Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 9 2012, 06:37 PM   #31
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

Re: SPACE: Above and Beyond - Reviews and general geekiness

saturn5 wrote: View Post
SnowFlakeOnTheWave wrote: View Post
I didn't really care for it at first. After seeing the final episode, I thought it may be worth it to see the whole thing. A couple years back I got the DVDs for cheap. There were worse ways to kill a weekend.

I thought it was odd though, the way everyone was a pilot and a ground troop. Reminded me of the GIJoe cartoons from the 80s. I really wasn't sure if it was a conscious statement on the part of the writers to make future warriors completely adaptable. Or just lazy writing. "Eh, !@#$ it, everyone's a pilot and ground pounder. And a diver. And they snow board."
I'm afraid you have to chalk that up to the cliches of storytelling, like Captain Kirk leading every away party or The Unit's members being able to blend into every enviroment, the series wanted to explore every aspect of the war but keep the continuity of the characters
Making the main characters combined fighter pilots/ground soldiers simply opened up more story-telling opportunities. Some people questioned the realism of having such "multi-purpose" soldiers. But then again, it's supposed to be the year 2063, who knows how the military is gonna work then?
Ensign_Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2012, 06:49 PM   #32
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

SnowFlakeOnTheWave wrote: View Post
I didn't really care for it at first. After seeing the final episode, I thought it may be worth it to see the whole thing. A couple years back I got the DVDs for cheap. There were worse ways to kill a weekend.

I thought it was odd though, the way everyone was a pilot and a ground troop. Reminded me of the GIJoe cartoons from the 80s. I really wasn't sure if it was a conscious statement on the part of the writers to make future warriors completely adaptable. Or just lazy writing. "Eh, !@#$ it, everyone's a pilot and ground pounder. And a diver. And they snow board."
I'm afraid you have to chalk that up to the cliches of storytelling, like Captain Kirk leading every away party or The Unit's members being able to blend into every enviroment, the series wanted to explore every aspect of the war but keep the continuity of the characters
Right. It was just easier to have one set of main characters to insert in all aspects of the war than it would have been to have different teams for every dimension of warfare or to concentrate just on the "air" war like "Black Sheep Squadron" (another fine series about Marine Corps Aviators).

And it seems like Kristen Cloke/Shane Vansen has emerged as the crush/darling/babe of the show. I'm not surprised at all. When Space was cancelled, I followed her to Millenium where she had a recurring role (the only reason to watch that show really).

Then, years later, she did Final Destination. I've since forgiven her, but it took a while.

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2012, 06:53 PM   #33
Forbin
Admiral

I seem to recall a scene that was probably driven by fan criticism, wherein McQueen addresses the troops: "I've heard some whining about having to be both pilots AND ground pounders. May I remind you that you are Marines, and you will do whatever you are ordered to do!"

And that was the end of that discussion!
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2012, 06:56 PM   #34
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post
I seem to recall a scene that was probably driven by fan criticism, wherein McQueen addresses the troops: "I've heard some whining about having to be both pilots AND ground pounders. May I remind you that you are Marines, and you will do whatever you are ordered to do!"

Actually, his exact words were "This isn't the AIR FORCE!" Followed by a motto of the Corps that sums it up nicely: "Every Marine a Rifleman!" It was in the ep "Dear Earth."

Maurice Navidad wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post
I've heard cost talked about before as a reason for why some shows don't get second seasons, and that's obviously a factor, but it's always been my contention that a big enough viewership would make money no object. I think if S:AAB (or Firefly, or Caprica, what have you) had the ratings that Cheers or Friends got on a consistent basis advertisers would gladly pay through the nose to sponsor such shows and the network in turn would gladly pay whatever it took to keep them on the air.
Sadly, that's not always the case. The original BSG never fell out of the top 25 shows, but CBS counter-programmed All In the Family and Alice against it, causing it to drop out of the top 10. BSG's high cost and troubled production schedule (partly ABC's fault for going to series too fast) made ABC think it could be more successful in that timeslot by moving the much cheaper to make powerhouse of Mork & Mindy against CBS on Sunday at 8. (That didn't turn out to be the case, and Mork's ratings dropped so much that the show never recovered.) BSG was killed despite doing pretty well in the ratings against some of the toughest competition on network TV: Archie Bunker.
Reference here.
I guess you're right. I just like to think that the show would have gotten at least one more season if it had an overwhelming fan base.

Last edited by Admiral2; January 9 2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old January 9 2012, 10:45 PM   #35
saturn5
Fleet Captain

Actually, his exact words were "This isn't the AIR FORCE!" Followed by a motto of the Corps that sums it up nicely: "Every Marine a Rifleman!" It was in the ep "Dear Earth."

Maurice Navidad wrote: View Post
I've heard cost talked about before as a reason for why some shows don't get second seasons, and that's obviously a factor, but it's always been my contention that a big enough viewership would make money no object. I think if S:AAB (or Firefly, or Caprica, what have you) had the ratings that Cheers or Friends got on a consistent basis advertisers would gladly pay through the nose to sponsor such shows and the network in turn would gladly pay whatever it took to keep them on the air.
Sadly, that's not always the case. The original BSG never fell out of the top 25 shows, but CBS counter-programmed All In the Family and Alice against it, causing it to drop out of the top 10. BSG's high cost and troubled production schedule (partly ABC's fault for going to series too fast) made ABC think it could be more successful in that timeslot by moving the much cheaper to make powerhouse of Mork & Mindy against CBS on Sunday at 8. (That didn't turn out to be the case, and Mork's ratings dropped so much that the show never recovered.) BSG was killed despite doing pretty well in the ratings against some of the toughest competition on network TV: Archie Bunker.
Reference here.
I guess you're right. I just like to think that the show would have gotten at least one more season if it had an overwhelming fan base.
The curse of sci-fi, it's reasonably expensive in relation to the figures it gets. SAAB had a huge budget for it's day and just couldn't justify it for the audience it got. Classic BSG suffered from the same problem, Bab 5 and New BSG had the advantage of cheap and effective CGI which meant they survived. By contrast a comedy series like 'Friends' has no stunts, no special effects, can be filmed entirely in the studio and get good ratings, the most expensive thing is the cast's salary. Then of course in reality TV you don't even need that
saturn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2012, 01:19 AM   #36
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

The curse of sci-fi, it's reasonably expensive in relation to the figures it gets. SAAB had a huge budget for it's day and just couldn't justify it for the audience it got. Classic BSG suffered from the same problem, Bab 5 and New BSG had the advantage of cheap and effective CGI which meant they survived. By contrast a comedy series like 'Friends' has no stunts, no special effects, can be filmed entirely in the studio and get good ratings, the most expensive thing is the cast's salary. Then of course in reality TV you don't even need that
What kills me is, I hated Friends, and I remember when some of the cast (or maybe all of them) were jockeying for seven figs and I thought: "These people want to get paid a million dollars each to act in this shit?"

Old January 10 2012, 01:41 AM   #37
saturn5
Fleet Captain

What kills me is, I hated Friends, and I remember when some of the cast (or maybe all of them) were jockeying for seven figs and I thought: "These people want to get paid a million dollars each to act in this shit?"
I like Friends and to be fair the actors were worth it (except Ross?). But it's cheap to make, no expensive costumes or fancy SFX makeup etc so they can afford to pay the cast, no sci-fi show could ever pay it's stars that much
Old January 10 2012, 02:00 AM   #38
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

I like Friends and to be fair the actors were worth it (except Ross?).
Not all of them. Aniston, LeBlanc and Perry, maybe, who were actually funny. The rest were just there to be hip and ironic.

