Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old January 5 2012, 04:10 AM   #91
BK613
Captain

Re: Ray's TAS shuttlecraft...

Nice to see you back at it...good job on the sketch.
Warped9 wrote: View Post
I lack access to 3D modelling,
Try Google Sketchup. Not the best for cranking out jaw-dropping scenery, but terrific for quickly knocking out your basic shapes.
Old January 5 2012, 05:19 AM   #92
Warped9
Admiral

BK613 wrote: View Post
Try Google Sketchup. Not the best for cranking out jaw-dropping scenery, but terrific for quickly knocking out your basic shapes.
There's also the matter of the learning curve and time involved. I'm thinking it could take quite some time before I'd be even crudely proficient with 3D.
Old January 5 2012, 05:51 AM   #93
BK613
Captain

There's also the matter of the learning curve and time involved. I'm thinking it could take quite some time before I'd be even crudely proficient with 3D.
The beauty of Sketchup is it's accessibility. It wasn't designed for full on 3D pros per se, but for peeps to build stuff for Google Earth.

Here, this is the link to the tutorial page. Spend a half hour or so watching some vids and seeing if it is something that could work for you.
Old January 7 2012, 04:30 AM   #94
Sarvek
Fleet Captain

Warped9, totally fantastic work. Completely outstanding. That is the best perspective of the Scout/Long Range Shuttle that I have ever seen. Keep up the great work.
Sarvek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2012, 05:30 AM   #95
Warped9
Admiral

The beauty of Sketchup is it's accessibility. It wasn't designed for full on 3D pros per se, but for peeps to build stuff for Google Earth.

Here, this is the link to the tutorial page. Spend a half hour or so watching some vids and seeing if it is something that could work for you.
I've downloaded Google Sketchup basic and I'll start playing with it when I can.
Old January 8 2012, 12:41 AM   #96
Warped9
Admiral

I've just begun toying with Google Sketchup, but I've a long way to go. I can draw freehand to my heart's content and render pretty much what I can already see in my head with decent faithfulness, but 3D modelling is something else. It takes time for the tools to become familiar and intuitive.

So far I've managed a rather crude and blocky representation of the scoutship, but with none of the nuance of a hand drawing. It'll take time. For one thing I can see mastering subtle curves and curved surfaces (particularly in more than one direction) will take some time to master. Even so it's rather nice to be able to rotate an object with ease and see it from different angles.
Old January 8 2012, 11:16 PM   #97
BK613
Captain

^ Cool. Really hope it helps you out.
Old January 9 2012, 12:10 AM   #98
Warped9
Admiral

Second attempt today and much better than the first. It's getting better, but still not near the point where I'm ready to post any of it yet.

Last edited by Warped9; January 9 2012 at 01:45 AM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2012, 12:35 AM   #99
BK613
Captain

Second attempt today and much better than the first. It's getting better, but still not near the point where I'm reading to post any of it yet.
Know how you feel. I am working on the ship* that appeared in my Dec challenge entry but it is not quite ready for its WIP thread.

If you haven't discovered it yet, there are more tools than what's on the default toolbars. Also, the Follow tool and Offset tool both deserve close scrutiny; very many cool things can be done with them. R-clicking on a selected entity brings up a context menu as well.

*(mostly painted in Photoshop)
Old January 9 2012, 04:09 AM   #100
Warped9
Admiral

Sketchup is proceeding slowly, but in the interim here's a quick take on the scoutship with some shadowing. It isn't 3D, but it does help to show off the overall shape and lines and I think does make the design look sleeker and more rakish, something that is lost a bit in the straight line drawings.

Old January 15 2012, 09:09 PM   #101
publiusr
Commodore

The shading makes it pop. Outstanding work. It has a classic look--like something from the 1980s blueprint era.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2012, 11:05 PM   #102
Warped9
Admiral

publiusr wrote: View Post
The shading makes it pop. Outstanding work. It has a classic look--like something from the 1980s blueprint era.
Thanks. That's essentially what I was going for.

Last edited by Warped9; January 16 2012 at 06:14 AM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2012, 04:39 AM   #103
Warped9
Admiral

And this was posted earlier upthread.

Old January 20 2012, 03:50 PM   #104
Patrickivan
Fleet Captain

Second attempt today and much better than the first. It's getting better, but still not near the point where I'm ready to post any of it yet.
You'll get it quick. I was somewhat slow. Check out one of my first ships if you have the time. You can see how I changed how it was built based on new skills learned- the difference between how I started the ship and how it ended was insanely different. I highly recommend the tutorials, message boards, and just playing around... Got lot's of good advice here too! There are still some things I'm struggling with. I'll be damned if I can get that tear drop shape under the bridge of the E right!

http://patrickivan.wordpress.com/200...eration-class/

40 Years and ticking. Damn, that's too old fashioned.
40 years and still processing!
Patrickivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2012, 07:32 PM   #105
Warped9
Admiral

Question:

In other programs I've seen some import 2D drawings to use as a basis from which to build their 3D models. Can the same be done in Google Sketchup? I've begun learning Sketchup and it's something I'd like to know.

Because of how it works (Sketchup) I find myself having to really think about how I need to construct the shapes I want. Not always easy.