Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 15 2012, 10:57 PM   #91
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: "King's Speech" director to take on "Les Miserables"

Vanyel wrote: View Post
Kestrel wrote: View Post
CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Intermissions are a thing of the past.
Yeah, tis true. The most recent movie I saw with an intermission was the Director's Cut of Kingdom of Heaven - and of course that wasn't released to theaters.
True, but I think an Intermission would be nice just to get up off my butt and use the bathroom. Titanic was 194 minute (3 hours 19 minutes) and I was really ready to go to the bathroom.

Dances with Wolves was the last movie I saw at the theater with an intermission, but I still think it would work. Just so long as there are no seat stealers.
The last theatrical release I can think of that had an intermission was Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet, which was (A) four hours and (B) a specialty property.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2012, 11:10 PM   #92
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Gods and Generals in 2003 had an intermission.

I still don't know why I actually sat through that horrific thing.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2012, 05:42 AM   #93
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
I just rewatched the Lea Salonga On My Own clip, and while I don't know if Taylor could hit the notes that the song reaches when sung live on stage, the song will likely be staged/arranged slightly differently because of the differences between film and live on-stage theater, so even if it turns out that Taylor can't hit precisely the same notes one would in a live theatrical production of Les Mis, I think she'll still be able to perform the song well and without any difficulties.
Too big a change and it'll ruin the song. I can't imagine it sung any other way.
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2012, 06:35 AM   #94
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

The fact of the matter is that On My Own isn't going to be arranged/staged exactly like it is in the on-stage production because film and live on-stage theater are different mediums. Because they're different mediums, trying to judge whether or not Taylor Swift is going to be able to perform On My Own by looking at the stage production as a barometer is really like trying to compare apples to oranges.

I'd also like to add that expecting every single person to sing a given song exactly the same way is unrealistic, and would be akin to expecting every single person to play a given sport exactly the same way.

Last edited by DigificWriter; January 16 2012 at 07:27 AM.
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2012, 07:56 AM   #95
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

No stage two production of the same play are staged exactly alike. You can see that by searching for On My Own in Youtube. Also look up, Rose's Turn, from Gypsy. Look up All I Ask of You from The Phantom of the Opera. You'll find different people singing them. Some will have a key change, but otherwise when it's time to belt out the song or sing lovingly, they are the same.They are the same because the song is not just a song. It's inner dialogue. It's the venting of anger or the expression of love. It's not just hitting notes, staying on pitch or in key or time. It's more. It's emotion, it's theater; where we, the audience, need to get pulled into these characters lives. If we're not pulled in, or jolted out because of a singer(s) ability, we all lose.

Check out the songs I listed and you'll see the ones that stray too far from the original suck.

If Swift agrees to do the role, I'll be rooting for her and the whole cast. I want to be wrong about Swift, but so far I'm not seeing anything to make think I'm wrong. I really want to be wrong, you can't tell how much, but I really want to be wrong.

Last edited by Vanyel; January 16 2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old January 16 2012, 09:17 PM   #96
nvek86
Commander

The cinema I usually go to, sometimes puts intermissions into films. I remember they stopped "The Dark Knight" (I think after Gordon was shot) for a 15 min. break and I think they did it for the "Lord of the Rings" films as well.
Old January 17 2012, 05:39 AM   #97
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

nvek86 wrote: View Post
The cinema I usually go to, sometimes puts intermissions into films. I remember they stopped "The Dark Knight" (I think after Gordon was shot) for a 15 min. break and I think they did it for the "Lord of the Rings" films as well.
Really? I would think, regardless if the theater owner thinks the movie needs one or not, they wouldn't be able to do that legally.
Old January 17 2012, 09:52 PM   #98
nvek86
Commander

I've never thought about it from a legal point of view, so no idea if they are allowed to do it or if it's just a case of no studio bothering to complain.
I should also add that they only did the breaks for the first two or three weeks. Later in their runs, they showed the films in one piece.
Old January 18 2012, 07:12 AM   #99
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

Here's Solo Yo, On My Own in Spanish. Just as pretty and still the same On My Own even in a different language.

Old January 19 2012, 10:55 PM   #100
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

So, looking over the Wiki article, apparently Claude-Michael Schoenberg is writing new music and a new song for the movie adaptation, and it's definitely going to be about 2 1/2 hours long.
Old January 19 2012, 11:04 PM   #101
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

Kestrel wrote: View Post
So, looking over the Wiki article, apparently Claude-Michael Schoenberg is writing new music and a new song for the movie adaptation, and it's definitely going to be about 2 1/2 hours long.
Damn, lots of cuts. I figured there'd be a new song or two so they could be considered for best original song at Oscar time (or whatever that category is.)
Old January 22 2012, 07:26 AM   #102
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

I just listened to the live 2010 cast recording, and, although some people might disagree with me, I came to the realization/conclusion that the filmmakers could very easily compose On My Own in the same lower key as Come to Me/Fantine's Death without fundamentally changing it, and the former song is well within Taylor Swift's established range.
Old January 22 2012, 08:04 AM   #103
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

The key of On My Own also shows helps in conveying Éponine's hope and love for Marius and her resignation to the fact he loves Cossette and not her. In The Epilogue she and Fantine are calling to Valjean to Hevean, the lower key helps them convey that and, if I'm not mistaken, it also helps lead into the Do You Hear the People Sing?, reprise.

Again, if Swift takes the part I'll be rooting for her. I don't want the musical to fail.
Old January 22 2012, 09:04 AM   #104
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Personally, I think staging On My Own in the lower key of Fantine's Death would better fit Eponine's state of mind and the lyrics of the song, but some people might call that sacrilege.

As an aside, I tried to picture Hugh Jackman, et al singing the first 13 songs of the show in place of the 2010 cast, and, with the exception of Monsieur Thenardier, was able to do so very easily. The reason I couldn't imagine Sacha Baron Cohen singing in place of the actor playing Thenardier in the live 2010 cast recording is because I'm not that familiar with the way he (SBC) performs, since the stuff he usually does doesn't really appeal to me and I haven't seen Sweeney Todd.
Old January 22 2012, 10:05 PM   #105
nvek86
Commander

Would they really have to cut that much if it's 2,5 hours long? The 10th anniversary concert was pretty much the same length.
And maybe they won't cut whole songs, but only shorten them by a few verses (like in Burton's "Sweeney Todd").