But it's cheap to make, no expensive costumes or fancy SFX makeup etc so they can afford to pay the cast,
True. All they needed was a coffee shop and two Manhattan apartments nobody in the universe could afford.

no sci-fi show could ever pay it's stars that much
So be it, but I would gladly have chipped in to pay Kristen Cloke Jennifer Aniston's salary because I'd rather have a couple of years of Space than eight years of "The One Where Phoebe says something else goofy and Ross acts nebbishy."

Old January 10 2012, 03:02 AM   #39
saturn5
Fleet Captain

I like Friends and to be fair the actors were worth it (except Ross?).
Not all of them. Aniston, LeBlanc and Perry, maybe, who were actually funny. The rest were just there to be hip and ironic.

But it's cheap to make, no expensive costumes or fancy SFX makeup etc so they can afford to pay the cast,
True. All they needed was a coffee shop and two Manhattan apartments nobody in the universe could afford.

no sci-fi show could ever pay it's stars that much
So be it, but I would gladly have chipped in to pay Kristen Cloke Jennifer Aniston's salary because I'd rather have a couple of years of Space than eight years of "The One Where Phoebe says something else goofy and Ross acts nebbishy."
Perry was the funny one (even wrote a lot of his own stuff having previously been a scriptwriter), the girls were gorgeous but the show would have still worked if it had just been Chandler and Phoboe. Of course it would have essentially been Dharma and Greg...

Yeah Playboy worked out for Joey to have lived where he was supposed to would have cost $5000 a month. But the camera makes everything look bigger and you need decent sized places in order to fit all the equipment in
Old January 10 2012, 03:40 AM   #40
Forbin
Admiral

This thread got me amped, so I just watched Never No More and Angriest Angel again. Good lord, that was a good fracking show!!!
Old January 10 2012, 09:18 AM   #41
saturn5
Fleet Captain

This thread got me amped, so I just watched Never No More and Angriest Angel again. Good lord, that was a good fracking show!!!
New BSG certainly thought so. Have you watched 'Who Monitors the Birds?' yet?
Old January 10 2012, 01:50 PM   #42
Forbin
Admiral

I've watched "Who Monitors the Birds" about six times over the years.
Old January 10 2012, 02:05 PM   #43
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Joss Whedon named "Who Monitors the Birds" as one of his inspirations for Buffy's "Hush".
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2012, 02:30 PM   #44
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Perry was the funny one (even wrote a lot of his own stuff having previously been a scriptwriter),
Aniston and LeBlanc had some comedy chops. Aniston had a few sitcoms under her belt before Friends (I first crushed on her when she was on "Molloy") and LeBlanc guested on Married with Children and starred in the really short-lived Top of The Heap.

the girls were gorgeous but the show would have still worked if it had just been Chandler and Phoboe. Of course it would have essentially been Dharma and Greg...
Yes, but Dharma and Greg rocked. That was a funny show!

Yeah Playboy worked out for Joey to have lived where he was supposed to would have cost $5000 a month. But the camera makes everything look bigger and you need decent sized places in order to fit all the equipment in
I understand that, but it makes it look like people who make barista's salaries can afford to live on Central Park West. It's annoying.

Old January 10 2012, 02:38 PM   #45
saturn5
Fleet Captain

Perry was the funny one (even wrote a lot of his own stuff having previously been a scriptwriter),
Aniston and LeBlanc had some comedy chops. Aniston had a few sitcoms under her belt before Friends (I first crushed on her when she was on "Molloy") and LeBlanc guested on Married with Children and starred in the really short-lived Top of The Heap.

the girls were gorgeous but the show would have still worked if it had just been Chandler and Phoboe. Of course it would have essentially been Dharma and Greg...
Yes, but Dharma and Greg rocked. That was a funny show!

I understand that, but it makes it look like people who make barista's salaries can afford to live on Central Park West. It's annoying.
Yeah, I remember Jennifer Anniston playing Herman's sister in Herman's Head (along with Jane Sibbert who'd go on to play Ross' ex-wife). Also, Chandler's folks are rich so maybe he subsidises him?