Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old December 28 2011, 10:50 AM   #631
Seven of Five
Commodore

Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

Hope everyone had a brill Christmas/other denomonational holiday!

The Jem'Hadar is excellent at building up the tension. We're slowly introduced to what they are and how bad they are, and then the rug is pulled from under us with Eris at the end. I sort of miss her VORTA SUPERPOWERS!, but it's fine that they didn't go down that route. Was it too comic book-y, perhaps? Which would be odd considering some of places the show would later go to.

I loved how Sisko and Quark had to spend time together too. Sure it a lot of it was enforced, but the pair came to have more respect for each other by the episode's end. Jake and Nog together is always fun, and it's these great character moments that help to give the episode life beyond the incessant portents of Dominion doom.

At the time I watched I knew that big things were in store. I was sort of getting used to the idea of TNG and the Ent-D. For those who can't remember, or don't care enough to remember, I was only just into new (for the time!) Trek. By now I'd watched most of season two of DS9, most of season seven of TNG, which had then returned to season one. I dutifully watched it, as back then I was watching anything Trek related.

I was into Trek just enough to know that when the Jemmies downed a Galaxy class ship, I was very shocked. They really meant business. It was a great end to the season, and the end of an impressive run of very good episodes. I was pretty excited for the next season!

Last edited by Seven of Five; December 28 2011 at 11:01 AM.
Seven of Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2011, 03:53 PM   #632
Admiral Shran
Admiral

Seven Swans a Swimming wrote: View Post
I was into Trek just enough to know that when the Jemmies downed a Galaxy class ship, I was very shocked.
Indeed. I remember watching the preview when the episode first aired and honestly thinking that the Odyssey might have been the Enterprise. Remember, All Good Things... had just aired a few weeks before this and the commercial didn't say which ship it was. It definitely hooked me and I made sure to see the episode the moment it hit the airwaves.
Old December 28 2011, 04:03 PM   #633
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Ln X wrote: View Post
And what was the American alphabet originally? British!
And what was the British alphabet originally? A slight variation on Latin!
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2011, 04:07 PM   #634
Admiral Shran
Admiral

^ Which itself emerged from Old Italic!
Old December 28 2011, 07:19 PM   #635
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Ln X wrote: View Post
Woot! Just watched the three-part discovery of the Dominion story arc! Great stuff, and I'm just waiting for TheGodBen to start reviewing The Search parts 1 and 2.
It'll be a while, I'm currently distracted by shiny things.

defiantfan wrote:
I love that you "inflate" your score on feelings. Keep up the awesome reviews.
I also deflate them based on feelings, especially if that feeling is that I'm wasting my life. Such as what happened with Second Sight.

Admiral Shran wrote: View Post
^ Which itself emerged from Old Italic!
Which was a fine European alphabet.
Old December 29 2011, 03:24 AM   #636
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

the beauty of the "The Jem"Hadar" was that at the time it served as a significant turning point for DS9 overall. The destruction of the Odyssey was important in that it rather loudly proclaimed that TNG is over, and that this show would no longer be following in its mold. So much of the chaff in the first two seasons of DS9 happened because they were trying to have the series follow the format started by TOS and then perfected by TNG. This marked the end of the line for that way of doing things on this show. this episode really marked the end of an era. All good things had just aired thus TNG would no longer be on the air. Soon afterward the Enterprise would be lying in ruins on Veridian III.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2011, 06:41 AM   #637
Paper Moon
Commander

I sort of miss her VORTA SUPERPOWERS!, but it's fine that they didn't go down that route. Was it too comic book-y, perhaps? Which would be odd considering some of places the show would later go to.
I've always wondered if maybe Eris was a member of a "sub-species," as it were, of Vorta, specifically engineered to have fantastic powers? In Weyoun's case, I think Vorta superpowers would have undermined his mission, since it would have undermined his ability to convince Dukat/Sisko/Kira that he was "just like them" and that they were "all on the same side."

So many things left to explore...

