Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 8 2012, 06:23 AM   #4036
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

pengbuzz wrote: View Post
I didn't like superman returns and I don't think Hollywood has any new ideas. Sorry if I offended folks' sensibilities here, but when it is my money buying the movie ticket, I reserve the right to like what I like. And in the last few years, Hollywood hasn't had anything good; to say it's "nostalgia" is to maintain the "always has been always will be" mindset.

So with that, I will step out of this thread; if I wanted to get jumped for stating my honest opinion, I'd go sign up on a video gamers' forum.
Its called discussion and debate. Disagreement is not "jumped". If all you're looking for is people who will agree with you, you're in the wrong place.

Thing is "always has been always will be" is true in Hollywood and any other creative environment. Product will vary in quality and most of what is produced will not be that good or memorable. That will never change.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2012, 08:06 AM   #4037
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

The thing is I don't anyone ever disagreed with you pengbuzz...I was confused with the answer you gave Trekker. He made a fair point and you then responded by blaming hollywood, without establishing that you didn't like "Superman Returns" until the response after my post.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2012, 08:50 AM   #4038
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
The two movies, other than being about Superman, have virtually nothing in common. So there's no reason why to think the previous movie would have any impact on this one.

I mean, you didn't judge "Batman Returns" based on what "Batman and Robin" was like, did you?
That would have been difficult, given that Returns came out 5 years earlier.

(Yeah, I know you mean Batman Begins)
Old January 8 2012, 12:46 PM   #4039
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
The two movies, other than being about Superman, have virtually nothing in common. So there's no reason why to think the previous movie would have any impact on this one.

I mean, you didn't judge "Batman Returns" based on what "Batman and Robin" was like, did you?
That would have been difficult, given that Returns came out 5 years earlier.

(Yeah, I know you mean Batman Begins)
D'OH!

Fixed.

Anyway, the point still stands. Judging one movie based on the failings of the previous series' creative team is... odd.

There's probably countless examples we can call on to use where a series of movies had a "reboot" or a new creative angle taken. Look at the Bond movies. Is it fair to judge the first Daniel Craig movie based on the last Pierce Brosnan movie? Both have very different takes and looks at the character and there's a strong change of tone between the two. (The Brosnan movies went extreme action movie camp, the Craig movies went back to gritty spy action stuff.)

The "Spider-Man" reboot is taking a different approach.

The previous "Hulk" movie was a different take than the one that came out a few years before.

2009's "Star Trek" was a different take than the last batch of movies (both from TNG and TOS.)

If you think Hollywood is bankrupt for ideas (which in of itself is a shaky place to stand, as there's still been plenty of movies that have came out to show otherwise) that's one thing. But it's not fair to judge a movie that is starting it's own thing based on it's predecessor.

Superman Returns was tying into the Donner movie(s) and partly inspired by them. "Man of Steel" is starting it's own path with no ties to any of the previous movies. Now, it may be worse than Returns (which I sort of like, but know it has flaws) but it's not fair to judge it simply because the last movie sucked. The two have nothing in common other than the main character and the studio(s) involved. Casting, creative staff, all of that is different. Hell, it wouldn't have been fair to judge Returns on the Superman IV abortion of a movie and you may hate Returns to the ends of the Earth but it was not worse than Superman IV.

As for Hollywood being bankrupt for ideas, a lot of crap coming out, doesn't wash with me. If you were to look at the releases over time you'd see there was a lot of crap that came out in the 50s, 60s and 70s. A lot, but only the good stuff survived so we think higher of that time. Right now we're seeing everything.

In 10-20 years it'll be different, we'll have forgotten about all of the crap and only remember the good stuff.
Old January 8 2012, 12:55 PM   #4040
AFEK ESLCAFE W
Lieutenant Commander

In 10-20 years it'll be different, we'll have forgotten about all of the crap and only remember the good stuff.
Except for Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace and Batman & Robin.
AFEK ESLCAFE W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2012, 06:06 PM   #4041
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

the G-man wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^ I remember overhearing someone saying that "'im 'rry" is playing the Riddler in the new Batman film' and thinking that at last Tim was getting his big break! Of course, it was Jim Carrey, not Tim Curry - though I wasn't too disappointed in that choice either.
Kind of a similar thing happened to me with the first film. Someone overheard me talking about the casting of Michael Keaton and said "he'll make a great Joker."
They were in good company. When Burton told Keaton that he was making a Batman movie and wanted to cast Keaton in it, the actor's first reaction was 'Oh, as The Joker? Yeah, I'd be up for that.' Cue double-take when the director tells him what part he wanted him for.

I know this is well off the Superman topic, but I think Tom Cavanagh (Yogi Bear, Ed, Scrubs) looks really like The Joker.

(And it's hard to believe from his imdb page that he's 49 this year http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0146915/ )
Old January 8 2012, 06:35 PM   #4042
davejames
Vice Admiral

As for Hollywood being bankrupt for ideas, a lot of crap coming out, doesn't wash with me. If you were to look at the releases over time you'd see there was a lot of crap that came out in the 50s, 60s and 70s. A lot, but only the good stuff survived so we think higher of that time. Right now we're seeing everything.
Agreed. 20 years from now, no one is going to remember some crappy scifi flick like Battle: Los Angeles or some disposable Adam Sandler comedy. They'll just remember the good stuff, like Bridesmaids, Drive, or The Artist.

Every year there are TONS of great movies that are released-- you just have to know where to look for them.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2012, 10:35 PM   #4043
JD
Admiral

Have we heard anything about what movies will be advertising during the Superbowl? Or is that too early?
EDIT: Oops, didn't realize there were more posts after the trailer discussion.
Old January 9 2012, 01:14 AM   #4044
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

We usually don't hear about Super Bowl trailers until near the end of this month. The NFL playoffs have just started this weekend so we probably won't hear about trailers for a good couple weeks yet.

Old January 9 2012, 06:05 AM   #4045
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

pengbuzz wrote: View Post
I didn't like superman returns and I don't think Hollywood has any new ideas.
Hollywood, from day one, was built on recycling old ideas. Anything considered original is a novelty and far from the norm.
Old January 9 2012, 06:07 AM   #4046
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
We usually don't hear about Super Bowl trailers until near the end of this month. The NFL playoffs have just started this weekend so we probably won't hear about trailers for a good couple weeks yet.
I bet there will be, at least, an Avengers. Marvel movies tend to get previewed during the Super Bowl, I've noticed.
Old January 9 2012, 07:52 AM   #4047
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

We'll probably see the first teaser trailer with The Dark Knight Rises.
Old January 9 2012, 08:49 PM   #4048
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ I kind of doubt that. It'd be sweet but I think the big trailer will be "The Amazing Spider-Man". Perhaps "Avengers" as Broc stated. Maybe Ghost Rider will squeeze one in there. If anything maybe we'll get the first TDKR trailer or something from last month.

Old January 9 2012, 08:52 PM   #4049
davejames
Vice Admiral

At this point I'd be happy with just some more official photos of the cast.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2012, 03:47 AM   #4050
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Professor Hamilton has been cast...

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=85798