RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,712
Members: 24,209
Currently online: 880
Newest member: Farside89

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old June 13 2011, 02:20 AM   #16
USS Fardell
Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Fardell Send a message via Yahoo to USS Fardell
Re: Non Trek Fic: Lawndale and Sandi Griffin's Genie

Chapter 4: Revealed Part 1

Cindy saw Sandi emerge from the door into the Cafeteria. ‘She must have used a lot of trial and error,’ she thought.

As Sandi leapt from table to table, Cindy jumped to the side and began to think of ways to get out of the Cafeteria before Sandi caught up to her. She had an idea, and rubbed the emerald. Jean appeared, with a book in her hand. She let go of it, letting it float in mid-air.

“You had to interrupt my reading, didn’t you?” she asked.

“You knew that it was me?” Cindy asked quickly. (Sandi was still moving closer.)

“As soon as you wished for that door,” Jean said.

‘I guess that makes sense.’ “Anyway, can you block Sandi whilst I think of what to do next?” Cindy asked.

“Sure,” Jean said. She turned around and telekinetically moved tables between herself and Sandi. Then a meter thick wall of what appeared to be jello appeared, with those tables embedded in it.

“A wall of Jello?” Cindy asked sceptically “She would get through that.”

“She would if it were pure jello, yes,” Jean said. “But it isn’t pure jello. It has honey, chocolate, mentos, other confections and ‘surprises’, including baking soda being near orange juice, that will slow her down.

“Cool,” Cindy said. Indeed she could see the various chocolates and other confections here and there in the wall.

“Yes. If nothing else, I will be going back to the library,” Jean said. She grabbed the copy of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and vanished.

Cindy started moving away. ‘As much as I would like to see her get even more messy as a result of her trying to get through, I want to put as much distance between us as possible,’ she thought.

Sandi saw Jean appear next to Cindy. As she moved closer she saw that Jean was talking to Cindy, then some tables moved so as to approximate a wall. ‘That like, won’t stop me, Jean!’ she thought as the wall of jello appeared.

After Jean disappeared, she jumped off a table into the wall of jello. Then some of Jean’s ‘surprises’ in the form of pieces of hot chocolate, sticky molasses, hydrogen bubbles and bubblegum activated.

“Oowww! Jean! Cindy! I will get through there and I will get the emerald back.” She then jumped off the ceiling towards a spot where a table stuck out of the wall of jello. She then grabbed the table and pushed against one of the poles next to the servery.

All that resulted in was further explosions, resulting from vinegar meeting baking soda, spraying a mixture of jello, vegetable oils and acetate salts all over Sandi. ‘This is ridiculous,’ she thought, before thinking about it further.

Cindy watched Sandi’s second attempt. ‘That has to be frustrating,’ she thought. She then turned around, and went through the door. She decided to go through the HSIE block. ‘Maybe if she gets through that wall and manages to follow me I will give it to someone else.’

Daria, Quinn, Stacy and Brittany arrived at the Language Arts faculty office.

Brittany opened the door. “She is not here,” she said. Indeed the students could see various notes, written in Mr O’Neill’s writing, floating around.

“I hope that the others have better luck,” Quinn said.

“I wouldn’t count on that. We have to check the computers, see if she has been here,” Daria said.

“You know best, I suppose,” Stacy said, as she went to one of the computers.

“I’ll look too,” Quinn said, as she joined her.

Anthony DeMartino was concerned about Kristen. Whatever it was that Sandi had used on her seemed to have a lingering effect, Kristen had been talking slightly slower than usual. He could tell that Jennifer had noticed it too. ‘I hope it is not permanent,’ he thought. Charles Ruttheimer didn’t seem to notice.

Jennifer moved the teacher to the side and said in a slightly quieter voice than usual; “I think we need to take Kristen to the nurse’s office, she seems ‘sluggish’ for the lack of a better term.”

“Yes, Jennifer, I have noticed it too. You will have to take her there. I have to stay here, ensure that the situation does not get any further out of control,” he said. ‘I don’t see any other staff out here,’ he thought.

“Great,” Jennifer murmured.

After some convincing Jennifer and Kristen headed towards the school nurse’s office.

“Where are they going Mr. D?” Charles asked.

“None of your concern, Mr. Ruttheimer!”

‘Of course not, girls never confide in me. Neither will the teachers!’ Charles thought.

“Too late, I know that Jeannie Jenner is a wish granting genie!” The principal said when the door to the basement server room slammed open.

“How?” Tiffany asked.

“I am not stupid, Ms. Blum-Deckler. A relatively simple application of Occam’s Razor, if you know what that means. There is also plenty of evidence from the video cameras,” Ms. Li said.

‘Of course I know what that means. I do learn some things at this school,’ Tiffany thought “The simplest explanation is the best.”

“Wow!” Jane said, with raised eyebrows. She turned her attention to Ms Li. “What plans do you have regarding that genie?” she asked. She was about to say ‘emerald’ but realised that Ms Li might not have deduced its existence yet.

“I am not going to say anything, Ms Lane,” the principal said.

“But you have to answer me, Angela!” Claire said.

“You, Ms. Defoe? You who won’t ask your college roommates to leave your apartment?” Ms Li asked, and laughed.

“Yes! What are you planning to do with the genie?” Ms. Defoe said.

Ms. Li remained silent.

“Look! Whilst we are arguing here, more crazy events are happening in the school. The more those crazy events happen, the more likely that the events are going to draw attention!” Jane said.

Ms. Li was then in thought.

Ms. Defoe caught onto Jane’s line of thought. “Whilst the media wouldn’t ordinarily run with ‘paranormal’ events. I am sure that they would in this case,” she said.

“I see what you are getting at,” Ms. Li said, in thought. ‘If I get that genie, It won’t matter that much,’ she thought.

“You don’t want that attention! It will change everything! The news may already be getting out. It will certainly be out once everyone gets home,” Jane said.

Ms. Li thought some more. “I still don’t have to tell you my plans!” she said.

“Yes you do!” Ms. Defoe said.

“Great, it’s a sta-and-off,” Tiffany said to Joey.

Joey had an idea. “See if you can distract them whilst I try to look at what information she has.”

“How?” Tiffany asked.

“Do whatever you do to distract Sandi. Ask them if you look fat or something,” Joey said.

“Do I look fat?”

“You don’t look fat,” Joey said, as he tried to approach the computers.

Tiffany gulped, and then went into distraction mode; “Ms. Li-i, does this zero gravity make me look fat?”

Kristen and Jennifer approached the administration building. “Do you think you are up to zero gravity?” Jennifer asked.

“Yes,” Kristen said.

“Let’s go, and do what I do,” Jennifer said.

“Ok,” Kristen said.

They both backed up and then ran and jumped into the building. They kicked the door open to allow them to pass.

After a number of attempts, Sandi managed to get through the jello wall. She knew that Cindy had left the cafeteria, but thought that she wouldn’t have had gone far. Sandi then jumped towards the door out of the cafeteria.

A minute afterwards, Sandi emerged from the Cafeteria and saw Cindy at an intersection of corridors. Cindy also saw her and jumped away, towards the History, Language Arts, etc classrooms.

Sandi quickly followed.

After about six minutes of searching, Stacy and Daria concluded that there was no information on the Language Arts Department computers about the principal’s activities. All they found were various class notes written by Mr. O’Neill and the other Language Arts teachers.

“She has to be in the Basement Server Room,” Daria said.

“I agree,” Stacy said.

“But there are around ten minutes until class time. We may not make it.” Quinn said.

“Quinn, we have to try!” Daria said.

“Of course we do. I’m just stating the fact,” Quinn said.

“Let’s go,” Brittany said, starting to go out of the door.

“Of course,” Daria said. They then left the Language Arts faculty office.

Jennifer and Kristen entered the school nurse’s office. They found that there were already many students there, the microgravity environment giving them motion sickness.

‘Wouldn’t it be more efficacious to go outside?’ Jennifer thought.

“Are you either of you feeling nauseous too?” the nurse asked.

“Not really?” Jennifer said.

“What is the complaint?” the nurse asked with a strained tone.

“Kristen is slurring her voice after being hit by some strange energy,” Jennifer said.

“Strange energy?” the nurse asked dubiously.

“It had an electrical component, OK!” Kristen said.

“Yes, I can see that you are slurring slightly. I will have to check your vitals. Come with me,” she said.

“You are dubious about ‘strange energy’ whilst floating where there should be gravity?” Jennifer asked.

“I am experiencing this zero gravity, whatever is really causing it. I also see that new floor. But I haven’t experienced whatever may have affected Ms. Leung-Bell. So you said that it had an electrical component?”

“Yes. It had a feel similar to that when one is hit by a static shock,” Kristen said.

“It looked purple,” Jennifer said.

“Unless you have something meaningful to contribute, Ms. Burns, I suggest remaining silent,” the nurse said, as she got out her equipment.

“OK,” Jennifer said, as the nurse began her examination.

In the Basement Server Room, Joey was perplexedly looking at the computer records whilst argument amongst the other people in the room continued.

“Need help?” Joey started. He turned to see Jane right next to him.

“Relax,” she said, whilst making a shushing motion.

“You’re helping?” he asked.

“I have been known to do some artistic coding in my time,” she said.

“Really? I heard that you don’t do well in Maths.”

Jane wondered how he knew. “How do you know that?” she asked.

“Quinn told me,” Joey said.

‘I guess she overheard me telling Daria about my C- average slipping one time,’ Jane thought, turning back to the computer. “Let’s do this,” she said, the sound of the art teacher arguing with the principal quite prominent in the background.

Daria’s group crashed into Cindy as they rounded a corner. The emerald slipped out of Cindy’s grasp.

“Oh, no! I’m so sorry!” Stacy exclaimed.

“Not your fault,” Cindy said.

Quinn noticed the emerald flying away. “The emerald!” she pointed out.

Daria also saw it. “Yes, get it!” she said, not trying to think of how this other girl managed to get her hands on it.

“Oops!” Cindy said.

Brittany grabbed Quinn, and pivoted on the corner of the walls, and so flung her off after the emerald.
“Get it!” she squeaked.

Quinn reached out for the emerald; “I wish we were all in the Basement Server Room right now!” she said, as her fingers briefly brushed the emerald.
There was a slight delay as the emerald figured out how to fit the incoming teens into the Basement Server Room, and all of them, Cindy included, disappeared from the corridor. However the emerald remained behind only shifted onto a different trajectory by Quinn’s brief touch...

The nurse completed her examination of Kristen. “You seem to be getting better. Your reflexes are as usual and your pupils are also normal,” she said.

“I don’t think so. I am still talking slowly!” Kristen said.

“Though that is improving,” Jennifer said, as more nauseous students entered the nurse’s office.

“Only a little bit,” Kristen said.

“True,” Jennifer said.

The nurse thought for few seconds. “Ok, you seem OK, but I will advise going to a doctor when school lets out, there may be some neurological issues affecting the speech center,” the nurse said.

“Or it could be psychosomatic! Jennifer, could you get Mrs. Manson?” Kristen objected.

“Honestly, I wouldn’t trust her,” Jennifer said. She checked her watch. “It’s about seven minutes until end of lunch, when this lack of gravity will cease to be an issue. We could wait.”

“I don’t want to miss too much class. You can try now,” Kristen said.

“Her office is just down the hall by one door,” the nurse said.

“I will get her then,” Jennifer said, she moved to go and saw that there were about twenty teens besides herself and Kristen in the room. Many of them were lying on the walls, floor and ceiling. ‘There are going to be some injuries unless they move closer to the floor,’ she thought. She looked at the nurse. “Could you tell those near the ceiling to move nearer to the floor? The fall could be nasty.”

“You are right!” the nurse said, as Jennifer made her way out of the office.
USS Fardell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2011, 05:21 AM   #17
USS Fardell
Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Fardell Send a message via Yahoo to USS Fardell

Chapter 4: Part 2

The two staff members were still arguing when Daria, Quinn, Cindy, Brittany and Stacy appeared in various places around the Server Room. Cindy appeared near Joey and Jane.

“What are you trying to do?” she asked them when she had recovered from the shock of the transition.

“We are trying to find the information Ms. Li has on the genie,” Jane said.

“Cool, let me have it. I am somewhat familiar with this OS,” Cindy said.

“OS?” Joey asked, confused.

“Operating System, the software that supports the basic functions upon which all the other software runs,” Cindy explained.

“Oh,” Joey said.

Jane slipped aside and watched her friend argue with the principal.

Meanwhile, Stacy and Brittany appeared next to Tiffany.

“Weren’t you elsewhe-ere?” Tiffany asked.

“Yes,” Stacy said.

Meanwhile, Daria and Quinn had appeared next to Ms. Defoe and Ms. Li.

The principal stopped her argument with the art teacher. “Ms. Morgendorffer! Give me that emerald!”

“Emerald?” Daria asked trying to be mysterious.

“Yes, Ms. Morgendorffer, the object that Ms. Griffin was using to ask the wishes!” Ms. Li said.

“I don't have it,” Daria said.

“Ms. Quinn Morgendorffer! Give me the emerald!” Ms. Li said without a beat. She knew that the younger sister tended to blab under pressure.

“Um, I don't have it either,” she admitted.

Daria looked at her sister.

“Dar-i-a! It slipped out of my fingers before we teleported!”

“That explains it,” Daria said.

“Great!” the principal exclaimed.

“Does anyone else have it now?” Ms. Defoe asked.

“There was no one else in the corridor when we were teleported, though someone could have been in one of the rooms,” Daria said.

“Where was this?” the Principal asked.

Daria said nothing, as she noticed Cindy getting into Ms. Li’s files.

Ms. Li turned her attention to Quinn.

“Near the history classrooms,” she said.

“Now we’re getting somewhere!” Ms Li said. She turned in the direction of the server and noticed Cindy there, and Jane and Joey watching her. “Ms. Brolsma! Move away from that keyboard!” She shouted.

Cindy entered a command without hesitation. She turned to the principal. “I have moved some of your files to an obscure directory,” she said.

The principal was livid. “It is just as well that you didn’t delete any of them, otherwise it would have been your enrolment that would have been deleted!”

“I knew that,” Cindy said.

“Right,” Daria said, wondering what was going to happen next.

“As it is, the punishment may be severe!” the principal said.

Cindy and Ms. Li continued to glare at each other.

Sandi saw Cindy crash into the others and the subsequent vanishing (including Quinn making the wish). She also saw that the emerald remained behind.

‘Take that, Cindy,’ she thought. She pushed herself off towards the emerald.

However someone else emerged from the corridor that Daria and the others had emerged from and got to the emerald before her!

“It is not ‘finders keepers’, Sandi!” Tania said as she started going down the corridor, away from Sandi.

“Like, come back here, Tania!” Sandi shouted. ‘Why is this happening, that I can’t get it back?’ she thought.

Jennifer entered Mrs. Manson’s office. “Mrs. Manson?”

“I’m here, Ms. Burns. Why are you here?” the school psychologist said.

“Another student has a problem, regarding this situation and she wants to talk to you about it. She is waiting in the nurse’s office.”

“What is this problem?”

“She can better explain it herself.”

The psychologist thought. “I will come,” she said.

“Good.”

“It is good that you finally graduated from the self esteem class isn’t it?”

Jennifer looked at the psychologist. “More like I finally grew tired of it!”

At Glen Oaks Lane, a patrolling squirrel came to Captain Jaywi’s outpost.

“You have something to report?” Captain Jaywi asked.

“Yes. The non-normative occurrences at the High School are getting more serious. There is a negation of gravity in the buildings.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, humans and objects are floating around inside.”

‘That is serious,’ Captain Jaywi thought. “Is there anything else to report?” He asked.

“Nothing else of consequence,” the other squirrel said.

“This needs to be reported to the Emporer,” Captain Jaywi said.

“I agree.”

“But I have to wait for another patroller to return before I can go to the Palace-Tree. You will have to stay also.”

“I will stay, sir.”

“Good!”

The squirrels began to wait.

Mrs. Manson and Jennifer entered the nurse’s office, which was full of nauseous students, more of whom had arrived whilst Jennifer was getting the psychologist. Jennifer looked at her watch. Four minutes remained in the lunch period. She and the psychologist pushed their way through the crowd.

“Cool,” Kristen said, when they reached her.

“What is the problem that you had to get me for?” Mrs. Manson asked.

“First of all I was given a strange electric-like shock from Sandi Griffin!” Kristen said.

“What else happened?” Mrs. Manson asked.

Kristen explained further.

“What do you think, Margaret?” the nurse asked when Kristen finished her explanation.

“I am not sure. Has she tried speaking faster?”
“Yes, I have! And don’t talk like I am not here. I hate that!” Kristen said.

“Then it may not be psychosomatic. It could be a problem with the speech center,” the psychologist said.

“Great! We have gone around in circles,” Jennifer said.

“But her voice is improving,” the nurse said.

“Not quickly enough,” Kristen murmured.

“What was that?” the nurse asked.

“Nothing,” Kristen said.

‘Clearly not nothing,’ Jennifer thought. “You want to call your parents?” she asked.

“Yes,” Kristen said. She moved for the phone.

However, the bell began to ring.

Sandi raced after Tania, jumping off the walls and ceiling to gain speed. However, Tania was doing the same and keeping ahead.
‘At least she hasn’t wished herself elsewhere in the school,’ she thought. She didn’t want to use the locate ability again without eating something first.

Tania slowed down as she saw Elias enter the corridor ahead of her. ‘Cool, he can have it. It is too tempting,’ she thought.

Sandi saw Elias in the corridor ahead of Tania. ‘Of course, she and Elias are like, in collusion,’ she thought.

The bell rang and gravity was restored to the interior of the school buildings as the effects of Jennifer’s wish vanished.

Tania landed on her feet and walked up to Elias. “Here’s the emerald. But how did you know that it would end up where it did?”

“I didn’t. It was a lucky guess,” Elias said.

“I guess so, but you better go. Sandi is behind me,” Tania said.

Elias looked and saw Sandi running up. “Yikes!” He wished himself to class.

Sandi came to a stop when she saw Elias disappear. “That, like, makes absolutely no sense whatsoever,” she said.

“What?”
“Why would you like, give it to Elias because he asked?”

“I would be tempted to use it to cause trouble similar to that which has already been caused. Now I am thankful that I didn’t get the opportunity.”

“Right.”

“Now, if nothing else, I would like to get to class. Assuming that it will still be held of course.”

‘Of course, it is likely that the chaos has caused the classes to be cancelled,’ Sandi thought before heading to the class she was scheduled to go to.

However, after Tania had gone out of sight, Sandi realised that she was still covered in dried mud and pieces of the ‘jello wall’. ‘I have to have a shower before I return to class,’ she thought. She then headed in the direction of a shower instead.

In the Basement Server room, Ms. Li was frantically looking for the files which Cindy had moved.
“Tell me the name of that directory!” Ms. Li said.

“Not if you don’t tell us what you wanted to use the genie for,” Cindy said. ‘Why is she not telling us?’ she asked herself.

The bell rang and the gravity resumed, everyone in the room fell to the floor.

“Yeah, right! You are in no position to make demands, Ms. Brolsma,” Ms. Li said as she stood up again.

“She wouldn’t have been fiddling with the files on that computer if you weren’t so secretive,” Claire said.

“I will tell you, Claire, but not the students!”

Daria nodded and the Fashionable Trio and Joey surrounded Ms. Li and grabbed her. Joey and Quinn were on one side and Tiffany and Stacy on the other.

“Let go of me!” the principal stated. ‘Those ungrateful students, mistreating their principal in this way!’

Reveal your plan,” Quinn said.

“Or we will start stretching,” Joey said.

“You wouldn’t do that! At least Ms. Rowe wouldn’t! She is still in trouble for deceiving me earlier!”

“Oh no!” Stacy said, as she took her hands off Ms. Li and started crying. ‘She’s going to expel me!’
“Just for that, I would do it,” Quinn said.

Ms. Li could see that the younger Morgendorffer meant it.

Jane took Stacy’s place. “Stacy might not do it, but I would.” She glanced at Tiffany, who tightened her grip.

Ms. Li glared at the young artist, but remained silent.

Daria stepped closer. “Tell us, what were you planning to wish for?” ‘Not much chance, is there?’

Ms. Li remained silent.
Old June 26 2011, 04:48 AM   #18
USS Fardell
Captain

Chapter 4: Part 3

“She isn’t going to say anything!” Brittany said.

Daria looked at the cheerleader. “Are you sure?” she asked. ‘She does look sure about it.’

“She looks like one of the bad guys in a war film whom are captured and won’t say anything, no matter what they try!” Brittany said.

‘That’s a disturbing concept,’ Daria thought as various images from the war films she had seen came into her mind. “OK. Here’s a deal. We will let you go and not try to tear you limb from limb if you give the following assurances.”

“And what are these assurances, Ms. Morgendorffer?”

“First: Stop trying to gain that emerald. You already have the school as a police state as it is. Second: Cindy gets off lightly for her tampering with the computer records. No expulsion or suspension. Put her on detention if you want to. Third: the same applies to Stacy. Fourth: we don’t mention what happened in this room to each other again.”

“And if I don’t give those assurances?” Ms. Li asked.

“We will try to tear you limb from limb,” Joey said.

“And I will go to the media about the purpose of this room. Once that happens, Anthony will tell the union,” Claire said.

“Fine! It’s probably not worth it due to the genie’s mischievousness anyway! But I will be keeping an eye on all of you!” she said.

Quinn, Tiffany, Jane and Joey let go.

Quinn went and comforted Stacy. “Are you ok?” Quinn asked.

“I’m better,” Stacy said.

“You need to go to class,” Claire said.

“If it’s still being held,” Jane said.

“I’m heading to my next class now. Though I am sure it will be disrupted somehow,” Claire said.

“I will go to class,” Jane said.

“So will I,” Daria said.

The students left the room. “It will take all next week to repair my office, and I have to locate the files that Ms. Brolsma misplaced!” Ms. Li complained. ‘I am going to be very busy!’ she thought.

“I think this is just the beginning. Who knows who has the emerald now,” Ms. Defoe said as she left the Server Room.

“I will find out, after I fix the mess that Ms. Brolsma made,” the principal said.

As the bell rang, and the gravity resumed, all of the students in the nurse’s office all collapsed upon each other.

“This is ridiculous,” Jennifer said.

“Now I can’t get to the phone!” Kristen said.

“We need to get everyone out,” Mrs. Manson said, as she pushed against the two sophomores and the nurse.

“I agree,” Kristen said. She then started climbing onto the group of people.

“Ouch!” Jennifer said as Kristen stepped on one of her hips.

“Sorry,” Kristen said. She managed to clamber onto the nurse’s desk. “This is going to take a while,” she said. She picked up the phone.

Sandi found a shower in the change rooms and began to wash herself and her clothes of all the muck that she had got on herself over lunch.

Elsewhere in the school, various classes started without many of the students who normally attended them. Some of the teachers weren’t present.

Throughout the school, confused students conferred with their friends about the events of the day.

Another patrolling squirrel arrived at the Glen Oaks post, bringing more news of unusual activity in Lawndale.

Captain Jaywi didn’t know what to make of it. “It may be linked to the genie, but then again, it may not,” he said.

“What are you going to do?” the other squirrel said.

“I am going to report it and another incident to the Emperor,” Captain Jaywi said. He filled the other squirrel in on the zero gravity at the school and then left him in charge of the outpost.

Both of Kristen’s parents arrived at the school twenty minutes after their daughter’s call. By then the nurse’s office was mostly empty.

“Kristen, how are you feeling?” her mother asked.

“Mostly fine, apart from this annoying vocal slowness,” Kristen said. ‘Thank goodness they are here!’

“That’s all she has been complaining about,” Jennifer said.

“Where’s Cindy?” Kristen’s mom asked.

“I suspect that she is in class, or hiding somewhere with that emerald,” Kristen said. ‘Either is possible,’ she thought.

“Yes. That is definitely something we need to find after we take you to the hospital,” her father said.

“You can look for it whilst I take her to the hospital,” his wife said.

Agent Leung looked at his wife. “Agreed,” he said.

“I will find Cindy,” Jennifer said.

“It would be better that you went to class,” Agent Bell said.

“I will tell Cindy, and Kelly,” Agent Leung said.

“If she is even at school today,” Kristen said.

Her parents looked at each other. They knew that their older daughter was a truant. “If she is here I will find her,” Agent Leung said.

“Let’s go,” Agent Bell said.

Kristen got up.

Sandi finished the shower and headed to class, after changing into a change of clothes she had in her locker.
“Zero gravity at the High School?” the Varmittan Emperor asked.

“Yes, your Majesty,” Captain Jaywi said.

“That is serious. We need to take drastic action!” the Emperor said.

“What sort of action?” Captain Jaywi asked.

“The humans cannot be trusted with the emerald! I will issue Order 303,” the Emperor said.

“Are you sure, Sire. It would be rather difficult to grab the emerald off a human, especially if they realise the full potential of it,” Captain Jaywi said.

“I will issue the order,” the Emperor said.

Captain Jaywi gulped. Order 303 stated that if any squirrel in Varmittan territory saw a human with a specific object, that they were to grab said object off the human... “Yes, Sire,” he said.

Agent Leung wandered the school, looking for the emerald and asking students about the Principal and the extra floor on the Science Block. He found Cindy in her Maths class.

“Mr. Leung, why are you here?” she asked.

“It has come to my attention that there is an emerald with unusual properties circulating around the school. Kristen mentioned that you had it last she knew.”

“I lost it,” Cindy said, and filled Agent Leung in on the events that happened in the Basement Server Room.

“Interesting, that confirms some of our suspicions about Ms. Li. I may also have to check that corridor.”

“I’m not in trouble for meddling with the Principal’s files?”

“I wouldn’t worry about it. If nothing else I now need to talk to the principal. I also have to tell you that Kristen has gone to the hospital.”

“Oh no! What happened?” Cindy exclaimed.

Agent Leung filled her in on what happened to Kristen.

“Oh. I will be at the hospital after school,” Cindy said.

“By the way, have you seen Kelly?” Agent Leung asked.

“I haven’t seen her all day, but all these events have been happening too,” Cindy said.

Agent Leung said his farewells and Cindy went back into the Maths class. He went towards the Basement Server Room.

(Both Elias and Sandi were in a different Maths class so the Agent didn’t talk to them...)

Lawndale Offices of Vitale, Davis, Horowitz, Rhiordan, Schrechter and Schrechter 3:15
Eric entered Helen’s office. “Helen, you are able to take the time off to talk to the other parents regarding that High School issue,” he said.

“Very good. When can I take the time off?” Helen said.

“Immediately, for the next hour and fifteen minutes,” Eric said. He left the office.

Helen turned to her secretary. “Marianne, hold any calls until I come back. It is likely I may be late. But I will be back at 4:50 at the latest,” she said.

“Yes, Helen,” Marianne said timidly.

Helen put some of her paperwork in her briefcase and left the office.

When Eric returned to his office he went to his phone and pressed the first speed dial option (The one marked with a large V). “Yes, sir, Mrs. Morgendorffer has left,” he said after the call was answered.

“Thankyou, sir,” he said and hung up, visibly sweating. Dealing with the Senior Partner was never easy.

The Senior Partner placed the phone back in its cradle. “Asshat!” he said.

He walked from the large desk over to the large window which looked out over Lawndale. He took a puff from his genuine Cuban cigar.
“So, Jean! We meet again!” Jim Vitale then smiled as he remembered his previous meeting with the genie...
Old December 25 2011, 12:34 AM   #19
USS Fardell
Captain

Chapter 5: This Afternoon’s Crazy! Part 1

When the final bell of the day sounded, Elias quickly left his Maths class, and ran out of the building.

“First of all, I will call home, tell Mom that I will be late,” he said. He ran across the road, not noticing that Sandi had followed him from the classroom...

‘There he is!’ Sandi thought as she watched Elias run across the street from the front door of the school. ‘You can’t, like, get away from me that easily.’ She then followed him across the street...

As she exited the school building, Quinn saw Sandi running after Elias down the street. ‘That’s not good,’ she thought. She knew that Elias had the emerald (having seen him with it when she got to class). She looked back, but Stacy, Tiffany, Daria, Jane or anyone else involved in the events earlier in the day were not around. “I guess it’s up to me,’ she said with a nervous laugh. She then followed after Sandi.

“Like, come back here, Elias!”

Elias turned to find Sandi close behind him! “Eep!” ‘How could she sneak up like that!’ he wondered.

“I’ll, like, get the emerald back.”

“Not if I wish you elsewhere in Lawndale!”

“Yeah Right!” Sandi then charged.

“I wish that Sandi would go to Main Street, right now!” Elias wished.

“No!” Sandi said, as she vanished with the wish granting sound.

“That was close,” Elias said.

He then stopped and looked back towards the school. He saw Dennis Monk, a well known troublemaker, coming up to him (but not Quinn, who was behind a tree at that moment). ‘I hope he didn’t see Sandi disappear!’

“Elias Howarth, where are you off to?” Dennis asked as he came up to Elias.

“To Main Street,” Elias responded.

“Can I come with you?” Dennis asked.

‘That is one way to watch him,’ Elias thought. “Sure, you can. Just don’t do anything silly,’ he said.

“Right...” Dennis said.

Quinn arrived at that moment. “Where are you going with Dennis, Elias?” she asked.

“We’re going to Main Street,” Elias said.

Quinn walked closer to Elias and whispered in his ear. “Make sure that he doesn’t get the emerald, Elias!”

That surprised Elias. He whispered in Quinn’s ear thus; “How did you know?”

“I saw Sandi disappear, duh!” Quinn replied.

“Oh,” Elias said, backing off. “Don’t worry, you can come along too.”

“Really?” Quinn asked. ‘Good idea, Elias, I can ensure that Dennis doesn’t discover the emerald,’ she thought.

