Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 6 2012, 10:14 PM   #1
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Once Nolan's trilogy ends..

I think few here will argue that Christopher Nolan's Batman films so far have been great. Easily the best film interpretation of the character ever made. It's highly unlikely that Warner will let a cash cow such as Batman disappear for too long, though. What is it you guys would like to see happen with the franchise after Nolan departs?

Personally, while I love the hyper-realistic take on Batman, in the next film after TDKR, I'd like to a see a more comic book Batman. I want a see a universe where Batman can face off with enemies like Clayface, Solomon Grundy, or Killer Crock. A universe where Batman could conceivable team up with Superman on occasion. Bring in Robin. Make him a teenager, not practically the same age as Bruce. The circus outfit isn't necessary. Something more along the lines of Tim Drake's Robin outfit, perhaps.

Obviously, care needs to be taken to prevent another "Batman and Robin," but it can certainly be done and done well.
Old January 6 2012, 10:21 PM   #2
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

Re: Once Nolan's trilogy ends..

Tone is the tough thing to crack with doing a more fantastical style of movie, otherwise it could become a Schumacher-fest.

I do agree though, I'd like to see a Batman that could field Clayface, the immortal Ra's, and some of other more fantastical parts of the Batman legend.

I'd like to see someone like Guillermo Del Toro handle it. I feel like he could do fantastical dark stuff without it seeming campy (see Pan's Labyrinth or Hellboy).
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2012, 10:25 PM   #3
davejames
Vice Admiral

Agreed, except for the Robin thing. The character might work in the comics and cartoons, but in live-action it just strains credibility that Batman would have some kid tagging along with him everywhere, fighting a bunch of huge, armed, and very dangerous criminals.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2012, 10:35 PM   #4
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

^How so? If it can work in other mediums, why not live action? It all depends on how it's written. They tried Robin before and it didn't work because Dick was already an adult. There was no room for a father/son dynamic. Using Robin is a chance for Bruce to dial back the neurosis a bit, and explore new elements of his character. If we're going for a more fantastical universe, then why can't Robin be used?
Old January 6 2012, 10:37 PM   #5
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

I have an idea: how about Robin being a cyber-companion, a personal Bat-assistant accessed via Bat-technology? Kind of like Selma from Time Trax.

R.O.B.I.N.: Remote Operated Bat Information Network
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2012, 10:41 PM   #6
Agenda
Fleet Captain

I think now would be the time to do a Batman and Superman flick.

If they can do an Avengers flick, why can't they do B/S?
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2012, 10:45 PM   #7
nvek86
Commander

I'd like something like a "Gotham Knights" film. Not only Batman and Robin, but also with Nightwing and Oracle (show their stories in flashbacks, although Oracle's would probably be changed), maybe even one of the new Batgirls. Yeah, it will never happen, but it would be quite different from the other films.
But they way film studios work, they will probably do something very close to Nolan's version, because that one made money.
Old January 6 2012, 10:51 PM   #8
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Personally, nothing will get me to pay for a non-Nolan Batman film in the future. Begins and TDK were those rare events where they did exactly what I always hoped for. Same reason I won't watch a new take on Lord of the Rings or Star Wars.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2012, 11:01 PM   #9
MacLeod
Admiral

Realesticaly you want to have some sort of gap between a new interpurtation of Batman. I would say at least 5-10 years. So maybe sometime around 2018.

It might be hard to top the Nolan Bat flicks, by allowing time to passs they fade somewhat from the general public consious and it allows anticpation to build for a new film.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2012, 11:29 PM   #10
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
They tried Robin before and it didn't work because Dick was already an adult. There was no room for a father/son dynamic.
I disagree. I think Robin largely worked because they reworked the relationship into a brotherly one (particularly in B&R). For all the faults of the Schumacher films, I don't feel their take on Robin was one of them.
Old January 6 2012, 11:36 PM   #11
davejames
Vice Admiral

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
^How so? If it can work in other mediums, why not live action? It all depends on how it's written. They tried Robin before and it didn't work because Dick was already an adult. There was no room for a father/son dynamic. Using Robin is a chance for Bruce to dial back the neurosis a bit, and explore new elements of his character. If we're going for a more fantastical universe, then why can't Robin be used?
Because even in the fantastical BTAS I had trouble buying that Bruce would ever put kids like Barbara or Tim Drake in constant, real danger like that.

No matter how well-trained they are, these are still some serious (and often supernaturally strong) bad guys they're going up against, and who knows what random, unexpected thing could happen in a fight.

And even in BTAS it often seemed like a stretch that these kids were as effective in battle as they were. I can only imagine how much MORE unlikely that would appear in live-action. Unless you first dumb these villains down to cartoonish levels to make it seem like a fair fight, and then you're right back to Schumacher territory.
Old January 6 2012, 11:49 PM   #12
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Personally, nothing will get me to pay for a non-Nolan Batman film in the future. Begins and TDK were those rare events where they did exactly what I always hoped for. Same reason I won't watch a new take on Lord of the Rings or Star Wars.
I kinda agree with you.. I never warmed up to Burton's modern/retro take on the Bataverse. I wanted something with a more realistic feeling to it. Nolan's vision has spoiled me.

For another take on Bats to work for me, it's going to have to be something futuristic like Batman Beyond or (even better) Miller's The Dark Knight Returns.

I will also agree with Brocoli that Chris O'Donnell's Robin wasn't what was wrong with Schumacher's movies... The way they worked his character in was just fine with me.
Old January 7 2012, 12:37 AM   #13
the G-man
Commodore

A hyper stylized Robert Rodriquez Batman film that combines elements of "Sin City" with tarantino's Crazy 88 sequence from kill Bill..with a twangy surf rock soundtrack. But no camp.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2012, 12:39 AM   #14
the G-man
Commodore

davejames wrote: View Post

No matter how well-trained they are, these are still some serious (and often supernaturally strong) bad guys they're going up against, and who knows what random, unexpected thing could happen in a fight.

And even in BTAS it often seemed like a stretch that these kids were as effective in battle as they were. I can only imagine how much MORE unlikely that would appear in live-action.
Two words: "hit." "girl."
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2012, 01:15 AM   #15
davejames
Vice Admiral

the G-man wrote: View Post
Two words: "hit." "girl."
Well yeah, but she had a sword and a bunch of guns.