29
Jose Tyler
Lieutenant Commander

I have to go with two. The first is in "Amok Time" when Spock sees Kirk alive and the smile lights up his face. It speaks volumes to the depth of the Kirk/Spock. relationship.

The second is in "The Doomsday Machine" when Spock relieves Decker from command. These is such an intense level of vulcan bad-assery when Spock motions for the security guards to come over.

Old January 20 2012, 11:59 PM   #30
foxhot
Fleet Captain

View foxhot's Twitter Profile

I respectfully submit any Vulcan, particularly a badass one, would have no need of security guards.
But the music where DECKER relieves Spock always freaks me out in a tense way. And you have to admit, the guard Decker knocked out later put up an unusually good fight.
foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote