RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Members: 24,819
Currently online: 460
Newest member: Werner Bitterli

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 22 2011, 05:10 AM   #76
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Re: Brad Bird all but confirmed as "Mission: Impossible IV" director

Wow! Freaking wow! I loved practically every second of this film. It's the best in the series by a wide margin. The action scenes are incredible and original. The sequence on the skyscraper in Dubai especially needs the be seen to be believed. It's the most impressive action sequence I've seen this year, or for many years. The only reason the later sequence in the vertical car park isn't more impressive is because it's following that. There's just one excellent action sequence after another.

Then there's another major element to the film that I really wasn't expecting: the humor. This is a really, really funny movie. But it works. The humor never ever seems intrusive, is always perfectly timed, and is actually laugh out loud funny. This movie goes the whole mile when it comes to entertaining.

The only thing I could possibly gripe about is that the villain and his evil plot are from the cliche book. It's essentially just the "madman steals a nuclear weapon and wants to blow up the world" plot, but who cares? This movie is so astonishingly entertaining that the routine plot just doesn't matter. Do NOT miss this one. It's the best damn time at the movies I've had all year, and I've had a damn good time at the movies this year.
Old December 22 2011, 02:07 PM   #77
Dream
Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I remember reading some time ago that there were rumours of a MI:5 in the early planning stages. This might have changed of course but I wouldn't be surprised if Cruise did one more.
If they do any more they should get started quickly, but ending the franchise with this movie on a high note seems like a good way to go.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2011, 07:43 PM   #78
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Liked MI4, but I didn't think it was better than the third film. The positives were the big action set pieces, Simon Pegg's expanded role added some humor (though some of it didn't work for me), and Paula Patton. Tom Cruise is also in amazing shape. The threat was clearer than in #3, but I liked Owen Davian's character better than Hendricks. For one, Hendricks barely had any dialogue at all-it was an extreme of case of tell, not show. Though I did enjoy how he lunged to his end, that fanatical look on his face conveyed a lot about him. The female assassin Moreau left more of an impression. Hendrick's henchmen wasn't bad either.

I don't think Renner added much to the film. At first I was thinking that Cruise was passing the torch, and maybe that was in the intention. If so I don't think the movie set him up well. He needed help taking out Hendricks' underling in the end and the main thing that stood out about him, his tortured soul, was resolved-a bit too easily IMO-at the end of the film. Watching the film, I didn't get the feeling that Cruise is going to be hanging up this franchise anytime soon. And why should he, if its profitable and he can handle the physical demands.

What I was hoping for was that he would be Jim Phelps, Jr., and take the reins over from Cruise-putting a Phelps back at the lead of the series. Oh well.

Few gripes:
-How did Hendricks tap into the IMF's communications? Was there another IMF mole? I can see why they might not want to go there since that has been a plot/subplot in every film thus far, but why not break with tradition.
-Why did Hendricks impersonate his own underling in Dubai? Was it an issue that he didn't trust the man or no one else with the info? So little was done with his character that that move didn't make much sense. I took it as an attempt to make it a mano-a-mano thing with Cruise.
-Cruise's hunches were a bit too much on the mark. It definitely didn't make sense for all of those soldiers to fire at his decoy. It seems they would've fired in the opposite direction of the decoy, or had some firing in all directions. They had enough troops to do that. His second hunch with the Indian mogul was more tolerable, because they did play the guy up as an eccentric.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2011, 03:08 PM   #79
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I saw this last night and really enjoyed it, probably the second best of the series (I'd rank the first one at the top.) Lots of cool scenes (the "holo-wall" scene, the wall-climbing scene, the parking-garage disc-changer scene, the Indian playboy scene), there was a lot more espionage and sneaking around in this movie than there have been in the previous two.

This one worked very well for me, I think Simon Pegg did very well, Tom Cruise was tolerable (which is the most likable he's been for me in ages), and pretty much the entire cast did very well.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2011, 07:34 PM   #80
davejames
Vice Admiral

DarKush wrote: View Post
Liked MI4, but I didn't think it was better than the third film. The positives were the big action set pieces, Simon Pegg's expanded role added some humor (though some of it didn't work for me), and Paula Patton. Tom Cruise is also in amazing shape. The threat was clearer than in #3, but I liked Owen Davian's character better than Hendricks.
Agreed. Hoffman's twisted, diabolical villain was lightyears more interesting than this one was, and his face-offs with Cruise were just electric.

