Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 8 2011, 01:32 AM   #121
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: Isaac Asimov?

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
Klaus wrote: View Post
Whelan and Frazetta are my favorite sf/f artists as well... Though I do have a nostalgic fondness for the exceedingly-old-school covers they had in my youth:

This is the set that I have, too. I inherited it from my dad.

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
This is one of the best covers of all time:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-me...=setImg&page=0
Ah, yes, Whelan's cover for the paperback edition of Foundation's Edge. Never did have any idea what the cover meant in relation to the novel's story. Doesn't stop me from loving it, though.
According to Whelan's site, Asimov said this about that cover: "It seems to me to be rather marvelous to be able to illustrate not a concrete scene but an abstract imponderable, and in such a way that it seems to brighten and deepen the book even to the writer himself."

The only problem I had with the cover is that it made me imagine a book so amazing and epic I don't think it could have been written.
There's nothing that moves in that painting(at least to the visible eye)...but the whole thing looks like there is motion or a sense of depth that's pretty astounding.
Old July 8 2011, 02:13 AM   #122
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

timothy wrote: View Post
I know there the four R. daniels novels. I was just wondering what are the other robot books and is there a reading order?
The reading order is today much debated, with some people favoring the publication order and others favoring the internal chronological order.

For a number of reasons, I don't think that internal chronological order works for first-timers, as certain developments get spoiled way too early.

The robot novels should be read in order -- Caves, Naked Sun, The Robots of Dawn, Robots and Empire. You can read I, Robot before, in the middle, or after, even though that book takes place very early. The other robot short stories you can read at almost any time; they have little direct bearing on the Foundation mythos.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2011, 02:19 AM   #123
Santa Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Santa Klaus's Twitter Profile

^^Publication order is definitely the way to go IMHO...
Santa Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2011, 04:37 AM   #124
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

is there a list for either order?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2011, 11:25 AM   #125
Australis
Writer

When people say 'Asimov covers", I immediately think of...

"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2011, 11:33 AM   #126
ITElf
Vice Admiral

^ I had those!
Old December 23 2011, 07:38 PM   #127
timothy
Rear Admiral

now just curious has any one read:

isaac asimov's robot city
isaac asimov's robot's and aliens
isaac asimov's robot's in time

Old December 23 2011, 08:44 PM   #128
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

isaac asimov's robot city
isaac asimov's robot's and aliens
I read these when they came out and liked them. They were fun, but they weren't always true to Asimov's world and they did a number of things that I thought were "end runs" around the Three Laws. Still, I liked the ideas in the books. I prefer the first six books (the Robot City) books to the last six (Robots and Aliens). The characters return in four mystery novels published by iBooks about a decade ago, three by Mark Teidemann and one by Alex Irvine.

isaac asimov's robot's in time
I didn't enjoy this series a great deal. I found them tedious and the writing was juvie-level. However, that turns out to be what the author was going for, and the publisher marketed them otherwise.

allyngibson.net
Old December 23 2011, 11:41 PM   #129
timothy
Rear Admiral

ibooks? is that anything like e books, also looking for foundation's friends.

Old December 24 2011, 12:25 AM   #130
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

No, iBooks was a publishing company of Byron Preiss' before his death. Preiss was the packager behind the Robot City books back in the 80s.

Foundation's Friends was okay. I'd recommend getting the trade paperback edition -- it has more material than the hardcover and mass market editions. Most of the stories aren't anything great, but Orson Scott Card's "The Originist" is very good.

allyngibson.net
Old December 24 2011, 10:42 AM   #131
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

The Caliban trilogy was pretty decent.
Old December 30 2011, 01:29 AM   #132
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

There's a new Susan Calvin novel out in hardcover, I Robot: To Protect, by Mickey Zucker Reichert.

First in an all-new trilogy inspired by Isaac Asimov's legendary science fiction collection I, Robot.

2035: Susan Calvin is beginning her residency at a Manhattan teaching hospital, where a select group of patients is receiving the latest in diagnostic advancements: tiny nanobots, injected into the spinal fluid, that can unlock and map the human mind.

Soon, Susan begins to notice an ominous chain of events surrounding the patients. When she tries to alert her superiors, she is ignored by those who want to keep the project far from any scrutiny for the sake of their own agenda. But what no one knows is that the very technology to which they have given life is now under the control of those who seek to spread only death...

allyngibson.net
Old December 30 2011, 01:46 AM   #133
Christopher
Writer

Well, that sounds rather revisionist.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2011, 03:03 AM   #134
Peak
Fleet Captain

Which should make it fit rather well into the Robot/Empire/Foundation-series. Even Asimov started it after all when he joined everything together..

Unfortunately, there's not much good to say of the books that have been written by other authors. I do still would like a book set after "Foundation and Earth" which

My DVDs
Peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2011, 03:23 AM   #135
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

Peak wrote: View Post
Unfortunately, there's not much good to say of the books that have been written by other authors.
I disagree. Yes, Greg Benford's Foundation's Fear is not very good (it has some good ideas, but they're not Asimovian ideas or developed in an Asimovian way), but Greg Bear's Foundation and Chaos was solid and David Brin's Foundation's Triumph was easily the best official Foundation novel since Foundation's Edge. (I have to qualify that. Donald Kingsbury's Psychohistorical Crisis is actually better, but it's not an official Foundation novel.)

Also, Roger MacBride Allen's Caliban trilogy is excellent. There are a few things I quibble with, but the storytelling is good, the characters are well drawn, and the writing is top-notch.

Peak wrote: View Post
I do still would like a book set after "Foundation and Earth" which

allyngibson.net