RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Members: 24,818
Currently online: 402
Newest member: Thomas Eugene

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old January 16 2012, 12:59 AM   #541
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: Does It Get Better???

Misco wrote: View Post

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
The point is, Chakotay agreed to let Captain Janeway run the show. The Maquis respect Chakotay as a leader, and they respect the decision that he made. Chakotay used to be in Starfleet himself, and he understands and believes in Starfleet's principles. More often than not, Chakotay and Janeway were on the same side of an argument.
I think it's fine that they did this and it fits in to the background of Chakotay well. But considering the character was so badly underused it would have been better if the writers would have added more scenes of Chakotay interacting with random Maquis members who were disgruntled by some of Janeway's decisions. He was supposed to be really good with people, right? It's enough for me to accept that he talked down any simmering tensions and proto-rebellions. It just would have been more believable if they had shown us some of this happening.
Sure, I can't disagree with you here. I think the execution of this particular plot point was a bit lacking -- they definitely could have done more with the Maquis crewmembers -- but even if they had done more, I think the ultimate results would have been the same.
Old January 16 2012, 03:36 AM   #542
Anwar
Vice Admiral

No one is really disappointed that the Feds and Maquis came to an understanding, they just wanted it to last longer than 2 episodes.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2012, 04:01 AM   #543
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Anwar wrote: View Post
No one is really disappointed that the Feds and Maquis came to an understanding, they just wanted it to last longer than 2 episodes.
How come nobody counts Suder & Michael Jonas as part of the crew not integrating well? If you count them, crew conflict doesn't end at "Learning Curve". Isn't the issue really put to bed with "Worse Case Scenario"?
Old January 16 2012, 04:50 AM   #544
Harvey
Admiral

Suder was great, but he was only in three episodes. Jonas never made much sense. I mean, he doesn't like the way the Captain is going about doing things, so his solution is to betray everyone and side with the one Cardassian spy in the quadrant?

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2012, 05:02 AM   #545
AdmiralScreed
Captain

Another night of new Voyager episodes.

Scorpion Part 1: This episode's most glaring flaw is that it diminished the threat of the Borg. Seeing Borg ships torn apart makes for good action, but I can't help but feel disappointed that the species who once assimilated Picard and almost destroyed the Federation are now having their ships blown apart like TIE Fighters. Nevertheless, this is still a well written and enjoyable episode. I like the scenes between Chakotay and Janeway, particularly their conflicting views at the very end. I was glad that Chakotay was finally standing up to her and telling it as it is. After all, she did choose him as first officer because she wanted someone who could challenge her in difficult situations such as this.
All in all, a good episode.
6/10

Scorpion Part 2: This episode is quite a bit better than part 1. We see Voyager and the Borg trying to work together, which is something I would never have seen coming when I first saw TBOBW. We also see more conflict between Chakotay and Janeway. I personally think that Chakotay made the right decision since the Borg were obviously untrustworthy.
I am sure that Seven of Nine will make for a very nice addition to the cast. I enjoyed all of her scenes in this episode.
8/10
Old January 16 2012, 05:10 AM   #546
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
Suder was great, but he was only in three episodes. Jonas never made much sense. I mean, he doesn't like the way the Captain is going about doing things, so his solution is to betray everyone and side with the one Cardassian spy in the quadrant?
Sex.

Seska used sex to manipulate and control men.

That she was Cardassian probably turned him on more.

That she was an evil Cardassian trying to destroy him probably turned Michael on relentlessly.

As with Neelix, they both left because no one on the ship was putting out.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz

Last edited by Guy Gardener; January 16 2012 at 05:29 AM.
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2012, 05:15 AM   #547
Anwar
Vice Admiral

AdmiralScreed wrote: View Post
Scorpion Part 1: This episode's most glaring flaw is that it diminished the threat of the Borg. Seeing Borg ships torn apart makes for good action, but I can't help but feel disappointed that the species who once assimilated Picard and almost destroyed the Federation are now having their ships blown apart like TIE Fighters.
Why do folks keep thinking the Borg are the supreme species of the Galaxy? They were never meant to be anything more than ONE race that was stronger than the FEDS. They were never meant to be the biggest threat out there, just one.

The idea of there being at least ONE species out there that could kick Borg ass is EXTREMELY likely.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2012, 05:22 AM   #548
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain

They still had a airponics/hydroponics whatever bay after she left. Its mentioned a couple of times later on. But I think adding an arboretum-esque environs for the crew to enjoy would have been a really nice touch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofz1Zbpkxys
You_Will_Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2012, 05:28 AM   #549
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I watched first Star Trek The New Voyages recently, a high budget fanfilm series, and in the pilot, there's this woman with godlike powers who is saying things to Jim Kirk like "Cardassians" and "Borg" and the "Dominion".

How do you think Kirk would have fared against the Changeling?

Has there been such a massive leap forward since 2365, that Janeway could manhandle the Enterprise of that locus, just like those Borg were manhanding Enterprise back then? ...Possibly, maybe?

Look how O'Brien and Defiant danced rings around Kirks Enterprise.

There's no question that the Federation is closing the gap, it's merely a question of if the federation can surpass Borg technological Superiority before the Federation is assimilated because they are a less sophisticated society ill equipped to defend themselves.

Rates of change.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz

Last edited by Guy Gardener; January 16 2012 at 05:42 AM.
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2012, 05:28 AM   #550
tighr
Commodore

Anwar wrote: View Post
The idea of there being at least ONE species out there that could kick Borg ass is EXTREMELY likely.
It's the transitive property of ass-kicking. Any species that kick the Borg's ass the way the Borg can kick the Federation's ass should be able to kick the Federation's ass twice as hard.

This doesn't happen.
Old January 16 2012, 05:29 AM   #551
AdmiralScreed
Captain

@Anwar: I don't think that the Borg are the supreme species of the galaxy, and I agree with you that it is extremely likely that there are stronger species than the Borg at least somewhere in the galaxy. With that said, was it really necessary to make the Borg look this defenseless? To be honest, I can't really answer that question because I have mixed feelings. On one hand, turning the Borg into victims of an even more powerful species leads to the inevitable team up between Voyager and the Borg, which as I said in my short analysis makes for an interesting story because both groups are entirely different from one another. It takes the threat of an even more powerful foe in order to get them to cooperate, and I think that makes for a good story, hence why I gave Part 2 an 8/10.
So, going back to what I was originally saying, I'm not entirely satisfied nor am I entirely dissatisfied with what this 2-parter did to the Borg. Overall it made for a strong story, but I can't help but feel that my perception of the once mighty and powerful Borg has been altered for the worse.
Old January 16 2012, 05:33 AM   #552
tighr
Commodore

I can't help but feel that my perception of the once mighty and powerful Borg has been altered for the worse.
Patience, young grasshopper. You have 4 seasons of Voyager left to watch.
Old January 16 2012, 05:40 AM   #553
AdmiralScreed
Captain

tighr wrote: View Post
I can't help but feel that my perception of the once mighty and powerful Borg has been altered for the worse.
I hope you don't mean that my perception of the Borg will worsen even more.
Old January 16 2012, 05:41 AM   #554
tighr
Commodore

tighr wrote: View Post
I hope you don't mean that my perception of the Borg will worsen even more.
I imply nothing.
Old January 16 2012, 05:45 AM   #555
Harvey
Admiral

Well, this thread ought to be interesting to read in a bit...

I actually quite like "Scorpion." I think the series made excellent use of the Borg up to this point, but after a certain point this season should have moved on to another antagonist.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote