USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old January 11 2012, 05:49 PM   #586
John Clark
Commodore

Re: Mass Effect 3

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
The pre-order gear for ME2 were all useless except for the blackstorm, and there's apparently a similar weapon in vanilla ME3.

The non-exclusive DLC weapons (Mattock, Geth shotty) were OP like nothing else
I never got round to using the shotguns on either ME1 or 2 (my vanguards usually stuck to Biotics and pistols) but for my soldiers, the Mattock was great
Old January 11 2012, 10:24 PM   #587
bullethead
Fleet Captain

From NeoGaf:
REDWOOD SHORES, CA. – JANUARY 11, 2012 – The massive world of Amalur will finally break open when Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:EA) and 38 Studios, LLC release a demo for Kingdoms of Amalur: ReckoningTM on January 17, 2012. Available for the Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and PC, the demo will give players a taste of the rich, diverse, action-packed world of Amalur, and will also unlock special items in the final game.

In addition to the demo, 38 Studios has teamed up with BioWare to create a cross promotion to reward fans of both Reckoning and Mass Effect 3*. By playing the upcoming demos for both Reckoning and Mass Effect 3, gamers will receive special in-game items, including Mass Effect inspired, Omni-blade daggers in Reckoning and special Reckoning-themed armor and assault rifle in Mass Effect 3 designed by award-winning artist Todd McFarlane.

“We are thrilled to have the opportunity to deliver this massive one-two punch with Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and Mass Effect 3. We wanted to provide fans of the Mass Effect franchise with a unique set of rewards for diving into the expansive universe of Reckoning,” said Curt Schilling, Chairman and Founder of 38 Studios.

“We are excited to be collaborating with 38 Studios to bring pieces inspired by the Mass Effect universe into the world of Reckoning and to have items designed by Todd McFarlane in Mass Effect 3,” said Dr. Ray Muzyka, General Manager of EA’s BioWare Label and Co-Founder of BioWare. “This is an awesome way to reward our fans with unique content that not only looks cool, but also delivers some great in-game benefits.”

By playing the Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning demo,gamers will receive two unlocks for Mass Effect 3 when the highly anticipated game releases on March 6, 2012, both designed by the renowned creator of Spawn, Todd McFarlane:

Reckoner Knight Armor:
This armor will maximize damage done in close-quarters combat while a beefed–up power cell feeds energy into weapon systems to increase projectile velocity.

The Chakram Launcher: This weapon uses a fabricator to manufacture lightweight, explosive ammunition discs. This weapon is earned after completing the Reckoning demo and watching the trailer at the end.

By playing the upcoming Mass Effect 3 demo, fans will unlock the following items for Reckoning when the game launches on February 7, inspired by Mass Effect:

N7 Armor:
Players can unlock special armor inspired by Commander Shepard’s iconic N7 battle armor including Helm, Cuirass, Gauntlets, Chausses and Greaves.

Onmiblade Daggers: A holographic blade stemming from Commander Shepard’s Omni-Tool, the Omni-blade allows players to stab enemies in close combat. Once players install and play the Mass Effect 3 demo, they will unlock the daggers.

The Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning demo features the introduction to the game, allowing players to experience the game’s Tutorial Mode and a portion of its large, open world. Players will create and customize their hero and drop right into the action. Once players master the basics, they will have 45 minutes to explore the vast world of Amalur and begin to embark upon a quest that could redefine their character’s destiny forever.

Old January 11 2012, 10:47 PM   #588
Skywalker
Admiral

Meh, I only ever use the N7 armor (with various modifications, of course).
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2012, 11:46 PM   #589
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Well at least the helmet looks good. I'll probably go for this since I'm always willing to give a new demo a go. I mean at least you don't have to buy the game like you did with the blood dragon armour, right?
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2012, 07:26 PM   #590
stalin2005
Lieutenant Commander

View stalin2005's Twitter Profile

But the Blood Dragon Armor was fantastic in ME2. Too bad I didn't really like DA:O (although I finished it)
Old January 14 2012, 04:12 AM   #591
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Well i was going to get this for the PC but as the retail version requires origin for authentication i dont think i will bother now, i have enough with steam and GFWL on my PC, i dont need or can be bothered dealing with any more of these programs.

ME3 will requires Origin(Retail and digital)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=458904

1) Will Origin be a requirement to play all versions of Mass Effect 3? (Digital and/or from a retail brick and mortar store) Yes, Origin is required for all PC editions of Mass Effect 3, physical or digital.

2) Is constant Origin connection required or is it a single one off authentication when the game is first installed. Is there also a limit to the number of installations available?
Mass Effect 3 will require a one time, single authorization for the single player game. There is no limit to the number of installs. Playing Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer will require a constant connection.

3) Is Origin required for the retail versions of the game?
Origin is required for the PC versions of Mass Effect 3, both physical and digital.

4) Will ME3 be available on Steam?
During initial release Mass Effect 3 will be available on Origin and a number of other 3rd party digital retailers, but not on Steam at this time. Steam has adopted a set of restrictive terms of service which limit how developers interact with customers to deliver patches and other downloadable content. We are intent on providing Mass Effect to players with the best possible experience no matter where they purchase or play their game, and are happy to partner with any download service that does not restrict our ability to connect directly with our consumers.

5) Is there an opt in or opt out clause for data collection?
Users will be allowed to opt-out of Mass Effect 3 data collection from inside the game.

6) I’ve seen reports that Origin is spyware. Is this true?
Origin is not spyware, and does not use or install spyware on user’s machines. In order to allow Origin to install games and their patches for everyone to use, Origin implements a permission change that results in Windows, not Origin, reviewing the filenames in the ProgramData/Origin folder. This is an ordinary Windows function, not an information-gathering process.

7) Has the Origin EULA been updated following recent questions in Germany?
The German Origin EULA has been updated. For more information, please review the Origin EULA here: http://www.ea.com/1/product-eulas.

8) Is there a double-opt in for Mass Effect 3 marketing emails for German residents?
Yes, we always adhere to the German requirement of a double opt-in standard for marketing emails. Mass Effect 3 users must opt-in twice to receive these emails.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2012, 05:58 AM   #592
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I'm rather resigned to the whole thing. My preference would be to get it on Steam, but that's obviously not going to happen since Valve and EA had a falling out. Even if I owned and Xbox or PS3 (which I don't), all my previous ME1&2 saves are on the PC and starting from scratch for ME3 just isn't going to happen.

Personally, I plan on finding a way to disable or block Origin from making an outside connection once the game has been installed and all the activation codes have been sorted out (which took a bot of doing for ME2 as well as I recall.)
Old January 16 2012, 02:11 PM   #593
backstept
Rear Admiral

View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept

ME3 being on Steam was my main concern . . . looks like I won't be getting it for a while.
Old January 18 2012, 02:01 AM   #594
Reverend
Rear Admiral

bullethead wrote: View Post
From NeoGaf:
REDWOOD SHORES, CA. – JANUARY 11, 2012 – The massive world of Amalur will finally break open when Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:EA) and 38 Studios, LLC release a demo for Kingdoms of Amalur: ReckoningTM on January 17, 2012. Available for the Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and PC, the demo will give players a taste of the rich, diverse, action-packed world of Amalur, and will also unlock special items in the final game.

In addition to the demo, 38 Studios has teamed up with BioWare to create a cross promotion to reward fans of both Reckoning and Mass Effect 3*. By playing the upcoming demos for both Reckoning and Mass Effect 3, gamers will receive special in-game items, including Mass Effect inspired, Omni-blade daggers in Reckoning and special Reckoning-themed armor and assault rifle in Mass Effect 3 designed by award-winning artist Todd McFarlane.

