Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old January 13 2012, 08:23 PM   #31
Redfern
Commodore

Re: Virtual *TOS* Enterprise for STV:Elite Force - WIP

Only Donny can say for sure, but I suspect it's simply a "fish-eye" wide angle lens effect. If the trapezoid over the bunk is actually the same dimensions as those in the "study/office" area, then everything should size up just right.

I'll admit it would be really neat if these were available as .OBJ meshes; then a wide variety of rendering programs could employ them.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2012, 08:25 PM   #32
Redfern
Commodore

Looks like Donny already answered the concerns. Yep, just a wide angle lens "illusion".

Sincerely,

Bill

Old January 14 2012, 06:40 PM   #33
Ziz
Commodore

I had a feeling that's what it was but I wanted to be sure.
Old January 17 2012, 10:21 AM   #34
Donny
Commander

Lots of work done over the last two days.

First off, here's the ship's chapel, as it was depicted in Balance of Terror.

And here's the shuttlebay (pre-remastered). And of course some shots from the surrounding observation deck.

http://rigel7studios.blogspot.com/

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2012, 03:12 PM   #35
Redfern
Commodore

Of course! How could we forget the Christine Chapel?

(I'm gonna' get pelted with tribbles for that one, aren't I?)

On a more serious note, I love what you've done with the shuttle-bay's rear bulkhead! (Or should that be considered a forward bulkhead?) Most depictions I've seen go with the Franz Joseph approach, three standard pocket doors, or two large rectangular hatches taking their cue from ST V. But this is the first time I (personally) have seen trapezoidal alcoves that blend with those along the sides. What a clever variation! I mean it!

Sincerely,

Bill

Old January 17 2012, 07:12 PM   #36
Donny
Commander

Redfern wrote: View Post
On a more serious note, I love what you've done with the shuttle-bay's rear bulkhead! (Or should that be considered a forward bulkhead?)
I can't take credit for the idea. I first saw this design in the Star Trek: Ships of the Line book (which is a compilation of a lot of the art that was featured in the annual Ships of the Line calendars), Both artists Petri Blomquist and Jose Perez did renderings of the Enterprise with its shuttlebay doors open, and featured this design. Not sure if they came up with it either, but it made the most design sense to me when I saw it.

In my Viirtual Enterprise project, these alcoves on the forward bulkhead contain large doors that open into the ship's main cargo bay (a design that is my own, however the idea of there being a large cargo bay forward of the shuttlebay was inspired by TMP) that I'm currently working on.

Old January 17 2012, 07:34 PM   #37
Today
Lieutenant Commander

Oooh, I really like this!

The attention to detail is pretty impressive! Looks like you've painstakingly duplicated the original sets.

I especially like the landing bay and observation decks!!
Old January 17 2012, 09:37 PM   #38
Redfern
Commodore

Well, regardless who actually came up with it, I love it! In my nearly 40 years of being a Trek fan, never had I considered that motif, and yet it's so bloody obvious!

Sincerely,

Bill

Old January 21 2012, 08:01 AM   #39
Donny
Commander

I keep burning myself on my two projects (TOS-E and the Ent-D) because when I do get a few days off my 50 hour week bar-manager job, I sit at my computer for 10-12 hours working on these projects.

So, I keep flopping between the two. The principal areas of the TOS-E are pretty much complete. Here's what else I have planned:

Auxiliary Control
Ship's Gymnasium
Ship's Theater
Phaser Control

and a few areas that were never seen on screen:

Security Section w/ Armory
Photorp Launch Bay
Bowling Alley
Evacuation Transporter

and maybe a few others that I haven't decided on yet. Keeping them a secret for now. After all the construction if finished, I will begin scripting to make it possible to interact with the ship and its personnel.

So, I promise that I'll keep on working on the project when I get enough energy to. In the meantime, I've been working on a Virtual TMP Enterprise...which I will of course post screens of once I get some areas completed. It's shaping up slowly, but is looking great. The TMP-TSFS Enterprise has always been my favorite, so I'm excited to have something else to look forward to while I take yet another break from this project.