“Yeah,” Elias said. They headed off...

Sandi appeared in Main Street, outside Drugs ‘n’ Stuff.
“Great! Now, like, I have to get back to Lawndale High before Elias can get somewhere I can’t find him!”
She started running in the direction of Lawndale High, hoping to intercept Elias. She definitely wanted the emerald back.

Agent Leung entered the Basement Server Room. “Principal Angela Li, are you in here?” he asked.

“How did you know that I was here?” the principal asked as she turned from the computer.

“A student said that you would be here,” the agent said.

“So much for Ms. Morgendorffer’s deal!”

“What sort of deal was this?”

The principal told the agent about the deal Daria had made with her.

“It’s a good deal, but I wouldn’t say that the deal is off because one of students told me of what went on here. The fourth part didn’t preclude the students telling others of the events.”

“Stupid ‘to each other’ clause!” the principal said.

“Now, tell me everything you know about the emerald and the events of the last two days,” Agent Leung said.

The Principal began to tell the Agent most of what she knew of the emerald.

Quinn saw that she, Elias and Dennis were going in the wrong direction – towards the eastern part of Lawndale. “Elias, I thought we’re going to Main Street?” she asked.

“We are going the long way, along Henderson Street, across the Creek on the Lawndale Bridge. Then along Adams Street, back across the Creek on the Jefferson Bridge, we then go along Fourth Street to Dega Street, then down to Main Street. Whereas Sandi would be taking the more direct route,” Elias said.

Quinn thought for a moment. “That is a great idea, Elias. She wouldn’t be able to find us,” she said.

“I hope so,” Elias said as he lead the way towards the Lawndale Creek.

“Thank you for that information, Ms. Li,” Agent Leung said when the principal had told her the information.

“What now?” Angela asked.

“Nothing, I don’t have a warrant to search your computer there. Now I have see Kristen in the hospital, good day!”

“She’s in the hospital!

“Yes. But the circumstances are unclear. It had nothing to do with the safety of the school buildings,” the agent said as he left.

Ms. Li was shaking in her boots. The situation was completely out of her control...

At the Settlement Restaurant, Helen met two of the parents she had called during the day. “Is this all?” she asked.

“Apparently, it is!” Elizabeth Rowe said.

“What is this about a genie?” Frances Blum-Deckler asked.

“We will wait for more to arrive before filling you in,” Helen said.

Agent Leung searched the corridor where Cindy had lost the emerald before leaving the school.

Cindy arrived at the Cedars of Lawndale hospital. “I am here to see Kristen Leung-Bell,” she said.

The nurse on duty gave her directions.

“Thank you,” Cindy said.

“Helen Morgendorffer?” Steve Taylor asked as he came up to the table.

“That is me,” Helen said.

“You’re Brittany’s father, aren’t you?” Elizabeth asked.

“I am, but my daughter isn’t the reason we’re here,” Steve said.

“Leave her out of this,” Frances said.

“As if your daughter isn’t much better as a role model for Anastasia!” Elizabeth said.

“Don’t criticise Tiffany!” Frances exclaimed.

Ladies!” Helen projected. Both Elizabeth and Frances stopped before they could tear into each other and turned to the Lawyer.

“Now, have just over an hour before I have to go back to work and I would like to have something constructive arranged in that time,” Helen said.

“Sorry,” Frances said.

Elizabeth huffed. “I guess so, I’m sorry. We shouldn’t really be fighting, what with that genie still on the loose,” she said.

“Who else have you invited?” Steve asked.

“Many more LHS parents, I hope they can all get along,” Helen said.

“Depends on which parents, I guess,” Frances said.

“Great!” Helen said.

The table was then silent.

Daria, Jane, Stacy, Joey, Jeffy and Tiffany met in the parking lot by Jeffy and Trent’s cars.

“So, you don’t know where Sandi and Quinn went?” Jane asked.

“No, but Cindy mentioned that she thinks that Sandi mentioned that Elias has the emerald,” Stacy said.

“Elias?” Daria asked.

“Elias Howarth, he lives out of town, in a village almost halfway between here and Oakwood,” Stacy said.

“So he could have gone home?” Jane asked.

“Maybeee,” Tiffany said.

“It’s a possibility. But even if he didn’t leave Lawndale he could be anywhere!” Stacy said.

“We should give it a try!” Jane said.

“Or just listen to the radio. If something unusual happens it may be reported,” Daria said.

“Aren’t you forgetting something?” Jeffy asked.

“What?” Daria asked.

“Where’s Jean?” Jeffy asked.

“That’s a good question,” Daria said.

“Jean was in class until Mr. Leung came in. She left whilst he was interviewing Cindy,” Stacy said.

“Mr. Leung?” Jane asked.

“Kristen’s father,” Stacy said.

“Kristen?” Daria asked.

“She is a Goth in our grade,” Stacy said.

“The way she dresses, sooooo wrooong,” Tiffany said.

Daria glared at Tiffany for a second before asking Stacy to continue.

“She is Cindy’s best friend. She also has black hair and has dyed her bangs red,” Stacy said.

“I have seen someone meeting that description around school and at the Zon,” Daria said.

“Right, what about Jean. Do we look for her too?” Jane asked.

“I guess so. She also could be anywhere,” Daria said.

“We could look for all of them,” Joey suggested.

“I agree,” Stacy said.

Daria looked around. She saw that most of the students had already left the school. There was no one to ask about what happened.

After a short time of discussion, it was agreed that Daria, Jane and Stacy would go in Trent’s car and Jeffy, Joey and Tiffany in Jeffy’s car. They also agreed to meet at the Morgendorffers at 5:00.

Helen saw Andrew Landon walk towards the group of parents.“Hi, Helen, what is this all about? You were rather hush-hush on the phone,” he said.

“Something not easily believable,” Helen said.

“You mean that there is something to those crazy rumours that Jodie was talking about?” Andrew asked.

“That probably wouldn’t be the half of it,” Helen said.

“I would have thought it crazy, if Liz here didn’t believe it herself,” Steve said.

“Steven Taylor! I have told you a million times! I prefer my full name!” Elizabeth shouted.

“Sorry!” Steve said.

Elizabeth turned to Andrew; “Anyhow, last night, Anastasia told me the whole story about what happened at the school yesterday. Suffice it to say that whatever Jodie told you was at least part of the truth,” she said.

“And we don’t know what may have happened today,” Helen said.

“There is one way to find out,” Andrew said as he sat down and took out his cell phone.

“You are going to call Jodie?”

“Yes,” Andrew said.

Quinn, Elias and Dennis approached the Lawndale Bridge.“What is your plan, Elias?” Quinn asked.

“What do you mean?” Elias asked.

“What are you using the emerald for?” she asked.

“Not really using it. Just keeping it out of the hands of evil,” Elias said.

“Hands of evil?” Quinn asked.

“Yeah, those who would use it for their own ends, and for the detriment of others,” Elias said.

“Detriment?” Quinn asked, not sure what the word meant (she knew what the rest of what he said meant though).

Elias sighed; “Causing of harm to others,” he said.

“Oh yeah, that would certainly be evil,” Quinn said, with a nervous laugh.

“Definitely,” Elias said. He then noticed a letter on the road and picked it up.

“What does it say?” Quinn asked, when he had picked it up.

“It says that someone is in trouble on the east side of the Creek, halfway down Adams Street,” Elias said.

“That’s weird, why leave a letter on the street, instead of going to the cops?” Quinn asked.

“That is a good point. I guess we would find out when we get there,” Elias said.

‘I hope so,’ Dennis thought.

“I guess so,” Quinn said.

Jodie parked her car outside the Settlement.

“Are you going to be long?” Mack asked.

“It probably going to be an hour or more,” Jodie said as she got out of the car.

“I will come in with you,” Mack said.

“OK,” Jodie said.

A few more parents had arrived at the restaurant after Andrew had called Jodie. There were a couple of squabbles occurring as Jodie and Mack walked up. Helen and Andrew were trying to referee while Elizabeth just sat there glaring at the combatants.

“Hi,” Jodie said.

Almost immediately the squabbles stopped.

“Thank God!” Helen said.

Jodie sat down next to her father. “You won’t be so thankful when you hear what happened at school today,” she said.

“Oh my!” Helen said when she noticed the look on Jodie’s face.

“A lot of stuff happened,” Jodie said with a Daria-like deadpan.

“You want me to tell them?” Mack asked.

“I will,” Jodie said.

“Go on,” Helen said.

“For starters, Sandi no longer has the emerald.”

“Then who has it?” Elizabeth asked harshly.

“I don’t know, Mrs. Rowe, but I did hear that someone named Elias Howarth may have it,” Jodie said.

“Continue!” Elizabeth said.

“Ok, go on,” Steve said.

“Right, it started before homeroom when Torii challenged Sandi for the emerald and Andrea defended her,” Jodie began.

Quinn, Elias and Dennis entered East Lawndale, and turned onto Adams Street.

“So, what does it say again?” Quinn asked.

“It says that they are halfway down Adams Street,” Elias said.

“Do you think someone will be there?” Quinn asked.

“I’m not sure. It could be a big hoax or something,” Elias said.

“Yeah,” Quinn said, with a laugh.

‘It could be,’ Dennis thought.

Daria, Jane and Stacy arrived at the Pizza King.
“Why are we here?” Stacy asked.

“We usually hang out here after school,” Jane said.

“The Pizza’s are delicious,” Daria said, with a hint of her usual Mona Lisa smile.

“And fattening!” Stacy said.

“You can have a cheeseless if you want,” Daria said.

“Good,” Stacy said, as she tried to relax.

“You can also ask the other patrons here whether they had seen Quin, Sandi or Elias after they had left school,” Daria said.

“Why me?” Stacy asked.

“You’re more social than us,” Jane said.

“Actually, I’m shy. I didn’t have any close friends until middle school,” Stacy said, close to tears.

“Ok. I’ll ask,” Jane said.

“I’ll order the Pizzas,” Daria said.

Stacy sat down at a vacant table and tried to make more sense of the previous 30 hours than she had already...

Agent Leung entered his daughter’s hospital room. His wife and a doctor came over to him. “I’m Dr. Phillips; we have done some tests, but we are still uncertain as to what the cause of your daughter’s condition is.”

“So she’s still talking slowly?” Agent Leung said.

“Yes, and she is quite self conscious about it,” Dr. Phillips said.

“I knew that she would be,” Agent Bell said. That was their younger daughter to a tee.

“Thank you, Doctor.” Agent Leung said. He went over to where Cindy was sitting by Kristen’s bedside.
“How are you holding up?” he asked.

“I’m fine,” Cindy said.

“As well as can be expected, I hope that this problem will go away on its own!” Kristen said trying to speak as quickly as possible (missing some phonemes).

“Of course you do, baby,” her mother said.

“Don’t call me that!” Kristen said, embarrassed (although she knew that Cindy knew of the nickname.

“But you are our baby,” her mother said.

Kristen sighed, with Cindy sighing in sympathy.

‘She is getting better,’ Agent Bell thought.

It was quiet in the restaurant when Jodie finished narrating the events that had occurred at Lawndale High.

“Oh, my!” Helen finally said.

“So Ms. Li now knows about the whole thing?” Frances asked. ‘Who knows what she could do with that knowledge!’

“Not only Ms. Li, but also all the teachers, and almost certainly all of the students,” Jodie said.

‘Not good at all,’ Helen thought.

“That’s not good! How could Anastasia be so reckless, distracting the principal with lies about vampires, indeed!” Elizabeth said.

“Maybe if you weren’t so hard on her!” Frances said.

“Not this again, Frances!” Elizabeth shot back.

“They’re just going to argue,” Steve whispered to Zara Hecuba.

“Quite true,” she whispered back.

Frances and Elizabeth continued their familiar argument.

“Ladies! This isn’t the time!” Helen said.

Elizabeth recovered. “Quite right,” she said.

“If you say so,” Frances said.

“What do we do now?” Zara said, quietly.

“What did you say?” Charlene Thompson asked.

“I was asking; what do we do now?” Zara said, with more volume.

“We need to find that emerald, or failing that, the genie,” Andrew said.

“How are we supposed to do that?” Steve asked.

Andrew got up and started walking around. “We need to keep an eye out for things out of the ordinary. If something unusual is happening, it may be that someone has made a wish,” he said.

“We wouldn’t know where to begin!” Penelope Jericho said, with despair.

“Don’t despair, Penelope. We will find the genie and bring the situation under control,” Imogen Harris said.

“But how?” Penelope asked.

“That’s what we need to figure out,” Helen said with impatience.

“I am not sure who has a cell phone besides you,” Mack said to Jodie as the parents continued to quietly mull over the situation.

“I know a few, but they weren’t involved in the situation,” Jodie said.

“Jodie.”

“Yes, Mrs. Blum-Deckler?”

“Tiffany has a cell phone, I can call her and you can talk to her.”

Jodie hesitated. Mack saw her hesitation. “Better than nothing,” he said.

“Call her,” Jodie said.
Old January 4 2012, 10:59 AM   #20
USS Fardell
Captain

Chapter 5: Part 2
Jeffy turned his car around a corner, going from Fourth Street into Marcil Boulevard. Tiffany’s phone rang.

“Hi, Mommy,” she said.

“Great! What does she want?” Joey asked.

“She is meeeeting other parents aaatt the Settle-ment Rest-uar-ant, about Jean,” Tiffany explained, she then put the phone back at her ear.

“I guess, that’s a good thing, right?” Jeffy said, as he went through the Marcil Boulevard - Main Street intersection.

“I guess so,” Joey said.

“She wants me to tell Jo-odie Laaandon about what weee are up to,” Tiffany said.

“Jodie is there, with the parents?” Joey asked.

Tiffany nodded.

“Um, it’s the Settlement, right?” Jeffy asked, as he pulled up short of Johnson Avenue, across the road from the Good Time Chinese Restaurant.

“Yeah,” Tiffany said.

“It’s just up the street from Chez Pierre,” Joey said.

“Ok, tell her that we are on our way,” Jeffy said.

“Thanks, Tiffany, honey. I’ll see you soon, bye.” Frances said.

“So, she is on her way here?” Jodie asked.

“Yes,” Frances said.

“I hope there will be room,” Mack said, as he saw another parent he recognised arrive.

“Right, you want me to search Lawndale when I leave here?” Elizabeth asked for clarification.

“Yes, until sunset, then you can do whatever you usually do on a Friday night,” Helen said.

Elizabeth glared at Helen. “You mean worry about Anastasia going on dates! In this case it will be worry about Anastasia looking for the emerald.”

“As if I don’t worry about Quinn going on dates!” Helen said.

“What about your other daughter?” Elizabeth asked.

“Daria doesn’t date,” Helen said

“Or she does, and she is doing it behind your back,” Penelope said.

“You don’t know Daria.”

“We are approaching the spot,” Elias said.

“I don’t see anyone,” Quinn said.

“Neither do I,” Elias said.

“Clearly it’s some kind of hoax!” Dennis said.

Elias looked at Dennis. He knew that Dennis had been involved with hoaxes of a similar nature.

They walked up to the site.
“Well, nobody is here. It’s a hoax,” Quinn said, nervously.

The three of them moved so that their backs were to each other.

“If there is someone trying to bait us, they have something coming,” Elias whispered to Quinn as he held the emerald.

Quinn nodded.

“What are you talking about?”Dennis asked.

“Nothing!” Quinn said.

Dennis grumbled. Clearly they were keeping something secret.

Sandi arrived back at Lawndale High. ‘I haven’t seen Elias. He must have gone a different direction!’ she thought.

She decided to go back to Main Street. ‘He will be there sooner or later.’

At the Pizza King; Jane, Daria and Stacy were eating their Pizza’s.

“Anyone see the genie, Elias or my sister?” Daria asked.

“Nobody, none of the Lawndale students saw Quinn, Sandi, Jean or Elias since they left class,” Jane said.

“They have to be somewhere!” Stacy said.

“Just not here,” Daria said.

“Tom!” Jane said, as her boyfriend came over to them.

“Hi, Jane, Daria, what’s happening?” Tom asked.

“Remember what I was telling you yesterday?” Jane asked, as Tom sat next to her.

“Yes, something about a genie, wasn’t it?”

“Yes. More stuff has happened today,” Jane said.

Tom looked at her in disbelief.

“A lot more stuff,” Daria said.

“Really?” Tom asked.

“Yes, Stacy. Tell him,” Jane said.

“Why me?”

“You have the photographic memory,” Daria said.

“Technically it’s eidetic,” Stacy said. She looked at Jane’s look of disbelief and said “I don’t know where I got that from.”

She then launched into her description of the day’s events.

Back on Adams Street, Quinn, Elias and Dennis had stood with their backs against each other for about five minutes.

“Nobody’s coming,” Quinn finally said.

“Yeah,” Dennis said.

“I guess we can continue, just keep an eye out,” Elias said.

“Let’s go,” Quinn said. They slowly started back on their way towards the Jefferson Bridge.

Jeffy parked as close as he could to The Settlement, nearly in front of Chez Pierre. “Let’s go,” he said.
Joey led him and Tiffany towards The Settlement.

The parents were still debating their plans when Joey, Jeffy and Tiffany entered the restaurant.
Tiffany went over to where her mother and Jodie were sitting. Joey and Jeffy followed.

“Hi, guys. What are you doing about the situation?” Mack asked.

“We are cruising Lawndale’s streets, looking for Quinn, Jean, Elias, Sandi or the emerald,” Joey said.

“Quinn? What has happened with Quinn?” Helen asked with concern.

“No-one has seen her since she left school,” Jeffy said.

“Nooor have they seeeen Sand-di.”

“You think that it has something to do with the genie?” Helen asked.

“Daria thinks that she may have gone after Elias Howarth, who was last seen with the emerald,” Jeffy said.

“Stacy is with her and her art friend,” Joey said.

“You mean Jane?” Helen asked.

“If that is her name, yes,” Jeffy said.

“Where is Anastasia?” Elizabeth asked.

“With Daria and Jane,” Helen said.

‘I don’t know why she insists on calling Stacy that. Mom only calls me Jefferson if I’m in trouble,’ Jeffy thought.

“So, she is being driven around Lawndale with two people I don’t know!” Elizabeth said.

“I can vouch that Daria won’t let anything bad happen to your daughter,” Helen said.

“But what about Jane?” Elizabeth said.

“Your daughter is safe!” Helen said.

“Stop!” Frances said.

Helen backed off from Elizabeth.

“OK. I can trust Daria,” Elizabeth said slightly subdued.

Helen could see that Elizabeth didn’t back down very often.

Andrew then spoke up “I have logged into my company’s Mainframe. I have set it to send me a text message if something unusual makes it into the news.”

Jodie glanced at her father’s laptop. “Very good, Dad,” she said.

Andrew smiled.

“So have you planned anything?” Jeffy asked.

“A few things, Most of the parents don’t get along,” Helen said.

“Good thing that you invited me instead of Michelle,” Andrew said.

Helen laughed a nervous laugh.

They continued their planning.

Jennifer arrived at Kristen’s hospital room. “I’m sorry I’m late, I had a few errands to run,” she said to Kristen.

“That’s fine,” Kristen said.

“Hey, you are almost normal,” Jennifer said.

“Thanks,” Kristen said.

“Jennifer, right?” Agent Leung asked.

“Yeah,” Jennifer said.

“Thank you for helping Kristen to the nurse’s office,” Agent Bell said.

“You’re welcome,” Jennifer said, with surprise

“I should have been there rather than leading Sandi away!” Cindy said.

“You couldn’t have known,” Kristen said.

“Thanks,” Cindy said with a smile.

“So, are you getting out any time soon?” Jennifer asked.

“They are going to keep me overnight for observation, in case there are any other issues,” Kristen said.

“Ok,” Jennifer said.

Elias, Quinn and Dennis got off the Jefferson Bridge and entered Lawndale’s main business/shopping area. They could see that it was 10 past 4 according to the Court House clock tower in the distance.

“Ok, it is likely that Sandi is somewhere here,” Quinn said.

“True, perhaps we should split up, that would make her wonder who really has it,” Elias suggested.

“Are you sure?” Quinn asked.

“Yes, you can go to the library and research the history books for instances of genie activity,” Elias said.

Quinn looked at Elias in horror. “That’s more Daria’s territory,” she said.

“But Daria is not here,” Elias said, trying to defeat Quinn’s charm. ‘She certainly knows how to use it.’ A metaphoric light bulb lit in Elias’s head. ‘That gives me an idea.’

“Yeah?” Quinn asked.

“Ok, you can go to the library and ask any cute boys there to do the research for you. I may take you to Chez Pierre later,” Elias said.

Quinn thought. “That’s a good idea, Elias. A bargain worthy of Daria,” she said with a nervous laugh.

She turned to go. She realised something. She asked Elias how she was to tell him what her helpers found.

Elias said that he would be by later, but said that he would be at the second hand bookstore.

Quinn then said goodbye and went towards the older public library in Third Street.

Soon, Elias and Dennis parted ways, when Elias told Dennis of the emerald. Dennis reacted as Elias had expected. He demanded the emerald for himself, and Elias wished himself to the Lawndale Second Hand Books store. He wasn’t to know what Dennis was planning...

Quinn arrived at the library. She quickly found her first victim, or rather, volunteer. “Hi, have you heard of the events at Lawndale High today?”

“I have heard of something that happened there yesterday,” the eighth grader said.

“Close enough. Would you like to look in the history books for any mention of genies?” Quinn asked, her charm at full intensity.

“Sure. What’s your name?”

“Quinn.”

The eighth grader went towards the 900 section of the Non-Fiction section.

Quinn smiled and began looking for another boy to ask.

Dennis had heard where Elias had wished himself to. He arrived at the Lawndale Second Hand Books store at 4:13.

He entered the store and quickly found Elias. “Give me that emerald, Elias Howarth!”

“No, Dennis!” Elias said.

Dennis reached, and grabbed the emerald. He quickly removed the necklace from around Elias’s neck, and then bolted from the store. Elias bolted after him.

Dennis ran out onto the street. “I wish that a tornado would form on Sloane Hill and move in this direction!”

“No!” Elias shouted.

The wish granting sound was heard. Dennis smiled a wicked smile and laughed manically as the ripples generated by the emerald emanated into the sky and towards Sloane Hill.

The cumulonimbus clouds that had formed from Tiffany’s wish at recess had hung over the town all day. With Dennis’s wish they grew denser and a funnel formed...

...We interrupt our usual programming to bring news of a tornado sighting to the southeast of Lawndale...”

At the Pizza King, Scarlett froze in the middle of a sentence. “What?” Tananda asked.

“Something has just happened,” Scarlett said.

“What something?” Stacy asked.

“I don’t know, but it’s something rather bad,” Scarlett said.

Daria rolled her eyes.

“You may scoff, Daria, but something has happened!” Tananda stated.

“Are you sure?” Daria asked. She may have been involved in strange events at school that day, but she was sceptical about anything else supernatural.

“I don’t know where to begin, but if Scarlett says that something bad is happening, I know that something is going on,” Tananda said vehemently.

“Um, guys,” Jane said nervously from where she stood near the window.

“What is it, Jane?” Daria asked as she got up.

“Look at that!” Jane said, pointing in the distance.
The group all ran over to the windows. Daria was the first to notice the funnel.

‘Uh oh!”

“Oh no!” Stacy said, and fainted. Tananda caught her as she fell.

“Yes, that’s the bad thing!” Scarlett said, with her eyes wide.

“There is nothing we can do against that!” Tananda said.

“And Quinn may be in the middle of it!” Daria said.

“I agree,” Tom said.

Jane turned to Tananda. “There is something we can do about it!” she said.

“You mean find the emerald and unwish it?” Tananda asked.

“Um, yeah,” Jane said.

“That is a long shot, Jane. We still don’t know where the emerald is. Nor do we know where, Jean, Quinn, Sandi or Elias are,” Daria said.

“Good point,” Jane said.

“Guys,” Scarlett said.

“Going in the direction of that tornado would not be a good idea,” Tananda said as she placed Stacy onto a pair of seats.

“That’s obvious,” Tom said.

“Guys!”Scarlett said, louder than before.

“Yeah?” Daria said, turning back.

“The tornado is coming in this direction!” Scarlett said.

“Uh oh!” Jane said.

“Right, we may need to go somewhere else!” Tananda suggested.

“My place?” Jane suggested.

“I guess so,” Daria said.

“Let’s go,” Tom said.

They quickly arranged to leave, with Scarlett and Tananda carrying Stacy to Trent’s car.

The Settlement
The parents were continuing to discuss their plans when a text message came to Andrew Landon’s cell phone.

Andrew looked at it.

WLND Report; Tornado sighted south east of Lawndale. It is moving in the direction of the centre of town.

“What is it, Dad?” Jodie asked, seeing the concern on her father’s face.

Andrew cleared his throat. “According to the news, there is a tornado coming!”

“Tornado!?” Helen stated. ‘Who would wish for something like that!?’

Almost immediately the parents began to run around in panic.

Jodie put her hand to her forehead. ‘That’s great! The adults are panicking!’

“Tornaaado?” Tiffany said, confused. Then she realised “Oooh nooo! Some one wiiishing for thaaat? Sooo wrong!”

“Oh, Anastasia, why didn’t I let you get a cell phone? Where are you? Where are you? Where are you?” Elizabeth said, as she ran about in panic.

Helen, however, was not so panicked. “Elizabeth, calm down!” She could see that her daughter’s friend’s mother was not listening, so she grabbed her shoulders and shook her slightly. “Elizabeth, get a hold of yourself!”

The shaking brought Elizabeth out of her panic. “Thanks, Helen. I needed that, but I don’t know where Anastasia is!”

“I’m sure Daria has the sense to stay away from the Tornado,” Helen said.

“I hope so,” Elizabeth said. “I mean, I all know about Daria is that Quinn thinks she’s weird, which could mean anything.”

“Yes,” Helen said, sighing.

Morgendorffer Consulting
Jake Morgendorffer was bored, he had finished his latest proposal for one of his clients an hour before, and was playing two deck Solitaire.

Then the news about the tornado came onto the radio. “Gaaggghh, Tornado! Here? But Lawndale is nowhere near Tornado Alley!”

He ran to the window and looked out. He saw the funnel in the distance.

He then went to the phone and dialled his wife’s cell number.

Cedars of Lawndale
“That’s not good,” Jennifer said when she heard the radio.
Immediately, both Agent’s beepers beeped. Agent Bell turned to her daughter. “I’m afraid I have to go, honey,” she said.

“I understand,” Kristen said.

“We’ll be back as soon as we can,” Agent Leung said. Both kissed their daughter on the cheek before waving and heading out.

“I’m not sure what they can do about the tornado,” Kristen murmured.

“You want me to call your brother?” Jennifer asked.

“Sure,” Kristen said.

Cindy moved closer as Jennifer left to find a payphone. “I hope it isn’t anywhere near the hospital,” she said.

“The radio said, the south east, so I guess not,” Kristen said.

“Yeah,” Cindy said.

Varmittan Palace-Tree
“Tornado?” the Emporer asked.

“Yes, Sire, a tornado. It is approaching the centre of Lawndale from the south-east.”

The Emperor rose from his throne and walked to the edge of the Palace-Tree’s mid-canopy viewing deck. From that vantage-point he could see the supercell in the distance, although not the tornado itself. “I hope that this is unrelated to the genie issue,” he said.

“The likelihood of that would be low, Sire.”

“I’m aware of that!”

Jean was at the Griffin residence having an afternoon snack. She noticed the emerald granting Dennis’s wish in her absence. ‘That’s not good, Dennis Monk!’ she thought. She decided to remain where she was for the time being though.

She went upstairs to the guest room, where she had slept the night before, and looked to the east. Over the roof of one of the neighbouring houses (she noticed the 513 on the mailbox), she saw the funnel. ‘Cannot be more than an F1,’ she thought, thankful that Dennis didn’t specify intensity. She then saw Linda pull into the driveway. Something seemed to be happening.

Jean came down the stairs as Linda opened the door. “Jean, do you know if Sandi is here? There is a report about a tornado.”

“I don’t know where she is. She could be anywhere in Lawndale. But what about Sam and Chris?”

“They are at friend’s houses for the afternoon, in areas of Lawndale away from where the tornado appears to be going. I have to look for Sandi,” Linda said with slight concern for her daughter.

“That would be a good idea,” Jean said.

Linda just stared at Jean briefly before going upstairs. She soon came down and left in a rush. ‘I guess that I have the house to myself,’ she thought.
Old January 5 2012, 01:04 AM   #21
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

I'm always a bit surprised when I see this sort of thing posted in a Star Trek fanfiction forum.

The level of response the story has received makes me wonder if there aren't more suitable/appropriate venues on the internet for such things?

You seem to be flogging a dead horse a little posting such stories in a forum set up to host Star Trek fanfic.
Old January 6 2012, 07:28 AM   #22
USS Fardell
Captain

Santaval wrote: View Post
I'm always a bit surprised when I see this sort of thing posted in a Star Trek fanfiction forum.

The level of response the story has received makes me wonder if there aren't more suitable/appropriate venues on the internet for such things?

You seem to be flogging a dead horse a little posting such stories in a forum set up to host Star Trek fanfic.
There are more suitable places, but I like posting most of my stuff at all the places that I post stuff. (Also Moderators have said in the past that Non-Trek fanfics are ok so long as more than half of the fics on the first page are still Trek.)

As far as flogging a dead horse goes, there are well over 2000 views, an average of 100 per installment. If they didn't like it, they would stop reading. If I wanted comments I would ask.