“We are thrilled to have the opportunity to deliver this massive one-two punch with Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and Mass Effect 3. We wanted to provide fans of the Mass Effect franchise with a unique set of rewards for diving into the expansive universe of Reckoning,” said Curt Schilling, Chairman and Founder of 38 Studios.

“We are excited to be collaborating with 38 Studios to bring pieces inspired by the Mass Effect universe into the world of Reckoning and to have items designed by Todd McFarlane in Mass Effect 3,” said Dr. Ray Muzyka, General Manager of EA’s BioWare Label and Co-Founder of BioWare. “This is an awesome way to reward our fans with unique content that not only looks cool, but also delivers some great in-game benefits.”

By playing the Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning demo,gamers will receive two unlocks for Mass Effect 3 when the highly anticipated game releases on March 6, 2012, both designed by the renowned creator of Spawn, Todd McFarlane:

Reckoner Knight Armor:
This armor will maximize damage done in close-quarters combat while a beefed–up power cell feeds energy into weapon systems to increase projectile velocity.

The Chakram Launcher: This weapon uses a fabricator to manufacture lightweight, explosive ammunition discs. This weapon is earned after completing the Reckoning demo and watching the trailer at the end.

By playing the upcoming Mass Effect 3 demo, fans will unlock the following items for Reckoning when the game launches on February 7, inspired by Mass Effect:

N7 Armor:
Players can unlock special armor inspired by Commander Shepard’s iconic N7 battle armor including Helm, Cuirass, Gauntlets, Chausses and Greaves.

Onmiblade Daggers: A holographic blade stemming from Commander Shepard’s Omni-Tool, the Omni-blade allows players to stab enemies in close combat. Once players install and play the Mass Effect 3 demo, they will unlock the daggers.

The Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning demo features the introduction to the game, allowing players to experience the game’s Tutorial Mode and a portion of its large, open world. Players will create and customize their hero and drop right into the action. Once players master the basics, they will have 45 minutes to explore the vast world of Amalur and begin to embark upon a quest that could redefine their character’s destiny forever.

Just finished playing the demo and I have to say, it was a lot of fun! Gameplay wise it's sort of Zelda/Beyond Good & Evil meets Dragon Age. Storywise...not so much, but then it's an open world RPG, so I wouldn't expect the main plot to open up within the first 45 mins.

And yes, just to be sure I checked that the ME3 DLC has been unlocked on my Bioware social account.
Old January 19 2012, 01:52 AM   #595
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Apologies for double posting, but I just came across the official announcement for the Mass Effect 3 demo. Short version: it'll be out on all platforms on February 14.

I'm not sure if I'll bother with it myself as I know I'm going to buy the game regardless and I'd like to remain spoiler free as much as possible.
Old January 19 2012, 03:38 AM   #596
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

Yeah, I think I'll wait and see what ppl say about it. ( If it's Spoiler City, population: waaaay too much) before I decide yea or nay.

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2012, 03:44 AM   #597
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

It's the same two missions from the leaked demo. Which honestly didn't reveal too much that hasn't already been blown in press releases ("teh Reapers invadin our planitz, we r skared").
Old January 19 2012, 05:46 PM   #598
John Clark
Commodore

Reverend wrote: View Post
Apologies for double posting, but I just came across the official announcement for the Mass Effect 3 demo. Short version: it'll be out on all platforms on February 14.

I'm not sure if I'll bother with it myself as I know I'm going to buy the game regardless and I'd like to remain spoiler free as much as possible.
I'm going to try and resist, but I'll probably end up getting the demo. If nothing else, it'll give me a chance to see how Origin handles while running it.
Old January 20 2012, 05:01 AM   #599
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^The only thing that's tempting me at the moment is the Kingdoms of Amalur unlockables. I think that demo might have won me over. Out of interest, did anyone else give it a go?
Old January 20 2012, 07:22 AM   #600
BigFoot
Admiral

^ Not yet... I probably will though.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote