RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,930
Posts: 5,389,713
Members: 24,720
Currently online: 547
Newest member: MrSpock

TrekToday headlines

New Trek-themed Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Aug 21

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old December 21 2011, 08:08 PM   #181
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: If you don't think Nemesis is better than Star trek 2009....

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
trek_futurist wrote: View Post
Santa Kang wrote: View Post
TOS was an action adventure show that occasionally gave us a "feel good" message by the final act. A message usually proceeded by fisticuffs and gunfire. If they could have afforded explosions every week, we would have them too.
Every single episode of TOS had a philosophical or scientific message of some kind. Stop trying to revise history please.
The philosophical and scientific messages have been highly overinterpreted. Star Trek is a campy children's show from the 60s. But the children are grown ups now and still like it, so they try to find deep substance in the show where none is.
It was not a camp childrens show ( at least the version marketed and shown in America. Might be different in "L'Europe". )
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now  
Old December 21 2011, 08:09 PM   #182
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: If you don't think Nemesis is better than Star trek 2009....

At what point did Kirk have an alcohol problem? Getting in a bar fight doesn't make someone an alcoholic.

You keep calling him an imbecile? What exactly did he do that makes you think that? Yes, he was a bit obnoxious. And yes, he was a bit arrogant. He's practically a kid! Destroying Nero's ship? That's your evidence? Nero was a genocidal mass-murderer guilty of destroying an entire planet and nearly destroying another. He gave Nero the chance to surrender. Nero didn't take it. Under the circumstances, Nero was not worth trying to save.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline  
Old December 21 2011, 08:09 PM   #183
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: If you don't think Nemesis is better than Star trek 2009....

trek_futurist wrote: View Post
Santa Kang wrote: View Post
TOS was an action adventure show that occasionally gave us a "feel good" message by the final act. A message usually proceeded by fisticuffs and gunfire. If they could have afforded explosions every week, we would have them too.
Every single episode of TOS had a philosophical or scientific message of some kind. Stop trying to revise history please.
No.

But, seriously, you've had nothing to say about ST09's messages, which I spelled out way back on page one. Nor my subsequent posts, where I backed up my assertations about Gene Rodenberry's revisionism and Trek's flawed continuity with links and quotes.
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline  
Old December 21 2011, 08:10 PM   #184
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: If you don't think Nemesis is better than Star trek 2009....

trek_futurist wrote: View Post

If TOS taught us anything, it's that people with alcohol problems would have gotten help long before they would be able to go on this series of mis-steps. Yes, there was the bar fight in trouble with tribbles, but it did not alter the central characters, or their moral approach to other humans and other species.
I'm really beginning to question whether you've seen TOS or not. Scotty was an alcoholic, see By Any Other Name or The Tholian Web and McCoy was borderline.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is online now  
Old December 21 2011, 08:11 PM   #185
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: If you don't think Nemesis is better than Star trek 2009....

trek_futurist wrote: View Post
In order to create a space/time portal, like the one witnessed in DS9, that we know as a 'wormhole' you have to have two points of the curvature of space/time meeting and effectively lessening the distance between two points. But in DS9, with the bajoran wormhole, it was space you were traversing, not time. But the same parameters apply. Both are based in relativity, and have potential for logical scientific explanation even in a fictional universe based on scientific principles. This red matter/black hole/time portal non-sense does not!
Read this: http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/as...s/041130a.html

Black holes were previously used for travel through space and time in "Tomorrow is Yesterday" and "Star Trek: The Motion Picture"
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline  
Old December 21 2011, 08:17 PM   #186
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: If you don't think Nemesis is better than Star trek 2009....

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
trek_futurist wrote: View Post
In order to create a space/time portal, like the one witnessed in DS9, that we know as a 'wormhole' you have to have two points of the curvature of space/time meeting and effectively lessening the distance between two points. But in DS9, with the bajoran wormhole, it was space you were traversing, not time. But the same parameters apply. Both are based in relativity, and have potential for logical scientific explanation even in a fictional universe based on scientific principles. This red matter/black hole/time portal non-sense does not!
Read this: http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/as...s/041130a.html

Black holes were previously used for travel through space and time in "Tomorrow is Yesterday" and "Star Trek: The Motion Picture"
Well, in Tomorrow is Yesterday it isn't travel through the black hole that causes the time travel, it's the forces required to pull away from it that did.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is online now  
Old December 21 2011, 08:17 PM   #187
horatio83
Commodore
 
Re: If you don't think Nemesis is better than Star trek 2009....

trek_futurist wrote: View Post
A different person, meaning a complete imbecile?
PIKE: Because I looked up your file while you were drooling on the floor. Your aptitude tests are off the charts, so what is it? You like being the only genius-level repeat offender in the midwest?

Just to provide some facts.

One can discuss whether Kirk wouldn't be a more complex character if he had some of those traits prominent in the first season of TOS and the Meyer films.
One can discuss whether the Tattoomulans should have been less one-dimensional.
One can discuss whether the movie sacrificed thematic depth at the cost of action and pacing.

But going off the deep end, calling Kirk an imposter or an imbecile, is not an actual discussion, it s a stupid rant without substance. Nothing against polemics but not on such a low level.
__________________
The illegal we do immediately; the unconstitutional takes a little longer. - former US Secretary of State and unconvicted war criminal Henry Kissinger
horatio83 is offline  
Old December 21 2011, 08:26 PM   #188
trek_futurist
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: If you don't think Nemesis is better than Star trek 2009....

Santa Kang wrote: View Post
Pretty sure he was called "Kirk" in the script.
And that means?
trek_futurist is offline  
Old December 21 2011, 08:27 PM   #189
trek_futurist
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: If you don't think Nemesis is better than Star trek 2009....

horatio83 wrote: View Post
trek_futurist wrote: View Post
A different person, meaning a complete imbecile?
PIKE: Because I looked up your file while you were drooling on the floor. Your aptitude tests are off the charts, so what is it? You like being the only genius-level repeat offender in the midwest?

Just to provide some facts.

One can discuss whether Kirk wouldn't be a more complex character if he had some of those traits prominent in the first season of TOS and the Meyer films.
One can discuss whether the Tattoomulans should have been less one-dimensional.
One can discuss whether the movie sacrificed thematic depth at the cost of action and pacing.

But going off the deep end, calling Kirk an imposter or an imbecile, is not an actual discussion, it s a stupid rant without substance. Nothing against polemics but not on such a low level.
If imposter kirk presented substance of any kind, I would be the first to discuss it.
trek_futurist is offline  
Old December 21 2011, 08:29 PM   #190
trek_futurist
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: If you don't think Nemesis is better than Star trek 2009....

BillJ wrote: View Post
KingDaniel wrote: View Post
trek_futurist wrote: View Post
In order to create a space/time portal, like the one witnessed in DS9, that we know as a 'wormhole' you have to have two points of the curvature of space/time meeting and effectively lessening the distance between two points. But in DS9, with the bajoran wormhole, it was space you were traversing, not time. But the same parameters apply. Both are based in relativity, and have potential for logical scientific explanation even in a fictional universe based on scientific principles. This red matter/black hole/time portal non-sense does not!
Read this: http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/as...s/041130a.html

Black holes were previously used for travel through space and time in "Tomorrow is Yesterday" and "Star Trek: The Motion Picture"
Well, in Tomorrow is Yesterday it isn't travel through the black hole that causes the time travel, it's the forces required to pull away from it that did.
And at least they provided some scientific background or explanation for it, even if it was just theoretical. There is no such thing in star trek 2009.
trek_futurist is offline  
Old December 21 2011, 08:30 PM   #191
horatio83
Commodore
 
Re: If you don't think Nemesis is better than Star trek 2009....

trek_futurist wrote: View Post
horatio83 wrote: View Post
trek_futurist wrote: View Post
A different person, meaning a complete imbecile?
PIKE: Because I looked up your file while you were drooling on the floor. Your aptitude tests are off the charts, so what is it? You like being the only genius-level repeat offender in the midwest?

Just to provide some facts.

One can discuss whether Kirk wouldn't be a more complex character if he had some of those traits prominent in the first season of TOS and the Meyer films.
One can discuss whether the Tattoomulans should have been less one-dimensional.
One can discuss whether the movie sacrificed thematic depth at the cost of action and pacing.

But going off the deep end, calling Kirk an imposter or an imbecile, is not an actual discussion, it s a stupid rant without substance. Nothing against polemics but not on such a low level.
If imposter kirk presented substance of any kind, I would be the first to discuss it.
Kirk is capitalized like any name and he is not an imposter just cause you say so. If your posts provided any substance I would be the first one to discuss with you.
__________________
The illegal we do immediately; the unconstitutional takes a little longer. - former US Secretary of State and unconvicted war criminal Henry Kissinger
horatio83 is offline  
Old December 21 2011, 08:31 PM   #192
trek_futurist
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: If you don't think Nemesis is better than Star trek 2009....

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
trek_futurist wrote: View Post
In order to create a space/time portal, like the one witnessed in DS9, that we know as a 'wormhole' you have to have two points of the curvature of space/time meeting and effectively lessening the distance between two points. But in DS9, with the bajoran wormhole, it was space you were traversing, not time. But the same parameters apply. Both are based in relativity, and have potential for logical scientific explanation even in a fictional universe based on scientific principles. This red matter/black hole/time portal non-sense does not!
Read this: http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/as...s/041130a.html

Black holes were previously used for travel through space and time in "Tomorrow is Yesterday" and "Star Trek: The Motion Picture"
Star Trek the motion picture featured a wormhole, not a black hole. And it was a worm hole of relative space, not relative time.
trek_futurist is offline  
Old December 21 2011, 08:34 PM   #193
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral
 
Chemahkuu's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: If you don't think Nemesis is better than Star trek 2009....

He means the black hole Voyager 6 fell into, not the warp imbalance wormhole the Enterprise engines created, nitwit.
Chemahkuu is offline  
Old December 21 2011, 08:38 PM   #194
trek_futurist
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: If you don't think Nemesis is better than Star trek 2009....

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
He means the black hole Voyager 6 fell into, not the warp imbalance wormhole the Enterprise engines created, nitwit.
That was not described as a time portal! Please educate yourself more.

And didn't someone say it was NOT okay to name call on this forum?

I have not called a person a name once and this person gets away with it? Talk about bias.
trek_futurist is offline  
Old December 21 2011, 08:39 PM   #195
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: If you don't think Nemesis is better than Star trek 2009....

trek_futurist wrote: View Post
Santa Kang wrote: View Post
Pretty sure he was called "Kirk" in the script.
And that means?
That character is Kirk.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
nemesis, philosophy, science, star trek (2009 film)

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.