Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 14 2012, 05:54 PM   #16
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Re: Green Arrow (CW)

Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post
SG-17 wrote: View Post
Yeah, this Green Arrow has to be the JLU version, otherwise it will probably flop.
My guess is you guys never read the comics, otherwise you'd know the JLU version is basically the comics version. Post-revamp, that is.

Yes, originally Ollie Queen was a poor Batman knock-off, but the revamp by Denny O'Neil & Neal Adams, turning him into a left-wing bleeding heart playing the conscience of the larger than life heroes of the DCU made him one of the most interesting characters in superhero fiction.
And the 52 revamp seems to have turned him straight back into a poor man's Batman.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2012, 06:10 PM   #17
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

it could actually be pretty good tv if its handled right...

the original comic series where Ollie teamed up with Hal for the Brave and the Bold arc, with his ward Speedy becoming a cocain addict shortly after... those are the sorts of storylines i would love to see the show tackle properly...

M
Old January 14 2012, 06:34 PM   #18
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Methos wrote: View Post
it could actually be pretty good tv if its handled right...

the original comic series where Ollie teamed up with Hal for the Brave and the Bold arc, with his ward Speedy becoming a cocain addict shortly after... those are the sorts of storylines i would love to see the show tackle properly...

M

I think Speedy was hooked on heroin, not cocaine.
Old January 14 2012, 06:45 PM   #19
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I'm surprised that they didn't just make this a Smallville spin-off and get Hartley back. Having said that, I can see the attraction for a totally new slate.

Wonder if this means that the Supermax GA movie is dead?
Making it a Smallville spin-off would likely carry with it a lot of weight they'd have to deal with. The first being GA's relationship with Chloe, Queen's close friendship with Clark/Superman and, of course, dealing with Superman if even only in the background.
Old January 14 2012, 07:43 PM   #20
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I'm surprised that they didn't just make this a Smallville spin-off and get Hartley back. Having said that, I can see the attraction for a totally new slate.

Wonder if this means that the Supermax GA movie is dead?
Making it a Smallville spin-off would likely carry with it a lot of weight they'd have to deal with. The first being GA's relationship with Chloe, Queen's close friendship with Clark/Superman and, of course, dealing with Superman if even only in the background.
Indeed. Weren't Oliver and Chloe actually married by the end of the series? And you'd be constantly be running into the problem of "well, why doesn't he just get on the phone and call Clark . . . or Aquaman or Black Canary or Cyborg or Zatanna or Martian Manhunter . . . ?"

Better to start fresh, unencumbered by ten years of SMALLVILLE continuity.
Old January 14 2012, 09:07 PM   #21
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ True and true. As I said, I can see the attraction of a clean slate - attracitve to both the writers and fans.
Old January 14 2012, 09:22 PM   #22
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

This will probably get a pilot order, but I was really hoping to see Deadman move forward out of development hell.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2012, 09:48 PM   #23
JD
Admiral

I've enjoyed stories I've seen with GA, so I'll be keeping an eye on this. My only real familiarity with the character comes from Smallville, and a couple of anmiated appearances, but I do plan on checking some of his comics when I go back to reading DC stuff.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2012, 01:05 AM   #24
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
And the 52 revamp seems to have turned him straight back into a poor man's Batman.
Really?! I actually had high hopes for that, with Dan Jurgens doing it. If that's the case, my disappointment in the New 52 is complete. Not that I had hopes of it being fantastic, but they pretty much screwed up completely.

Oh, well. At least The Flash turned out readable. For now.

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2012, 10:41 AM   #25
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Really?!
Yep, he runs a massive multinational that rivals Wayne Enterprises and he runs around using lots of high-tech gadgets while his support team keep an eye on him from the arrow-cave (it's not actually called that but it might as well be).
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2012, 03:42 PM   #26
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Andrew Kreisberg was responsible for the second-worst run on Green Arrow after Judd Winnick, so I am not exactly excited.
Old January 15 2012, 11:01 PM   #27
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

OMG....IS THERE SOME FRAKING REASON THAT THEY CANNOT SIMPLY MAKE A NIGHTWING SERIES!

Nightwing would be the ideal character for the CW. He's rich, insanely good-looking, with a troubled background, a complicated family situation, bizarre love life and cool friends. He'd be perfect for that network. Hell a show based on the New Teen Titans...former sidekicks that have grown up...would work well. Yet they insist on warping other less suitable caracters for that network. Why?

There has to be some reason why that character gets no love outside of the comics and an occasional appearance in the animated shows. He never gets used.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2012, 05:02 AM   #28
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Two words: Bat Embargo.
Old January 19 2012, 12:43 AM   #29
Jetfire

http://www.ksitetv.com/10886/the-cw-...-make-the-cut/

The CW Officially Orders More Pilots: Arrow, Beauty & The Beast, The Carrie Diaries Make The Cut

Good for Green Arrow.
Old January 19 2012, 12:54 AM   #30
JD
Admiral

Cool. It'll be interesting to see who they cast as Olly, and what kind of a supporting cast they bring in. Would Black Canary automatically be included with rights for GA, or would she be her own separate thing?
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote