Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 5 2012, 02:43 AM   #256
stonester1
Rear Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Vorta Claus wrote: View Post
Hey! I'm a Dominion Strumpet.

Hmm, that would make a good custom title...

But anyway, to actually add some substance to this post, I don't see anything wrong with a TV version of AI (or, really, a TV version of the familiar sci fi notion of intelligent robots, because that description is too skimpy to really know what it will be "about"). BSG and Caprica really just did their own idiosyncratic thing, so I'm not counting them.

Exploring the social aspect of artificial intelligence isn't an overdone concept on TV. Superheroes and vampires, now they're overdone, but not robots. Novels and movies are very different from TV, so we could get something valuable and new from a TV series.
I would say that Superheroes on TV aren't overdone yet. Plenty of room for a GOOD series dealing with that sort. Vampires? Yeah, crowded, but again, the GOOD stuff is easy to distill.

I do think a series dealing with robots would be good, but just reading that concept doesn't give me confidence the helmers of that show "get it".

Now, The Last Resort...again, depends on showrunners, but that is intriguing.
Old January 5 2012, 03:39 AM   #257
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

What would a good robot series be like instead?
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2012, 04:18 AM   #258
JD
Admiral

Oh look, actual news.

ABC picks up Roland Emmerich antichrist drama.

the project, previously referred to as Antichrist, is set in New York City against the backdrop of the Presidential race of 2012. It centers on a young astrophysics student learns his destiny lies not in science but somewhere between Heaven and Hell.
Wow, pretty out there for network fodder...if American Horror Story doesn't have the sense to get Evan Peters back for S2, he's a natural for the lead role.

And what does astrophysics have to do with the topic? Maybe nothing, but it's a fun notion that it might...

EDIT: more news. The Last Resort is close to a pilot order. As I recall, several people liked this concept or at least thought it was interesting.

The Last Resort is a thriller set in the near future when the country is very fractured and revolves around the crew of a U.S. nuclear submarine who become hunted after ignoring an order to shoot nuclear missiles. They escape to a NATO listening outpost where they publicly declare themselves to be the world’s smallest nuclear nation with 24 nuclear warheads. The show explores the society the fugitives create, the natives they meet and how what they’ve done affects the group and its unity.
Not sure if this is sf/f, but it's from Rockne O'Bannon and it's based on his experiences with Farscape fandom, so I'll mention it...

[Cult] centers on an inquisitive, young female production assistant on a wildly popular television show called Cult who, after a rash of disappearances and a likely murder, joins a journalist blogger in investigating the rabid fans of the series who might be re-creating crimes seen on the program in real life.
So far, this is shaping up to be a more interesting than average pilot season. And it's just started.
All three of these sound really interesting to me.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2012, 04:27 AM   #259
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

At first I liked the idea behind Cult, and the fact that O'Bannon is involved, and then I remembered that it's for the CW.
Old January 5 2012, 11:02 AM   #260
stonester1
Rear Admiral

What would a good robot series be like instead?
Again, its not about the concept...I just dont have a good vibe with the showrunners.

Id love another spaceship show. But depending on who is running it, Im not going to automatically believe it is worth my time. This show does sound a bit too much like warmed over Caprica and Blade Runner. They may surprise me...we shall see. Again, it will all depend on the storytelling skills of the showrunners.

I wish it the best, Temis. But I only wish it success if it is GOOD science fiction. Thats all I have time for.
Old January 5 2012, 11:17 AM   #261
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
I'm just pointing out that rather than another version of Caprica, this appears to be the TV version of A.I.
The robots in AI did what they were programmed to do, including learning. Any screw-ups were in their programming. This premise seems to be that the robots develop beyond their programming.
Old January 5 2012, 03:42 PM   #262
Caliburn24
Commodore

Last Resort is looking better and better. Shawn Ryan from The Shield, The Unit, Chicago Code(heck I think he used to work on Angel too) as showrunner. Now Martin Campbell is slated to direct the pilot, which it appears Sony is willing to throw gobs of money at.

Even if it is a failure, it should be a gloriously good looking one.

The plot synopsis still sounds completely wonky, but I'm there for at least the pilot.
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2012, 08:52 PM   #263
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

stonester1 wrote: View Post
I wish it the best, Temis. But I only wish it success if it is GOOD science fiction. Thats all I have time for.
My philosophy is that it's all a crap shoot. The good stuff will be maybe 10% of the total, so if there are only ten shows in total, we only can expect one good show, which is way too little. The fact that there's a lot of sf/f activity overall makes me more optimistic.
Old January 5 2012, 10:12 PM   #264
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Vendiklaus wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
Nothing I'm aware of. I wouldn't expect to hear anything much before the "Upfronts" in late Spring/Early Summer
deadline.com is reporting we may get news in the next week or two, when Fox reveals its plans at the Winter TCA (Television Critics Association) meeting.

deadline.com
Oh, well then, color me surprised, I figured they'd hold off until the last minute

Thanks
It is last minute for Terra Nova. Because of the extensive cgi, it needs to start production much earlier than most shows to have a shot at hitting a Sept premiere. Especially if Fox is thinking about a 20+ episode order.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2012, 01:42 AM   #265
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Caliburn24 wrote: View Post
Last Resort is looking better and better. Shawn Ryan from The Shield, The Unit, Chicago Code(heck I think he used to work on Angel too) as showrunner. Now Martin Campbell is slated to direct the pilot, which it appears Sony is willing to throw gobs of money at.

Even if it is a failure, it should be a gloriously good looking one.

The plot synopsis still sounds completely wonky, but I'm there for at least the pilot.
Agreed. This is a refreshingly odd and different approach for a plot line so I'm willing to give it some leeway.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2012, 05:07 AM   #266
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

"Old Moira" from American Horror Story joins Beautiful People as Amanda Greystone.
[She plays] the very wealthy Lydia...whose late husband founded the firm that makes Mechanicals.
The actress who played Young Moira would make a good android...give the guys something to look at.
Old January 7 2012, 10:55 PM   #267
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

The Last Resort goes to pilot.

Interesting - it's a very unusual-sounding premise and not at all the safe sort of thing. I hope more of the riskier premises go to pilot this year and it's not all sf/f cop shows.

Marcia Gay Harden cast as Isabel lead.
Old January 7 2012, 11:53 PM   #268
AvBaur
Captain

View AvBaur's Twitter Profile

^ Wow, that sounds really cool! I hope we'll get to see it.
Old January 8 2012, 11:27 PM   #269
JD
Admiral

Both of those are good new in my book.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2012, 08:43 AM   #270
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

The Last Resort goes to pilot.

Interesting - it's a very unusual-sounding premise and not at all the safe sort of thing. I hope more of the riskier premises go to pilot this year and it's not all sf/f cop shows.
Sounds cool. I'm glad it's on ABC instead of CBS. They screwed up with Jericho and ABC has a better track record with more sci-fi shows