Few gripes:
-Cruise's hunches were a bit too much on the mark. It definitely didn't make sense for all of those soldiers to fire at his decoy. It seems they would've fired in the opposite direction of the decoy, or had some firing in all directions. They had enough troops to do that. His second hunch with the Indian mogul was more tolerable, because they did play the guy up as an eccentric.
The flare thing I thought made some kind of strange sense. Those soldiers are probably operating mostly on instinct, and if they see something moving, they're gonna shoot at it.

But there were a LOT of other contrivances in this movie-- the idea of these expert assassins going to a meeting with no idea what someone looks like, the fact no one else walked in while Hunt and Benji were doing their hallway trick, the fact Benji can so easily sneak into these underground control rooms or next to sensitive areas...
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2011, 09:24 PM   #81
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
The flare thing I thought made some kind of strange sense. Those soldiers are probably operating mostly on instinct, and if they see something moving, they're gonna shoot at it.

But there were a LOT of other contrivances in this movie-- the idea of these expert assassins going to a meeting with no idea what someone looks like, the fact no one else walked in while Hunt and Benji were doing their hallway trick, the fact Benji can so easily sneak into these underground control rooms or next to sensitive areas...
I agree with the flare thing and actually enjoyed Brant trying to make sense of it(for the viewer?).

We could make off screen excuses I suppose for the other stuff. High profile people like this work on reputation and paranoia so as Kaiser Sose says, "the devil only sticks his head out once"(or rarely). Email, texts, other drops work better because the fewer people you meet the fewer that could betray you? The Hallway trick? Benji already had control of the building. Perhaps he locked stairwell doors and elevators so no one could come to those floors AND locked any room doors to prevent access into the hallway. As for Benji getting into sensitive areas we just assume he's as good at his area of expertise as Hunt is at his.

Or we just suspend disbelief, whichever is easier.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2011, 09:59 AM   #82
AFEK ESLCAFE W
Lieutenant Commander

There was a little spy film called The Saint that was released back in '97 that got a lot of critical drubbing for not being faithful to its original source material and the fact that the main character's elaborate disguises did not pass the mustard upon closer scruitny.

I say the same when it comes to M:I-4 and consider this film to be a bar below the film I mentioned above. Now the original M:I was intelligent and set a new bar for spy thrillers until The Bourne Series (In particular, The Bourne Ultimatum) came along and topped and blew away everything else that came before it in terms of execution and technique.

I rank the original film and the 3rd one above this one, but would rather catch this one on a rainy day than the 2nd one which has sat on my DVD shelf unwatched all these years. To tell you the truth, the entire Bourne Series and even Val Kilmer's The Saint blow this one out of the water -- Which is pretty sad, but what can you pretty much say about the lack of quality of your typical summer/winter popcorn flicks nowadays? The tower climb was inspiring, but all the "gadget glitches" pretty much felt "meh" at their failed attempts at comedy.

I do have a question, though:

Was there a stinger after the end credits or was Ethan vanishing into the darkness the final shot of this film?
AFEK ESLCAFE W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2011, 08:16 PM   #83
davejames
Vice Admiral

Well yeah, I agree the Bourne movies are of a much higher quality, but they're also done in a very different style than the Mission: Impossible movies.

M:I is clearly supposed to be a bit more comic booky and tongue-in-cheek (much like the TV series it sprang from), and I think works perfectly well that way.
Old December 26 2011, 08:58 PM   #84
Christopher
Writer

