MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Old December 27 2011, 01:44 PM   #451
Rocketeer
Captain

Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

I don't see any Defari Invasions on the schedule. The easy and medium city missions are do-able solo (if you're prepared to fight borg). Perhaps we should schedule a fleet event when the borg return.
Rocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2011, 01:53 PM   #452
Rocketeer
Captain

There seems to be a big difference between the DOFF system on Tribble and Holodeck. My main character on TTS had approximately 60 Blue and 40 Purple DOFFs. (That's right, no white or green.) I had two additional characters and their ratios were close to this also. Every assignment ended with critical success. On Holodeck, I have 8 characters and none have Purple (except for the TTS bonus items). Only a few characters have one or two Blue. My VA on Holodeck has mainly white DOFFs with a handful of greens. I had a couple of blues but transferred them to another character. From my perspective though, rare is a lot more rare on Holodeck.

I mean I'm okay with that. Just pointing out the difference. The positive side of this is that my TTS bonus items are a lot more valuable to me. It also has me running the Colonization chains for those DOFF rewards. (I'm halfway through on Delta Volanis and Azlesa Expanse)

If you have a question about the DOFF system, post a note or send me an in-game message to @Rocketeer_7 I'll leave you with one tip: Don't waste your colonists on the Relocate Colonists To Federation Borders assignment. Save them for the Colonial chain assignments.
//

Last edited by Rocketeer; December 27 2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old December 27 2011, 02:38 PM   #453
syberghost
Commander

View syberghost's Twitter Profile

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
You do realise that the Jem hadar ship is gone after the winter event and which is the only way to get it, right?
Considering the amount of work necessary to make a player ship, you should probably insert the word "now" between "right" and the question mark, because there will almost certainly be future opportunities to obtain this ship.
syberghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2011, 02:54 PM   #454
Aeolusdallas
Captain

Rocketeer wrote: View Post
My daughter was trying to get the ingredients for the frosty boots. I ran the race twice and got a green and blue box. I was able to give the green to her, but the blue was bound. I opened the blue and of course it had what she needed but everything from the package was bound to my character. Fortunately the green box has the same contents and she was able to get her boots. So the question is what is the difference between the green and blue boxes other than the blue being bound to your character?
The equipment in blue boxes is either blue or purple as opposed to green items in green boxes.
Aeolusdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2011, 03:39 PM   #455
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

My daughter was trying to get the ingredients for the frosty boots. I ran the race twice and got a green and blue box. I was able to give the green to her, but the blue was bound. I opened the blue and of course it had what she needed but everything from the package was bound to my character. Fortunately the green box has the same contents and she was able to get her boots. So the question is what is the difference between the green and blue boxes other than the blue being bound to your character?
Blue Box has possibly more items and included gear is usually of at least one grade better(at least blue) quality. Green boxes though also have a lesser chance for blue gear, so it might appear the same. (that's what I think I observed anyway).
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2011, 03:42 PM   #456
Rocketeer
Captain

Aeolusdallas wrote: View Post
The equipment in blue boxes is either blue or purple as opposed to green items in green boxes.
Appreciate the info. I didn't pay attention. I know it had the Terran Ornament she was looking for plus some other Christmas items. If it had a blue or purple item that was below VA level, I would have dropped it into a fleet bank or rebicycled it by now. (Hat's off to Polar Express)
Old December 27 2011, 04:04 PM   #457
Rocketeer
Captain

Delsaber wrote: View Post
For such a little homage though, it sure has folks on the official forums up in a tizzy. Those cats can't even be happy with free stuff.
I was surprised that many players were not aware of the bat'leths and lirpas. I felt obligated to traumatize a few characters in ESD and Qo'noS with a whirling light show. (hitting the strike keys rapidly can produce some spectacular weapon flourishes)

People that expect free stuff all the time are rarely happy. I predict that you'll see the climate change considerably on STO when it goes F2P.
//
Old December 27 2011, 06:39 PM   #458
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

The Green Box has a chance to give you a piece of Green (Uncommon) ship or ground gear; the Blue Box has a chance to give you a piece of Blue (Rare) ship or ground gear in addition to all the 'holiday' items.

If you get a Red Box, it has a chance for a Jem Hadar ship, a Photonic Boff, various in game vanity pets, a Green Box, or a Blue Box.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2011, 06:46 PM   #459
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Delsaber wrote: View Post
For such a little homage though, it sure has folks on the official forums up in a tizzy. Those cats can't even be happy with free stuff.
I was surprised that many players were not aware of the bat'leths and lirpas. I felt obligated to traumatize a few characters in ESD and Qo'noS with a whirling light show. (hitting the strike keys rapidly can produce some spectacular weapon flourishes)

People that expect free stuff all the time are rarely happy. I predict that you'll see the climate change considerably on STO when it goes F2P.
//
One thing many players who rountinely frequest the STO web site and Forums for info don't realize is:

Beyond creating their account and registering; the MAJORITY of players don't check back with the Web site or the official forums - and often don't even read the posted patch notes after a patch. They just log in and play the game, and take any changes as they come because most don't wprry about the best gear or min/max character bulds; they just log in to play/chat with friends and play.

This is true for most MMOs, as studies done by MMO developers show only about 10% of the actual playerbase ever really visit/read official forums in general; and a very small subset of that 10% account for most of the posting activity on MMO forums.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2011, 01:52 AM   #460
J. Allen
Has All New Cheap Moves

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I make a habit to visit the STO forum as often as possible. If you can get around all the constant whining and complaining (some of which is quite justified), there are lots of good tips and frequent updates.
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2011, 06:47 AM   #461
ParLawGod
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I look forward to playing once it becomes free - up to this point I really have not been able to justify buying the game (in regards to both time and money). Lots of bills, and also too much work to get done. Really can't be stuck behind a game...but I think I'll give it a shot
Old December 28 2011, 09:47 AM   #462
Rocketeer
Captain

I sometimes forget to check the forums until something happens that reminds me that I need to do that. I've got a lot of good info from there.

On the DOFF system, I've received another green Saurian Science Bridge Officer with the Efficient trait. I think it's from the assignment Evaluate Federation Science Bridge Officer (or something like that). I need to research it more though.

I'm also on part 4 of 6 on the Colonial chain assignments for Delta Volanis for two of my characters. Completing the chain awards a Renown DOFF.
//

Considering FEDCON 23 in Dusseldorf, 29 May - 1 Jun 2014
Old December 28 2011, 02:54 PM   #463
Rocketeer
Captain

[QUOTE=Noname Given;5489248

They just log in and play the game, and take any changes as they come because most don't wprry about the best gear or min/max character bulds; they just log in to play/chat with friends and play.

QUOTE]

Sorry, I haven't learned to properly trim quotes yet...

A group of my daughter's friends from Pixie Hollow have started hanging out together in STO. If you see a large pack of Caitians holding mock battles, that would be them. They also hold their meetings at the Captain's Table (which is largely ignored by most STO players). As more people migrate to STO in the near future, I expect to see a lot more role-playing and social interaction going on.

I was on last night and someone made the comment that once STO goes F2P, that the chat channel would be flooded to the point of being unusable.

Considering FEDCON 23 in Dusseldorf, 29 May - 1 Jun 2014

Last edited by Rocketeer; December 29 2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old December 30 2011, 05:32 PM   #464
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Cryptic is having a Last-Chance-Sale before F2P.
20% on pretty much everything.
Since a lot of prices will change and likely go up (esspecially ships T3+) now is your chance to get them cheap.
I know, I will buy the Intrepid and Defiant class at least.

It't won't be the last sale ever, but 20% now is better then 20% later (so pray we won't have a 50% sale soon!!!!).
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2011, 09:29 PM   #465
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

It's probably been three weeks since I even logged into the game...
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote