Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 12 2012, 05:19 AM   #3016
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

The Robin thing is a bit sticky but with Oracle I don't see the problem. Even if every story was in continuity you probably couldn't fill five years of real time. Especially for plotlines that take place in mere hours of a character's life yet are spread out in close to a year of monthly comics.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2012, 12:50 PM   #3017
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

DC is ending six of the titles with issue #8, then launching 6 new titles under the "New 52" umbrella. USA Today has the scoop.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2012, 01:51 PM   #3018
Mr Light
Admiral

Comic books take place in a very short amount of time, usually one day or less. And each comic ends with a cliffhanger that leads directly into the next one.

So if one comic equals one day, the 900 issues of Action Comics took place over 900 days, which is only two and a half years. And then there's a few time jumps like "One Year Later" after Infinite Crisis to add in as well.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2012, 02:16 PM   #3019
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Of the series cancelled I will miss Hawk & Dove the most. Not the art mind you but the premise of what they are. Just like the concept. Very surprised Captain Atom & Batwing survived the first round of cuts.
Both Earth 2 and Worlds Finest have my interest for the next round.
Icemizer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2012, 03:02 PM   #3020
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Seems to be the ones people were expecting - and right on time at the six month mark.

Yeah, Earth 2 and World's Finest sound worth checking out - particularly to see how that world is going to be "reconceived."
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2012, 03:03 PM   #3021
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
There came a point where the timeline and continuity became more important than telling good stories.
Yeah, same problem Star Trek had before Abrams.

Me, I like it simple: The past happen then and the present happens now. No exact dates or timelines.
Word.
Old January 12 2012, 03:08 PM   #3022
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Not surprised by the books listed but frankly am surprised that neither, or both, Voodoo or Grifter are on that list. Must be Jim Lee's pull in affect.
Glad to not see Frankenstein Agent of Shade on there or Captain Atom.

I have no urge to sample any of the new titles replacing them either.
Still no Captain Marvel title, jeez.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2012, 03:41 PM   #3023
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
DC is ending six of the titles with issue #8, then launching 6 new titles under the "New 52" umbrella. USA Today has the scoop.
Down with Hawk and Dove! Suck it Liefeld!
Old January 12 2012, 03:43 PM   #3024
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Earth 2 sounds interesting, but that's basically because of the title and the very limited gives the title a sense of both mystery and anticipation. Honestly, this title could go anywhere. More info is needed. Personally, I'm hoping for a Jay Garrick shout out.

World's Finest sounds dumb. Lets put the two dullest DC characters (who are, essentially, knock-offs of knock-offs) in a team-up book that basically lifts its premise from one of the other, weak-selling current New 52 titles, namely Legion Lost. Then again, I'm not all that much of fan of "OMG! We're exiles!" series.

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
There came a point where the timeline and continuity became more important than telling good stories.
Yeah, same problem Star Trek had before Abrams.
I never understood that criticism (and never really saw it before the Abrams movie hit). To me, it always seemed that continuity was never was barrier to the storytelling, and, if the Enterprise haters are to be believed, ENT continually broke continuity. Then again, that was more of a case of "It's wrong because that's not how I would do it!".
Old January 12 2012, 03:45 PM   #3025
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
And, as I said, I really enjoy her as a character and her inner monologues. She's just a fun, care-free, flirty character. I like it.
That's a good way of describing Batgirl. She's fun, real and is probably the most fleshed out character in the 52 line. Can't wait to get issue #5 today. She's also one of the reasons I've stuck with Birds of Prey. All I have to do is catch up to see if she's as compelling there as she is in her own title. She was also in Nightwing where she was pretty good with Dick. Grayson that is.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2012, 03:47 PM   #3026
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Of the new titles "Dial H" sounds interesting.
Old January 12 2012, 03:55 PM   #3027
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Dial H does sound interesting. I might also check out World's Finest and Batman Incorporated.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2012, 04:11 PM   #3028
Derishton
Vice Admiral

Of the new titles, World's Finest looks interesting; GI Combat will sink faster than Men of War did, I suspect, but I liked the latter and I like the idea of a new take on Haunted Tank, so I'm in for at least an issue.

Mieville on Dial H is ... a sentence I never thought I'd hear.
Old January 12 2012, 04:42 PM   #3029
JD
Admiral

Hmm, I'm surprised to see them doing another war book, I didn't think the others were doing that well. So does anyone know exactly how Batman Inc. Vol 2 will be work in the New 52verse? It sounded like there was some uncertainty how the last Batman Inc story was related to the new universe.

Other than BIv2, I don't really have more than a barely passing familiarity with the rest of the topics of those series, so until that changes the only one of those that interests me is BIv2. I'll have most likely some JSA stories by then, so there's a good chance at least Earth-2 will be added to that.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2012, 04:48 PM   #3030
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Broccoli wrote: View Post
To me, it always seemed that continuity was never was barrier to the storytelling, and, if the Enterprise haters are to be believed, ENT continually broke continuity.
That was because continuity becomes a nuisance and yes, a barrier, to doing anything interesting so ignoring or destroying it is worth doing.

I know some people don't see that, but if one doesn't then one has the choice of either being offended by it (like some of the anti-Abrams nutcases) or shrugging and accepting it - because it will be done by people who are actually trying to create good stuff and who therefore face the necessity. It will be done over and over, forever.