RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,577
Posts: 5,403,057
Members: 24,865
Currently online: 465
Newest member: shyrim

TrekToday headlines

October-November 2014 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Cho Selfie TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

TPTB To Shatner: Shhh!
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 7 2012, 10:29 AM   #151
Killandra
Lieutenant Commander
 
Killandra's Avatar
 
Location: Virginia
View Killandra's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Killandra Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Killandra Send a message via Yahoo to Killandra
Re: Sign in the new petition for Bring Back Janeway, please!

[QUOTE=Therin of Andor;5549746]
Capt.Jaysee wrote: View Post
Niether does flaming people for wanting Janeway back!

Who is flaming? Killandra is a Janeway fan, but then so am I, so who are you talking to here?
Thanks, Therin of Andor. Yes, I am a Janeway fan (I think I've perhaps said it enough to bore everyone here to tears), and I will defend Janeway, but I also admit her faults. All characters and each Trek series has them, some more than others.
__________________
"Listen to me very carefully because I'm only going to say this once. Coffee. Black."-Kathryn Janeway

Last edited by Killandra; January 7 2012 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Spelling correction...it's 4:30 am here, cut me a break..lol
Killandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2012, 01:23 PM   #152
Capt.Jaysee
Ensign
 
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Re: Sign in the new petition for Bring Back Janeway, please!

Killandra wrote: View Post
Capt.Jaysee wrote: View Post
Killandra wrote: View Post

Yeah, I have to say I wasn't getting the whole Elvis not being real reference. True, he didn't write all his own songs- few musicians do, but I don't see where he has any relevance to the Janeway argument.
Niether does flaming people for wanting Janeway back! Share your opinion, but don't go on and on about it. You know this thread was created for Janeway fans, you knew that commenting against it, would cause arguments. That was the intent.


Grow up!
Capt. Jaysee,

Perhaps before telling me to "grow up", you should go back and actually read my posts, you will see that I am in fact a Janeway fan. I have said repetitively actually how she is a childhood hero of mine.

I have not flamed anyone. Nor do I see how the above quote of mine that you commented on was a flame. Never once did I comment against Janeway or spit venom to anyone on this thread. I have, however tried to find common ground for everyone involved. Truth be told, I actually suggested to someone posting about the petition on the "other trek board" that they perhaps post it here as well. Your attack against me was completely unfounded and unnecessary.
I haven't ATTACKED anyone. I didn't aim it at you personally. I was speaking in general about people's posts on this thread and threads to do with bringing KJ back.

I have difficulty wording things, I'm sick of people making a mockery of my opinion, cause they like to take things i say out of context.

What about the post "not again, don't YOU people give up" and things like that. Why comment on it, that type of things aren't discussion. what about "Your not making a good case for yourself"...Well if I had better language skills maybe I could word it so people understand, but I don't.

When did I say you weren't a Janeway fan? I don't remember telling anyone they were or weren't one.
__________________
Should I smile because he’s my friend, or cry because that’s all he is?
Capt.Jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2012, 01:42 PM   #153
Akiraprise
Moderator
 
Akiraprise's Avatar
 
Re: Sign in the new petition for Bring Back Janeway, please!

This is a discussion board. People have opposing viewpoints. They're entitled to express them. It's the nature of the beast. This is one of the most volatile topics in this forum when it pops up from time to time. The fact that we can still have volatile topics in a forum about a show that's been off the air for 12 years says something. I'm not quite sure what, but it says something.

Truth be told I think all online petitions are a waste of time. It's too easy to just point, click, and send an e-mail to some corporate lackey who makes virtually no money and could give two shits less about whatever the topic is. But people are free to do what they want with their time and if they want to fill out petitions online more power to them.
__________________
Satan Alien: "You're in a dangerous profession Captain. You face death everyday. There will be another time, and I'll be waiting. Eventually you're coming to my matrix and you will nourish me for a long long time."
Janeway: "Go back to Hell. Coward."
Akiraprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2012, 03:54 PM   #154
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Sign in the new petition for Bring Back Janeway, please!

Capt.Jaysee wrote: View Post
I haven't ATTACKED anyone. I didn't aim it at you personally. I was speaking in general about people's posts on this thread and threads to do with bringing KJ back.
But you addressed the issue of flaming in a reply to a post involving a quoted discussion between Killandra and Therin of Andor, neither of whom had flamed you. We did question the validity of your previous statement that Elvis didn't write his own songs, and we were curious as to just who you were accusing of flaming.

