Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Closed Thread

Old December 23 2011, 07:21 AM   #436
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701
Re: If you don't think Nemesis is better than Star trek 2009....

I'm ashamed to admit that I think we've fallen into this trap:

There is no way this guy is for real. He has to be fucking with us. Absolutely no way this can be serious. I'm grabbing another glass of Baileys and going to bed.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old December 23 2011, 07:22 AM   #437
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

trek_futurist wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post

Profit can be had with much less effort and financial sacrifice. Day time talk shows entertain people.
Not all people. This seems to be your biggest problem, you think people should be this soulless, homogenized group. Imagine a world where all that aired were talk shows. Pretty dull.
Would you care to describe the differences between star trek and day time talk shows, since they are both merely for 'entertainment' and nothing more?
I'm sorry but your simply trolling at this point. If you don't know the difference between daytime talk and sci-fi action adventure you're not as smart as you think you are.
Old December 23 2011, 07:23 AM   #438
RoJoHen
Awesome

snowman1701 wrote: View Post

There is no way this guy is for real. He has to be fucking with us. Absolutely no way this can be serious. I'm grabbing another glass of Baileys and going to bed.
I relocated from my living (where I was watching an episode of Voyager, btw) to my bed. Sometimes I wish I didn't have a laptop. I would just walk away.
Old December 23 2011, 07:24 AM   #439
BillJ
Admiral

I passed up sex with the misses to continue this circle-jerk. Off to bed.
Old December 23 2011, 07:25 AM   #440
RoJoHen
Awesome

Congratulations, trek_futurist. You have succeeded in losing all credibility. I honestly can't believe it took this long.
Old December 23 2011, 07:27 AM   #441
MasuPu'a
Lieutenant

Obvious troll is obvious...I guess I had nothing better to do tonight then to feed a troll.
Old December 23 2011, 07:27 AM   #442
BillJ
Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post

I relocated from my living (where I was watching an episode of Voyager, btw) to my bed. Sometimes I wish I didn't have a laptop. I would just walk away.
The iPad has cost me many hours of sleep.
Old December 23 2011, 07:28 AM   #443
trek_futurist
Lieutenant Commander

Oh for crying out loud.... If Jersey Shore entertained me, I would be watching that. It doesn't. Star Trek does.

I can not seriously believe you're now arguing that entertainment value and discussion of "higher" topics are mutually exclusive.

No wonder us Trekkies have such a horrible reputation in the real world.
If it is merely a matter of entertainment, as a few of you suggest, why not promote something that leads to the path of least resistance for ratings? Such as another cop show. Another forensics show. Another day time talk show. These garner much higher ratings than star trek ever has (hence the longevity of shows lie jerry springer). With the exception of the 2009 namesake, of course. *raises eyebrow*
You're absolutely right. And that's exactly why there is no Trek on TV right now and why there probably won't be for a very long time.

Trek used to be popular and make money, and then it got less popular with each subsequent TV series. It is no longer worth the investment to make more Trek shows.
The ratings of TNG were much higher than TOS or any of the other shows, which is why it survived 7 seasons, and it was arguably the most philosophically and scientifically challenging trek incarnation ever. VOY and DS9 lasted 7 seasons as well. ENT lasted only 4 because it attempted to make it more accessible to the masses. The 2009 thing 'succeeded' financially because it was marketed to the masses as a generic summer blockbuster and nothing more. The star trek affiliation was in namesake only. It did not succeed as a star trek movie, but as an abstract object called a summer blockbuster. This is the very first time this can be said of a star trek film. Despite TWOK's success, it still succeeded as a star trek film.
Old December 23 2011, 07:30 AM   #444
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

He/she/it had no credibility from the moment of the original post. This is the kind of person who's only interested in proving themselves to be "right" rather than being factually correct, and will pick through any post to find a few poorly chosen words to try to twist around.

I'm adding a new name to my ignore list. I suggest others do as well.
Old December 23 2011, 07:31 AM   #445
BillJ
Admiral

If it is merely a matter of entertainment, as a few of you suggest, why not promote something that leads to the path of least resistance for ratings? Such as another cop show. Another forensics show. Another day time talk show. These garner much higher ratings than star trek ever has (hence the longevity of shows lie jerry springer). With the exception of the 2009 namesake, of course. *raises eyebrow*
You're absolutely right. And that's exactly why there is no Trek on TV right now and why there probably won't be for a very long time.

Trek used to be popular and make money, and then it got less popular with each subsequent TV series. It is no longer worth the investment to make more Trek shows.
The ratings of TNG were much higher than TOS or any of the other shows, which is why it survived 7 seasons, and it was arguably the most philosophically and scientifically challenging trek incarnation ever. VOY and DS9 lasted 7 seasons as well. ENT lasted only 4 because it attempted to make it more accessible to the masses. The 2009 thing 'succeeded' financially because it was marketed to the masses as a generic summer blockbuster and nothing more. The star trek affiliation was in namesake only. It did not succeed as a star trek movie, but as an abstract object called a summer blockbuster. This is the very first time this can be said of a star trek film. Despite TWOK's success, it still succeeded as a star trek film.
It succeeded as Star Trek the moment nerds like us started staying up all night arguing about it. The tradition proudly continues.
Old December 23 2011, 07:36 AM   #446
RoJoHen
Awesome

BillJ wrote: View Post

It succeeded as Star Trek the moment nerds like us started staying up all night arguing about it. The tradition proudly continues.
When the next movie comes out, I'm going to make a point to pay extra attention to its use of scientific theories (but only if they're grounded in general relativity!) and morals.
Old December 23 2011, 08:16 AM   #447
J. Allen
[Snuggling Intensifies]

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

As for me, I'm going to start using more exclamation marks and assert my dominance by calling strong black women 'whores'.
Old December 23 2011, 08:41 AM   #448
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

I am shutting this thread down. CLANG! Good night, everybody.
Closed Thread