RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,699
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 729
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old January 1 2012, 12:08 PM   #16
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

Re: The Light

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
I think you would find your advice taken more seriously by people, or at least met witth less resistance and dismissal, if you phrased it more politely. If you're rude, no one will give a damn what you say even when it's good advice; you'll just end up treated like you don't exist.
You're confusing rude with direct I'm afraid. People with delicate sensibilities can often make that mistake, believing that a person is being rude and aggressive when in fact they are simply speaking to them in a candid manner.

It would also help if you learn to include what you like as well as what you don't like.
I've make plenty of supportive posts praising people's work as well as making critical posts which you have misconstrued as "rude", however you clearly wish to cherry-pick certain ones that support your agenda.

The stuff I like, I say I like. The stuff I don't like, I say I don't like.

You're just paying more attention to the second option than the first.

And if this all-criticism post rankles, now you know how abrasive your own style is to others.
Absolutely, your all criticism post has left me devastated.

But to conclude, the answer to whatever issues you have with my posting-style lies in my signature.
Old January 1 2012, 04:02 PM   #17
Ln X
Fleet Captain

I think you would find your advice taken more seriously by people, or at least met witth less resistance and dismissal, if you phrased it more politely. If you're rude, no one will give a damn what you say even when it's good advice; you'll just end up treated like you don't exist. It would also help if you learn to include what you like as well as what you don't like.

And if this all-criticism post rankles, now you know how abrasive your own style is to others.
Don't mess with Santaval, I like a person who speaks his mind, and he has reviewed some of my stuff, and he does have good points to make. Santaval is fair, and don't confuse directness with bias or troll-like behaviour. He has a knack for making good points, and sometimes a good point is lost if you are doing your utmost to be as polite as possible. To sum up Santaval does objective and constructive critisism.

Caption contest: DS9
Ln X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2012, 06:46 PM   #18
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

Ln X wrote: View Post
Santaval is fair, and don't confuse directness with bias or troll-like behaviour. He has a knack for making good points, and sometimes a good point is lost if you are doing your utmost to be as polite as possible. To sum up Santaval does objective and constructive critisism.
Come now LnX, posting such common-sense and objective opinions on my style of feedback will ruin my reputation as the scourge of the Fanfic Forum...
Old January 1 2012, 08:14 PM   #19
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

A good point is not lost by being polite. Rather, a good point is more likely to be absorbed if it is put in a tactful manner. Moreover, someone who is polite is more able to engage in a two-sided conversation with people, where the whys and wherefores of both the pros and the cons can be explored in far more in-depth manner than being rude.

But since both of you have yet to learn that, then I'm afraid you're not going to be likely to enjoy such a pleasant experience with people--the only actual two-way conversations will be with people who will reply by getting into fisticuffs, which I shall sit back and enjoy greatly, to see the two of you getting a taste of your own bitter medicine.
Old January 1 2012, 08:56 PM   #20
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

But since both of you have yet to learn that, then I'm afraid you're not going to be likely to enjoy such a pleasant experience with people--the only actual two-way conversations will be with people who will reply by getting into fisticuffs, which I shall sit back and enjoy greatly, to see the two of you getting a taste of your own bitter medicine.
Okey doke, you sit back and wait for that then.

It's a bit difficult for me to get particularly interested if I'm honest but if waiting for that makes you happy or will be some sort of wish-fulfilment for you then that's fine with me.

Although I would, for the second time, advise you to do what my signature suggests in future since you evidently dislike what I say and/or how I say it. This would, in my opinion, be the best option for you rather than posting these little rants about my posting style that inevitably fall on deaf ears.

All the best.
Old January 2 2012, 12:19 AM   #21
Ln X
Fleet Captain

Santaval wrote: View Post
Santaval is fair, and don't confuse directness with bias or troll-like behaviour. He has a knack for making good points, and sometimes a good point is lost if you are doing your utmost to be as polite as possible. To sum up Santaval does objective and constructive critisism.
Come now LnX, posting such common-sense and objective opinions on my style of feedback will ruin my reputation as the scourge of the Fanfic Forum...
Sorry about that...

Caption contest: DS9
Ln X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2012, 05:17 PM   #22
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

Sorry about that...
So you should be.

How dare you jeopardise my reputation as scourge of the Fanfic Forum!