New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old December 14 2011, 12:44 PM   #196
stonester1
Rear Admiral

Re: Talk of Bryan Singer's BSG project resurfaces

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
stonester1 wrote: View Post
WeAreTheBorg wrote: View Post
We moved on from 9/11 because 0.00005% of the population was killed and a few buildings destroyed. We would not be able to move on
Yes...and having been in that situation, you can state this as an absolute fact, can you?
At least he can state it with high certainty.
No. He can't. He is taking a completely hypothetical scenario and stating his opinion about it, nothing more.

He can be completely certain about his opinion, but he cannot even begin to elevate it to the level of fact, or even anything like likelyhood. It is a complete opinion and guess.
Old December 14 2011, 04:08 PM   #197
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

As a matter of mere survival, the human race got past a population bottleneck of as few as 10,000 people. The Colonials always had at least 3 times that. All they needed was a habitable place to settle.
My blog
Old January 12 2012, 05:18 AM   #198
xortex
Commodore

I think he would do a better job certainly than Moore but the premise needs more work and if RDM couldn't work it out with the series creator (Anderson), there's no reason to think Singer will either since he is not a creative in the strictest sense. Well at least not as much as Moore, which is not saying much, but I would enjoy it more as it would undoubtably be brighter, uplifting and more thoughtful.
Old January 12 2012, 05:38 PM   #199
The Wormhole
Admiral

"Brighter and uplifting?" It's a story about humanity being slaughtered by killer robots. How the hell do you make something like that bright and uplifting?

Last edited by The Wormhole; January 13 2012 at 01:39 AM.
Old January 12 2012, 05:53 PM   #200
stj
Rear Admiral

Like the original series, it could be more like Adama leading the best of humanity from the sinks of perdition to the promised land of Earth. Think Brigham Young leading the way to Utah, except with Cylons for dastardly Injuns.
Old January 12 2012, 11:50 PM   #201
xortex
Commodore

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
"Brighter and uplifting?" It's a story about humanity being laughtered by killer robots. How the hell do you make something like that bright and uplifting?
You're right. How about inspiring and hopeful?
The backstory of Dune is all about scientient robots as well but that was dark and gritty. I would like to see it be more like Verhoven's 'Starship Troopers.'
Old January 13 2012, 12:17 PM   #202
stonester1
Rear Admiral

Exactly, bravery and sticking to our better angels in the face of adversity.

Though even in the original series you had the venal, petty, scandalous and evil amongst humanity as well. Because the exodus of the humans was about people piling into ships and fleeing the best they can.

So you will end up with a hodgepodge. That has been reflected in different ways in both versions thus far, and I suspect we will get that in Singer's as well.
Old January 13 2012, 03:39 PM   #203
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

stj wrote: View Post
Like the original series, it could be more like Adama leading the best of humanity from the sinks of perdition to the promised land of Earth. Think Brigham Young leading the way to Utah, except with Cylons for dastardly Injuns.
so basically go back to cheesefest.

also is Adama suppost to leave the non best of humanity to die or something, i though he was suppost to be the GOOD guy here.
Old January 13 2012, 05:05 PM   #204
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

"Brighter and uplifting?" It's a story about humanity being slaughtered by killer robots. How the hell do you make something like that bright and uplifting?
Disco?
Old January 13 2012, 05:32 PM   #205
xortex
Commodore

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
Disco?
It was the eighties after all. Wasn't there one episode where Star Buck (Dirk Bennedict) goes into an alien disco?
Or was that Buck Rogers? Mr. Roboto?
Old January 13 2012, 05:36 PM   #206
stj
Rear Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post

also is Adama suppost to leave the non best of humanity to die or something, i though he was suppost to be the GOOD guy here.
Unfortunately "cheesefest" doesn't actually say much. Acknowledging within the fictional universe that the exodus regards itself as the elect is not intrinsically cheesy. Of course, most people are not atheists, so there really should be some question in their minds as to whether Adama leaving the wicked behind really is a sign of God's approval of him as a "good guy."

For the record, "dastardly Injuns" is not a favorable comment on the original series. But this is a good point to remark that the Cylons are not really necessary to the premise. The further any remakes or reboots get from the vicious 9/11 hysteria infecting Moore's BSG, the better.
Old January 13 2012, 07:50 PM   #207
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

For the record, "dastardly Injuns" is not a favorable comment on the original series. But this is a good point to remark that the Cylons are not really necessary to the premise...
With regard to execution of TOS, this would be a correct statement. With regard to original intent, it would not. The Cylons were known to originally be a warlike reptilian race who claimed fealty to Count Iblis, the "fallen angel" - hence, the voice of Iblis being imprinted in the Imperious Leader for over 1000 yahrens. They made a point of Baltar noticing that during "War of the Gods". The goal of the series was to portray a massive galactic and ethereal chess game being played between Iblis and the Beings of Light, using the Cylons and Colonials in the struggle as pawns - possibly indirectly assisting them in "ascension" to a higher level of being. For Cylons by Iblis through the use of highly advanced technology. For the humans by the Light Beings through spiritualism and self-awareness, as exemplified in-dialog to Apollo by one of the Seraphs, "As you now are, we once were; as we now are you may yet become". Unlike RDM's version, Larson & co. were never ashamed to attribute much of the goings-on in-series to "higher powers", beyond the self-serving ramblings of NuBaltar or the artificial Cylon piety in RDM's show. Don't get me wrong, I love NuBSG for what it was, but I will always prefer TOS' original concept. RDM's equivocation about "blaming it all on God" backfired on him in the finale, when that was the only thing he could fall back on when it was all said & done, instead of weaving it into the script much earlier - and more substantially - to make it more believable. I lost count of all the people on this board alone, screaming about how much of a cop-out it was. Anyways, back to TOS...

In TOS, the Cylons were ALWAYS contingent to the greater plot-line. The show just started running out of money and couldn't support Cylon-heavy shows and they were relegated to background noise and kitschy mindless bad-guy action. Had TOS gotten the budget it deserved and a team of writers who could actually write, it would have turned into one hell of an epic show (arguably more so than RDM's version on many levels) and likely lasted several seasons.

Like with Roddenberry, I don't put Larson on a pedestal when it comes to his creation. Like Roddenberry, he had a fantastic idea and was the only one who could have put it into motion - at the right place at the right time. However, there were more talented writers and producers that could have taken the baton and done far more with it once the track had been laid. And anyone who still thinks that TOS was a bad rip-off of Star Wars hasn't been paying attention.

Last edited by 137th Gebirg; January 13 2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old January 14 2012, 12:09 AM   #208
xortex
Commodore

Larson also wrote that main theme, didn't he? which was the best part to me.
Old January 14 2012, 03:37 PM   #209
DWF
Vice Admiral

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Like with Roddenberry, I don't put Larson on a pedestal when it comes to his creation. Like Roddenberry, he had a fantastic idea and was the only one who could have put it into motion - at the right place at the right time. However, there were more talented writers and producers that could have taken the baton and done far more with it once the track had been laid. And anyone who still thinks that TOS was a bad rip-off of Star Wars hasn't been paying attention.
Well Donald Bellisario pretty much took over the second half of the season and the show was still cancelled. The original Galactica was just not meant to have been and hour long weekly series once the momentum of the first half of the season was lost thye just couldn't get it back.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
Old January 25 2012, 05:31 AM   #210
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

stonester1 wrote: View Post
Exactly, bravery and sticking to our better angels in the face of adversity.

Though even in the original series you had the venal, petty, scandalous and evil amongst humanity as well. Because the exodus of the humans was about people piling into ships and fleeing the best they can.

So you will end up with a hodgepodge. That has been reflected in different ways in both versions thus far, and I suspect we will get that in Singer's as well.
The difference being that In TOS it was clear that the venal, etc people were bad guys. Moore's version had them being "typical humans".

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Only if you consider having a more positive, hopeful view of humanity a "cheesefest". I'm sick of cynical, humanity-hating sci-fi. Give me Loorne Green as the wise patriarch with a vision over Olmos as the self-serving liar who got bailed out by fate anyday.