---
And now I'm asking you, aren't you going to critique it?
Old January 6 2012, 12:38 PM   #23
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

USS Fardell wrote: View Post
There are more suitable places, but I like posting most of my stuff at all the places that I post stuff. (Also Moderators have said in the past that Non-Trek fanfics are ok so long as more than half of the fics on the first page are still Trek.)
I didn't say that posting such things wasn't allowed, just voicing my opinion that it seems a bit futile posting this sort of original fiction in a forum dedicated to Star Trek fanfic.

As far as flogging a dead horse goes, there are well over 2000 views, an average of 100 per installment. If they didn't like it, they would stop reading.
Although just clicking on the thread increases the view count. I wouldn't equate the number of views on a thread with the number of people reading the story itself to be honest. People who enjoy a story will generally leave a comment. I always feel that it must be quite disheartening to be the only person posting in a thread such as this.

But whatever works for you.

And now I'm asking you, aren't you going to critique it?
Nah. Not really interested in non-Trek fics to be honest.
Old January 6 2012, 01:25 PM   #24
USS Fardell
Captain

I didn't say that posting such things wasn't allowed, just voicing my opinion that it seems a bit futile posting this sort of original fiction in a forum dedicated to Star Trek fanfic.
It's not original fiction. It's a Daria fanfic. (I don't think it's futile)

As far as flogging a dead horse goes, there are well over 2000 views, an average of 100 per installment. If they didn't like it, they would stop reading.
Although just clicking on the thread increases the view count. I wouldn't equate the number of views on a thread with the number of people reading the story itself to be honest. People who enjoy a story will generally leave a comment. I always feel that it must be quite disheartening to be the only person posting in a thread such as this.

But whatever works for you.
It does.
Old January 6 2012, 08:18 PM   #25
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

It's not original fiction. It's a Daria fanfic. (I don't think it's futile)
A children's cartoon? Oh well, to each their own.

Although surely there are Daria fanfic places where such things would be better received and enjoyed by people share that interest.

Much like a piece of Star Trek fanfic probably wouldn't generate much interest on a Daria fanfic site.

It does.
Good good.
Old January 23 2012, 11:07 AM   #26
USS Fardell
Captain

Sandoval wrote: View Post
A children's cartoon? Oh well, to each their own.
Not a child's cartoon. Remember that it was spun off from Beavis and Butt-head, which was definitely not for children.

MTV also aired it way past most kids' bedtimes...

Chapter 5: Part 3

In the library, Quinn was leafing through an old issue of Waif when one of her ‘helpers’ came up to her.

“Have you found something?” she asked.

The boy shook his head. “No, Quinn, there is a tornado outside of town...” he began.

Quinn interrupted him. “A tornado! Not even Sandi would do that! I have to go,” she said, and dashed out of the library.

Sandi was walking up Main Street when she saw pictures of the tornado on the screens of televisions on sale in a window of one of the stores. What caught her attention were the words; Tornado near Lawndale: Live on the screen beneath the funnel.

“That’s not good!” she said. She knew that Elias wouldn’t make such a wish, so she began thinking of others who would as she started running down the street.

Hecuba Residence
Andrea’s usual afternoon show was interrupted by the news break. ‘Of course, someone would be stupid enough to wish for a natural disaster,’ she thought. She soon left the house and headed down town.

Top floor of the Lawndale offices of Vitale, Davis, Horowitz, Rhiordan, Schrechter and Schrechter
Jim Vitale looked at the tornado funnel as it reached the outskirts of the town. ‘Whoever you are, Asshat, you are going to regret this!’ he thought.

Taylor Mansion
Brittany rolled off the bed, into the pile of clothes, as she heard the radio.

“Babe? What’s wrong?” Kevin asked.

Brittany glared at her boyfriend as she started re-dressing from the top down. “Didn’t you hear the radio!” she squeaked.

“What about it, Babe?” Kevin asked, pondering, as he sat up.

“A tornado!” Brittany said as she continued dressing.

“A tornado?” Kevin asked.

“You, know,” Brittany said. She paused as she reached for her nightgown, which was rather easier than the cheerleader’s uniform to put on. “’A scary storm that kills’?” she continued.

“Oh! So what, Babe?” Kevin asked.

“So what?” she threw his underwear at him. “So what!” She threw some of his football uniform at him. “It is approaching downtown Lawndale!” she said, squeaking higher than usual.“That’s what!” she threw more of the football uniform at him.

“Oh! But that’s no reason to stop, Babe.”

“Ooohh!” Brittany grabbed her hair bands and stalked out of the room.

“Babe?”

The Settlement
Helen answered the phone.

Helen! Have you heard the news?” Jake asked.

“Yes, Jake, the tornado,” Helen said.

Do you know where the girls are?” Jake asked.

“No,” Helen admitted, not sure what else to say.

Gaaggghh! I have to look for them!

“Remember what happened in the hurricane, Jake!”

I told you, Trent distracted me!

“Not the way he told it,” Helen said.

They continued their discussion, thus Helen wasn’t able to stop Jake leaving work to look for Daria and Quinn.

The other parents continued worrying whilst Jodie, Mack, Joey, Jeffy and Tiffany were planning their next move.

The tornado continued moving towards the main part of the town, ripping the roofs off parts of several houses, but mostly knocking power cables down, causing a series of power outages.

Elias chased after Dennis back and forth along the main street.

Howard Drive
Daria drove Trent’s car towards Casa Lane. In the car with her were Scarlett in the passenger seat and Tananda, Stacy and Samara in the back seat. Jane and Tom were following in his car.

Samara had just finished telling the group her role in the events at lunch time.

“Interesting,” Daria said as she saw Casa Lane as the car went around a slight curve in the road.

“So, you think that Elias would’ve lost the emerald?” Tananda asked.

“Absolutely, I know he wouldn’t wish for a tornado,” Samara said.

Daria parked the Plymouth behind the Tank in the Lane’s driveway. ‘Maybe the band is here,’ she thought.

Tom parked his rust bucket behind the Plymouth.

The seven teens exited the cars and went inside. They could hear Mystik Spiral practicing in the basement.

‘Interesting music,’ Samara thought.

Meanwhile at one of the Residence Halls at Lawndale State University, Jeremy Stanton was listening to the radio and heard about the tornado.
‘There is something very familiar about this,’ he thought. He put aside his Biology notes and looked in his closet for his journal from when he was in 10th grade.

When he found it, he brought it over to the work desk and opened it.

He re-read about the Smithton genie incident that he had been involved in. “It may be possible that a genie has been found in Lawndale, and that events have started the same as back in '93!” !” he said to himself. 'I need to investigate what is happening' he thought. He closed the Biology texts he had been reading, and grabbed his room key, and then went to leave his room to go to the bus stop.

In Main Street, Dennis and Elias struggled for the emerald as the tornado bore down upon them, tearing signs off buildings.
The tornado was approaching the fighting duo.

“This is bad!” Elias grunted as the two of them were buffeted by increasingly stronger winds. Debris was swirling around them.
They struggled, Elias grabbed the emerald. “I wish that Dennis will be at home, that the tornado will completely disappear and that all the major damage would be repaired!”

The last word repeated around them as the emerald granted the wish.

The tornado disappeared, air moved such that the low pressure area in the middle of where the tornado had been was now normal pressure. The supercel vanished also, creating a break in the clouds through which the sun shone on part of the town.
Damage in Main Street and elsewhere in Lawndale was repaired, power cables were re-erected, restoring power in those areas affected by outages. The parts of roofs that were ripped off were restored.

Dennis vanished from Main Street at the same time as the tornado, leaving Elias holding the emerald in the middle of the debris strewn street.
He breathed a sigh of relief before wishing the debris off the road. He then went back into the bookshop, which he was still rather close to.

Casa Lane
Jane switched on the television in her rather crowded bedroom (as the TV in the living room still didn’t work). The local station was now showing Main Street with the Headline Lawndale Tornado Crisis Averted.

“So it’s gone now?” Tananda asked.

“It seems that way,” Daria said.

“It may be that whoever wished for the tornado got the emerald taken off them,” Scarlett said.

Everyone agreed with her.

“So, what happens now?” Tom asked.

“We could go back to the Pizza Place,” Daria said.

“I don’t think there would be much point to that,” Stacy said.

“Why not?” Samara asked.

“It would still be deserted, after the tornado,” Stacy said.

“That’s a good point,” Samara said.

“As much as I loathe to admit it, we may need to go to the Mall,” Daria said.

“Where else could we go?” Jane asked, with a sarcastic edge.

They hadn’t noticed that Mystik Spiral had stopped playing, and thus were surprised when Trent came into the room.

“Hey, Janie, how did things turn out... whoa, who are all these people?”

“Hi, Trent,” Daria said.

“Hi, Trent,” Tom said.

“I’m Stacy.”

“Stacy, He’s not your type,” Daria said.

“She’s Quinn’s friend,” Jane said.

Trent looked at Stacy “Oh, yes, Daria’s sister’s friend.”

Scarlett went up to Trent. “Is Jesse Moreno here? The way he plays in Mystik Spiral is cool!”

“He’s in the kitchen,” Trent said.

Tananda put her hand to her forehead “Scarlett, we don’t have time for your fan-girling!” she said.

Scarlett didn’t hear her. She squee-ed and left the room.

Trent turned back to his sister. “So, how did the genie thing go today?”

“A lot of stuff happened,” Jane said.

“You just missed a tornado,” Daria said.

“Someone wished for a tornado?” Trent asked, confused.

“But apparently someone else wished it gone,” Daria said.

“What else happened?” Trent asked.

The teens remaining in the artist’s room began to fill Trent in on the events at school.

Downstairs Scarlett saw Jesse with his other band mates, Max Tyler and Nick Campbell eating take away from Cluster Burger.

“Hi, Jesse, I’m your biggest fan!” Scarlett said as she approached the group.

“Cool.” Jesse said.

“But, he is not as criminale as I am,” Max said.

“You’re not criminale at all,” Nick said.

“I am so!” Max said.

“I remember what happened in Fremont, you were chicken when that Sheriff arrested us!” Nick said.

“When did this happen?” Scarlett asked.

“Late last year,” Nick said.

“I’ve only seen you at the Zon,” Scarlett said.

“What’s with the weird stuff happening in Lawndale this week anyway?” Max said, trying to change the topic.

Quinn arrived at Lawndale Second-hand Bookstore. Elias saw her enter. “Don’t worry, Quinn, the emerald is safe. I have it back,” he said.

“Not worry? There was a tornado!” Quinn said.

“Dennis is at his house now. I doubt that he would come back here,” Elias said.

“There are still many others in Lawndale who could do such stuff, and Sandi is still on the warpath.”

“I guess so. I will wish for a pair of walkie talkies so we can keep in touch if something happens, and even if it doesn’t.”

Quinn was then in thought.”I suppose so,” she said.

Elias wished for the walkie talkies and gave one of them to Quinn.

“I suppose this will do,” Quinn said, she wasn’t sure about going back to the library, with what had just happened.

“Are you ok?” Elias asked.

“If Sandi comes, tell me, Ok?” Quinn asked.

“Sure, Quinn,” Elias said.

“Cool,” Quinn said as she headed out of the bookstore and back towards the library.

Dennis appeared outside his house, scaring Robyn, his younger sister.

“Dennis! How did you appear like that!” she asked, with fear in her voice.

“There’s a genie in Lawndale,” Andrea Hecuba said from the footpath in front of the Monk’s property.

“Of course you would know,” Dennis said.

“Give me that emerald. Someone like you doesn’t deserve it!” Andrea said.

“A-Andrea! I don’t have it. Elias Howarth has it, he wished me here!”

“Really? Where is he then?”

“He’s in Main Street, at the Lawndale Second-hand Bookstore,” Dennis said.

“Right,” Andrea said as she dashed off.

Dennis then went to the footpath and waited until Andrea was in the distance before following her.

“Dennis! Wait!” Robyn called as she followed her brother in turn...

At 4:33, Sandi ran into Elias outside Lawndale Second Hand Books. “Elias. I, like, wound not have wished for a tornado! Give me the emerald back!”

“It was Dennis Monks!” Elias said. He ran into the store.

Sandi followed him, only to find that he had wished himself elsewhere. “Damn!”

Elias appeared in the Borders bookshop in Cranberry Commons, scaring the wits out of his friend Louisa Moore. “You have the emerald?” she finally asked.

“Yes,” he said.

“Why are you teleporting around in a suspicious manner?”

“Sandi was chasing me, and after that tornado, I wasn’t going to take any more risks.”

“Good point,” Louisa said.

“Yeah,” Elias said, prior to contacting Quinn about what had just happened.

The Settlement
They were still worrying about the tornado, when one of the waiters came over.

“What do you mean, the tornado’s gone?” Helen asked.

“That is what they said. The tornado just vanished,” the waiter said.

Helen thought. “Sounds like someone just wished it away,” she said.

“I concur,” Andrew said, after reading the message on his phone.

“Thank goodness,” Elizabeth said.

“But there would be damage,” Steve said.

“Possibly minimal,” Zara said.

Helen looked at the clock on the wall. “4:40! I’m sorry, I have to get back to work!” she said.

“If it hasn’t been affected by the tornado!” Elizabeth said. Her expression seemed to say ‘Where do you think you’re going?’

“Oh, believe me, the firm will be running regardless of natural disasters,” she said.

Elizabeth moved aside and Helen began to leave the restaurant. “I’ll call you later tonight,” Elizabeth said.

Helen nodded and ran outside, confident that most of the parents would act as discussed...

“Um, Joey? I think we also should be going, if we are to get to the Morgendorffers by 5:00,” Jeffy said after Helen had ran out.

“We are?” Tiffany asked, quietly.

“I think so,” Joey said.

“We are going to talk to Daria about what we have found,” Jeffy said.

“But we haven’t found aaany thi-ing,” Tiffany said.

“We are going to tell Daria about what the parents discussed,” Jeffy said

“Okaay.”

“Let’s go,” Joey said.

“Mommy, I will be at Quinn’s house.”

“That’s OK, Tiffany. I will be there about 7:30,” Frances said.

“Cool,” Tiffany said. She gave her Mom a hug and then followed Joey and Jeffy.

Cedars of Lawndale
Jennifer returned to Kristen’s room. “It took a while to get him, but he’s coming,” she said.

“Cool,” Kristen said.

“By the way, it appeared that someone wished the tornado away,” Cindy said.

“How do you know?” Jennifer asked with a raised eyebrow.

“The way they described it. A tornado doesn’t disappear like that,” Cindy said.

“They also said that the major damage was repaired,” Kristen said.

“That’s good,” Jennifer said as she sat down next to Cindy.

Casa Lane
Trent took in what the teens had told him about their day at Lawndale High. “Hmm, everyone in Lawndale is going to know that strange stuff happened by tomorrow night, if not sooner,” he said.

“That’s obvious. But I don’t know what we can do about it,” Daria said.

“Other than keep looking for the emerald,” Jane said.

“Obviously,” Daria said.

Stacy looked at her watch. “4:45, we have to meet Tiffany, Joey and Jeffy at your house, Daria,” she said.

“Not till five, we have a few more minutes,” Daria said.

