Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 24 2011, 11:04 PM   #961
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital
Re: Movies Seen in 2011

Machine Gun Preacher - free screenin'
The Ides of March - free screenin'
Real Steel - free screenin'
127 Hours - HBO on Demand
Fireflies in the Garden - free screenin'
The Thing (2011) - free screenin'
The Crow: City of Angels - Netflix Instant
Poltergiest II: The Other Side - Netflix Instant
Poltergiest III - Netflix Instant
The Way - free screenin'
Beneath the Planet of the Apes - HBO Family
Escape from the Planet of the Apes - HBO Family
Conquest of the Planet of the Apes - HBO Family
Knight and Day - More Max/Cinemax
The Last Man on Earth - AMC on Demand
The Kids are Alright - Cinemax on Demand
The Rite - HBO
Unstoppable - HBO on Demand
Psycho (1960)- Cinemax on Demand
Psycho III - Cinemax on Demand
Jeepers Creepers - FLIX on Demand
Black Sunday - Cinemax
John Carpenter's Halloween - AMC
Halloween III: Season of the Witch - AMC
Psycho II - Cinemax
Land of the Dead - HBO Zone
Psycho (1998) - DVD
The Muppets - theater
Death at a Funeral (2007) - DVD
The Frighteners: Director's Cut - DVD
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows - theater
Good Luck Chuck - DVD
Transformers: Dark of the Moon - DVD
Kentucky Fried Movie - DVD
Amazon Women on the Moon - DVD
Meet the Fockers - DVD

Went into Blockbuster the other night, and couldn't figure out what I wanted to watch, so I just grabbed the third Transformers movie.

It sucked worse than the second one, but at least they didn't show Jon Tutorro's ass this time.

Swiped some movies from my friend D's entertainment center, stuff I hadn't seen before. KFM & AWotM are both just collections of skits & such, though KFM does have a pretty good kung fu parody that runs about twenty minutes or so right in the middle of it.

MtF was about as bad as I expected it to be, but at least it wasn't Greg constantly diggin' his own grave like in the first movie. And Duston Hoffman was pretty funny in it. Not sure if I'll ever watch the third one or not...

I was hopin' to get to the theater this weekend, for MI Ghost Protocal or The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, but doesn't look like that'll happen 'til New Year's....

Last edited by od0_ital; December 24 2011 at 11:19 PM.
od0_ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2011, 03:22 AM   #962
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

50/50 (2011) ✭✭✭✭

Just a really well-done heartfelt film. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is one of the greatest actors of all time.
Old December 27 2011, 03:42 AM   #963
CaptainCanada
Admiral

180. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (A-)
181. 50/50 (B+)
182. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (A-)
183. The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn (A)
184. War Horse (B+)

The ticket I bought insists that this movie is "The War Horse", but I'll be having none of that.

Spielberg's other movie of the year, based on a successful Broadway play based on a children's book. When this movie was announced I was kind of expecting Spielberg to do this in the style of Saving Private Ryan, but this is a much tamer depiction of war than that, which, given the aforesaid children's book source, is perhaps appropriate. This is rated PG-13, but it's pretty close to the PG side of the scale; there's nothing here that I think would be problematic for younger viewers.

Spielberg often gets knocked for being sentimental, and if you tend to think that of his films, you probably won't like this, because it is unabashedly sentimental. But I find there's a rather pernicious tendency to associate bleak cynicism with profundity these days, one I don't buy into (not that it can't be). Spielberg's warm humanism is well-suited to a story about World War I, I think, given how grey the whole thing was.

Nevertheless, it's not perfect. Firstly, the main character is a horse, which is a bit limiting; the human characters appearance in a series of fairly effective vignettes, and all have likeable and interesting elements, but none have that much screentime. Also, Albert (played by Jeremy Irvine doing what feels like a riff on Sean Astin as Samwise Gamgee), the horse's owner and the human with the most screentime, is probably the least interesting of the various humans we encounter.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2011, 05:46 AM   #964
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

106. Fireproof: A-
107. Mission Impossible(4):Ghost Protocol: A
108. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: A
109. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows: A-
110. Belly: D-

This urban movie about some mid/late 20 somethings trying to make a name for themselves in NYC is horrid. It stars an eclectic group of people from the hip hop world. The year is 1999 and covers most of the year. The narrative is jumpy and some scenes are there just cause they probably sounded good on paper. If you like to see black men use the word bitch, hoe, ni**ger and f*&k all in the same sentence and multiple times during a speech then this film is for you. It doesn't even come off as natural, that's what compounds the "reality" of this movie. It's as if by saying the 'n' word in multiple ways somehow makes the "black experience" unique and wholly owning of the word. It's bad, really bad and the grade is generous. There are about two scenes, the last with the minister especially, that save it from being an out-and-out 'F' grade. I'm hoping that final scene with the minister was about getting through to young black men that drugs, guns and anger isn't what your life has to be about, despite what we as rappers(the stars of the movie) sing about.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2011, 02:29 AM   #965
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

