RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,597
Posts: 5,404,510
Members: 24,869
Currently online: 466
Newest member: michiko

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek: Gold Key Archives Vol. 2 Comic
By: T'Bonz on Oct 1

Cumberbatch In War Of Roses Miniseries
By: T'Bonz on Oct 1

Trek 3 Filming Location Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Oct 1

October-November 2014 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Cho Selfie TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

TPTB To Shatner: Shhh!
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old December 23 2011, 06:54 AM   #406
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral
 
Geoff Peterson's Avatar
 
Location: 20 feet from an outlet
Re: If you don't think Nemesis is better than Star trek 2009....

trek_futurist wrote: View Post
Santa Kang wrote: View Post
trek_futurist wrote: View Post
To what end?
For enjoyment, entertainment and interaction.
These things can be had in numerous ways, you can go to a general movie forum for this, a general music forum for this, a general entertainment forum for this. Why star trek?
Because I enjoy Star Trek and am entertained by it. I also enjoy talking to other fans about it.
__________________
Nerys Myk
Geoff Peterson is offline  
Old December 23 2011, 06:55 AM   #407
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: If you don't think Nemesis is better than Star trek 2009....

trek_futurist wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
trek_futurist wrote: View Post
But that does not explain what you are here to discuss.



But why?
Because it raises awareness of the franchise outside of the rather insular fan base.
And how is that good for the franchise, other than financial gain? What is the meaningful correlative that makes 'the franchise' important to the masses?
I'm not exactly sure what your looking for here? Every corporate entity that has funded the production of Star Trek has done so to make money. If Star Trek isn't financially viable, it will no longer be produced. In order to be financially viable it has to reach for audiences outside its traditional fan base.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline  
Old December 23 2011, 06:56 AM   #408
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral
 
archeryguy1701's Avatar
 
Location: Cheyenne, WY
Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701
Re: If you don't think Nemesis is better than Star trek 2009....

No one has said that there aren't folks out there that hated the new movie. There are plenty of them. But there's plenty of folks who loved it too, including people who liked Star Trek before 2009 (I guess the correct term for them would be ex-Trekkies, since they gave up the right to be fans after falling for that disaster of a movie). But you're acting like the opinions of those who didn't like the movie supercede the opinions of those who did like it. It's not good enough for you that you didn't like it and others did- the whole world needs to know why the folks who did like it are wrong!

Now... I'm not going to go through your last attempt at a response to me point-by-point because you've filled it with a bunch of unsupportable crap that's impossible to prove, so I'm just going to respond with this:

You say that this is all about determining what is or isn't "Real Trek". Who are you to say this isn't "Real Trek"? In fact, I would go so far to say that by getting up on the big screen and by getting support from previous Star Trek related folks, you've been overruled. The important people (the ones involved with Trek, currently and previously) seem to have decided that Trek 09 is Real Trek. There is no point in discussing whether or not this is Real Trek because that's been decided for you, whether you like it or not. I guess the only real remaining point of discussion now is how far the fandom has fallen since 2009.

And you keep claiming that Star Trek was never about the money.... don't kid yourself. These folks (old and new) aren't doing this stuff for the betterment of humanity. They're doing it to make a dime. There are plenty of movies or shows that give off a good message once in a while, but that wasn't why they were made. Do you really think Rodenberry would have tried to start Trek back up after it was canceled for the first time if it didn't get popular in syndication? It was never about, "I must get the message out to the people!!".
__________________
"If it weren't for stupid, difficult races, there'd simply be no point to living."

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline  
Old December 23 2011, 06:56 AM   #409
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: If you don't think Nemesis is better than Star trek 2009....

trek_futurist wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
We love Star Trek. Making Star Trek popular again means we get more Star Trek.

Star Trek is not intended for anything other than entertainment. I don't care if people make money from it or not. If I get more to watch, I win.
If this is your reasoning, why not watch anything else that is generally considered 'entertaining'? Why star trek? I don't get it. Especially if its 'insular' fan base annoys most of you.
I watch many different things and also have interest outside of TV. I doubt anyone here is solely dependent on Trek for his/her entertainment.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline  
Old December 23 2011, 06:57 AM   #410
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: If you don't think Nemesis is better than Star trek 2009....

trek_futurist wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
We love Star Trek. Making Star Trek popular again means we get more Star Trek.

Star Trek is not intended for anything other than entertainment. I don't care if people make money from it or not. If I get more to watch, I win.
If this is your reasoning, why not watch anything else that is generally considered 'entertaining'? Why star trek? I don't get it. Especially if its 'insular' fan base annoys most of you.
I don't watch Star Trek because the masses tell me it's entertaining. I watch Star Trek because I find it entertaining. Why do YOU watch Star Trek?

TV and movies are meant to entertain. Entertainment is entirely subjective. Different people are entertained by different things. If a TV show also happens to teach morals or life lessons, great, but that's not the reason I watch them.

Star Trek is just a TV show. You seem intent on elevating into something more. Just because you get more out of it doesn't make it anything other than a TV show.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline  
Old December 23 2011, 06:57 AM   #411
trek_futurist
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: If you don't think Nemesis is better than Star trek 2009....

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
trek_futurist wrote: View Post
Santa Kang wrote: View Post
For enjoyment, entertainment and interaction.
These things can be had in numerous ways, you can go to a general movie forum for this, a general music forum for this, a general entertainment forum for this. Why star trek?
Because we like Star Trek. What is so complicated about this?
It's complicated because there is an apparent delineation between the 'insular' fans and those of us who simply 'like' it with no apparent explanation.

There is no such delineation between people who watch the majority of sitcoms. Obviously in order for such a delineation to subsist the medium must be presenting something to forge the separation between you and I.

Not as simple as you seem to be painting it.
trek_futurist is offline  
Old December 23 2011, 06:59 AM   #412
trek_futurist
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: If you don't think Nemesis is better than Star trek 2009....

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
trek_futurist wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
We love Star Trek. Making Star Trek popular again means we get more Star Trek.

Star Trek is not intended for anything other than entertainment. I don't care if people make money from it or not. If I get more to watch, I win.
If this is your reasoning, why not watch anything else that is generally considered 'entertaining'? Why star trek? I don't get it. Especially if its 'insular' fan base annoys most of you.
I don't watch Star Trek because the masses tell me it's entertaining. I watch Star Trek because I find it entertaining. Why do YOU watch Star Trek?

TV and movies are meant to entertain. Entertainment is entirely subjective. Different people are entertained by different things. If a TV show also happens to teach morals or life lessons, great, but that's not the reason I watch them.

Star Trek is just a TV show. You seem intent on elevating into something more. Just because you get more out of it doesn't make it anything other than a TV show.
If your view of it is this simplistic, what are you here to discuss? Anything?
trek_futurist is offline  
Old December 23 2011, 07:01 AM   #413
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral
 
archeryguy1701's Avatar
 
Location: Cheyenne, WY
Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701
Re: If you don't think Nemesis is better than Star trek 2009....

trek_futurist wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
trek_futurist wrote: View Post

These things can be had in numerous ways, you can go to a general movie forum for this, a general music forum for this, a general entertainment forum for this. Why star trek?
Because we like Star Trek. What is so complicated about this?
It's complicated because there is an apparent delineation between the 'insular' fans and those of who who simple 'like' it with no apparent explanation.

There is no such delineation between people who watch the majority of sitcoms. Obviously in order for such a delineation to subsist the medium must be presenting something to forge the separation between you and I.

Not as simple as you seem to be painting it.
Seriously? There has to be a reason?

Why are you so hellbent on defining who should or shouldn't be a fan? Do you not want the unclean, dumber masses enjoying your TV show?

It's a TV show. It's there for entertainment. And as luck would have it, it entertains many of us here. Stop overthinking this, cupcake.
__________________
"If it weren't for stupid, difficult races, there'd simply be no point to living."

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline  
Old December 23 2011, 07:01 AM   #414
trek_futurist
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: If you don't think Nemesis is better than Star trek 2009....

BillJ wrote: View Post
trek_futurist wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
We love Star Trek. Making Star Trek popular again means we get more Star Trek.

Star Trek is not intended for anything other than entertainment. I don't care if people make money from it or not. If I get more to watch, I win.
If this is your reasoning, why not watch anything else that is generally considered 'entertaining'? Why star trek? I don't get it. Especially if its 'insular' fan base annoys most of you.
I watch many different things and also have interest outside of TV. I doubt anyone here is solely dependent on Trek for his/her entertainment.
Then again, what are you here to discuss? I keep missing the point of that.
trek_futurist is offline  
Old December 23 2011, 07:02 AM   #415
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: If you don't think Nemesis is better than Star trek 2009....

trek_futurist wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
trek_futurist wrote: View Post

These things can be had in numerous ways, you can go to a general movie forum for this, a general music forum for this, a general entertainment forum for this. Why star trek?
Because we like Star Trek. What is so complicated about this?
It's complicated because there is an apparent delineation between the 'insular' fans and those of who who simple 'like' it with no apparent explanation.
Okay...

I like Star Trek because I enjoy the actors and the characters. I enjoy the stories. I enjoy the space battles. I enjoy the humor. I enjoy a lot of things about Star Trek. I've been watching Star Trek since I was a little kid. I also like that it explores the human condition and attempts to show the hope of the future. I like all of those things.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline  
Old December 23 2011, 07:03 AM   #416
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: If you don't think Nemesis is better than Star trek 2009....

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
trek_futurist wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post

Because we like Star Trek. What is so complicated about this?
It's complicated because there is an apparent delineation between the 'insular' fans and those of who who simple 'like' it with no apparent explanation.
Okay...

I like Star Trek because I enjoy the actors and the characters. I enjoy the stories. I enjoy the space battles. I enjoy the humor. I enjoy a lot of things about Star Trek. I've been watching Star Trek since I was a little kid. I also like that it explores the human condition and attempts to show the hope of the future. I like all of those things.
I'm shallow, I'm in it for the babes in miniskirts. Just like GR!
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline  
Old December 23 2011, 07:03 AM   #417
trek_futurist
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: If you don't think Nemesis is better than Star trek 2009....

snowman1701 wrote: View Post
trek_futurist wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post

Because we like Star Trek. What is so complicated about this?
It's complicated because there is an apparent delineation between the 'insular' fans and those of who who simple 'like' it with no apparent explanation.

There is no such delineation between people who watch the majority of sitcoms. Obviously in order for such a delineation to subsist the medium must be presenting something to forge the separation between you and I.

Not as simple as you seem to be painting it.
Seriously? There has to be a reason?

Why are you so hellbent on defining who should or shouldn't be a fan? Do you not want the unclean, dumber masses enjoying your TV show?

It's a TV show. It's there for entertainment. And as luck would have it, it entertains many of us here. Stop overthinking this, cupcake.
But none of this explains why you are putting so much effort into explaining that it is simple entertainment and nothing of value beyond this. In fact, your efforts belie your claims.
trek_futurist is offline  
Old December 23 2011, 07:04 AM   #418
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: If you don't think Nemesis is better than Star trek 2009....

BillJ wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
trek_futurist wrote: View Post

It's complicated because there is an apparent delineation between the 'insular' fans and those of who who simple 'like' it with no apparent explanation.
Okay...

I like Star Trek because I enjoy the actors and the characters. I enjoy the stories. I enjoy the space battles. I enjoy the humor. I enjoy a lot of things about Star Trek. I've been watching Star Trek since I was a little kid. I also like that it explores the human condition and attempts to show the hope of the future. I like all of those things.
I'm shallow, I'm in it for the babes in miniskirts. Just like GR!
Those are good too.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline  
Old December 23 2011, 07:05 AM   #419
trek_futurist
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: If you don't think Nemesis is better than Star trek 2009....

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
trek_futurist wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post

Because we like Star Trek. What is so complicated about this?
It's complicated because there is an apparent delineation between the 'insular' fans and those of who who simple 'like' it with no apparent explanation.
Okay...

I like Star Trek because I enjoy the actors and the characters. I enjoy the stories. I enjoy the space battles. I enjoy the humor. I enjoy a lot of things about Star Trek. I've been watching Star Trek since I was a little kid. I also like that it explores the human condition and attempts to show the hope of the future. I like all of those things.
Okay
trek_futurist is offline  
Old December 23 2011, 07:05 AM   #420
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: If you don't think Nemesis is better than Star trek 2009....

trek_futurist wrote: View Post
snowman1701 wrote: View Post
trek_futurist wrote: View Post

It's complicated because there is an apparent delineation between the 'insular' fans and those of who who simple 'like' it with no apparent explanation.

There is no such delineation between people who watch the majority of sitcoms. Obviously in order for such a delineation to subsist the medium must be presenting something to forge the separation between you and I.

Not as simple as you seem to be painting it.
Seriously? There has to be a reason?

Why are you so hellbent on defining who should or shouldn't be a fan? Do you not want the unclean, dumber masses enjoying your TV show?

It's a TV show. It's there for entertainment. And as luck would have it, it entertains many of us here. Stop overthinking this, cupcake.
But none of this explains why you are putting so much effort into explaining that it is simple entertainment and nothing of value beyond this. In fact, your efforts belie your claims.
Nobody has said that is has no value beyond entertainment. You're putting words in people's mouths again.

It's a TV show. It's main purpose is to provide entertainment and make money. But it can also explore science and morality and the human condition. You do get that it's possible to have both, right?
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
nemesis, philosophy, science, star trek (2009 film)

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.