“Daria, it’s going to take a more than a few minutes to get a group this large, which now includes Mystik Spiral, to move,” Jane said.

“Good point,” Daria said. “Right, let’s go now,” she said, getting up off the bed.

Downstairs, Scarlett was tired of the bickering between Max and Nick. She had also tried to talk to Jesse but he seemed to be focussed on his band mates. She was looking through the Lane’s cupboards trying to find some food when she heard soft whispering near her ear. “Roger!” she leaned further into the cupboard. She turned looked back. The band mates didn’t appear to have heard the mouse talk. “What is it?” she asked.

“The genie, do you think it is dangerous?” Roger the Mouse asked.

“No more dangerous than anything that we have already encountered,” Scarlett said.

“Oh great!” Roger said, clearly remembering what he and Scarlett had experienced over the past year and four months.

“Don’t panic! I’m sure that the situation will be under control soon,” Scarlett said.

“Oh, sure!” Roger said.

“Hey, what are you doing there?” Jesse asked in the background.

“Nothing,” Scarlett said, whilst Roger ducked back into one of her pockets. She stood back up.

Sandi ran into the library. She started looking for Quinn.

Quinn to Elias, over.

“What’s that about?” Louisa asked.

“Quinn is helping me in this situation,” Elias said. He picked up the walkie-talkie “Report, Quinn, over.”

Sandi is here, in the library, over,

Elias thought for a moment. “Whatever happens, don’t tell her that I’m in Cranberry Commons, over.”

I won’t tell her, over,” Quinn said.

“That would be great, Quinn. Thanks,” Elias said. He put the walkie talkie away. ‘I hope that she won’t,’ he thought.

“So, you want Sandi to be running all over Lawndale all afternoon?” Louisa asked.

“Maybe,” Elias said.

‘That seems like a good plan,’ Louisa thought as she took a sip from her drink.

“Yeah,” Elias said with a smile.

Sandi had overheard Quinn talking on the walkie talkie. She came up to her.
“Gee, Quinn...”

Quinn dropped the copy of Waif in surprise.

“...you are, like, in contact with that emerald snatcher, Elias, aren’t you?”

“No comment, Sandi.”

Sandi glared at Quinn.

Quinn easily caved under the pressure. “Fine! I am, so what?”

“Where is he?” Sandi asked, getting to the point.

“He’s in High Hill’s Park,” Quinn said with a nervous giggle.

“Right.” Sandi said in disbelief, “Give me that walkie-talkie!” She stepped forwards lunged for said item.

Quinn backed up. “Sandi! We can’t fight in the library!” She quickly handed the radio device over.

“Sandi, to Elias, where is your location?”

I am at the Lawndale Fruit Market,” Elias said.

Sandi gave the walkie talkie a dubious look, but decided to head in that direction anyway. “Fine!” she said. She turned to Quinn. “I will not, like, forget your part in this!”

“I know you won’t,” Quinn said, with another nervous giggle. She watched as Sandi stalked away.
‘I know the Fashion Club won’t survive this intact,’ she thought. She picked the copy of Waifback up and waited for any of her helpers to come back with genie information.
Old January 30 2012, 03:13 AM   #27
USS Fardell
Captain

Chapter 5: Part 4
“I don’t know if that lie was good, or not,” Louisa said, after Elias had talked to Sandi.

“Believe me, I don’t know either,” Elias said as they left Borders.

“Ok,” Louisa said. They went towards the food court.

“I don’t know what would happen if I just refused to answer,” Elias said.

“She wouldn’t know where to go.”

“Probably.”

Scarlett heard the others coming down the stairs. She went to the stairs. “Scarlett, can you help Trent get his bandmates moving so we can go to my place?” Daria asked.

“Why?”

“We had arranged to meet some others there,” Stacy said.

“Ok,” Scarlett said. She followed Trent back to the kitchen.

Dennis arrived at the library after having ran from home. He saw Sandi leave. ‘That’s one place Elias could be, talking to Quinn about what she might have found,’ he thought.

He soon found Quinn.

“Why did you wish for that tornado?” Quinn asked when she saw him approaching. She stood up.

“How did you know?” Dennis asked.

“Elias told me, duh!” Quinn said.

“I thought it would be fun!” Dennis said.

Quinn’s face hardened. “Fun! You thought it would be fun! Leave. Now! Before I do something I would regret later!” she said. She thought a few unsavoury words about Dennis before reigning in her anger.

“Well, tell Elias that Andrea is after him too,” Dennis shot back before turning to leave the library.

“Great!” Quinn said, before deciding to look up genies in the encyclopaedia... ‘To hell with it!’ she thought.

Helen arrived back at her office.
“Did you hear about that tornado?” Marianne asked.

“Yes, but it’s gone now, thank goodness.”

“Yes, but it was a close one. It was a miracle that no one was killed!”

“I think it was,” Helen said in thought.

Marianne handed her some paperwork and Helen went back to her desk.

Andrea entered Main Street from Dega Street. She shook her head at the amount of debris. She could see that people were trying to clean it up. She decided to search the street anyway, to go from shop to shop...

Mack and Jodie left the Settlement, followed by Andrew. “I need to check something at the office, but I will be back by dinner,” Andrew said.

“I may do some searching in the meantime,” Jodie said.

“That’s my girl!”

“I will help her,” Mack said.

“A good idea,” Andrew said as he left.

“Where do you want to go first?” Mack asked.

“The Lawndale Mall,” Jodie said.

“Okay.”

Joey, Jeffy and Tiffany arrived at the Morgendorffers at the same time as Jane and Tom, Mystik Spiral and Daria, Scarlett, Tananda, Stacy and Samara. Jake was already home, so Max parked the Tank behind his Lexus.

“We’re here first,” Max said.

“It doesn’t matter,” Nick said.

“Actually, Daria’s father was here first,” Trent said.

“You know what I mean,” Max said.
Tom parked his car next to the Lexus. Jeffy parked his car behind Tom’s rustmobile and beside the Tank. Daria parked the Plymouth behind the Tank.

“This is going to be crowded,” Daria said as she turned off the engine.

“Definitely!” Stacy said.

“Of course,” Tananda said.

They convened after Daria and Jane brought the chairs in from the kitchen, as there were too many people for the lounges in the living room.
Daria sat in the middle of the centre lounge. “To begin; we haven’t found the emerald, there was a tornado, there was a discussion between parents at a restaurant and we now have a larger group of people. Anything I missed?”

Everyone looked at each other. After a brief period of murmuring, Jane said, “That’s about it, Amiga.”

“Good,” Daria said.

“So, Jeffy, what did the parents talk about?” Stacy asked.

“For the most part, about how to look for the emerald,” Jeffy said.

“Oh,” Scarlett said.

“We were also talking about what happened at school.” He continued to tell the others what the parents were talking about prior to the announcement of the tornado...

Elizabeth Rowe left the Settlement. ‘At least that wasn’t a waste of time,’ she thought as she went towards her car. ‘I hope that the emerald will be found soon.’

Sandi arrived at the Lawndale Fruit Market at 5:03. She took about half a minute to determine that Elias wasn’t there.
“You aren’t, like, at the, Fruit Market!”

I’m at the North Dega Mini-Mart,” Elias said.

“Right.”

Bye.

Great! I have to go along part of Dega Street,’ she thought with a shudder. “Fine!” she said with an edge. She pounced and powerwalked out of the Fruit Market.

Cedars of Lawndale
Kristen’s brother, Keith, entered the hospital room. Jennifer moved aside to allow him to sit close to his sister.
“I’m sorry I took so long, the debris from the tornado has played havoc with traffic. How’s my baby sister?”

Kristen blushed. “Keith! I’m sixteen!” she said out of embarrassment, and with mostly false indignation.

“I can see why you’re in here,” Keith said.

“It was a lot slower earlier,” Cindy said.

“Yeah,” Kristen said.

“Hey, you’re getting better,” Keith said.

Kristen smiled.

“I wonder what else is happening?” Jennifer asked.

“What do you mean?” Cindy asked.

“I mean with the emerald. Obviously whoever wished for the tornado no longer has it,” Jennifer said.

“That’s right,” Cindy said.

“I may look on the way home,” Jennifer said.

“Would be a good idea,” Cindy said.

“Yeah,” Jennifer said.

“I’ll keep the radio on,” Kristen said.

Jeffy finished telling the others about what the he and the others at the Settlement had talked about.
“That’s a lot of information,” Daria said. She glanced at Stacy.

“You want me to write it all down?” she asked.

“It would help,” Daria said.

“Sure,” Stacy said. She got a blank notebook out of her back pack and began to furiously write down what Jeffy had said.

Scarlett appeared to blank out for a moment. Tananda looked at her in concern. “What is it?” she asked. Scarlett stood up.

“I’m sorry, Daria, I have to go to Cranberry Commons,” she said.

“What?” Daria asked.

“It may have something to do with the emerald, or it may not. I just feel that I need to be there,” Scarlett said.

There was murmuring.

“Great!” Jane said.

“Are you sure?” Tananda asked.

“Absolutely,” Scarlett said.

“Are you going to need a lift?” Tom asked.

“Certainly, but your car is parked in,” Scarlett said.

“I’m not asking you to stay here, but you didn’t explain everything at the Pizza place or Jane’s,” Daria said.

“I’ll come back later,” Scarlett said.

“Good,” Daria said.

“I can give you a lift,” Trent said.

“Cool, so that car is yours?” Scarlett said.

“Yes, Janie and Daria were borrowing it,” Trent said.

“Let’s go,” Scarlett said.

As Scarlett and Trent left, Daria decided to ask Tananda about Scarlett.

Trent reversed out of the Morgendorffer’s driveway. “So, why do you have to go to Cranberry Commons?” he asked.

Scarlett paused, waiting until Trent had driven off before she answered.

“I’m waiting,” Trent said after he had driven off.

“It’s a feeling I have. More like a vision really, a mixture of both,” Scarlett said.

“Hmm,” Trent said, not sure what to make of Scarlett.

“It has something to do with the genie and the emerald,” Scarlett said.

“You said that at Daria’s house,” Trent said.

“Right,” Scarlett said.

“Anything more?

“It could be there.”

“Why didn’t you tell Daria?”

“I’m sure she wouldn’t believe me. She seems to be a very rational person.”

“She is, but Janie is less rational. You could have told her,” Trent said.

“Maybe,” Scarlett said as she looked out of the window.

Tananda stayed quiet.

“You are her friend, you must know something about her,” Daria said.

“I know Scarlett!” Tananda said vehemently.

“All I’m asking is; does she have some abilities that are usually considered impossible?” Daria asked.

“I’m not going to violate her privacy!” Tananda said.

“She isn’t going to answer,” Jane said.

“I can see that,” Daria said.

“So, what else are we going to do?” Samara asked.

“What I can tell you is what Scarlett and I were up to today,” Tananda said.

“Go ahead,” Daria said.

Tananda started telling the others about what she and Scarlett were up to.

Trent and Scarlett entered the Cranberry Commons parking lot. “Drop me off near one of the entrances,” Scarlett said.

“Sure,” Trent said.

“Thanks for driving me.”

“You’re welcome.”

“I may like Jesse the most, but you are almost as good. Your singing is better too.”

“Thanks. I think.”

They soon came to an entrance. “Thanks for the lift, Trent,” Scarlett said as she got out.

Trent smiled. Scarlett shut the door and waved before turning to go into the mall.

As he drove away he thought about the enigmatic gothic girl.

Back at the Morgendorffers Tananda had finished telling what she wanted to tell. “...and that is it.”

“Wei-ird...” Tiffany said.

“That’s putting it lightly,” Joey said.

“So something else besides the emerald thing is happening?” Jane asked.

“According to Scarlett, yes,” Tananda said.

“But what do you think?” Jane asked.

“I think there is something to it,” Tananda said.

“Quite a lot to take in,” Daria said.

“Of course it is,” Tananda said.

“But a question would be; what can we do about it?” Jane asked.

“I’m not certain, we need more information,” Daria said.

Jane nodded. “we’ll wait for Trent to get back,” she said.

Elias went to a snack bar for afternoon tea. Another of his friends, Nicole Jameson came up to him there.

“Elias, is it true that you are running around town with Sandi Griffin, Dennis Monk and Andrea Hecuba following you?” she asked.

“I didn’t know that Andrea was chasing me,” Elias said with surprise.

“I just ran into Scarlett Hawkins-Le Faye. She told me,” Nicole said.

“Did she say anything else?” Elias asked.
“Nothing else,” Nicole said.

“Ok,” Elias said.

Quinn to Elias.” Elias had wished her a second walkie-talkie earlier.

“Quinn Morgendorffer, she’s helping me in this situation,” Elias said.

Nicole nodded with a slight smile.

“Report, Quinn, over.”

Mrs. Griffin is in the library,” Quinn said.

“Why are you telling me that?” Elias asked in wonder.

She might ask about Sandi, and you know how I react under pressure!” Quinn said.

“Oh, just make sure that she doesn’t see you,” Elias said.

I’m already doing that. I’ll call you later, bye,” Quinn said.

“Bye,” Elias said.

“It sounds like she just wanted to talk to you. Used Mrs. Griffin’s presence in the library as an excuse,” Nicole suggested.

Elias thought for a moment. “That makes sense,” he said.

Jeremy wandered along Main Street. He was pondering the events and the way they paralleled the occurrences in Smithton back in ’93. ‘But it could be anyone who has the emerald. It isn’t that likely that it would be someone who is like the way I was back then.’
He knew that something was going to happen the next morning to really send events out of control...

Trent arrived back at the Morgendorffers.
“Hey, Janie, Daria, Jesse, Daria’s sister’s friends, I dropped Scarlett at Cranberry Commons,” he said as he re-entered the living room.

“Ok,” Daria said.

“We need to plan how to look for the emerald during the night,” Jane said.

“Why? It’s not like people are going to use it in the night, are they?” Max asked.

“I would think that they would!” Nick said.

“Yeah,” Jesse said.
“I think they would use it during the night,” Jane said.

“Especially as it’s Friday night,” Daria said.

Trent sat next to his band mates.

“I’m not going to look for it during the night. Besides we have a gig tonight,” Max said.

“We do, but that doesn’t mean we can’t look for it before hand,” Trent said.

Daria sighed as Mystik Spiral began to bicker amongst themselves.

“This isn’t getting anywhere!” Stacy said.

“I agree,” Daria said.
Old February 6 2012, 01:21 AM   #28
USS Fardell
Captain

Chapter 6: The Eventful Evening Part 1
Sandi had searched the North Dega Mini-Mart and found that Elias wasn’t there. ‘Of course not,’ she thought as she grabbed the walkie-talkie...

Elias, you are, like, not at the North Dega Mini-Mart!” Sandi said.

“I’m back at Lawndale High,” Elias said.

Really?

“Yes.”

I’m going there now,” Sandi said.

“Good trick, leading Sandi in circles,” Nicole said, after a moment. Elias looked uncomfortable. “Maybe a not so good trick,” she murmered.

“Yeah,” Elias said, thinking.