Bridesmaids (2011) ✭✭ 1/2

I was under the impression that this was going to be the Female Hangover, a raunchy laugh-out-loud comedy, the humorous movie of the year. I was extremely disappointed. It's about 30 minutes too long and has long stretches where it's humorless. I did laugh out loud a couple of times at some of Kristen Wiig's meltdowns, but overall I don't see what all the fuss is about.
Old December 28 2011, 04:19 AM   #966
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates in Bold:

Adieu Galaxy Express 999 (8)
The Adjustment Bureau (8)
Afro Samurai: Resurrection (7)
Aquarian Age: Juvenile Orion (4)
Arashi no Yoru ni (One Stormy Night) (7)
Armored Trooper Votoms: Alone Again (7)
Armored Trooper Votoms: Finder (8)
Babylon 5: A Call to Arms (8)
Babylon 5: River of Souls (7)
Babylon 5: Thirdspace (7)
Beverly Hills Cop (7)
Beverly Hills Cop 2 (6)
Beverly Hills Cop 3 (7)
Blue Remains (6)
Black Swan (9)
Bleach Movie 4: Hell Chapter (9)
Broken Blade 3: The Mark of the Assassin's Dagger (9)
Broken Blade 4: The Land of Disaster (9)
Broken Blade 5: Death's Horizon (9)
Broken Blade 6: Bastions of Sorrow (9)
Captain America: The First Avenger (8)
Coicent (10)
Cowboys and Aliens (8)
Cutthroat Island (9)
The Debt (8)
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (9)
Drive Angry (7)
Evangelion 2.22: You Can (Not) Advance (9)
Five Numbers (9)
Gantz (9)
Godkiller (6)
Green Lantern (8)
Hanna (8)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (8)
Honey and Clover (6)
I Am Number Four (8)
Immortals (7)
Infernal Affairs (7)
Kamui (4)
Galaxy Express 999 (9)
The Garden of Sinners Movie 8: Epilogue (9)
Loups=Garous (8)
Macross Frontier: The Wings of Goodbye (9)
Mardock Scramble: The First Compression (9)
The Mechanic (2011) (9)
Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (8)
Mobile Suit Gundam 00: Awakeening of the Trailblazer (8)
Munto: The Movie (6)
Musashi Miyamoto (6)
Outlander (8)
Pirates of the Caribean: On Stranger Tides (9)
Priest (5)
Real Steel (8)
Rise of the Planet of the Apes (9)
Scream 4 (6)
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (9)
Source Code (9)
Super 8 (8)
Tekken: Blood Vengence (4)
Thor (9)
Three Musketeers, The (2011) (5)
Time of Eve (10)
Transformers: Dark of the Moon (9)
Trigun: Badlands Rumble (8)
Unknown (7)
Urusei Yatsura Movie 1: Only You (8)
Urusei Yatsura Movie 2: Beautiful Dreamer (9)
Urusei Yatsura Movie 3: Remember My Love (8)
Urusei Yatsura Movie 4: Lum the Forever (7)
Urusei Yatsura Movie 5: The Final Chapter (8)
Urusei Yatsura Movie 6: Always My Darling (8)
Versus (6)
X-Men: First Class (8)
Your Highness (3)

Total So Far: 74
Old December 28 2011, 07:25 PM   #967
CaptainCanada
Admiral

181. 50/50 (B+)
184. War Horse (B+)
185. Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (A-)

Brad Bird is as good at action in live action as he is in animation, so this is a very fun film. All the major setpieces are handled superbly, and the cast is in top form, which all the team members given a good showing (and Paula Patton looks stunning in that green dress). Some of the stunts are incredible. The only thing that really holds this back from being a real action classic is the uninteresting villains.

