Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 2 2009, 12:59 AM   #16
Christopher
Writer

Re: IRON MAN: ARMORED ADVENTURES (Spoilers)

I'm not sure this show is worth doing a separate thread for each episode, so I'm just going to continue here, and the mod can change the title if that's appropriate.

This week's episode was okay. Not too bad a story, kind of by the numbers, but some decent banter. There was a coherent reason given why the teen Mandarin aka Gene Khan would end up as part of Tony Stark's circle of friends, so that wasn't too contrived. (And I liked Happy Hogan's "KHAAAAAANNNNNN!!!!!")

The thing I like best about this show is its look. I think it's improved since the pilot, but the use of color, light, and texture is very good here, making the backgrounds look realistic, especially the cityscapes. Or maybe realistic isn't the word -- there's an almost painted quality to them. It's beautiful, in an understated, slightly grungy sort of way.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2011, 08:28 PM   #17
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: IRON MAN: ARMORED ADVENTURES: "Iron Forged in Fire" (Spoilers)

Apology for the necromancy but felt it better than starting a new one really.

I got Armored Adventures Season 1 back about the first of November on Amazon, the entire first season, for $14. Making each episode about $.55 so not a bad gamble I thought.

I'm up through episode 19, Technovore, and I'm really enjoying it. As Christopher notes in the OP, once you get past the concept of them being teens and a hyperactive Pepper and just go with it the characters and show itself are quite fun. They've taken a page from the Spiderman book by making Tony and Gene(Mandarin) friends ala Peter and Harry Osborn. The season one arc of finding all the Maklaun rings makes for a good idea imo as well.
A large portion of Iron Man's rogues gallery has thus far been shown and their updates are interesting at times. We've had Black Panther show up and Nick Fury guest star.

Anyone else had a chance to view this series since the show came out. Is season 2 as strong? I noticed a thread on that. Haven't noticed a box set for all of season 2 yet though unless I've overlooked it.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2011, 09:17 PM   #18
Christopher
Writer

I actually haven't felt season 2 was quite as effective as season 1. It's got some interesting arc stuff going on, but sometimes the writing is kind of crude. And the animation isn't great.

Season 2 is only half-finished; the mid-season finale aired a couple of weeks ago and the second half of the season will air next year. So it's way too early for a DVD release of the full season.

Old December 13 2011, 10:36 PM   #19
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^
Didn't realize that about season 2.
So the animation style/team is different in S1? I'm ok with how the animation in S1 has turned out.

The musical jingle for the show is also a bit catchy. I was indifferent at first but it's grown on me. So many shows have omitted a jingle that it's a nice throwback in and of itself.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2011, 10:53 PM   #20
Christopher
Writer

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
So the animation style/team is different in S1?
No, the animation style is the same; it's just never been all that good. On the whole, 3D animation doesn't look that good unless it has a lot of time and budget behind it. What I said in the original post was that the 3D animation here was better than on some past shows -- shows that had really bad cel-shaded CG -- but still had a lot of weaknesses.