Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 19 2011, 09:04 PM   #2641
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

I'm assuming that Bane imprisons him at some point.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2011, 09:06 PM   #2642
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I'm assuming that Bane imprisons him at some point.
Didn't Bane do that in a story?
I feel he may have or I could just be confusing it with another storyline.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2011, 09:10 PM   #2643
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Look at him.. he looks like he did in Begins, and Nolan loves interweaving flashbacks

You could be right though, maybe Bruce has been in prison for 8 years.. Interesting.

My big gripe, aside from having Dent as a story point at all, was how little I felt from the trailer. Look at trailer #2 of TDK, each line, each image is memorable, and burned into my skull.. there is enough plot given away to have an idea of where it's going, and enough substance to see the tip of the philosophical battles, but when you watch the film you realize it all goes much deeper. By contrast, this story seems pretty thin and straightforward. A must-see for completeness sake, but it's just not as interesting.
Old December 19 2011, 09:10 PM   #2644
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Not that I recall at the moment. He did orchestrate an Arkham breakout though to wear him down mentally and physically in Knightfall.

Old December 19 2011, 09:17 PM   #2645
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I've only watched the trailer online. Looked great to me and I had no problem understanding Bane. Voice is slightly muffled, but, - hello - he's talking through a mask which fits over his mouth?
Old December 19 2011, 09:26 PM   #2646
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
I though that it also was Bruce in prison.. however, it looks like a flashback to a moment we didn't see when he was imprisoned abroad just before Begins starts. I think the chanting originates there, demons from the past crop again in Gotham.
I rather think the chanting is just the crowd in the football stadium, nothing special.

Like all those awesome Joker lines from the TDK trailer were concentrated in one single piece of monologue in the final movie.

Look at trailer #2 of TDK, each line, each image is memorable, and burned into my skull..
Just wait 3 years and trailer #2 of TDKR will probably be burned into your skull, too, if you like the movie that is.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2011, 09:29 PM   #2647
Tom Servo
Commodore

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Yminale wrote: View Post
Second, Am I in the minority for not liking the trailer.
Yes, yes we are...at least on internet forums.
And really, to clarify, I wouldn't say I don't like it but feel it's being treated as way more than it is.

To answer Jackson, do I really think it would have completed effects, no. So then why show a sequence that could give off an iffy first impression? Marvel seems to have learned that lesson with the first Iron Man footage and since then not shown imagery that wasn't up to par. Warners showed off sub par GL footage and never really recovered. I work in at IT oriented department and the non-online geeks down here aren't gushing over it the way the internet is. That's why I think it's fair to ask: What does Joe Q Public who isn't on internet message boards taking away from a trailer with bad vocals and iffy f/x?
As someone in the VFX industry, just a little insight into trailer VFX. Usually for VFX shots, there is what is called a temp version of a shot done just for a trailer, and director and producer screenings. The shots get to what is called temp stage, and then then after that, its worked upon until the finished shot is finaled for that film. Usually this temp version has the broad strokes of the shot covered, but a lot of the little details (paint and roto work, so integration issues) still unresolved. Its pretty incredible that you can make a decent looking shot when you're 75% done, but its that last 25% that make a shot go from cooling looking, to real looking, and can take the most amount of time.

That said trailer looks good. Im pumped.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2011, 09:35 PM   #2648
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

I though that it also was Bruce in prison.. however, it looks like a flashback to a moment we didn't see when he was imprisoned abroad just before Begins starts.
I don't think that's likely. Just look at all the grey in Christian Bale's hair in that scene. If he was meant to be younger (as in, a flashback scene), Bale would have been made-up to look younger. No, they want him to look older in that scene.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2011, 09:37 PM   #2649
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

This is the reason why it's a good trailer, imo. It makes you wonder about what the hell is going on.
Old December 19 2011, 09:42 PM   #2650
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I though that it also was Bruce in prison.. however, it looks like a flashback to a moment we didn't see when he was imprisoned abroad just before Begins starts.
I don't think that's likely. Just look at all the grey in Christian Bale's hair in that scene. If he was meant to be younger (as in, a flashback scene), Bale would have been made-up to look younger. No, they want him to look older in that scene.
I thought it might have been dust. But I'm not convinced it was a flashback scene either.
Old December 19 2011, 09:46 PM   #2651
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I thought it might have been dust. But I'm not convinced it was a flashback scene either.
We see Bane's henchmen roping down that "prison"/staircase hall, so it's probably not a flashback.
Old December 19 2011, 10:01 PM   #2652
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
This is the reason why it's a good trailer, imo. It makes you wonder about what the hell is going on.
Though I get excited and all a-quiver every time I watch it, I'm not sure it's a good trailer.