- Homer Simpson
Old December 28 2011, 08:33 PM   #968
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

1. Alice in Wonderland (2010) - C-
2. Exit Through the Gift Shop (2010) - A
3. Black Swan (2010) - A+
4. The Social Network (2010) - A
5. Cannibal! The Musical (1996) - B
6. Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire (2009) - B
7. Winter's Bone (2010) - C+
8. The Kids are All Right (2010) - A
9. The Lovely Bones (2009) - D
10. 127 Hours (2010) - A
11. Source Code (2011) - B
12. Kick-Ass (2010) - B
13. Thor (2011) - B+
14. X-Men: First Class (2011) - B
15. Easy A (2010) - B
16. Bridesmaids (2011) - A+
17. Super 8 (2011) - B+
18. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 (2010) - B-
19. Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) - B+
20. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 (2011) - B
21. Robin Hood (2010) - B-
22. Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011) - B
23. The Adjustment Bureau (2011) - B-
24. Moneyball (2011) - B+
25. The Lion King (1994) - A+
26. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (2011) - B+

I did watch a movie last week, but didn't really write about it. Actually in following this thread this year I have to wonder how the heck you guys have so much time to watch movies. I mean this is the 26th movie I've seen this year (Other than maybe clips of movies I see on TV/HBO) and you guys watch like 200-500 movies. That's a lot of movies.

Anyway, MI was a great movie, but I felt it kind of dragged a bit. For example, did the sand storm scene need to be that long? It could have been cut some and there were other scenes like it that could have been done better with better editing. Other than that I really liked it and it was great to see another movie in the Mission Impossible franchise.
Old December 28 2011, 09:16 PM   #969
Harvey
Admiral

199. Win Win (B)
200. The Beaver (B)

Win Win: A solid effort from writer-director Tom McCarthy, this movie (which is about an unsuccessful lawyer who coaches a wrestling team) works thanks to the actors involved, especially Paul Giamatti and Amy Ryan. The only real weak link is the child actor who plays a teenager that unexpectedly comes into the life of Giamatti's character -- and he's still okay.

The Beaver: It's a shame that Mel Gibson is a racist asshole, because this film (directed by Jodie Foster, who also co-stars) is rather good, as is his performance. But, due to his shenanigans off the screen, it never found an audience (it probably didn't help that the movie was advertised as a comedy, but is actually much darker than the trailers suggest). Anton Yelchin is good as Gibson's oldest son, although Foster doesn't leave much of an impression as his wife (still, her direction is excellent; hopefully she gets to direct another movie without Gibson's baggage soon). A couple of scenes don't reach the notes their aiming for (Foster, like many actor-directors, isn't particularly good at directing herself), but for the most part it works.

Also, the objections that appeared on this site a year ago about how a psychiatrist would never suggest the "treatment" pursued in the movie are clearly addressed in the movie. To be brief, Gibson's character of Walter Black makes it all up to cope with his depression; no doctor is involved.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2011, 10:12 PM   #970
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Actually in following this thread this year I have to wonder how the heck you guys have so much time to watch movies. I mean this is the 26th movie I've seen this year (Other than maybe clips of movies I see on TV/HBO) and you guys watch like 200-500 movies. That's a lot of movies.
My tally is going to be 111-113 depending on what time I make available in these closing days but even with my total there are some that have doubled me. I do laundry about once every 3 weeks so I have 5-6 loads to fold. Ergo I can watch about 2 movies while I do this. Still that's just on a three week cycle. I don't watch broadcast TV with any regularity. I only make time for about 2 shows The Office and Big Bang Theory. So, when I come home I watch a Netflix streaming or disc. I could've watched more movies but I alternate my viewing with TV shows on DVD. I've watched all of nuBSG, Farscape, TruCalling, Castle S1, Vampire Dairies to date, 5-6 Animated cartoon shows this year as well. Also have rewatched a number of movies that I just love. Otherwise I'm sure my total would be well past 150 for sure.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2011, 10:42 PM   #971
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

I'm going to have seen about 75 movies that were new to me, with probably 25 movies that were rewatches.
Old December 28 2011, 11:29 PM   #972
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I think I've seen about ten or eleven films from this year...less than I usually do. Have no idea how many additional viewings from television or DVD.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2011, 01:01 AM   #973
CaptainCanada
Admiral

181. 50/50 (B+)
184. War Horse (B+)
186. We Bought A Zoo (A-)

Cameron Crowe returns to the big screen after an absence of six years and what was a fairly disappointing decade. For his return he's opted for an Americanized adaptation of a memoir about a widower and his children buying and operating a zoo. This a family film, which makes you a bit wary, but families deserve good movies too, and this is a pretty successful one; I think it works better, overall, than War Horse did, which is probably the closest comparison in theatres right now. Like most people raised on The Simpsons, I have a healthy amount of cynicism, but this is a fairly sunny movie done right (though there's a lot less irreverence than in many of Crowe's other movies). I also identify with the depiction of the aftermath of a parent's death, something which has been depicted a number of times onscreen this year; the emotions feel real.

