Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Closed Thread

Old December 22 2011, 05:53 AM   #286
trek_futurist
Lieutenant Commander

Re: If you don't think Nemesis is better than Star trek 2009....

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
trek_futurist wrote: View Post

That's nice.

How does liking ST09 not make someone a real Star Trek fan?
Because it doesn't make treksense.
How does liking ST09 not make someone a real Star Trek fan? This time, with at least one paragraph, and without any glib catchphrase words.
The sad part is that I explained it all in the first post.
Old December 22 2011, 06:19 AM   #287
Dukhat
Commodore

How does liking ST09 not make someone a real Star Trek fan? This time, with at least one paragraph, and without any glib catchphrase words.
The sad part is that I explained it all in the first post.
No, the sad part is that you've been able to troll your BS for 20 pages.
Old December 22 2011, 06:20 AM   #288
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Santa Kang wrote: View Post

He could have made a lot more money making traditional westerns, which were extremely popular at that time, to my understanding. And this show was not, exactly, favored by TV execs. So what you are saying is complete and utter non-sense. Next..
You actually think that Roddenberry didn't want to make money?

You know what else was popular at that time? Space exploration. You know who America's newest heroes were? Astronauts. So a show taking the tropes of Westerns set in space would be something the execs would look at. They liked it enough to green light a second pilot. A somewhat unusual move in those days.

To quote Khan, " I know something of those years. Remember, it was a time of great dreams, of great aspiration".

I'm not saying Gene Roddenberry didn't want to make money, that would be foolish, because money means the continuation of his medium.

BUT

He could have made money a lot easier doing traditional television.

Now let me remind some of you from the older generations what was NOT popular back then. Racial tolerance! And that is one of the first things Gene fought to represent in the bridge crew!
Actually that was the network's suggestion. Diversity was something they were looking for. See Trek's sister show Mission Impossible and I Spy as examples.

ETA: The book you need to read is Inside Star Trek by Justman and Solow. It might burst a few bubbles though.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old December 22 2011, 07:39 AM   #289
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

You need to first define hardship.

If by hardship, you are referring to basic human limitations, then there will always be some limits, albeit slimmer as time and technology (especially medical technology) advances.

But then there is absolutely no reason to eschew our further evolution either. There is no reason why we cannot adapt to a life of less hardship, especially if our libidos are focusing their energies elsewhere, such as in the maintenance of technology, the charting of star systems, the diplomacy of burgeoning species.
That's nice.

How does liking ST09 not make someone a real Star Trek fan?
Like Star Trek.
3) I never know when to quit.
4)
Old December 22 2011, 07:40 AM   #290
MasuPu'a
Lieutenant

Old December 22 2011, 07:52 AM   #291
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Now let me remind some of you from the older generations what was NOT popular back then. Racial tolerance! And that is one of the first things Gene fought to represent in the bridge crew!
As Santa Kang mentions...

Baloney. That's just a myth that's long since been busted by Herb Solow and Bob Justman, who cited an August 17. 1965 letter from NBC V.P. Mort Werner memo that encouraged programs to feature "minority" characters.

Furthermore, Solow related:
"We applaud the attempts at a racial mix; it's exactly what we want. Hopefully, there'll be more experienced minority actors available for next year.'"
Herb Solow, relating feedback from NBC's Mort Werner
Inside Star Trek, p. 60
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old December 22 2011, 09:30 AM   #292
Maurice
Vice Admiral

re Roddenberry fighting to have a multi-ethnic cast on Star Trek.

Since this keeps coming up time and time again, I feel it's time to just reproduce the full text of the 1965 (before the series was greenlit) NBC memo that illustrates that Roddenberry had to do no such thing.

Here it is, emphasis mine:
NBC TELEVISION NETWORK

August 17, 1965

Mr. Gene Roddenberry
DESILU STUDIOS
Hollywood, Calif.

Dear Gene:

Census figures, in the mid-1960s, indicate that one American in every eight is non-white. It is reasonable to assume that this percentage also applies to the television audience.

I choose this statistic to call to your attention once again to NBC's longstanding policy of non-discrimination. Our efforts in the past to assure the fact that the programs broadcast on our facilities are a natural reflection of the role of minorities in American life have met with substantial success. I would like to congratulate those producers who have extended themselves in this regard and I invite all of our creative associates to join us in an even greater effort to meet this fact of American life.

NBC's employment policy has long dictated that there can be no discrimination because of race, creed, religion or national origin and this applies in all of out operations. In addition, since we are mindful of our vast audience and the extent to which television influences taste and attitudes, we are not only anxious but determined that members of minority groups be treated in a manner consistent with their role in society. While this applies to all racial minorities, obviously the principle reference is to the casting and depiction of Negroes. Our purpose is to assure that in our medium, and within the permissive framework of dramatic license, we present a reasonable reflection of contemporary society.

We urge producers to cast Negroes, subject to their availability and competence as performs, as people who are an integral segment of the population, as well as in those roles where the fact of their minority status is of significance. An earnest attempt has been made to see that their presence contributes to an honest and natural reflection of places, situations and events, and we desire to intensify and extend this effort.

We believe that NBC's pursuit of this police is pre-eminent in the broadcasting industry. It is evident in both the daytime and nighttime schedules and particularly in such popular programs as I SPY, THE ANDY WILLIAMS SHOW, THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E., RUN FOR YOUR LIFE, and many other presentations. While we have made noticeable progress we can do better, and I ask you for your cooperation and help.

Sincerely,

MORT WERNER
[Programs Vice President]

* As reproduced on pages 76–77 of the book Inside Star Trek by Herbert F. Solow and Robert H. Justman, 1996 by Pocket Books
—Glen Larson, 2010

Last edited by Maurice Navidad; December 22 2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old December 22 2011, 09:53 AM   #293
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

However it came about, Trek's racial toerance message is a powerful one - and it's one that Star Trek '09 encapulates better than any Star Trek has before! There is more (human) racial diversity in this movie than any prior Star Trek one. Look around on Earth, on the Kelvin, at Starfleet Academy, and on the Enterprise.

Case in point: Captain Robau. A Middle-Eastern guy commanding a Federation starship.

Hell - even members of Nero's Romulan crew were given assorted lumps and bumps, indicating Romulan racial diversity.
Old December 22 2011, 10:16 AM   #294
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

^ It was definitely nice to see Romulans (as well as many other aliens) looking different.
3) I never know when to quit.
4)
Old December 22 2011, 02:52 PM   #295
horatio83
Commodore

Maurice Navidad wrote: View Post

Since this keeps coming up time and time again, I feel it's time to just reproduce the full text of the 1965 (before the series was greenlit) NBC memo that illustrates that Roddenberry had to do no such thing.

NBC TELEVISION NETWORK

August 17, 1965

Mr. Gene Roddenberry
DESILU STUDIOS
Hollywood, Calif.

Dear Gene:

Census figures, in the mid-1960s, indicate that one American in every eight is non-white. It is reasonable to assume that this percentage also applies to the television audience.

I choose this statistic to call to your attention once again to NBC's longstanding policy of non-discrimination. Our efforts in the past to assure the fact that the programs broadcast on our facilities are a natural reflection of the role of minorities in American life have met with substantial success. I would like to congratulate those producers who have extended themselves in this regard and I invite all of our creative associates to join us in an even greater effort to meet this fact of American life.

NBC's employment policy has long dictated that there can be no discrimination because of race, creed, religion or national origin and this applies in all of out operations. In addition, since we are mindful of our vast audience and the extent to which television influences taste and attitudes, we are not only anxious but determined that members of minority groups be treated in a manner consistent with their role in society. While this applies to all racial minorities, obviously the principle reference is to the casting and depiction of Negroes. Our purpose is to assure that in our medium, and within the permissive framework of dramatic license, we present a reasonable reflection of contemporary society.

We urge producers to cast Negroes, subject to their availability and competence as performs, as people who are an integral segment of the population, as well as in those roles where the fact of their minority status is of significance. An earnest attempt has been made to see that their presence contributes to an honest and natural reflection of places, situations and events, and we desire to intensify and extend this effort.

We believe that NBC's pursuit of this police is pre-eminent in the broadcasting industry. It is evident in both the daytime and nighttime schedules and particularly in such popular programs as I SPY, THE ANDY WILLIAMS SHOW, THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E., RUN FOR YOUR LIFE, and many other presentations. While we have made noticeable progress we can do better, and I ask you for your cooperation and help.

Sincerely,

MORT WERNER

* As reproduced on pages 76–77 of the book Inside Star Trek by Herbert F. Solow and Robert H. Justman, 1996 by Pocket Books
Nothing about casting former and contemporary enemies, Japanese and Russians, in this letter.
You cannot claim that the progressive ideas of Trek came out of one of these studio head who considered "The Cage" to be too cerebral and wanted Trek to be more of a space western.
Old December 22 2011, 02:54 PM   #296
horatio83
Commodore

Maurice Navidad wrote: View Post

NBC TELEVISION NETWORK

August 17, 1965

Mr. Gene Roddenberry
DESILU STUDIOS
Hollywood, Calif.

Dear Gene:

Sincerely,

MORT WERNER

Nothing about featuring former and contemporary enemies, Japanese and Russians, in this letter.
You cannot claim that the progressive ideas of Trek came out of one of these studio heads who considered "The Cage" to be too cerebral and wanted Trek to be more of a space western.
Old December 22 2011, 03:16 PM   #297
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

horatio83 wrote: View Post

Nothing about featuring former and contemporary enemies, Japanese and Russians, in this letter.
Rumor has it that Chekov came about because the Soviet newspaper Pravda noted that there seemed to be no Russians in the future.

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/chekov.asp
Old December 22 2011, 03:39 PM   #298
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Santa Kang wrote: View Post

ETA: The book you need to read is Inside Star Trek by Justman and Solow. It might burst a few bubbles though.
This. A fascinating read that doesn't always paint Roddenberry in a flattering way but does shine a light on his abilities as a TV producer.

All you have to know about Roddenberry is this: he wrote lyrics to Alexander Courage's end music so he could claim half of any royalties that Courage earned from it. Sounds like a stand up guy to me.
Old December 22 2011, 06:27 PM   #299
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

horatio83 wrote: View Post
You cannot claim that the progressive ideas of Trek came out of one of these studio heads who considered "The Cage" to be too cerebral and wanted Trek to be more of a space western.
Pretty sure the "cerebral" thing is a bit of a myth as well. The pilot was well received by the executives. They did have problems with some of the casting (Like GR casting his then mistress) and the character of Spock. Who, ironically would be the shows break out character.

As for casting Japanese and Russian characters. First I don't think Sulu was Japanese in the beginning, but was "pan Asian". He became more Japanese later one. Secondly the war had been over almost two decades by the time Star Trek was made. American servicemen ( like my father) had been living in Japan since the end of the war, bringing home Japanese culture and "war brides". I spent half my childhood living in Japan. Japan was also our strongest Far Eastern ally and a staging point for operations in Vietnam and electronic intelligence aimed at the Soviets and Chinese.

On the Russian front, we had Nina Talbot's character in Hogan's Heroes and Illya Kuryakin in Man From UNCLE. Both predate Chekov.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old December 22 2011, 06:43 PM   #300
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

I'd like to point out that while Sulu was meant to be pan-Asian, his name itself is Filipino. Thus I'm stickin' to the idea that he's part-Filipino.