Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old December 15 2011, 05:49 PM   #556
John Clark
Commodore

Re: Mass Effect 3

Hanukkah Solo wrote: View Post
Huzzah!

Armor aside, I'm just glad to have Ashley back.
Same here. She was nearly always in my squad on ME1. The team I usually had chosen may not have been the most well balanced but it certainly got the job done. (Usually two soldiers and a Biotic)
Old December 16 2011, 03:59 PM   #557
Jeyl
Commodore

Just to reiterate...

"TAKE BACK EARTH!"

No.

*Blows Earth up*

Finally, a unique universe for once.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2011, 11:43 PM   #558
Skywalker
Admiral

Indeed. The galaxy is a lot bigger than Earth.

Besides, my character isn't from Earth. Why should he care about it?
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2011, 05:20 AM   #559
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Because shut up.
Old December 17 2011, 06:20 AM   #560
Skywalker
Admiral

Was that a Renegade interrupt?
Old December 17 2011, 08:56 AM   #561
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

You're working too hard.

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2011, 12:46 PM   #562
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Considering this is the first game to have anything to do with Earth, its hardly fair to accuse the series of being Earth-centric. Quite the opposite. Besides, it's been made pretty clear that there's a lot more at stake in this game than just Earth, Earth is just where it started.

Indeed, I fully expect there to be a way to complete the game where the Reapers loose but Earth is left a lifeless rock.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2011, 01:26 PM   #563
Skywalker
Admiral

It's not so much that Mass Effect has been Earth-centric. It hasn't, really; in fact, one of the more refreshing aspects of the first game was how unimportant Earth really was, especially compared to other sci-fi settings (like Star Trek) where Earth is the center of everything.

But Mass Effect started drifting back towards familiar territory starting with the second game and its "humans are more important to the Reapers and the most genetically diverse species in the galaxy" stuff, finally culminating in Shepard's trial being held on Earth rather than a more logical location such as Arcturus Station or, even better, the Citadel. If the only reason for Shepard being tried on Earth is because they needed an excuse to have him there when the Reapers attacked, they could have come up with a better one that works within the setting.
Old December 17 2011, 03:43 PM   #564
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Since the Batarians withdrew from Citadel space, I think the events of Arrival are strictly between the Systems Alliance and the Batarian Hegemony, so Arcturus Station would be the most logical place to hold a trial. I'm sure the other council races will chime in with condemnation, but by their own rules it's none of their business.

As for the human/reaper thing...well at some point the stakes for a hero have to become personal, and what's more personal than your entire species being liquefied? Even so, it's not like the reapers plan to make baby human reapers and then skedaddle back into dark space; they're going to wipe out all of the other space faring species and fix the damn keepers so they don't have to walk back next time too. So like I said, I can really see a "victorious" ending where Earth is still lost.
Old December 17 2011, 04:02 PM   #565
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Hanukkah Solo wrote: View Post
It's not so much that Mass Effect has been Earth-centric. It hasn't, really; in fact, one of the more refreshing aspects of the first game was how unimportant Earth really was, especially compared to other sci-fi settings (like Star Trek) where Earth is the center of everything.

But Mass Effect started drifting back towards familiar territory starting with the second game and its "humans are more important to the Reapers and the most genetically diverse species in the galaxy" stuff, finally culminating in Shepard's trial being held on Earth rather than a more logical location such as Arcturus Station or, even better, the Citadel. If the only reason for Shepard being tried on Earth is because they needed an excuse to have him there when the Reapers attacked, they could have come up with a better one that works within the setting.
To be fair, it seems like the whole point of the "reclaim Earth" thing is to give the galactic war effort a bit more focus than just "save as many people as possible." It makes it easier to build a story arc since you've got a concrete goal (save Earth) on top of the abstract goal (defeat the Reapers) since they're able to guide you through a coherent set of steps to save Earth and then defeat the Reapers.
Old December 18 2011, 05:19 PM   #566
HotRod
Commander

Dear god I'm loving the Alliance paint scheme.

HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2011, 09:21 PM   #567
Skywalker
Admiral

Indeed. I'm just glad to be rid of the Cerberus colors.
Old December 19 2011, 05:54 PM   #568
HotRod
Commander

I didn't mind the Cerberus colours so much as I hated working for Cerberus. But theres just something about the White, Black & Blue just really works for me. Seems very suiting for my Paragon.
HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2011, 07:52 AM   #569
Skywalker
Admiral

I feel the same way. The colors themselves were fine (black, gold, and white is an excellent color scheme), I just didn't like working for Cerberus, either.

To be honest, I kinda wish Shepard could have been acting independently in ME3, not representing any one particular faction, but that ship sailed with the end of Arrival.
Old December 20 2011, 08:18 PM   #570
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I've said it before and I'll say it again; my sole survivor femShep would *never* work for Cerberus and I hated how they railroaded you in ME2 without ever giving you the opportunity to object. I'm convinced she's been indoctrinated by Reaper elevator music or something.