davejames wrote: View Post
M:I is clearly supposed to be a bit more comic booky and tongue-in-cheek (much like the TV series it sprang from), and I think works perfectly well that way.
Actually the M:I movies are virtually nothing like the TV series. They have practically nothing in common beyond a few catchphrases. The series wasn't "comic booky and tongue-in-cheek" at all. There were other '60s spy shows that fit that description, notably The Man from U.N.C.L.E. and The Avengers, but M:I wasn't one of them. It was generally a very serious, matter-of-fact, procedural-style show about a group of very cool, dispassionate professionals carrying out complex, methodical schemes through carefully planned deceptions, methodical hard work, and clockwork timing. It wasn't a star vehicle for a single action hero, but an ensemble show where all the team members had their own roles to play and their own personalities were almost perpetually subsumed within the false identities they adopted. Its moments of humor were intermittent and generally quite understated, and it was frequently pretty dark for a '60s show, with the protagonists often callously arranging for the villains to kill each other off. And it was about as far as you can get from the frenetic, over-the-top action of the films. They did have occasional chase scenes, fight scenes, and the like, but it tended to focus more on the meticulous planning and step-by-step execution of the team's plots. It was a product of a time when audiences could tolerate a much slower pace to their storytelling. (Although I often think it has a lot in common with CSI, another show that depends heavily on long, dialogue-free sequences of characters doing meticulous, detailed work, with musical accompaniment to keep it from boring the audience. Except the musical style on M:I was very different.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2011, 09:09 PM   #85
nvek86
Commander

AFEK ESLCAFE W wrote: View Post
I do have a question, though:

Was there a stinger after the end credits or was Ethan vanishing into the darkness the final shot of this film?
Hunt disappearing was the final shot. There was no scene after the credits.
nvek86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2011, 05:41 AM   #86
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

So Hunt faked his wife's death so she can go on free living... without him?

I don't quite understand that aspect. Like real-life secret agents wouldn't Hunt have a mundane cover-identity, job and facade to present to the world while between missions or during his down time? If his cover has been compromised then he's no good or use as a secret agent anymore, right? Or is a "common" thing for IMF agents to pretty much put their entire life's goals and ambitions aside to gallivant across the globe from one mission to the next? Surely there isn't enough of a constant stream of missions to take on internationally? There must be times where Hunt and others have to spend time days or even weeks in an office in Langley filling out paperwork, planning and researching missions.

I really liked this movie but that point seemed like an odd one thrown in for the sake of some-sort-of impact. It would have been better had Hunt really lost his wife and simply forgave Jason Bateman's stronger twin for his part in her death. The ending just didn't make much sense to me.

And also, if I am recalling the other movies correctly, I believe this is the first MI movie where the target bad-guy isn't a former or corrupt IMF agent. This time it was a genuine terrorist.

On a nitpicky side of things, it makes some sense their espionage wall had to change its perspective to give the viewer the right image. It sort of reminded me of the Wii/Wiimote way of giving a glasses-less 3D image with head-tracking. (Essentially by reversing the position of the Wiimote and the sensor bar.)

Like we see in MI3 this works only for one person at a time since the system wouldn't be able to show two images at once for multiple viewers. This seems like a bit of a flaw in this IMF device as it pretty much has to rely on the fact the place they need to infiltrate only has the One Inept Guard and no one else will walk through the room (causing the system to freak out.)

It would've made more sense if created a genuine 3D image using the current technology of doing it without glasses -what the newest generation of the Nintendo hand-helds have. And yes that's a technology with its own limitations and flaws but if we're going to accept this head-tracking holo-wall thing and the other IMF technology we're shown (the gloves make little sense on how they'd work) a genuine 3D wall that can support multiple viewers wouldn't be that much more of a stretch than what we were given anyway.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2011, 05:51 PM   #87
davejames
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I really liked this movie but that point seemed like an odd one thrown in for the sake of some-sort-of impact. It would have been better had Hunt really lost his wife and simply forgave Jason Bateman's stronger twin for his part in her death. The ending just didn't make much sense to me.
Well after all Hunt went through in the last movie to save her, they probably felt it would seem cruel just to kill her off in the next one.

And as a big fan of that movie, I kinda have to agree. She had a big role in that, and deserved a better fate than to be killed off screen and wind up in pieces somewhere.
Old December 27 2011, 06:02 PM   #88
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

The whole idea that an IMF agent has an on screen family was messed up to begin with.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2011, 06:19 PM   #89
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

For those getting back into all things MI, movie or tv, I just saw the short lived one season of the '88 reboot attempt at the store last night. It was branded with a sticker "Finally on DVD" just in time to tie into the newest movie no less. Coincidence I'm sure.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2011, 08:29 PM   #90
Aldo
Admiral

I don't expect the movies to be exactly like the show. But each of the previous three films had at least one sequence that payed lip service to the show. In the first one it was the mission at the Embassy that went tits up. In the second one it took place at a race track. And the third one was the sequence in the Vatican.

My question is does this film have at least one sequence like that?