RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,410
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 547
Newest member: DasGeneral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Old December 21 2011, 01:13 PM   #436
Trek
Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Yeah, they're an homage to Star Wars (as is the little green Ferengi who talks backwards that you get them from in Q's Winter Wonderland).

They're only available this week.
Twitter: @Trek88
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2011, 01:41 PM   #437
Aeolusdallas
Captain

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
I take it the new batleths and lirpas you can get at the winter wonderland have something to do with SWTOR coming out today.
yeah it's in honor of the launch. A little homage/spoof
Aeolusdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2011, 06:39 PM   #438
Delsaber
Commodore

For such a little homage though, it sure has folks on the official forums up in a tizzy. Those cats can't even be happy with free stuff.
Old December 22 2011, 09:01 PM   #439
Scout101
Admiral

Eh, thought it was kinda funny. Although it appears to be better than the purple Mk X one I had, which is kinda lame for a free weapon to be nerfing gear i had to work for, but hey...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2011, 04:27 AM   #440
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

I only just head that STO is going free-to-play and this is one mmo I've been wanting to try out, so I'm looking forward to playing with you guys soon. By the way, do you guys think a lifetime membership is worth its price for STO?
Old December 23 2011, 10:21 AM   #441
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

For me it was. If I'd star now peobably not. There are some perks I would miss, if i had to go silver now, but as a new player you will find, that you can do pretty much everything of consequence without a subscription. Every upgrade you may need later can be purchased via microtransactions on a per character basis at least.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2011, 02:19 PM   #442
Trek
Fleet Captain

There was someone on the STO forums who estimated the value of a new subscription in free 2 play over 1000 days was about $400. (http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...43&postcount=5)

Taking this into account I'd say a lifetime sub was worth it.
Twitter: @Trek88
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2011, 02:54 PM   #443
Scout101
Admiral

Maybe, but that only works if you were going to actually BUY all those things. If yes, then you'd get a slight deal. But he's giving you credit for buying the FED and the KDF version of things, and if you don't play KDF, that's a hit right there. If you don't care about emotes, or extra costumes, etc.

The ship purchases, some of the bank and character slots, that's stuff I'd miss.

Even with the numbers he used, you had to play for almost 2 years (let's call it an even 2, if you drop a few things you'd never buy yourself) to break even. If you're in it for the long haul, might still be worth it, though. otherwise, they didn't take much away from the Silver members, so could probably skate by with the free level, and just plan on having to kick in occasionally to get a cool ship, or extra slots, or whatnot. Mentally count that purchase as the sub fee, and you're good to go.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2011, 05:47 PM   #444
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

It could get a bit expensive if you are an altaholic and want to buy all slot extensions for every single character.

If you want a nice star into the game you could get the current steam deal with a 50% discount and start as a goldmember.
Keep in mind already though, that your characters will convert to silver if you don't keep subscribing.
Old December 23 2011, 07:17 PM   #445
Delsaber
Commodore

There's still a sale on for lifetime subscriptions, right? I'd say it's worth it with the discount, and arguably still worth it without, if only because I don't see STO closing down any time soon so long as CBS still cares at all about their IP. So that monthly stipend will add up to a lot sooner or later.

Otherwise, it's quality of life stuff that would make the difference for me. Losing all those inventory/bank slots would really suck. YMMV, of course.
Old December 23 2011, 07:55 PM   #446
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Then go for it.
Old December 23 2011, 09:07 PM   #447
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Delsaber wrote: View Post
so long as CBS still cares at all about their IP. So that monthly stipend will add up to a lot sooner or later.
more like as long as CBS still likes sucking all the fun out of it to keep the canon nuts happy.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2011, 09:31 PM   #448
Delsaber
Commodore

Well, CBS did block the Enterprise-J's appearance in STO. They ain't likely to allow Tier 5 variants of 23rd century ships either for basically the same reasons. But other than that... really? Any five minute trip to ESD will blast your screen with TOS-era Connies flying shotgun to Sovereigns and every player character gets Wrath of Khan uniforms for free. If they're catering to canon nuts, they're doing a pretty lousy job of it.

I think the few publicly disclosed veto actions CBS has made so far are perfectly understandable and the game is better for it. More than that, no one here works at Cryptic Studios, so we're not privy to the developer/rights-holder relationship going on. All we can do is speculate about what the suits are up to and, frankly, I'd rather spend that energy elsewhere. Such as playing the game.
Old December 24 2011, 03:45 AM   #449
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Delsaber wrote: View Post
Well, CBS did block the Enterprise-J's appearance in STO. They ain't likely to allow Tier 5 variants of 23rd century ships either for basically the same reasons. But other than that... really? Any five minute trip to ESD will blast your screen with TOS-era Connies flying shotgun to Sovereigns.
which are totally useless after the first 10 levels.

I think the few publicly disclosed veto actions CBS has made so far are perfectly understandable and the game is better for it.
You do realise that the Jem hadar ship is gone after the winter event and which is the only way to get it, right?
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2011, 01:39 PM   #450
Rocketeer
Captain

My daughter was trying to get the ingredients for the frosty boots. I ran the race twice and got a green and blue box. I was able to give the green to her, but the blue was bound. I opened the blue and of course it had what she needed but everything from the package was bound to my character. Fortunately the green box has the same contents and she was able to get her boots. So the question is what is the difference between the green and blue boxes other than the blue being bound to your character?
Rocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote