New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 12 2012, 05:36 PM   #316
Mike Farley
Commodore

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY is by far the best title being put out by Marvel these days. Who would have thought a title featuring Kid Loki would be so much fun? And it is, literally, the only good thing to come of FEAR ITSELF.
Mike Farley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2012, 06:55 PM   #317
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
She's leading the team in "X-Men" which is under Cyclops' banner and she's still a vampire.

Incredible Hulk #4: This has been one crazy ass book. If it were any writer other than Jason Aaron, I doubt I would find it as interesting and entertaining as I do. The only one small negative I have on it is that I'm not sure I like this new "crazy" Bruce. Banner appears to have finally snapped. Unable to deal with the obvious separation anxiety. I love this Amanda Von Doom character though. She's a great addition to the mythos...and this Island of Dr. Moreau take is fascinating. Next week we're supposed to learn who separated them.

Scarlet Spider #1: I have been looking forward to this book since it was announced and at least in my opinion delivers. Does a nice job of quickly summarizing Kaine's past, his new powers, introducing potential new cast members. The art is fantastic as well. The title logo I believe is Ben Reily's old book's design which is a nice homage indeed. Christopher Yost is the writer of the book and didn't like his run on "X-Men" but this is great so far.
I only read a few issues of the X-Men/Vampire arc so I missed that Jubilee got turned. Weird. Explains why I didn't get that in house ad I saw.

Admiral we read the same books last night.
Hulk #4 - This issue was the first to really show or demonstrate the Bruce has snapped. He appeared on edge in the prior issues but there was one panel where they really gave him a "mad scientist" look as he glared back at Hulk. I'll be curious to see if any of his hybrid creations survive into other stories or if that Gamma Bomb is going to be used as 'reset button', wiping out all his mutations? I'm also curious to see how much development they give Commander VonDoom. Another aspect I'm hoping for is that if the ID of Banner and Hulk is separate then perhaps the ID of Gray Hulk/Fixit still resides within Banner. Afterall that was the first Hulk, maybe that ID is buried deeper AND/OR the being that separated them didn't know to look for it. Maybe if that Gamma Bomb goes off it interacts with all the isotopes in Banner's body and gives us a Gray/Green Hulk battle royale? This time NOT just in Banner's psyche like when Doc Samson merged them all back in Hulk #377 but an actual physical slugfest. That would be WIN!!

Scarlet Spider #1 - I've not kept up with Spiderman regularly for some time. I had heard during Spider Island that Ben Reilly, Kaine etc had resurfaced but the art by Ramos is so off puttting to me I couldn't buy the books. I like Jackal as a foe, underused imo, but the art, sigh. I was hoping this was Marvel righting the cope out death of Ben in the 90's but the summary tells me that this Ben Reilly coming out of Spider Island ALSO died. WTF Marvel. Fans didn't just want Scarlet Spider back they wanted Ben also. So this 'new' Kaine, I'm assuming he has no ties to pre-BND Kaine, is going to assume the mantle of Scarlet Spider to honor Ben's sacrifice it seems? I'll bite for the first arc. I do like being somewhere in the MU that is not NYC, LA or Chicago so lets see what they do with Houston. It's a big city of some 4-5 million.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2012, 07:30 PM   #318
JD
Admiral

More X-Men Vs Avengers battle teasers...personally I'll be ignoring most of these, but will be checking out Rouge Vs Ms. Marvel given the two character's history. Also Emma Vs Hulk is an interesting Battle.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/01/...fights-fights/
Are the images we're seeing based actual fights that will be taking place? I thought they were just generic promotional images.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2012, 07:35 PM   #319
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

i think most of those images are just to promote the event. though a Daredevil VS Archangel fight would be cool.
Old January 12 2012, 10:49 PM   #320
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Mike Farley wrote: View Post
JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY is by far the best title being put out by Marvel these days. Who would have thought a title featuring Kid Loki would be so much fun? And it is, literally, the only good thing to come of FEAR ITSELF.
JiM is actually tied for my favorite title with Avengers Academy.

As for good things that came out of Fear Itself, I'm also enjoying The Defenders and am looking forward to Winter Soldier.
Old January 12 2012, 11:29 PM   #321
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

The fights are part of the book and not merely promotional images. That's whole point of the book. It is their "fight" book while the main event book focuses on the actual story.

@Captain Craig...Kaine is still the same Kaine as was mentioned in the flashback sequence. He was killed in the excellent Gauntlet arc as a sacrifice to bring back Kraven the Hunter. The Kravinoff clan actually thought it was Peter since they needed Parker blood. Kaine then was resurrected (again as was shown in the flashback) by the Queen at the start of Spider-Island based on the Jackal's recommendation. He was cleansed though and has new powers. He is still the same character we first met during the Clone Saga, and yeah he's doing this to basically honour Ben's memory and as part of his own redemption. Peter kind of helped him during Spider-Island. They actually had a really awesome dynamic despite everything that has happened between them in the past. They acted like brothers lol.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2012, 02:55 AM   #322
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

those are promotional images. from Tom Brevoort's Formspring:

So, those duels shown in the teasers may not even happen in the VS stories? They're just for teasing sake? They are teasers, yes.
http://www.formspring.me/TomBrevoort
Old January 13 2012, 03:03 AM   #323
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Okay bad job on me...I was under the impression they were promoting the battles actually happening in the fight book. A couple more from today. I believe this article has all the images. I absolutely love the Humberto Ramos Spider-Woman Vs Gambit. I've become a HUGE fan of Ramos' recent work since joining Amazing Spider-Man.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/aven...rs-120109.html

Last edited by Admiral_Young; January 14 2012 at 02:33 AM.
Old January 19 2012, 08:14 AM   #324
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Avenging Spider-Man #3: What a fun book this has turned out to be. The opening arc concludes but instead of appearing to be just a one off, the final panel reveals that perhaps the Moloids and the Mole Man are going to be involved in something larger. I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel is using this book as a means of seeding other stories. I think the next issue features Cap! The fifth issue has Hawkeye in it. I hope we get an arc where Peter teams up with Jessica (Spider-Woman). The art is fantastic as well.

Avengers #21: I'm enjoying the HAMMER WAR more in this book than I am in New Avengers. Don't know why. I'm glad John Jr. is off the art in this book though. As much as I am a fan of his, he just wasn't the right artist for this book. The Hammer War is unfolding somewhat interesting. I just hope it isn't another one of Norman's lame revenge schemes. He has all of this power now and still continues to abuse it. Sigh.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; January 19 2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old January 20 2012, 03:18 AM   #325
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

From my Marvel pile I read:

Moon Knight #9 - This was a good issue. As the story unfolds it bounces back and forth between what is going on right now and what happened one week ago. Last week, Marc is talking to his ex-SHIELD armory aide Buck. In the present he's fighting Count Nefaria. At each jump a demonstration is further made for how Marc is utilizing Cap/Spidey/Wolverine in his battle with Nefaria which far outclasses him. These tricks supplied by Buck at Marc's request are helping him stay in the fight. A tragedy happens in the fight when
. This action causes Marc to go full Wolverine with the Logan voice in his ear calling for blood.
Anyone keeping up with MK knows he's battled to push the bloodlust, last pushed on him by the inner voice of Khonshu, out of his system. So how will issue #10 go? Does the inner voice of Cap & Spidey reign Marc/MK in?

Ghost Rider #9 - It's official, I'm bummed this is getting cancelled and this is the last issue....or is it? They took 8 issues and 2 arcs but at the point they conclude explaining/introducing Alejandra as GR, her ties to Adam(her mysterious surrogate responsible for guiding the GR to her and away from Blaze) and acceptance of Blaze as mentor the series is over just as it's getting started. This issue was the second of a two parter with Hawkeye. Now I say last issue cause those keeping up know it along with X-23 were announced as cancelled back in Nov'11. This issue had the obligatory 'The End' on the last page and there isn't an issue solicited for Mar. The Alejandra, female hosted, Ghost Rider however does appear next month in Venom #13 as part of a saga called Circle of Four. Then on the last page a smaller announcement with a picture showing Alejandra's GR on the cover says, GR returns in March??
Old January 20 2012, 04:50 AM   #326
Saga
Rear Admiral

i read the first five issues of Ghost Rider and the only issue i even remotely enjoyed was issue five.
Old January 20 2012, 05:10 AM   #327
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^^
I found some enjoyment in the other 4 issues but I don't argue the pacing was a bit slow.
Ironically I'd say you quit reading as the narrative was starting to tighten up. Issue #6 wrapped up the initial explanation with Adam. Then 7&8 were the Hawkeye issues where Blaze, at the conclusion of 8, is accepted by Alejandra has a new mentor. Thus replacing Adam which proved he only had used her and was not of noble steed like she had thought.
Old January 20 2012, 05:13 AM   #328
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I notice Marvel has started really pushing Hawkeye in most of their books (I know it is due to Avengers this summer) I find it somewhat funny for some reason.

Old January 20 2012, 05:16 AM   #329
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

He's the break out star. Coulson better watch out.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2012, 01:57 PM   #330
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I notice Marvel has started really pushing Hawkeye in most of their books (I know it is due to Avengers this summer) I find it somewhat funny for some reason.
So true, I had noticed that also.
The Ghost Rider two-parter that just wrapped.
Avenging Spiderman, upcoming issue #4-5
The Captain America and... book of which he stars in the 1st arc.

Personally I'd rather have more Black Widow.