“Someone has to do it,” Nicole said.

“Yeah.”

Cedars of Lawndale
Jennifer looked at the time. “5:30. Time I went home,” she said.

“That’s ok. Thanks for being here,” Kristen said.

Jennifer smiled. She looked to Cindy.

“I’ll stay here a while longer,” Cindy said.

“Are you sure?” Jennifer asked.

“Yes,” Cindy said.

“I’ll be back right after breakfast,” Jennifer said.

“Cool,” Kristen said.

Jennifer said goodbye to all three others and then left the room.

Back at Schloss Morgendorffer (as Daria and Jane called the place sometimes), Mystik Spiral, as in Max and Nick, were still bickering.

“I can go look,” Jeffy said.

“Good, but Trent may have parked you in,” Daria said.

“No, I didn’t, I parked it where you had parked it, Daria,” Trent said.

“Ok then, but where did you have in mind?” Daria asked.

“The Lawndale Mall, that’s where I would go,” Jeffy said.

“Sure, who wants to join him?” Daria asked.

“I will,” Stacy said.

“So will I,” Joey said.

“I will too,” Samara said.

“Cool,” Jeffy said.

“Tiffany?” Stacy asked.

“I’ll wait for Mommy,” Tiffany said.

“Ok,” Stacy said.

“Let’s go,” Jeffy said.

The quad quickly left, saying that they would be back later in the night.

Jane turned on the kitchen radio. “Just what I was thinking,” Daria said.

“Sure,” Jane said.

It was 5:34 when Sandi called She had called a taxi. (It was waiting in the traffic circle at the front of the school as she spoke.)
“Elias. You are not, like, here at Lawndale High! Where are you?” she demanded.

I’m at Cluster Burger,” he said.

“You had better be, like, there when I get there!” she threatened.

Maybe,” Elias said as he signed off.
A short time after this Nicole asked Elias “Don’t you think that it may be time that you got away from here?”

“Who would be chasing me here? Sandi thinks I am in a different part of Lawndale and Dennis is also looking elsewhere.” He wasn’t sure who else would be chasing him at that moment.

“What of Andrea Hecuba?” Nicole asked.

That brought Elias up short. He had not thought that she would be chasing him.

“I wouldn’t worry; all she wants the emerald for is for the status quo to be restored,” Elias said.

“Then I would wish that the remaining damage caused by that tornado would be repaired,” Nicole said.

‘Why didn’t I think about that earlier?’ he asked himself. “Good idea. Thanks Nicole.” He grabbed the emerald. “I wish that all damage in Lawndale that was caused by the tornado, that wasn’t repaired earlier, would be repaired.”

Through the parts of Lawndale hit by the tornado, the minor damage that escaped the earlier repair was repaired.

Jeremy noticed this. “Tornado damage repaired. It is almost exactly the same, accounting for the differences between Smithton and Lawndale,” he said. He was walking along Dega Street at the time, talking quietly.

Jeffy, Joey, Samara and Stacy arrived at the Lawndale Mall. “What’s our plan? The emerald wouldn’t just be lying on the ground,” Stacy said as she got out of the car.

“We’ll look for Sandi, Quinn or Elias,” Samara said.

“Cool,” Jeffy said.

“And then what? We find the person who has the emerald. What happens then?” Stacy asked.

“We keep an eye on them, ensure that they don’t wish for anything that would be detrimental to Lawndale as a whole,” Samara said.

“Good plan,” Stacy said.

“I agree,” Jeffy said as he locked the car. They headed into the Mall.

Sandi called Elias from Cluster Burger. “You are, like, not here!” she said.

“I’m at McDonalds,” Elias said.

Ok,” Sandi said. Elias could hear her aggravation over the airwaves.

Sandi left Cluster Burger. Back at that chain restaurant the manager sent a message to her superior...

Jeremy arrived back at the municipal bus stop outside the Lawndale Court House. He had decided to go back to the Lawndale State campus.

Helen arrived home at 5:45, parking her SUV beside Jake’s Lexus. (Tom had moved his rustbucket to the curb.
‘I see that Trent’s band is here,’ she thought.

“...So, tomorrow we are going to scour all of Lawndale?” Trent said as Helen entered.

“Wasn’t that what I just said?” Daria asked.

“I see you have been planning, yourself,” Helen said.

“Yes, Mom,” Daria said.

“Have you heard from Quinn?”

“We haven’t,” Daria said.

“Jeffy, Joey and Stacy are looking at the Lawndale Mall,” Jane said.

“If she doesn’t call by 8:00, I’m going to look myself,” Helen said.

“I’m sure she can look after herself. She goes on multiple dates a night, after all,” Daria said.

“I’m sure she can, but I’m still worried,” Helen said.

At 5:48, after having run down Ford Street, Sandi arrived at McDonalds. She could see Angie Zammit, one of the Lawndale High cheerleaders, working there. She walked up to her.
“Hi Sandi,” Angie said.

“Is, like, Elias Howarth here?”

“I haven’t seen him. Are you going to take an order?”

“Ooh! He is so dead!” Sandi raged.

“He has that emerald, doesn’t he?” Angie asked.

“Yes!” Sandi said, as she flipped open the walkie-talkie. “Sandi to Elias, you are not in McDonalds!”

I am in Blockbuster,” Elias said. There was a lot of static in that transmission.

‘There could be interference,’ Sandi thought.

“Sounds like he is near the edge of Lawndale, not right next door,” Angie said, having overheard the conversation.

‘Now that I think about it, that’s obvious,’ Sandi thought. “Elias, According to Angie, you are like, much further away.”

I’m in High Hills Park,” Elias said.

“Right,” Sandi said, as she closed the walkie-talkie. “I’ll have some small fries, no salt,” she said to Angie.

“Coming right up!” Angie said.

When she had got her fries, Sandi left McDonalds in the direction of High Hills Park...

Louisa came to Elias who had just bought some nuts from Nutty, Nutty, Nutty World. “Andrea is here at Cranberry Commons,” she said.

“I wouldn’t worry, I don’t think she wants to take the emerald,” Elias said.

“I’m not so sure,” Louisa said.

Elias could see that she was concerned. “You could keep an eye on her,” he said.

That alleviated some of Louisa’s concern. “I will do that,” she said.

Lawndale Mall
Samara came out of J.J. Jeeters “Elias isn’t there either,” she said.

“Right, the next store,” Joey said.

“Yes,” Stacy said.

The four walked to the next store. “Teuton’s Toys. For all German-produced toys,” Samara said.

“Sounds cool,” Joey said.

‘Of course it sounds cool!’ Samara thought.

“Let’s search it!” Stacy said.

“Absolutely,” Jeffy said. They went into the store.

It was 6:05 when Sandi arrived in High Hills Park. She went to the middle of the park and used her locate ability to determine whether Elias was in the Park.

When her perceptions encompassed the entire park without finding Elias within its boundaries, she snapped out of it, knowing it would be useless to try to use it to locate him elsewhere in Lawndale.
She then took out the walkie-talkie. “Elias, You, like, are not in High Hills Park!”

I’m at Pizza Forest,” Elias said.

“Right,” Sandi said, dubiously. She wasn’t sure that he would be there.

I am there,” Elias said, with a taunting tone.

Sandi decided to go to Pizza Forest anyway.

Quinn had gone through one volume of the Encyclopaedia Britannica. There was hardly any reference to genies. ‘Maybe I should have chosen the G volume of the Micropaedia, rather then the A volume of the Macropaedia, she thought She went to get that volume.

1111 Glen Oaks Lane
Daria and Jane were up in Daria’s room listening to the radio when Helen entered the room. “Daria, Jane, Dinner is ready,” she said.

“It’s Dad’s cooking, isn’t it?” Daria asked.

“Yes,” Helen said with a sigh.

“We’ll be right down,” Daria said, getting up.

“What do you think we’ll find?” Jane asked after Helen had gone.

“Lot of spices,” Daria said.

Daria entered the Dining Room to find Nick setting the table whilst his bandmates and Tom sat waiting and Tiffany stared out of the window.

Jake entered the room after them carrying a large pot that looked like it contained some sort of stew and place it on the table.

“Hey, kiddo, you any idea when those others will be back? There’s enough for them too.”

“No idea. It could be half an hour to an hour,” Daria said.

“I think you may have underestimated my brother’s friends’ appetites too, Mr. M,” Jane said.

“Oh! I guess I will have to cook some more.”

“You will not!” Helen said.

“But, Helen!”

“You can cook more if it runs out,” Helen said.

“Ok,” Jake said.

Daria and Jane then sat at the table.

Louisa found Andrea in a Coffee Lounge in the food court in front of Cashmans.

Andrea saw her approaching and wondered what she would say.

“I think Elias is in Cashmans,” Louisa said.

“I have already looked there,” Andrea said.

“He may have gone in while you were at the back of the store, and gone around the same direction you did.”

“In that case I will look in there again.”

“Cool,” Louisa said, as she headed back towards the food court.

“Samara, Stacy, Joey and Jeffy exited Teuton’s Toys. “That was cool, but no emerald,” Samara said.

“Let’s search a few more stores, and then go back to Quinn’s for dinner,” Joey suggested.

“Let’s do it,” Stacy said.

“Sure,” Jeffy said.

Jeremy arrived back at Penton Hall at 6:16. He then went to Dinner.

Louisa found Elias at a newsagency. “I tricked Andrea into Cashmans,” she said.

“Thanks, Lousia,” he said, although he wasn’t sure tricking Andrea was really a good idea. ‘She’s scary.’

“You’re welcome.”

Cedars of Lawndale
“Six Twenty,” Cindy said.

“Huh?” Kristen asked.

“6:20, Mom will be wondering where I am,” Cindy said. “Add to that the events of this afternoon, and...”

“That’s ok. You can go home if you want or need to,” Kristen said interrupting.

“I’ll be back shortly after breakfast,” Cindy said. She gave her best friend a hug.

“See ya,” Kristen said.

“Thanks for being here for her,” Keith said.

Cindy waved with a smile as she left the room.

At 6:26 Sandi arrived at Pizza Forest. She took very little time in determining that Elias wasn’t there. ‘I bet that he is at Cranberry Commons,’ she thought, sure that asking where he was again would be an exercise in futility.

She ordered a cheeseless pizza, and endured the evil of the ‘singers’.

Jeffy, Joey, Stacy and Samara arrived back at the Morgendorffers, Jeffy parking his car beside the Tank and behind Helen’s SUV.

Samara sniffed the air as she entered the house. “Something smells good,” she said.

“Oh, no! They started dinner without us!” Stacy said.

“I’m sure that they would have saved some, Stacy,” Samara said.

“I hope so!” Stacy said.

They entered the dining room, to find Mystik Spiral still eating, Tiffany looking blankly at a plate still half full of food, Jane and Tom looking out the window, and Daria writing in a notepad.

“Where are your parents?” Stacy asked Daria.

“Upstairs. Mom got a call from her boss, and Dad is fretting about seeing squirrels in the backyard. There is food left in the pot for all of you.”

“Ok, but Squirrels?” Stacy asked.

“He’s convinced that they are large rats out to get humanity,” Daria said.

“That’s weird,” Samara said as she took some soup out of the pot.

“You don’t know the half of it,” Daria said as Joey and Jeffy also got some food.

“Ok,” Stacy said nervously as she also went to get food.

As Cindy entered her house, her mother ran and hugged her. “I was so worried, where were you?” she admonished.

“At the hospital; something happened to Kristen as part of the strange events.”

Ms. Robinson-Brolsma drew back from her daughter and looked at her in concern. “What happened? Is she ok?”

“Some weird energy struck her at school and affected her voice. It is slowly getting better,” Cindy said.

“Oh dear!”

“That’s not all, I actually had that emerald at lunchtime,” Cindy said.

“I heard about it, but I wasn’t sure if it was the truth.”

“It’s real alight. I had it, but I lost it when I accidently collided with other kids.”

“Can’t help that now.”

They hugged each other and then her mother reheated her dinner in the microwave.

At the library, one of the middle school kids came up to Quinn. “I think I have found something,” he said, as he held out a book.

“What is it?” Quinn asked, as she took the book.

“It’s a book of legends. My teacher says that all legends have a kernel of truth to them,” he said.

Quinn thought. She remembered Mr. DeMartino and possibly at least one of her teachers back in Highland saying something similar. She looked at the cover.

Selected Arabian Legends.

“Look at the legend on Agrabah. It’s a city in eastern Jordan.”

“But that area is mostly desert,” Quinn said, remembering something from geography classes.

The boy opened the book and pointed to the map of Jordan showing the location of Agrabah.

“Oh! Thanks, Ken,” Quinn said. She then turned to the legend in question.

She quickly found the information that had piqued Ken’s interest.

Agrabah is the source of many tales about Aladdin, the suiter of the last Sultan of Agrabah’s daughter, and an adventurer who defended the city against many threats. Many of the tales involve a genie whom Aladdin has befriended.

The most prominent tale, adapted into an animated film by the Disney Corporation, is the tale of how Aladdin defeated the Sultan’s evil Vizier, Jafar...

There are many versions of this tale, but they all agree that there was a genie involved.

‘That is interesting,’ Quinn thought. She had seen that film but didn’t think it relevant to the situation at hand. ‘But only a few of the aspects of the film would be based on the real event...’ She continued to read the entry on Agrabah.

In Cranberry Commons, Scarlett was wandering through the shops, wondering what would happen next. “I know something is happening soon,” she said as she entered a mostly empty shop.

“What do you mean?” Roger asked quietly. He was sure that no one would hear him talk, or see him.

“I sense something. And you do remember that time journey...”

Roger nodded before Scarlett could elaborate further. That had been rather harrowing adventure. ‘And this is the 1999 trouble?’ he thought.

In the Morgendorffer’s backyard the Squirrels at the Glen Oaks post were discussing their options regarding the Emperor’s edict.

“We have to be careful,” one of the squirrels said.

“That’s a given,” Captain Jaywi said.

“Then we need to plan how we would snatch the emerald from whichever human it happens to be...”

“Correct,” Captain Jaywi said, wondering when they would get to the point.

“Maybe...”

The squirrels continued planning.

Quinn finished reading the Agrabah legends. ‘It’s interesting, but it’s still just a legend,’ she thought with a sigh. However she decided to try to look up Agrabah in one of the encyclopaedias. ‘There has to be something.’

She grabbed the closest A volume.

Jennifer finished dinner and switched on the radio. ‘There should be further information by now,’ she thought.

At 6:55 Andrea found Elias. “Give me the emerald, Elias. You should not have told Dennis about it,” she said.

‘She’s blaming me for that?’ Elias thought. “I couldn’t have known that he would react in that way,” he said.

“It was still irresponsible! Give me it!”

“No, Andrea,” Elias said, wondering why she was acting this way.

“Then I have to take it by force,” she said. Andrea proceeded to do just that.

“Stop!” Elias cried out. After a brief struggle Andrea had taken a hold of the emerald. She then ran off...

“Hey Andrea, give it back!” he said.

Andrea just continued running off...

