Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Closed Thread

Old January 6 2012, 04:35 AM   #496
Xelo
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

So Happy its FTP, back on board 100%
Old January 6 2012, 05:06 AM   #497
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Santa Claus wrote: View Post
[...] they've completely separated Ground and Space skill sets. You get an alloted set of space and an alloted set of ground skill points (300k space / 100k Ground).
I don't think I've logged into STO since SWTOR started its Early Game Access and I haven't been paying attention to STO news either, so I'm very glad to hear that separate skill point pools for space and ground has finally made its way in-game.
Old January 6 2012, 09:14 AM   #498
Rocketeer
Captain

The skills points are actually still in one pool, there is just a cap on the max you can allocate to space or ground. Cryptic wants to prevent a player from putting all points in space combat while ignoring ground action. I respec'd two characters but I'll probably go back and tweak/respec again once I see how the changes affect performance. Not a problem as most of my characters have several unused respec tokens.

Last edited by Rocketeer; January 6 2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old January 6 2012, 05:56 PM   #499
Hanover Fiste
Rear Admiral

Well, that's annoying. If Cryptic wants me to make the ground game more of a priority, they should make it less of an "afterthought" part of the game.
Old January 6 2012, 06:02 PM   #500
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Hanover Fiste wrote: View Post
Well, that's annoying. If Cryptic wants me to make the ground game more of a priority, they should make it less of an "afterthought" part of the game.
They did during STO Season 4.
Old January 6 2012, 06:06 PM   #501
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

I finally got everything balanced out to where it was before the skill tree change. Ground combat still terrible, space combat good.

"People are always looking for the single magic bullet that will totally change everything. There is no single magic bullet." - Temple Grandin
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
Old January 6 2012, 07:55 PM   #502
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

Not that I actually expect anyone else in here to acknowledge it, but I would like to Point out that about a year ago - maybe a bit more I said that STO would be F2P when TOR came out and I was told I was a mad man by quite a few of you. Just thought I'd pop in for the obligatory "told ya so" post.

Anyway, hope you all had a great holiday and continue enjoying the game.
Old January 6 2012, 08:36 PM   #503
Hanover Fiste
Rear Admiral

Noname Given wrote: View Post
Hanover Fiste wrote: View Post
They did during STO Season 4.
I've been with this game from the (non-beta) beginning, and I disagree. Ground combat is still a half-assed afterthought.
Old January 6 2012, 10:17 PM   #504
Scout101
Admiral

yeah, adding the ability to see crosshairs doesn't exactly do much for the experience...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Old January 7 2012, 12:30 AM   #505
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

That's a bit unfair though.

We didn't just get a crosshair. What comes with it is an fps style control scheme and targeting mechanic.
Try throwing grenades at Armek when his cover shields are up. Won't work in RPG-Mode.
In shooter mode just aim above him and throw your nade. It'll hit.
Generally, aiming in shooter mode is a lot more precise.
Old January 7 2012, 01:09 AM   #506
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

I think I'm getting the hang of the dilithium exchange, I just went from about close to 80,000 to almost 300,000 refined dilithium.
Old January 7 2012, 02:29 AM   #507
syberghost
Commander

View syberghost's Twitter Profile

Bishop76 wrote: View Post
Not that I actually expect anyone else in here to acknowledge it, but I would like to Point out that about a year ago - maybe a bit more I said that STO would be F2P when TOR came out and I was told I was a mad man by quite a few of you. Just thought I'd pop in for the obligatory "told ya so" post.

Anyway, hope you all had a great holiday and continue enjoying the game.
And, lo and behold TOR came out a month before STO became free to play. Thank you for coming back so we could say "I told ya so" though, that was big of you.
Old January 9 2012, 09:49 AM   #508
Rocketeer
Captain

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
I think I'm getting the hang of the dilithium exchange, I just went from about close to 80,000 to almost 300,000 refined dilithium.
Got any tips you'd like to share? :-)

I've had a string of terrible luck with the DOFF system. Most of my characters are coming up with Critical Failures on the Support assignments for the purple DOFFs. Despite putting the best DOFFs against the assignment, still crashing. Only one character has been able to claim the purple DOFF so far.

Seems like gold members are quickly becoming second class citizens in the Star Trek Online universe. Cryptic is working hard to please the F2P crowd. The 400 CP benefit may soothe some of the pain, but has anyone received this yet? I'd like to see some unique once-in-a-lifetime benefit given to gold members on 17 Jan 2012. Perhaps a gold plated phaser or something.

Last edited by Rocketeer; January 9 2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old January 9 2012, 08:46 PM   #509
Uncle Sol
Commander

Rocketeer wrote: View Post
The 400 CP benefit may soothe some of the pain, but has anyone received this yet? I'd like to see some unique once-in-a-lifetime benefit given to gold members on 17 Jan 2012. Perhaps a gold plated phaser or something.

I have received the extra 400 CP. One for this month an again last month. I used it to upgrade to the Scourge Destroyer . Now I'm saving up for the Guramba. Although I may start a new Fed toon soon so having the extra points from the start could come in handy buying mid level ships.
Old January 9 2012, 09:06 PM   #510
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Rocketeer wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Got any tips you'd like to share? :-)
Basically if you have extra C-points left over from a purchase and you don't see anything you want in the store for them just put them in the dilithium exchange.

OF course for me it helps that I don't use dilithium until I hit VA so it helps if you can stockpile the stuff.

I've had a string of terrible luck with the DOFF system. Most of my characters are coming up with Critical Failures on the Support assignments for the purple DOFFs. Despite putting the best DOFFs against the assignment, still crashing. Only one character has been able to claim the purple DOFF so far.
Have any of the doffs you used on those mission have words that were in red under there names by any chance?

Seems like gold members are quickly becoming second class citizens in the Star Trek Online universe. Cryptic is working hard to please the F2P crowd. The 400 CP benefit may soothe some of the pain, but has anyone received this yet? I'd like to see some unique once-in-a-lifetime benefit given to gold members on 17 Jan 2012. Perhaps a gold plated phaser or something.
I managed to get mine, plus you do have the option of never having to buy a ship all the way through the game seeing as RA ships are just as good as VA ships and you can still get a VA ship for free after 600 days.
Closed Thread