First, the trailer does a poor job communicating story beats. There's an urban terrorist, and he destroys a football stadium. There's fighting in the streets. And there's running through tunnels.

Second, the trailer does an awful job communicating its genre. If I didn't know that The Dark Knight Rises were based on a comic book character, I wouldn't think it was a super-hero movie.

That said, I have the impression that Nolan has captured the OWS zeitgeist in DKR. If so, Nolan was ahead of the curve.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2011, 10:08 PM   #2653
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Tom Servo wrote: View Post
Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Yminale wrote: View Post
Second, Am I in the minority for not liking the trailer.
Yes, yes we are...at least on internet forums.
And really, to clarify, I wouldn't say I don't like it but feel it's being treated as way more than it is.

To answer Jackson, do I really think it would have completed effects, no. So then why show a sequence that could give off an iffy first impression? Marvel seems to have learned that lesson with the first Iron Man footage and since then not shown imagery that wasn't up to par. Warners showed off sub par GL footage and never really recovered. I work in at IT oriented department and the non-online geeks down here aren't gushing over it the way the internet is. That's why I think it's fair to ask: What does Joe Q Public who isn't on internet message boards taking away from a trailer with bad vocals and iffy f/x?
As someone in the VFX industry, just a little insight into trailer VFX. Usually for VFX shots, there is what is called a temp version of a shot done just for a trailer, and director and producer screenings. The shots get to what is called temp stage, and then then after that, its worked upon until the finished shot is finaled for that film. Usually this temp version has the broad strokes of the shot covered, but a lot of the little details (paint and roto work, so integration issues) still unresolved. Its pretty incredible that you can make a decent looking shot when you're 75% done, but its that last 25% that make a shot go from cooling looking, to real looking, and can take the most amount of time.

That said trailer looks good. Im pumped.
Thanks for the clarification and while I understand in broad strokes it's not done and that it doesn't deter me from seeing the movie not everyone gets to hear/read your explanation. Nor knows someone to give it to them.

My question, and maybe I've not been clear, is not for me but for Mr.General Moviegoer whose only exposure is going to be that prologue. Whose next exposure will only be the SuperBowl. They aren't going to follow the chatter at SuperHeroHype, ComicBook Resources, iO9, /Film etc. At most they may see an Entertainment Weekly cover story. If they feel it's hard to understand the bad guy(that they may not recognize or remember) and that the f/x were shaky will that hamper further impressions of the film for them? It could, they may not be as forgiving as the internet and fandom.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2011, 10:10 PM   #2654
davejames
Vice Admiral

First, the trailer does a poor job communicating story beats. There's an urban terrorist, and he destroys a football stadium. There's fighting in the streets. And there's running through tunnels.

Second, the trailer does an awful job communicating its genre. If I didn't know that The Dark Knight Rises were based on a comic book character, I wouldn't think it was a super-hero movie.
Well personally I like not having the story all laid out for me in the trailer. All I need is an idea of the tone and style and a sense of how huge and epic the movie will be-- all of which Nolan gets across perfectly here.

Besides, we've already seen two Nolan Batman movies. We should have a good idea by now what kind of movie to expect from him.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2011, 10:11 PM   #2655
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

@Captain Craig, Again I'll give you the example of a couple of my friends who don't follow news, or post on message boards didn't even bring up the FX in the trailer and are excited for the film. They also don't read comics either. Granted these are just two people but I'd figure I'd give you at least a small example. Maybe this isn't the case for others who don't follow production news at a regular basis.