Thanks for all the compliments guys!

Old January 21 2012, 08:25 AM   #40
Ziz
Commodore

I don't know that much about how game engines work internally but is this being built as one "level" - one giant model - or are different rooms and areas separate levels/models? If they are separate, then it would theoretically be possible to create the entire ship because it would just be a matter of linking levels/models to each other using doorways and turbolifts as the connection points. Then for the hundreds of crew quarters on the D, you'd only have to create two or three models and just keep recycling them by linking doorways to "room A", "room B" or "room C" rather than copying them over and over into one big model.

Am I on the right track - do game engines work that way?
Old January 21 2012, 08:36 AM   #41
Donny
Commander

Ziz wrote: View Post
I don't know that much about how game engines work internally but is this being built as one "level" - one giant model - or are different rooms and areas separate levels/models? If they are separate, then it would theoretically be possible to create the entire ship because it would just be a matter of linking levels/models to each other using doorways and turbolifts as the connection points. Then for the hundreds of crew quarters on the D, you'd only have to create two or three models and just keep recycling them by linking doorways to "room A", "room B" or "room C" rather than copying them over and over into one big model.

Am I on the right track - do game engines work that way?
Game engines have limits on how large each map file can be. So what I'm doing is making each deck I'm featuring a separate map file. You'll use turbolifts to travel between the map files with short loading screens in between.

I don't plan on modelling the entire ship. That would, of course, take years to complete. And who would want to visit every single cabin of the thousands on board. What I'm doing is featuring key areas, like the ones listed above. They will be connected via corridors and turbolifts.

And as for the quarters of the personnel, I'm featuring a few of the main characters' cabins, and then a few general ones. I'll of course have doors that are inaccessible, there to imply that there's a room or cabin beyond, but in reality nothing will be modeled past the door. It just isn't feasible, or very possible, to feature every single area of the ship. Especially since this is a one-man job at this point

Old January 21 2012, 01:20 PM   #42
Ziz
Commodore

I know, you said that before. What I was thinking is that you could use the game engine level transitions within the same deck. Have doors on hallways that don't go to unique areas of the ship lead into generic crew quarters. Then you'd only have to design one room (and then copy and flip it to create right and left oriented versions) and the game engine would keep accessing them as needed rather than including them as part of a larger map/level. There would be a slight pause when the door opens as the file for that room is accessed but since you're not designing it as a playable game where action timing is critical, it's an acceptable trade off.
Old February 13 2012, 07:31 PM   #43
TowerPower
Commander

Just wanted to say I think this is fantastic. I've been wanting a TOS theme since I got Elite Force and got the Argas Effect mod. I'm watching this one with a great deal of interest. Grreat work!
TowerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2012, 06:35 PM   #44
LibraryComputer
Ensign

Fantastic work!
LibraryComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2012, 11:34 PM   #45
Donny
Commander

Here is the Main Cargo Bay of the TOS Enteprise, which rests just forward of the main shuttlebay like that of the TMP Enterprise. I, of course, had to use some creativity in designing the bay, since it has never been shown on screen. I wanted it to have a TOS feel to it rather than recreate the design from TMP, so I took a more angular approach with the architcture, and abandoned the idea of using modular cargo containers in favor of a more traditional cargo bay, with dissimilar containers organized into small grated holds.

The observation deck (on the far wall in the first screenshot) is part of the observation deck that surrounds the shuttlebay, so one could look into the cargo bay and shuttlebay easily from the deck.

Various containers, designed after cargo containers seen throughout TOS episodes, mainly ones from "Dagger of the Mind":

And the cargo transporter, which is accessed by the large blue doors in the far wall from the second screenshots. This area is influenced by the Franz Joseph's Cargo Transporter schematics features in the Starfleet Technical Manual. Note the anti-grav units on the wall to the left:

Stay tuned for screenshots of Auxiliary Control, Phaser Control Room, Computer Core, Photorp Launch Center, and more!