By the way, I too agree with what appears to be the consensus: "The Jem'Hadar" = awesome.
Paper Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2011, 12:41 PM   #638
Admiral Shran
Admiral

Paper Moon wrote: View Post
I sort of miss her VORTA SUPERPOWERS!, but it's fine that they didn't go down that route. Was it too comic book-y, perhaps? Which would be odd considering some of places the show would later go to.
I've always wondered if maybe Eris was a member of a "sub-species," as it were, of Vorta, specifically engineered to have fantastic powers? In Weyoun's case, I think Vorta superpowers would have undermined his mission, since it would have undermined his ability to convince Dukat/Sisko/Kira that he was "just like them" and that they were "all on the same side."
That seems to be the general consensus - that Eris was specifically engineered to have those power for the mission, but maybe not as a full-fledged sub-species.
Old December 30 2011, 08:21 PM   #639
DS9 Gal AZ
Captain

^ Yeah, I always got the feeling that the Founders would genetically tinker with the Vorta as needed. Eris could have been one of several Vorta given such abilities for a specific purpose, or she could have been the only Vorta - or heck, the only Vorta clone - to have such powers. For all we know, "Kurrill Prime" was actually a world the Founders conquered, and the people there really did have telekinetic powers, and they just had Eris pose as a Kurrillian rather than go to the trouble of inventing a fictional race.

Eris was a good character. Shame we never saw her again.

Edited to add:
[COLOR=#006cb0]Ronald D. Moore[/COLOR] stated: "Our internal rationale has been that Eris was given this ability for a specific purpose by the Founders (and maybe several other Vorta along with her) and that it is not a normal part of the Vorta "recipe" in the Dominion." ([COLOR=#006cb0]AOL chat[/COLOR], [COLOR=#006cb0]1998[/COLOR])
From Memory Alpha.
Old December 30 2011, 11:19 PM   #640
Skywalker
Admiral

Or maybe all the Vorta were originally supposed to be like that, but then the writers either forgot about it or changed their minds. Shocking, I know.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2011, 12:33 AM   #641
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

That's crazy talk!!!
DonIago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2011, 06:02 AM   #642
Worf'sParmach
Commander

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
How well does this episode work as an introduction for the Dominion? I honestly can't say because I missed it when it first aired and by the time I saw it I already knew a whole bunch about the Dominion.
I did watch it first run and it kind of had an "alien of the week" feel to it, but I'd just come off of watching TNG for years where every alien was "of the week." Trek hadn't done any kind of long term arc, nothing more than a two-parter and since this was the season finale, that's what I was expecting out of it.

This was the first episode of DS9 that I'd ever seen. TNG was ending and I needed a Trek fix. My mom had been watching DS9 from the begining, but I thought the whole "no ship, no Captain" thing was stupid. After watching this episode I was hooked (and in the upcoming seasons DS9 would get both a ship and a Captain).
Old December 31 2011, 07:28 AM   #643
Admiral Shran
Admiral

Hanukkah Solo wrote: View Post
Or maybe all the Vorta were originally supposed to be like that, but then the writers either forgot about it or changed their minds. Shocking, I know.
Blasphemy!
Old January 3 2012, 03:17 PM   #644
Worf'sParmach
Commander

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
the beauty of the "The Jem"Hadar" was that at the time it served as a significant turning point for DS9 overall. The destruction of the Odyssey was important in that it rather loudly proclaimed that TNG is over, and that this show would no longer be following in its mold. So much of the chaff in the first two seasons of DS9 happened because they were trying to have the series follow the format started by TOS and then perfected by TNG. This marked the end of the line for that way of doing things on this show. this episode really marked the end of an era. All good things had just aired thus TNG would no longer be on the air. Soon afterward the Enterprise would be lying in ruins on Veridian III.
Great analysis. I never thought about it like that, but I definitely agree with you.
Old January 6 2012, 04:01 AM   #645
Admiral Shran
Admiral

Echo.... echo.