Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Closed Thread

Old December 15 2011, 06:16 AM   #76
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701
Re: If you don't think Nemesis is better than Star trek 2009....

trek_futurist wrote: View Post
.....Well, quite simply put, you are not a Star trek fan.
Oh, I like this game! My turn!

Umm... you're not a Star Trek fan if you have underscores in your username! This is fun, who's next?

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old December 15 2011, 07:07 AM   #77
Dukhat
Commodore

I know, I know!!! If you don't have an avatar picture on the TrekBBS, you're not a Star Trek fan!!!
Old December 15 2011, 07:23 AM   #78
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

If you don't like Star Trek, then you're not a Star Trek fan.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old December 15 2011, 11:37 AM   #79
Robert D. Robot
Captain

^ OK... now run this by me again- slowly, please....
Your statement is confusing to me, but I do find the concept VERY intriguing.....
Old December 15 2011, 03:24 PM   #80
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

Ohh... I got one!

If the majority of your posts thusfar on this BBS are inhumane, divisive, rude, unenlightened, and intolerant while you talk copiously about how "your" Star Trek is about humanism, intelligence, and tolerance you are not a Star Trek fan.
Old December 15 2011, 11:03 PM   #81
BrownShatner
Lieutenant Commander

I'm imagining the OP sitting there wearing his uniform and vulcan ears while cracking his knuckles. "Time to purge fandom of the heretics who have sworn allegiance to the false god of ST09! bwahahaha"

Anyway, I was hoping for a more vigorous defense of Nemesis than "humanistic". Part of me wants to believe it was almost a good movie.
Old December 15 2011, 11:15 PM   #82
The Dominion
Fleet Captain

In a contest between a terrible movie that was a another painful re-concluding of TNG vs a forgettable but entertaining romp, I'd sooner not spend too much time on either.

But if I had to choose, I feel my fan "cred" would actually be saved a bit by going with the one that was at least entertaining without hurting much, rather than the abomination.

It's like choosing between watching Leave it to Beaver, or getting hit by a sock full of batteries. I'd go with the beaver and feel no shame.
Old December 15 2011, 11:51 PM   #83
sonak
Vice Admiral

The Dominion wrote: View Post
In a contest between a terrible movie that was a another painful re-concluding of TNG vs a forgettable but entertaining romp, I'd sooner not spend too much time on either.

But if I had to choose, I feel my fan "cred" would actually be saved a bit by going with the one that was at least entertaining without hurting much, rather than the abomination.

It's like choosing between watching Leave it to Beaver, or getting hit by a sock full of batteries. I'd go with the beaver and feel no shame.

what do you mean by another painful re-concluding of TNG? When was there an attempted conclusion of TNG before?
Old December 15 2011, 11:53 PM   #84
nightwind1
Commodore

[QUOTE=Greg Cox;5423218]
.....Well, quite simply put, you are not a Star trek fan.QUOTE]
To be honest, I'm not quite sure why it seems so important to some people to establish who the real fans are . . .
Well, they have to try and make up for the size of their penises somehow...
Old December 15 2011, 11:59 PM   #85
nightwind1
Commodore

[QUOTE=trek_futurist;5423599][QUOTE=KingDaniel;5423581]

No, most of the blunders between TOS and TNG were either mistakes or lapses in memory on the part of the writers. Nothing that intentionally devours canon as in ENT and the 2009 thing.
Bullshit. One of the most egregious "deficatiing", as you put it, was the TNG+ Klingons. Klingons were never honorable warriors. The honorable warriors were the Romulans, as evidenced in Balance of Terror. Klingons were nasty, slimy thugs who farted in airlocks (just ask David Gerrold). Therefore, the deviations in Klingons from TNG onward were purposeful disregard for true Trek canon.

Or something...
Old December 16 2011, 01:29 AM   #86
RoJoHen
Awesome

I left Nemesis thinking, "Man, that was disappointing."

I left Star Trek '09 thinking, "That was awesome!"

And yet...somehow...I still manage to enjoy lots of other Star Trek shows and movies. It's just crazy how that works out!

I like the ST09 better than Nemesis because Nemesis sucked balls. It has nothing to do with whether one of those movies is more true to the spirit of Star Trek than the other. ST09 is simply more entertaining.
Old December 16 2011, 01:41 AM   #87
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

I will say that I don't think that Nemesis was nearly as bad as I hear it get a rap for. It certainly wasn't great, but I enjoyed it plenty enough. ST09 is probably my favorite of the movies though. It is a movie that I just had a ton of fun watching. It may not have been a cinematic masterpiece, but I enjoyed it and I had fun. I'm finding more and more that that's important to me- if the movie doesn't emotional suck me in or get me invested, then I want to have fun. That's where I have become so enthralled with movies like ST09, Sherlock Holmes, and The A-Team. I came out of those movies and I had an absolute blast!

Old December 16 2011, 01:51 AM   #88
RoJoHen
Awesome

I think the main reason Nemesis bugs me is that it's the last TNG movie. As their grand finale, it should really be a lot more than it is. I didn't mind it all that much in the theater, but after it became clear that there would be no more TNG, it bothers me knowing that NEM is the end.

And hell, no Trek movie has ever packed as emotional a punch as ST09 did. I was sobbing ten minutes into the movie with the destruction of the Kelvin the death of George Kirk. And then the movie shocked the hell out of me when they killed off Amanda! I was completely blown away.

Data died in NEM, and the most I could think was, "Well, good thing he downloaded his consciousness in B-4 earlier in the movie."
Old December 16 2011, 02:02 AM   #89
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

^The first 10 minutes were amazing! I don't think any other movie has gotten me quite like the opening parts of ST09 did. It still gets me everytime I see it. I was shocked by the bold move to kill Amanda and destroy Vulcan, though it was less of an emotional response and more just being shocked that they would make a move like that. My reaction to those two things was very similar to my reaction in Avatar when they destroyed home tree. "Bah, they're the good guys. They won't really destroy the good guy's "base".... Holy shit, they actually did it!!!"

I definitely agree that Data's death had no punch to it and havig B-4 really didn't help its cause either.

Old December 16 2011, 02:07 AM   #90
RoJoHen
Awesome

snowman1701 wrote: View Post
I was shocked by the bold move to kill Amanda and destroy Vulcan, though it was less of an emotional response and more just being shocked that they would make a move like that. My reaction to those two things was very similar to my reaction in Avatar when they destroyed home tree. "Bah, they're the good guys. They won't really destroy the good guy's "base".... Holy shit, they actually did it!!!"
Yeah, that was my same reaction. I think I sat there with my mouth wide open in amazement when I realized that Amanda had just fucking fallen off a cliff. My emotional reaction came later when I saw Spock...and then when Sarek comes by and tells Spock the real reason he married Amanda..."because I loved her."

Man, for an emotionless race, they managed to get some pretty strong reactions out of me!