Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 13 2012, 07:22 AM   #1
Jetfire

Green Arrow (CW)

http://www.ksitetv.com/10630/green-a...ing-to-the-cw/

Green Arrow Possibly Coming To The CW In Arrow

We spoke with The CW's Mark Pedowitz tonight and he didn't let slip some big news that came today but Entertainment Weekly has managed to get a hold of - The CW is "edging close to a pilot order" for a Green Arrow television series, according to a report at EW.com. http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/01/12/green-arrow/

The project will come from the same creative team behind Syfy's Booster Gold project - Greg Berlanti and Andrew Kreisberg. Marc Guggenheim (Green Lantern) is also involved this time around.

Sadly, it will not star Justin Hartley, who played GA in the last few seasons of Smallville.... or at least, he is "not currently attached."
YES! I think this would be AWESOME!!!

[edit] I suggest Chad Duell from General Hospital if they go with a young Oliver Queen.

Last edited by Jetfire; January 13 2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old January 13 2012, 03:01 PM   #2
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Re: Green Arrow (CW)

This would be a good cheap idea for CW. Not a lot of FX needed for a guy with a bow and arrow. Now will they have Black Canary as the love interest is the question? And even bigger is who will be the big bad on the series? A hero is defined by the strength of the villians he fights and Green Arrows rogues gallery is not very large or well known. But if DC handles it right I will watch.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2012, 06:00 PM   #3
davejames
Vice Admiral

The only Green Arrow I've ever found remotely interesting was the one in JLU. He had some actual character and personality.

Unfortunately the CW if probably just going to get another pretty and bland Justin Hartley type. And I hate to say, but in live action the bow and arrow thing frankly seems kinda... lame.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2012, 06:03 PM   #4
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I'm surprised that they didn't just make this a Smallville spin-off and get Hartley back. Having said that, I can see the attraction for a totally new slate.

Wonder if this means that the Supermax GA movie is dead?
Old January 13 2012, 06:35 PM   #5
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

It's on the CW which tells me they would treat Oliver Queen as an early at best mid-20somthing mogul who has inherited his family's company. Take the Lex approach with him but he's the hero. I can almost here the pitch now in some boardroom.

As noted Green Arrow has virtually no cool bad guys in his rouges gallery. The hero is often depicted as being very "Occupy" himself so I can see that included in the pitch. However, people don't care or sympathize with those nuts so any portrayal in that line would fail imo.

I get why they picked him, exposure to the character via Smallville, I just think he's a poor mans Batman with less interesting aspects in play.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2012, 08:29 PM   #6
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
The only Green Arrow I've ever found remotely interesting was the one in JLU. He had some actual character and personality.
"I think you're what I marched against back in college."

Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2012, 09:52 PM   #7
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I just think he's a poor mans Batman with less interesting aspects in play.
That's exactly what he is!
Old January 13 2012, 10:01 PM   #8
SG-17
Commodore

Yeah, this Green Arrow has to be the JLU version, otherwise it will probably flop.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2012, 10:09 PM   #9
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

Looking forward to reading the news report when someone is injured on the set due to a bow and arrow accident.
Old January 13 2012, 10:39 PM   #10
UncleRogi
Commander

Icemizer wrote: View Post
This would be a good cheap idea for CW. Not a lot of FX needed for a guy with a bow and arrow. Now will they have Black Canary as the love interest is the question? And even bigger is who will be the big bad on the series? A hero is defined by the strength of the villians he fights and Green Arrows rogues gallery is not very large or well known. But if DC handles it right I will watch.
They could use some from Barry's (Wally's) Rogue Gallery, setting up a cool Flash tie-in.

And GA was mostly associated in the comics with Hal. Hmmmm

You're not the Devil, and I'm no angel; we are simply two minds in contention. Do what you must, but not with him [Uncle Rogi]--Atoning Unifex to newborn Fury (Julian May)
UncleRogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2012, 10:51 PM   #11
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Kirby wrote: View Post
Looking forward to reading the news report when someone is injured on the set due to a bow and arrow accident.
It's always fun until someone loses an eye.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2012, 01:12 AM   #12
Jetfire

Hope there won't be any dumb embargoes...but probably will.
Old January 14 2012, 01:17 AM   #13
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

SG-17 wrote: View Post
Yeah, this Green Arrow has to be the JLU version, otherwise it will probably flop.
My guess is you guys never read the comics, otherwise you'd know the JLU version is basically the comics version. Post-revamp, that is.

Yes, originally Ollie Queen was a poor Batman knock-off, but the revamp by Denny O'Neil & Neal Adams, turning him into a left-wing bleeding heart playing the conscience of the larger than life heroes of the DCU made him one of the most interesting characters in superhero fiction.

But, alas, I'm afraid The CW will water down the whole left-wing aspect. They did that with the SV version. But even so, Ollie still managed to be the most interesting character of seasons 8-10.

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2012, 10:00 AM   #14
Jetfire

I wouldn't say he was the most interesting...that honor belongs to Tess Mercer. But they should have gone with a Green Arrow series after S6 or S8.
Old January 14 2012, 02:14 PM   #15
Servo
Rear Admiral

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
Kirby wrote: View Post
It's always fun until someone loses an eye.
"It's all fun and games, until someone loses an eye. Then it's fun and games you can't see anymore." — James Hetfield.