Elias ran after her and grabbed the walkie-talkie... He had to warn the others. “Elias to Quinn, Andrea Hecuba has the emerald! Are you able to get to Cranberry Commons?”

Oh no! I will be there as soon as I can, Quinn out,

Elias could hear that she was distressed by what he had told her. He hoped that she would be able to get to Cranberry Commons quickly.
Old February 13 2012, 12:36 AM   #29
USS Fardell
Captain

Chapter 6: Part 2

Elias to Quinn, Andrea Hecuba has the emerald! Are you able to get to Cranberry Commons?

“Oh no!” Quinn exclaimed “I will be there as soon as I can, Quinn out!”

She looked around and quickly saw one of her former date partners. She went over to him. ““Corey, could you give me a lift over to Cranberry Commons?” she asked.

“Sure,” Corey Bateman said.

“Let’s go,” Quinn said.

Corey led the way out of the library.

“Elias to Louisa, Scarlett and Nicola; Andrea Hecuba has the emerald and is here in Cranberry Commons.”

Ok,” Scarlett said.

I’ll be right there,’ Louisa said.

I’m looking for her,” Nicola said.

Schloss Morgendorffer
Dinner was finished.
“What now?” Stacy asked.

“What do you mean?” Daria asked as she placed some of the plates into the dishwasher.

“Are we going to look for the others and the emerald again?” Stacy asked.

“I was thinking we could look in Main Street and the streets adjacent,” Daria said.

“Let’s go,” Stacy said.

“Worried?” Jane asked.

“Of course!” Stacy said.

“Jane, Tom, and I are willing to go,” Daria said.

“I’ll join you,” Stacy said.

“You can,” Jane said. She went back into the Dining room where Mystik Spiral were telling stories to Samara, Tananda, Joey and Jeffy.

“And so the guy said that he was there when Jimi Hendrix decided to go to Altamonte...” Max said.

Jane interrupted. “Hey, Trent, Can we take your car again?” she asked.

“Sure, Janie,” Trent said.

Jane came back out. “We can take his car.”

“We could have taken my car,” Tom said.

Jane shrugged.

“Let’s go,” Daria said.

“Sure,” Stacy said.

About five minutes after Elias had lost the emerald, Louisa found Andrea near one of the newsagencies. “Why did you take the emerald from Elias?” she asked.

“He was irresponsible with it,” Andrea said. She was then suddenly panicked slightly as she found that she had lost the emerald. “I’ve lost it!”

‘She may be lying,” Louisa thought.

“I wouldn’t lie about this!” Andrea said when she saw the expression on Louisa’s face, which then changed slightly as Louisa pondered what Andrea had said.

Elias then came along.
Andrea looked him in the eye. “I’ve lost it. You also know that I don’t want Lawndale to get any worse!”

“Right,” Elias said. Scarlett came along whilst he was considering what Andrea had said. “Do you know where it is, Scarlett?” he asked.

Scarlett concentrated. She sensed the emerald some distance away. ‘It may be outside.’ “I’m uncertain, but I think it might be outside, in the parking lot,” Scarlett said.

“I didn’t take it there!” Andrea said.

“Great! It’s probably in the wrong hands,” Elias said.

Then, all of a sudden, there was Zero Gravity in Cranberry Commons...

“Not again!” Lousia said as she started drifting upwards.

“You can say that again!” Elias said. The lack of gravity was rather distracting.

“This just got a lot more difficult!” Louisa complained.

Jane parked the Plymouth in Main Street, outside a store called Dan’s Stationers.

“Right, Tom and I will search to the east,” Jane said.

“We’ll take the west,” Daria said.

“Sure,” Stacy said.

They got out and started searching.

Corey pulled up outside Cranberry Commons at 7:10.
“Thanks for the lift, Corey,” Quinn said.

“Anytime, Quinn,” Corey said.

Quinn got out of the car and dashed away. After watching her for a few moments Corey drove off.

I’m here, at Cranberry Commons, Elias,” Quinn said.

“You can search the Cashmans, if you can manage to get there,” Elias said.

Huh?

“There is zero gravity in here,” Elias said.

Thanks for the warning,” Quinn said.

“It will be more difficult than at school. The corridors are bigger,” Elias said.

I know that,” Quinn said.

Sandi approached Cranberry Commons from a different exit and saw the zero gravity in effect. ‘Not again!’ she thought. She looked again, and saw Judith Lake, a geeky fellow sophomore, near the entrance. It appeared that she had the emerald! Sandi decided to run into the gravity-less zone. She had learnt from the experiences at lunchtime.

Sandi backed off and then dashed she jumped as she reached the threshold...

Judith Lake saw Sandi Griffin coming as she jumped into the mall. ‘She’s put herself on a collision course!’ She decided that Sandi had learned from Andrea’s encounter with Torii before school. She then wished that the gravity would resume. She landed on her feet and dashed off deeper into the mall.

“Woa-oah!” Sandi fell as the gravity resumed. She managed to land on her feet, and then glanced to see Judith running off. “Give me that emerald, Judith Lake!” she called after her.

Judith saw Elias in the distance and threw the emerald to her.

Elias caught the emerald He saw Sandi and Andrea approaching. “I wish that Sandi Griffin and Andrea Hecuba will go to the Bowling Ally!”

“No!” Sandi called out as she and Andrea disappeared to the wish granting sound.

“Elias, you are dealing with unexplained phenomena!” Judith said.

Elias thought for a moment. “Maybe you could explain it,” he said.

“Huh?”

“If you had some sort of laboratory, you could explain it?” Elias asked, knowing that Judith was good in Science.

“Sure, but I don’t have a laboratory,” Judith objected.

“I could wish that you have one. Like that one on that show on Cartoon Network, Dexter’s Laboratory.”

Judith smiled. “That would be cool!” she said. “But there isn’t really room in my house for it,” she said.

“Let the genie, or the emerald, take care of that,” Elias said.

“Sure,” Judith said.

“I wish that Judith Lake would have an advanced laboratory in her house, somewhere,” Elias said.

“Cool,” Judith said. Then Quinn, Nicola and Lousia came onto the scene.

“Situation is under control,” Elias said.

“You have the emerald?” Quinn asked.

Elias nodded.

“I’ll catch a bus back to the library.” Quinn said.

“So you found some information?” Elias asked.

“Some, but I would like to look into it further,” Quinn said.

“Ok,” Elias said.

“Cool, bye!” Quinn said as she left.

Elias waited until Quinn was out of sight before asking Nicola if they could have dinner somewhere.

“Sure,” Nicola said.

At 7:30, Tiffany’s mother arrived at the Morgendorffer’s residence, having parked her car at the curb, in front of Tom’s rustbucket. She rang the doorbell and Helen answered the door. “Frances, Tiffany has been waiting for a while.”

“She has? But what about Stacy?” Frances asked.

“Stacy has been out looking for the emerald. First with Joey and Jeffy and now with Daria,” Helen said.

Frances took this information in. “I think I’ll wait for them to get back,” she said.

“You’re welcome to,” Helen said.

“Good,” Frances said as she entered.

Tiffany was talking with Joey, Jeffy and Tananda in the kitchen when her mom entered. “Hi, Mommy,” she said.

“Any luck with the emerald?” she asked.

“None,” Tiffany said.

“We have come up with nothing, Mrs. Blum-Deckler,” Jeffy said.

“Oh. Well, keep trying,” Frances said.

“We intend to,” Joey said.

“Good,” Frances said.

“I’m ready, Mommy,” Tiffany said.

“We’re going to wait for Stacy and Daria to get back,” Frances said.

“Okaay.”

As she headed back to the Library on the bus, Quinn overheard others discussing the situation that Lawndale seemed to be getting into.
“It can’t be good at all,” one person said.

“It’s getting worse, or so the rumors say,” another said.

‘It certainly isn’t,’ she thought.

Daria and Stacy crossed Dega Street. “Um, is this a good idea?” Stacy asked. She sounded very nervous.

“Why do you ask that?” Daria asked. ‘Sure , it’s Dega Street, but it’s not that bad,’ she thought.

“The area to the south-west of Dega Street isn’t exactly safe,” Stacy said.

“I have been through this area before at this time of the week without trouble,” Daria said. ‘Many times,’ she thought.

“No offense, Daria, but I don’t think you’re their ‘type,’ wheras I am!” Stacy said melodramatically.

‘She has a point there,’ Daria thought. “If we stay next to each other, we can watch out for each other,” she said.

“Good point!” Stacy said. She stepped closer to Daria.

“But not too close,” Daria said.

“Please?”

“Fine.”

“Thank you!”

Daria sighed.

Corey arrived home. “Where have you been?” his mother asked.

“At the library and Cranberry Commons,” he said.

“Well, some strange things are happening. Stay home tonight.”

“I know, I was at school when they happened.”

“Still, stay home.”

Corey sighed as he headed towards the stairs. ‘She’s definitely being overprotective,’ he thought.

Quinn arrived back at the library at 7:40. She found that most of her previous helpers had left. But that was ok. She decided she could find more information about genies, and Agrabah, by herself.

Corey entered his room, switched on his TV and started strumming his guitar...

Daria, Stacy, Tom and Jane met back at the Plymouth at 7:50. “Nothing?” Jane asked.

“We haven’t found any leads,” Daria said.

“Apart from some rumours about strange events at Cranberry Commons,” Stacy said. ‘Quite convincing,’ she thought.

“Rumours?” Tom asked.

“Hardly conclusive,” Daria said.

“No, but they sounded similar to what happened at school at lunch,” Stacy said.

“True, but it’s not much to go on,” Daria said.

“Sounds like there is something,” Jane said.

“We’ll talk about it later,” Daria said.

“Sure,” Jane said.

“You have any leads?” Stacy asked Jane,

“Absolutely none, let’s get back to your house, Daria and discuss tonight’s forays into detective work,” Jane said.

“Certainly,” Daria said as she got into the car.

After his dinner with Nicole, Elias went to the Youth Group he usually attended, at the Lawndale Baptist Church. However he soon found that the Youth Group wasn’t held at the Church, as it usually was, but at someone’s place...

Elias appeared at the end of Emerald Street and walked to the O’Reilly’s house.

“Hi, Elias,” Christine Johnson said.

“Hi, Christine,” he said.
His friend Shannon O’Quillan approached the house. “Has been a wild day, hasn’t it?” she asked.

“What do you mean?” Elias asked.

“A lot of weird happenings in Lawndale today,” she said.

“That’s true,” Elias said.

“There are lots of rumours too, and there usually isn’t a tornado here,” Shannon said.

“True,” Elias said, in thought.

“So what about those rumours of zero gravity during lunchtime at Lawndale High?”

“No comment.”

“Really?”

At 8:00 Quinn called home.

Helen answered the home. “Hello,” she said.

Hi, Mom,” Quinn said.

“Quinn! Where have you been? I’ve been so worried!”

In the library, acting like Daria.”

‘That doesn’t sound like her. I mean it does but like if she was assured of her intelligence like Daria is,’ Helen thought. “Quinn?”

And at Cranberry Commons, the emerald was there most of the afternoon after that tornado went away.”

“Oh.”

I’ll be home soon and I’ll fill you in,” Quinn said.

“Where are you now?”

The library, I think that I’ve found out that the Aladdin movie has a basis in fact.”

‘The Disney movie? A basis in fact? What is she thinking?’ “I’ll be right there.”

Mo-om!

‘I guess she’s still herself. Jeffy and Joey are here.’ “Oh, right. Anyway, Joey and Jeffy are here. I’m sure that they would be happy to pick you up.”

They were helping Daria, weren’t they?” Quinn asked.

“Somewhat,” Helen said.

Tell them I’ll be waiting out the front.

“I will, see you, Quinn.”

Bye,”

Jeffy and Joey exited the Morgendorffer’s house as Daria, Jane, Stacy and Tom pulled up. “Where are you going?” Daria asked.

“We’re picking Quinn up from the library,” Joey said

“She called your Mom from there,” Jeffy said.

“What was she doing there?” Jane asked.

“Not sure,” Jeffy said as he went to his car.

“Maybe being like Daria, according to her Mom, whilst she was talking to her,” Joey said sounding confused.

“OK,” Daria said, wondering what Joey meant.

“What do you think Joey meant?” Daria asked Jane as they headed towards the kitchen.

“No idea,” Jane said.

Stacy entered the kitchen and saw Tiffany’s mother with her. “Hi, Mrs. Blum-Deckler.”

“Hi, Stacy, did you and the others find anything?” Frances asked.

“We didn’t,” Stacy said.

“Maybe Quinn has some information,” Daria said as she followed Stacy.

“I’m sure she does,” Helen said.

“She better tell us,” Daria said.

“I’m sure she will, you know how talkative she is,” Helen said.

‘Oh, do I!’ Daria thought.

Back at the O’Reilly’s Elias had decided to ‘spill the beans’ to Shannon. “What? A genie, you cannot be serious,” Shannon said.

“I am,” Elias said.

“Prove it!” Shannon said.

“I guess I have to,” Elias said as he produced the emerald and rubbed it...

At the Griffin Residence, Jean and Sam were playing chess. “Check,” Jean said as she took one of Sam’s bishops with a rook and thereby placed his king in danger.

“That’s annoying,” Sam said. He moved the king into an adjacent vacant space. Jean then stood up. “Someone’s rubbing the emerald, I have to go,” she said.

“Wait!” Sam said. He lunged forwards and grabbed the genie’s arm. They both vanished from the Griffin’s game room...

Elias was surprised when he saw Sam arrive with Jean. “There appear to be two genies,” Shannon said.

“I know that Jean, the female, is the genie. The other is Sam Griffin, a middle schooler,” Elias said.

“I’m definitely a human boy,” Sam murmured.

Judith Lake to Elias Howarth.”

Christine came over in slight shock. “How did they appear out of thin air?”

“You didn’t notice them before?” Shannon asked.

“No! They appeared out of thin air!”

“No they didn’t,” Elias said.

Elias, are you there?

“Well, something happened!” Christine said.

Elias knew that he would have to tell Christine the truth. “Elias, are you there?” Judith asked again.

“Judith? What’s up?”

According to these sensors, there was a neutrino surge a minute ago,” Judith said.

“Thanks for letting me know, Elias out.”

“Are you going to tell me?” Christine asked.

“You know, those rumours about a genie? They’re right!”

“No! They can’t be right!” Christine said.

“And yet they are,” Elias said.

“Prove it!”

“I just did, hence these two appearing,” Elias said.

“You saw it,” Shannon said.

“Prove it!”

“Ok, I wish we were in the emerald,” Elias said, not sure that it would work.

“Are you sure?” Jean asked.

“Grant it,” Elias said.

“Ok.... Don’t say I didn’t warn you,” Jean said. She granted the wish and she, Elias, Christine and Shannon all vanished. The emerald fell to the ground. Sam picked it up.

“I guess I have it again,” he said.
Old February 13 2012, 07:35 PM   #30
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

Is anybody actually reading this then?

Just out of interest?
Sandoval is offline   Reply With Quote