Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old December 23 2011, 09:27 AM   #16
MikeRy71
Ensign

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Reading Star Trek: Enemy Unseen...Should be done with it before my ST: Destiny trilogy arrives in the mail.
MikeRy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2011, 12:38 PM   #17
Fer
Commander

Finished up Attack of the Clones. JD, I heartily agree, the extra material with all of the families really pushed that one over the top. Scenes like that are what I used to read novelizations for.

I started The Future of Us, and so far it's been a really fun read. Turns out it's a YA book so I'm going through it fairly quickly, but I think that might also be because it's a great wish fulfillment story for me. As I mentioned earlier, it's about two teenagers who install AOL for the first time in 1996, but find themselves looking at their 2011 Facebook pages when they log in. I remember when I completed my Trek DVD collection, and thinking "Wow, I'd love to show this to my 12-year-old self." (For reference, at 12 I was eagerly awaiting the release of Wrath of Khan.) This book really plays in to that feeling.

Next on deck is Mirror Universe: Rise Like Lions!

And I agree with everyone, great title for the new thread. It took a second for it to click, and made me literally lol when it did.
Old December 23 2011, 03:39 PM   #18
Stephen!
Captain

I started reading New Jedi Order, since I have a few of the earlier books from the series.

Whether I'll read the entire series remains to be seen, considering there's like, 20 or so books.
Stephen! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2011, 06:21 PM   #19
Joel_Kirk
Rear Admiral

I've read:

*Indiana Jones Omnibus, Vol. 1...where Indy actually has some racist lines towards Asians, and an Asian woman was named "Lotus Flower" during the course of the story. (Yes, the era is the 1930s, but come on...)

*Indiana Jones: The Further Adventures, Vol. 1 - A bit better, quicker stories, passable art...

*The Last Unicorn graphic novel

*Indiana Jones Adventures, Vol. 2 - pretty good

*Tales from the Crypt - a modernized graphic novel

*That Man Bolt by Peter Crowcroft - novelization of the 1970s film; still as convoluted/heavily plot-holed as the film...but interesting, nonetheless..

Last edited by Joel_Kirk; December 23 2011 at 09:11 PM.
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2011, 06:32 PM   #20
JWolf
Commodore

MasuPu'a wrote: View Post
screw the shark
The correct phrase is jump the shark. It came from the Happy Day episode where Fonzie jumped the shark.
Old December 23 2011, 07:36 PM   #21
Christopher
Writer

^I'm pretty sure MasuPu'a modified the phrase intentionally, considering that he was talking about the Anita Blake series, which is known for becoming increasingly sexually explicit in the later books.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2011, 06:32 AM   #22
MasuPu'a
Lieutenant

JWolf wrote: View Post
MasuPu'a wrote: View Post
screw the shark
The correct phrase is jump the shark. It came from the Happy Day episode where Fonzie jumped the shark.
I know. But with LKH's books it became 'screw the shark' as the series derailed the moment the main character, Anita, began literally screwing everyone around her. It's kind of an in-joke with the Antis.
MasuPu'a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2011, 04:54 PM   #23
PKS8304
Lieutenant Commander

Almost done with Mission Gamma Twilight, before I get into Mission Gamma #2 Im going to read Indistinguishable from Magic (which I got for Christmas!)

I hope everyone on here has a happy, healthy holiday and look forward to posting with you all in the new year
PKS8304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2011, 05:01 PM   #24
captcalhoun
Admiral

Just about to start Vanguard: What Judgements Come since I got it this morning, after reading the 3 Ultimate trades I got.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2011, 10:50 PM   #25
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

Just finished Titan: Synthesis. Didn't hate it, but didn't really like it either - too heavy technically for me to find much relateable in the story.

Next up - Typhon Pact: Zero Sum Game.
Old December 27 2011, 12:15 AM   #26
Relayer1
Commodore

Chiron Beta Prime wrote: View Post
Just finished Titan: Synthesis. Didn't hate it, but didn't really like it either - too heavy technically for me to find much relateable in the story.

Next up - Typhon Pact: Zero Sum Game.
I am afraid it's rather better than Zero Sum Game...
Old December 27 2011, 12:24 AM   #27
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Location: Presenting my proposed Enforced Continuity Bill to a reluctant Federation government.

I've finished Rise Like Lions as well as my latest non-Trek book (which I'm not sure how I feel about, even now) and I'm not quite sure what to start on next. Surprisingly, I didn't get any books for Christmas. I may pull out one of Banks' Culture novels or a Discworld, and reread it.
Old December 27 2011, 02:45 AM   #28
CaptainMatt
Fleet Captain

Warped Factors by Walter Koenig
and To The Stars:The Autobiography of George Takei, Star Trek's Mr Sulu
by George Takei
CaptainMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2011, 03:03 AM   #29
Cap'n Crunch
Captain

I finished Mass Effect: Ascension. I'm now reading Star Trek: Vanguard: What Judgments Come.
Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that. - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption
Cap'n Crunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2011, 05:14 AM   #30
JD
Admiral

I finished Paths of Disharmony last night. As a huge fan of the Andorians, and as someone who found their storyline in the DS9R really interesting, I really enjoyed the story. I actually went into this already knowing the big event in the end of the book, but I didn't know what exactly lead up to the event, or what it's aftermath was, so I was still able to get alot of enjoyment out of that part of the story. Reading this I couldn't help but think of current events, with the riots and protest in the books, and then all of the stuff going on in New York other cities over the past few months. My rating: 9/10.
Right now I'm working on the Star Wars graphic novel Mara Jade: By The Emperor's Hand, and the last two stories of Vanguard: Declassified. I should be done with By the Emperor's Hand by the end of tonight most likely, and then I'll work on finishing up A Game of Thrones.