IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 19 2011, 10:12 PM   #2656
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Second, the trailer does an awful job communicating its genre. If I didn't know that The Dark Knight Rises were based on a comic book character, I wouldn't think it was a super-hero movie.
Well that was already the case with TDK. It was miles away from being a basic super-hero movie.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2011, 10:12 PM   #2657
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

davejames wrote: View Post
Besides, we've already seen two Nolan Batman movies. We should have a good idea by now what kind of movie to expect from him.
That's very true.

What struck me was how little Batman there was in the trailer, though, and that has to be deliberate, to the point where I genuinely wonder if The Dark Knight Rises will be a super-hero movie as we currently understand the term.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2011, 10:13 PM   #2658
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

@ CaptainCraigThe same average cinema-goer probably hadn't heard of Ras Al Ghul or Scarecrow from Batman Begins, either. Nor, for that matter, might they have known the villain from Iron Man or other superhero movies. They will, however, know Anne Hathaway and may be aware that she's playing Catwoman. I also think that fandom will be more worked up about the dodgy SFX than the average cinema-goer.

I think the fact that this is the long-awaited sequel to TDK and that Nolan's name is now better known than it was when that movie was released will doubtless compensate for any other 'shortcomings' (and I'm not persuaded that they exist) this trailer may have.

@ Allyn Gibson when Nolan and Goyer first got together to make what ultimately became Batman Begins, they talked about how cool it would be to make a trailer for a movie where you didn't realise that it was actually a Batman movie until the end. And thus it was with BB's first trailer. This is really just continuing that tradition.
Old December 19 2011, 10:17 PM   #2659
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Yminale wrote: View Post
First why wasn't there a separate thread for the trailer. I feel like a complete doofus for starting one.

Second, Am I in the minority for not liking the trailer. Michael Caine sounds really tired of saying the "You are a unique snowflake" speech he does in the past two movie. Ann Hathaway sounds awful. Like she's just phoning it in and reading her lines (why is Catwoman even in this?) and Bane. All he does is walk around (I guess the prologue will establish his character). And yes we see the flying Batmobile but it looks so fake. You can tell that it's suspended from wires.
Caine doesn't sound tired to me. Alfred sounds like he's on the verge of crying and is trying not to do so.

I thought that Anne Hathaway sounded just fine even a little menacing.

The "batmobile" does look a little shaky but the effects aren't finished yet.

For the first trailer it gives just enough to whet the appetite for the second trailer. I liked how it didn't give a lot of the story away. Too many trailers do that. Anyways after The Dark Knight I think that this movie is pretty much presold to Joe and Jane Sixpack. People are gonna see this movie regardless of the trailer.

BTW it was weird to see Batman out fighting in the daylight.
Old December 19 2011, 10:23 PM   #2660
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Yeah Alfred was emotional in that scene...and perhaps tired (but not Caine being tired) of seeing Bruce go through what he has. I actually thought that speech was the most poignant of the trailer.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2011, 10:30 PM   #2661
Saul
Rear Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I've only watched the trailer online. Looked great to me and I had no problem understanding Bane. Voice is slightly muffled, but, - hello - he's talking through a mask which fits over his mouth?
He didn't have any problem speaking clearly in Batman and Robin
Old December 19 2011, 10:32 PM   #2662
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ That film doesn't exist and if it did, he wouldn't be in it.
Old December 19 2011, 10:36 PM   #2663
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Maybe they can Christian Bale and Michael Caine get to do something like this:

JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2011, 10:43 PM   #2664
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

@ CaptainCraigThe same average cinema-goer probably hadn't heard of Ras Al Ghul or Scarecrow from Batman Begins, either. Nor, for that matter, might they have known the villain from Iron Man or other superhero movies. They will, however, know Anne Hathaway and may be aware that she's playing Catwoman. I also think that fandom will be more worked up about the dodgy SFX than the average cinema-goer.

I think the fact that this is the long-awaited sequel to TDK and that Nolan's name is now better known than it was when that movie was released will doubtless compensate for any other 'shortcomings' (and I'm not persuaded that they exist) this trailer may have.

@ Allyn Gibson when Nolan and Goyer first got together to make what ultimately became Batman Begins, they talked about how cool it would be to make a trailer for a movie where you didn't realise that it was actually a Batman movie until the end. And thus it was with BB's first trailer. This is really just continuing that tradition.
Well stated, and I'll go you one further, the average film goer isn't even going to know Nolan

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2011, 10:49 PM   #2665
davejames
Vice Admiral

What struck me was how little Batman there was in the trailer, though, and that has to be deliberate, to the point where I genuinely wonder if The Dark Knight Rises will be a super-hero movie as we currently understand the term.
Well the last one already felt like more of a crime thriller than a superhero movie anyway, so I don't expect that will change much here.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2011, 10:58 PM   #2666
nvek86
Commander

Oh, I thought that was a very good trailer. It may not have shown much of the story, but instead focused on the "atmosphere" of the film. It seems like it's going to be a very dark film (I mean: not even one little joke in the trailer? One line that isn't doom and gloom?).

And, granted he didn't say much, but I had no problem understanding Bane's line here.
nvek86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2011, 11:07 PM   #2667
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

so, what was his line?
Old December 19 2011, 11:16 PM   #2668
Occupy TNZ
I Can't Afford A Lobbyist

Second, the trailer does an awful job communicating its genre. If I didn't know that The Dark Knight Rises were based on a comic book character, I wouldn't think it was a super-hero movie.
Despite the visual presence of at least two costumed people, two scenes of those costumed people fighting each other and what can only be described as a flying bat mobile?

Ok...
Old December 19 2011, 11:17 PM   #2669
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
@Captain Craig, Again I'll give you the example of a couple of my friends who don't follow news, or post on message boards didn't even bring up the FX in the trailer and are excited for the film. They also don't read comics either. Granted these are just two people but I'd figure I'd give you at least a small example. Maybe this isn't the case for others who don't follow production news at a regular basis.
Maybe it'll all be a wash in the end. Two of the three guys in my department, who love comic films, weren't won over. One in particular said, "I expected more for a first teaser follow-up to TDK." I didn't correct him that 6min of footage isn't categorically a teaser.

I'd say the public was more interested in a new take on Batman post-Clooney than they were about the villians involved with Begins. Iron Man is a different comparison I think. To most all he was all new and RDJ sells that most of all. John Q Moviegoer may need something more to get him out is all I'm hypothosising. He/She might actually care who the villain is with a Batman and Gotham he's now famaliar. Which to Nolan's credit he tosses in Catwoman as Hathaway no less. I'm sure her push as co-star will come with more featured promos later.

I'm just playing Devil's Advocate, thinking out loud on the other side of the Nolan fandom lovefest is all. I'm going to the film.

I've seen fandom scratch their heads before. OMG how did Cars 2 not do better? Pirates 4 should've been way more of a hit. Super 8 was a $200m film for sure, Spielberg is attached.
If TDKR drops and drops too much lets not say we didn't analyze the scenarios, thus making us not surprised.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2011, 11:47 PM   #2670
Evil Headhunter
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Evil Headhunter Send a message via AIM to Evil Headhunter Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Evil Headhunter Send a message via Yahoo to Evil Headhunter

I just watched the trailer on YouTube and loved it every bit of it. I, too, had no problem understanding Bane.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Evil Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote