Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old December 8 2011, 08:58 PM   #4006
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

He needs a midfield.
Old December 8 2011, 09:32 PM   #4007
Jax
Admiral

He got away with it for a while but its clear Smalling is no right back and Jones needs to play in CB department. He's paid the price for letting O'Shea to go since with the Da Silva twins out he is short at the back. I want to see Smalling & Jones playing together at CB with Vidic out because Rio is not good enough anymore. He needs to buy a left back as well because Evra is on a huge downwards slide as well but Rafel once fit is decent enough to hold the right back spot down. He still needs that central spark with Cleverley injured and also still a little too young to be in the team week in and out.
Old December 9 2011, 09:48 AM   #4008
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Yes, Jones doesn't have the discipline to playing holding midfield yet - that's been clear in a number of games I've seen this season so far. Rio has definitely lost it, and Vidic is probably out for the season so surely he needs to go centre-back shopping in the January sales. And someone good to go in midfield and dictate play more. But can he find any of what he really needs now there's no CL football to offer?

Another one I can't believe he kept getting away with was Valencia at right-back.
Old January 7 2012, 11:07 AM   #4009
Jax
Admiral

Oldham player was racial abused from Liverpool fans yesterday just another clear sign how weak that club is on this subject, Liverpool F.C should be fucking ashamed of themselves.
Old January 7 2012, 11:26 AM   #4010
Skywalker
Admiral

So I've been trying to decide on a Premier League team to follow, but I'm in the U.S., so I can't watch as many games as I'd like to, so I'm not completely familiar with all of the teams. Is it "okay" to root for two teams? Because three of my favorite U.S. national players play for Everton (Tim Howard, along with Landon Donovan who's currently on loan) and Fulham (Clint Dempsey). As far as I can tell those two teams don't have a rivalry with one another, and neither team is one that could be considered bandwagoning (i.e. Manchester United). And for the most part I've liked what I've seen of both teams.

I wanted to like Liverpool, too, because they're now owned by the same group that owns the Boston Red Sox (my favorite baseball team), but all the stuff that's been going on with them in regards to the racist behavior has really turned me off of them.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2012, 11:40 AM   #4011
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Liverpool isn't racist, that's nonsense; don't let that turn you off. There are assholes with every club. (although supporting them because of the ownership is a kind of weak reason too, imo)

Supporting two teams: In your own league I would tend to say it's not "ok", but in a foreign league without having cheered and suffered with a specific team for years, I don't see anything wrong with it.

I would say just watch matches you're interested in every other week and fondness for one club or another will grow naturally over time.
Old January 7 2012, 11:46 AM   #4012
Skywalker
Admiral

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
Liverpool isn't racist, that's nonsense; don't let that turn you off. There are assholes with every club. (although supporting them because of the ownership is a kind of weak reason too, imo)
Yeah, I agree. That was just when I'd first really started to pay attention to the Premier League, so I hadn't really been able to make an informed choice at the time.

That's why I like Everton/Fulham more, because they actually have players I know and like. Plus liking both Everton and Liverpool seems kind of counterproductive to me; I've read that their rivalry isn't as heated as others, but rooting for two teams that have any kind of rivalry with one another just seems wrong.
Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
I would say just watch matches you're interested in every other week and fondness for one club or another will grow naturally over time.
Yeah, I've been trying to catch matches when I can. I have Fox Soccer Channel, which carries EPL matches (along with Serie A and, of course, MLS), but I see Man U, Chelsea, and Arsenal on there far more often than I do Everton or Fulham.
Old January 7 2012, 11:59 AM   #4013
Roger Wilco
Admiral

I see, that's a problem. Don't get fixated on any "rules" though, you like who you like and if anyone's got a problem with that, fuck them.

There are decent internet live streams of almost any match though, pm me if you want a link.
Old January 7 2012, 12:16 PM   #4014
Jax
Admiral

Liverpool's stance on Suarez was nothing short of embrassing and I would love to hear Kenny's stance on rascim cause at the moment his leadership is weak as it can be.

As for looking for a PL team, well IMO "Tottenham Hostpur" aka Spurs play the best attacking football in the PL especially at home.
Old January 7 2012, 12:55 PM   #4015
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Hanukkah Solo wrote: View Post
So I've been trying to decide on a Premier League team to follow, but I'm in the U.S., so I can't watch as many games as I'd like to, so I'm not completely familiar with all of the teams. Is it "okay" to root for two teams? Because three of my favorite U.S. national players play for Everton (Tim Howard, along with Landon Donovan who's currently on loan) and Fulham (Clint Dempsey). As far as I can tell those two teams don't have a rivalry with one another, and neither team is one that could be considered bandwagoning (i.e. Manchester United). And for the most part I've liked what I've seen of both teams.
Nice reasoning. If you want the most fun though, follow one of those two (middle-to-lower-top half) teams and also have a team at the bottom e.g. Bolton, Blackburn (maybe not them this season...), Norwich, Swansea*. You'll never be bored with relegation drama!

*actually don't follow Swansea
Old January 9 2012, 02:25 PM   #4016
Starkers
Admiral

^

Or you could pick a cool championship club...Derby is owned by Americans (and some Canadians!)

I doubt Liverpool are a racist club, but this does show how easily things can spiral, and if the club itself are appearing to have a relaxed attitude to it what lead does that show the fans?

so Warnock's gone from QPR then? Slightly surprised (given they're above Wigan, Bolton and Blackburn) but I think it's just been a matter of time, clearly he wasn't seen as the right man to manage them in the Prem. And now Mark Hughes is tipped for the job? Well it's a good job he left small club Fulham because he wanted a bigger club to manage...

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2012, 09:24 AM   #4017
Skywalker
Admiral

So I just found out that Everton and Fulham will be playing against each other in the fourth round of the FA Cup. Damn it.

I missed Everton's match against Aston Villa (glad they were at least able to salvage a point out of that), but I did have the dubious pleasure of seeing Fulham get torched by Blackburn.
Old January 16 2012, 09:22 PM   #4018
Roger Wilco
Admiral

At least you know one of them makes it to the next round though.
Old January 17 2012, 08:51 PM   #4019
GoldsBawHair
Lieutenant

Anyone have any Scottish teams they like?
GoldsBawHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2012, 09:07 PM   #4020
amyerda
Ensign

Aye rangers there simply the best.
amyerda is offline   Reply With Quote