The cast is great, though I will say that this feels like there was a much longer movie in here that Crowe had to edit down, particularly with regard to some of the supporting characters on the zoo staff (which would be particularly unsurprising if you've seen how much was cut from, say, Almost Famous). I'm increasingly of the opinion that Matt Damon is the best leading man of his generation; DiCaprio arguably has a better filmography, but Damon has range far greater than the niche that DiCaprio seems to prefer these days. There's virtually no genre Damon isn't willing to try and doesn't work well in. The two actors playing his kids are both fine (the girl manages to mostly not be annoyingly cutesy, which is an achievement for a single-digit child in a family film). Scarlett Johansson does a nice job as the head zookeeper/sort-of love interest (the film sensibly recognizes that Damon's character isn't really ready to move on yet, but she's clearly on the horizon when he is). Elle Fanning delivers another strong performance in what has been a wonderful year for her; she's a distinctly different presence than her sister, and a very welcome one (I continue to be amused by how tall she is; she looks older than both the teenaged boys she's been cast opposite this year, even though she's two years younger than both of them; this movie even calls attention to it).

And that's it for me and the cinemas this year.

- Homer Simpson
Old December 29 2011, 02:56 AM   #974
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Machine Gun Preacher - free screenin'
The Ides of March - free screenin'
Real Steel - free screenin'
127 Hours - HBO on Demand
Fireflies in the Garden - free screenin'
The Thing (2011) - free screenin'
The Crow: City of Angels - Netflix Instant
Poltergiest II: The Other Side - Netflix Instant
Poltergiest III - Netflix Instant
The Way - free screenin'
Beneath the Planet of the Apes - HBO Family
Escape from the Planet of the Apes - HBO Family
Conquest of the Planet of the Apes - HBO Family
Knight and Day - More Max/Cinemax
The Last Man on Earth - AMC on Demand
The Kids are Alright - Cinemax on Demand
The Rite - HBO
Unstoppable - HBO on Demand
Psycho (1960)- Cinemax on Demand
Psycho III - Cinemax on Demand
Jeepers Creepers - FLIX on Demand
Black Sunday - Cinemax
John Carpenter's Halloween - AMC
Halloween III: Season of the Witch - AMC
Psycho II - Cinemax
Land of the Dead - HBO Zone
Psycho (1998) - DVD
The Muppets - theater
Death at a Funeral (2007) - DVD
The Frighteners: Director's Cut - DVD
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows - theater
Good Luck Chuck - DVD
Transformers: Dark of the Moon - DVD
Kentucky Fried Movie - DVD
Amazon Women on the Moon - DVD
Meet the Fockers - DVD
Shrek the Third - DVD
Stir of Echoes - DVD
Super Mario Bros. - DVD
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - DVD

I have now seen all four Shrek films. First one is still the best.

SoE was better than I expected, but wasn't really scary to me...and I really hated the DVD menus.

SMB was gawd awful, as expected.

Started to watch FaLiLV this afternoon, but got interrupted about midway through...I'll finish it later tonight.
Old December 29 2011, 05:11 PM   #975
Agent Richard07
Admiral

You Don't Know Jack: Al Pacino did a great job playing Dr. Jack Kevorkian. This was one of the few times where I didn't feel like I was watching Al Pacino.

The Book of Eli: I didn't like the color scheme with brown skies and whatnot, but otherwise, this was a really good post-apocalyptic movie.

Find Me Guilty: The movie was long and tedious, but Vin Diesel gave a great dramatic and comedic performance and he was fun to watch.

Harvey wrote: View Post
193. The Happening (F)

The Happening: I'm appalled that Roger Ebert gave this abortion of a movie three stars. The acting is horrible (Mark Whalberg is terribly miscast as a science teacher, although the rest of the cast is pretty bad, too), the direction is mediocre, the score is unmemorable, and the writing is more awful than words can describe. This doesn't even begin to approach the way the movie treats science and scientists, who constantly state in the movie that the universe is not explainable.
I still enjoy Shyamalan's movies and liked this one despite the earnest acting and unpolished look.

BlazePin wrote: View Post
Just watched "Team America". Pretty awesome
Loved the overdone sex scene.

LitmusDragon wrote: View Post
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - B. Pretty good anime which mixes some serious themes about the consequences of time travel with some fairly typical coming-of-age stuff. Has a couple of memorable plot twists.
I want to see this one.

Harvey wrote: View Post
199. Win Win (B)
200. The Beaver (B)
I'm looking forward to seeing these too.

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
181. 50/50 (B+)
184. War Horse (B+)
186. We Bought A Zoo (A-)
Lucky you. I wanted to see some of those but I've been too sick over the last three weeks to go to the movies.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote