New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 8 2012, 07:22 AM   #391
ProwlAlpha
Fleet Captain

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

I say Martin has nothing on Robert Jordan's endless, mind numbing, pointless chapters of useless information.
Old January 8 2012, 08:32 AM   #392
Caliburn24
Commodore

Is there any long running fantasy series that maintains the pace of its first two or three books?

I can't really think of one off-hand.

A Dance with Dragons felt almost identical to the later Jordan WoT books, in terms of pacing and overly flowery digressions and descriptions.

How can any series with over a dozen POV characters and hundreds of other characters be expected to move as lightly and freely as it did at the beginning?
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2012, 10:22 AM   #393
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Have an editor who knows when to break out the Valyrian steel.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2012, 10:49 PM   #394
JD
Admiral

Caliburn24 wrote: View Post
Is there any long running fantasy series that maintains the pace of its first two or three books?

A Dance with Dragons felt almost identical to the later Jordan WoT books, in terms of pacing and overly flowery digressions and descriptions.

How can any series with over a dozen POV characters and hundreds of other characters be expected to move as lightly and freely as it did at the beginning?
I haven't read any of the series yet myself, but the reviews for the Brandon Sanderson WoT books are much better than the last few Robert Jordan ones. So it looks like he might have managed to get the series back where it started quality wise.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2012, 03:15 AM   #395
Caliburn24
Commodore

Sanderson's WoT books are pretty good, I'm not sure if I would say they equal the earlier WoT books though. Certainly not in pacing. But we are invested in the characters and stuff is actually happening again. Huge world ending things.

And I am never going to see changing authors mid-series as optimal.
Old January 9 2012, 08:30 AM   #396
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Man, if "Eye of the World" is one of the 'good' books in that series... I dread to think of what comes later!
Old January 9 2012, 05:01 PM   #397
Shurik
Fleet Captain

Yoda wrote: View Post
Man, if "Eye of the World" is one of the 'good' books in that series... I dread to think of what comes later!
I've managed to finish Eye of the World, but it was a very difficult struggle. The second book was even more boring, so I abandoned it somewhere in the middle.
Old January 9 2012, 06:11 PM   #398
Caliburn24
Commodore

Eye of the World is rough in a lot of ways, and introduces way too many characters and settings too fast. I can understand not liking it.

But if you don't like the second book than yes, the series is not for you. Outside a few isolated moments in later books("Asha'man rolling ring of earth and fire!") I would say books 2, 3, 4, and maybe 5 are the consistently best part of the series.
Old January 9 2012, 06:51 PM   #399
Skywalker
Admiral

I enjoyed The Eye of the World quite a bit. Even though it started out as a fairly basic fantasy story (young man goes off on a quest to save the world after his rural home is destroyed), I really liked the world Jordan created. I remember liking The Great Hunt, too, but for some reason I stopped partway through The Dragon Reborn and never got back into it. That was nearly ten years ago, though, and I think the big reason was I'd gotten kind of disenchanted with the series because of what people were saying about the later books. Now that Sanderson is wrapping up the series, I might finally give WoT another chance.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2012, 04:18 PM   #400
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Here's the list of directors for the second season:

Episode 1: Alan Taylor
Episode 2: Alan Taylor
Episode 3: Alik Sakharov
Episode 4: David Petrarca
Episode 5: David Petrarca
Episode 6: David Nutter
Episode 7: David Nutter
Episode 8: Alan Taylor
Episode 9: Neil Marshall
Episode 10: Alan Taylor

Alan Taylor directed "Fire and Blood" and "Baelor" in the first season and he's been hired to direct Thor 2. Neil Marshall is the director of the films Dog Soldiers, The Descent, Doomsday and Centurion. This is the first time he's directed for television. His episode is "Blackwater".
Old January 10 2012, 06:54 PM   #401
JD
Admiral

Any idea of where the filming of Thor 2 will fall into this schedule? I honestly figured he'd be too busy to do any more AGT for a while.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2012, 08:11 PM   #402
CaptainWacky
Rear Admiral

All the episodes of season two have already been filmed.
Old January 10 2012, 08:14 PM   #403
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Here's the list of directors for the second season:

Episode 1: Alan Taylor
Episode 2: Alan Taylor
Episode 3: Alik Sakharov
Episode 4: David Petrarca
Episode 5: David Petrarca
Episode 6: David Nutter
Episode 7: David Nutter
Episode 8: Alan Taylor
Episode 9: Neil Marshall
Episode 10: Alan Taylor
Do we have episode names to go with that?
Really curious what these are.
On this show, bookwalkers usually can tell what's gonna happen from the title alone.

Neil Marshall is the director of the films Dog Soldiers, The Descent, Doomsday and Centurion. This is the first time he's directed for television. His episode is "Blackwater".
And he's getting the bic mac right away? The producers must have had a lot of faith in him.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2012, 09:21 PM   #404
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Ayelbourne wrote: View Post
Do we have episode names to go with that?
"Blackwater" is the only episode title that's been revealed so far. GRRM wrote the episode and announced the title.
Old January 11 2012, 05:47 PM   #405
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Caliburn24 wrote: View Post

I'd want to say Discworld, but since each book is a self-contained story (albeit with often quite strong continuity to earlier books) it doesn't seem fair to compare it to something like ASOIAF, which clearly has an overarching narrative.

This said:
Oh, that's simple.

By having several plots moving simultaneously.

This is sort of the point of having many POV characters, isn't it? The problem with ADWD is less having so many POV characters and often not simply knowing when to give them a chapter or not. Bran has two or three chapters that advance his story enormously, Tyrion has a dozen and almost all of them are just there to kill time (with the exception of him meeting Aegon Targaryen, I can't help but feel you could cut every single one of his chapters and pick up his story in the next book and the reader would be up to speed with him by the end of his first chapter). Victarion spends his chapters en route to a destination he still doesn't reach - he could have used one chapter, at most. Generally when a POV character doesn't have anything worthwhile to add, best to keep them out of the reader's eye, and so on.