I have difficulty wording things, I'm sick of people making a mockery of my opinion, cause they like to take things i say out of context.
No one makes a mockery of opinions that are backed up by facts. I would say that we all have "difficulty wording things" when it comes to controversial topics about which we are passionate. Debating contentious topics is hard work.

Well if I had better language skills maybe I could word it so people understand, but I don't.
The general rule of thumb would be that if you make a sweeping statement, have some solid facts to back it up. We can all have opinions, and are entitled/encouraged to share them - but if we are using our personal opinions in a debate, they need to be informed opinions. This is where a few Janeway supporters (and even myself) have come unraveled when discussing the post-Janeway VOY novels in this thread, because if you haven't read them all, you don't have an informed opinion on their content or style.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2012, 04:40 PM   #155
Capt.Jaysee
Ensign
 
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Re: Sign in the new petition for Bring Back Janeway, please!

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Capt.Jaysee wrote: View Post
I haven't ATTACKED anyone. I didn't aim it at you personally. I was speaking in general about people's posts on this thread and threads to do with bringing KJ back.
But you addressed the issue of flaming in a reply to a post involving a quoted discussion between Killandra and Therin of Andor, neither of whom had flamed you. We did question the validity of your previous statement that Elvis didn't write his own songs, and we were curious as to just who you were accusing of flaming.

I have difficulty wording things, I'm sick of people making a mockery of my opinion, cause they like to take things i say out of context.
No one makes a mockery of opinions that are backed up by facts. I would say that we all have "difficulty wording things" when it comes to controversial topics about which we are passionate. Debating contentious topics is hard work.

Well if I had better language skills maybe I could word it so people understand, but I don't.
The general rule of thumb would be that if you make a sweeping statement, have some solid facts to back it up. We can all have opinions, and are entitled/encouraged to share them - but if we are using our personal opinions in a debate, they need to be informed opinions. This is where a few Janeway supporters (and even myself) have come unraveled when discussing the post-Janeway VOY novels in this thread, because if you haven't read them all, you don't have an informed opinion on their content or style.
Well it wasn't my intention to address it to anyone in particular, I apologize if it came across that way, i thought you quote it to keep it fresh so people don't have to flick through the whole thread.

When threads are made like this I thought people who signed the petition would be discussing how to get more signatures and how to promote the cause.
__________________
Should I smile because he’s my friend, or cry because that’s all he is?
Capt.Jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2012, 04:51 PM   #156
Sector 7
Rear Admiral
 
Sector 7's Avatar
 
Location: McCrory/Hitler's Republic of North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Sector 7
Re: Sign in the new petition for Bring Back Janeway, please!

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
Finngle Bells wrote: View Post
Why are you people still at it?
Their lives are empty without their fictional bipolar excuse of a captain apparently.
Saying "Their lives are empty..." is not the way to win your point.

While Janeway is, indeed, a "fictional, bipolar excuse of a captain" [I corrected your sentence with the appropriate comma... gotta watch that punctuation when attacking a fictional character], you forgot to add the most important part... over-caffeinated.

No, I cannot in good conscience sign any petition to "Bring Back Janeway". Leave her wherever she ended up. While I loved the series, Janeway's constant contradictions made her my least favorite character. Making her an admiral for merely getting most of her crew back alive, in spite of her misconduct and bipolar decision making, was not the right thing to do. Had it not been bad publicity, she should have been brought to a court-martial.
__________________
“When all Americans are treated as equal, no matter who they are or whom they love, we are all more free.” -Pres. Obama
"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon." -Pres. Clinton
Sector 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2012, 09:01 PM   #157
Gypsyspirit
Cadet
 
Re: Sign in the new petition for Bring Back Janeway, please!

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
Finngle Bells wrote: View Post
Why are you people still at it?
Their lives are empty without their fictional bipolar excuse of a captain apparently.
Saying "Their lives are empty..." is not the way to win your point.

While Janeway is, indeed, a "fictional, bipolar excuse of a captain" [I corrected your sentence with the appropriate comma... gotta watch that punctuation when attacking a fictional character], you forgot to add the most important part... over-caffeinated.

No, I cannot in good conscience sign any petition to "Bring Back Janeway". Leave her wherever she ended up. While I loved the series, Janeway's constant contradictions made her my least favorite character. Making her an admiral for merely getting most of her crew back alive, in spite of her misconduct and bipolar decision making, was not the right thing to do. Had it not been bad publicity, she should have been brought to a court-martial.
Pure Targ crap my dear Sir!

( i re-registered to this horrible forum purely to tell u this, so u should feel honored :-)
Gypsyspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2012, 09:51 PM   #158
Relayer1
Commodore
 
Relayer1's Avatar
 
Location: The Black Country, England
Re: Sign in the new petition for Bring Back Janeway, please!

Whether you are a Janeway fan or not (I have made my feelings known), by posting here, the topic of a petition is automatically a discussion point, and the fact that we are still going shows that it is still valid.

Pro or anti posts are keeping it fresh and exposing it to new readers who otherwise might not see it. Some will sign up - it's all good for the campaign !

__________________
Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2012, 12:35 AM   #159
Killandra
Lieutenant Commander
 
Killandra's Avatar
 
Location: Virginia
View Killandra's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Killandra Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Killandra Send a message via Yahoo to Killandra
Re: Sign in the new petition for Bring Back Janeway, please!

Capt.Jaysee wrote: View Post
Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Capt.Jaysee wrote: View Post
I haven't ATTACKED anyone. I didn't aim it at you personally. I was speaking in general about people's posts on this thread and threads to do with bringing KJ back.
But you addressed the issue of flaming in a reply to a post involving a quoted discussion between Killandra and Therin of Andor, neither of whom had flamed you. We did question the validity of your previous statement that Elvis didn't write his own songs, and we were curious as to just who you were accusing of flaming.

No one makes a mockery of opinions that are backed up by facts. I would say that we all have "difficulty wording things" when it comes to controversial topics about which we are passionate. Debating contentious topics is hard work.

Well if I had better language skills maybe I could word it so people understand, but I don't.
The general rule of thumb would be that if you make a sweeping statement, have some solid facts to back it up. We can all have opinions, and are entitled/encouraged to share them - but if we are using our personal opinions in a debate, they need to be informed opinions. This is where a few Janeway supporters (and even myself) have come unraveled when discussing the post-Janeway VOY novels in this thread, because if you haven't read them all, you don't have an informed opinion on their content or style.
Well it wasn't my intention to address it to anyone in particular, I apologize if it came across that way, i thought you quote it to keep it fresh so people don't have to flick through the whole thread.

When threads are made like this I thought people who signed the petition would be discussing how to get more signatures and how to promote the cause.
Capt. Jaysee: Apology accepted. I apologize if I came off a bit cross in my reply, but I was upset and offended how your statements originally came across. Let's just move on and forget this incident, eh?

Therin of Andor: Once again in the short time I've been active here, I'm impressed with your candor and brilliance.
__________________
"Listen to me very carefully because I'm only going to say this once. Coffee. Black."-Kathryn Janeway
Killandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2012, 12:39 AM   #160
Killandra
Lieutenant Commander
 
Killandra's Avatar
 
Location: Virginia
View Killandra's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Killandra Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Killandra Send a message via Yahoo to Killandra
Re: Sign in the new petition for Bring Back Janeway, please!

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Whether you are a Janeway fan or not (I have made my feelings known), by posting here, the topic of a petition is automatically a discussion point, and the fact that we are still going shows that it is still valid.

Pro or anti posts are keeping it fresh and exposing it to new readers who otherwise might not see it. Some will sign up - it's all good for the campaign !

I concur, but hopefully we can continue to do so in a more civil manner.
__________________
"Listen to me very carefully because I'm only going to say this once. Coffee. Black."-Kathryn Janeway
Killandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2012, 02:22 AM   #161
Gypsyspirit
Cadet
 
Re: Sign in the new petition for Bring Back Janeway, please!

Killandra wrote: View Post

I concur, but hopefully we can continue to do so in a more civil manner.
*applauds
Gypsyspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2012, 11:39 AM   #162
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Sign in the new petition for Bring Back Janeway, please!

Killandra wrote: View Post
Once again in the short time I've been active here, I'm impressed with your candor and brilliance.
*bows*

Why thank you!
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2012, 07:09 AM   #163
Killandra
Lieutenant Commander
 
Killandra's Avatar
 
Location: Virginia
View Killandra's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Killandra Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Killandra Send a message via Yahoo to Killandra
Re: Sign in the new petition for Bring Back Janeway, please!

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Killandra wrote: View Post
Once again in the short time I've been active here, I'm impressed with your candor and brilliance.
*bows*

Why thank you!
You're very welcome. I look forward to our future discussions.
__________________
"Listen to me very carefully because I'm only going to say this once. Coffee. Black."-Kathryn Janeway
Killandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
before dishonor, bring back janeway, janeway, pocket books, save janeway, voyager books

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.