RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,411
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 500
Newest member: DasGeneral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 12 2011, 10:39 AM   #166
MichaelDornFan
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Dexter

I think they might be setting up the Louis/the intern as next season's villain... In which case this is one of the few parts of the season they've done relatively well.
MichaelDornFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2011, 11:58 AM   #167
Jax
Admiral

MichaelDornFan wrote: View Post
Wow, the show has been deteriorating for a while, but the incest stuff is a very clear jumping-the-shark milestone for this show. To the point where if they actually explore this plot line further, "Jump the shark" should probably be replaced with "Bang the sister."
Yeh the writers need to put that one back from wherever it came from. Yes there not blood related but for all intense and purposes they are brother/sister so please leave it like that

The finale looks good and overall this season has been better than last I feel, the religion angle has been well done IMO.
Old December 12 2011, 01:08 PM   #168
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

I knew they were going in that direction the moment the therapist started asking her about Dexter and the fact that they weren't biologically related came up. It's definitely an off putting notion but that's the point and I don't get why everyone here seems so against it from a creative perspective.

I'm loving this season. I just hope EJO shows up again for the finale.
Old December 12 2011, 03:28 PM   #169
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The therapist should only approach the subject to diffuse it in controlled safe environment, because it's radically unhealthy and...

That's either the worst therapist in the world or Debs Dark Passenger.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2011, 04:54 PM   #170
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

WeAreTheBorg wrote: View Post

I'm loving this season. I just hope EJO shows up again for the finale.
well part of him did this last episode.

so deb is having romantic feeling for her half/brother which is kinda sick. I know there not physically related but they grew up as brother and sister.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2011, 05:12 PM   #171
Jax
Admiral

so deb is having romantic feeling for her half/brother which is kinda sick. I know there not physically related but they grew up as brother and sister.
There not half siblings.
Old December 12 2011, 05:13 PM   #172
Santeria
Lieutenant Commander

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
That's either the worst therapist in the world or Debs Dark Passenger.
Jokes aside, I honestly had that suspicion as well.

Also, yeah, Deb's having weird dreams where she's confusing her feelings for Dexter with romantic feelings. But that's all they are; there's been no signs that she's actually going to try to go that route in reality. It's just one more thing to add to her growing list of stress on the road to a meltdown. Quit overreacting.
Santeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2011, 07:24 PM   #173
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

I know their not related but I don't like where this show is going, its as bad as bordwalk empire
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2011, 09:53 PM   #174
MichaelDornFan
Lieutenant Commander

I did notice the therapist was in the background watching Deb & Dex when they were with the EMT after the gas attack.
MichaelDornFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2011, 10:31 PM   #175
billcosby
Commodore

MichaelDornFan wrote: View Post
I did notice the therapist was in the background watching Deb & Dex when they were with the EMT after the gas attack.
I didn't see that! Interesting.

There is some real weirdness in the Deb feelings for Dex department. The real weirdness for me stems from very little foreshadowing of that in the season(s) before. It kind of dropped like a bomb out of nowhere. So I'm in the belief that it only exists to
a) stress Deb out more
b) intensify the feelings when she finds out Dex is a serial killer

Anyway, I enjoyed this season but they really have to shake [the series] up and fast. Deb should walk in on Dex killing Tom Hanks Jr during the finale and if that doesn't happen, it should happen immediately next season.

We were teased about this in last year's finale and it was kind of a cop out not to go through with it. But I guess they played with the idea of a "single Dexter" as opposed to one with a girly-girlfriend nearly all the time.

PS. Quinn and Angel and their antics had me roaring all season... which I assume will end up with Deb happily demoted and Angel taking her place once the dust settles from the thing with Capt. Shitface.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2011, 07:16 PM   #176
davejames
Vice Admiral

WeAreTheBorg wrote: View Post
I knew they were going in that direction the moment the therapist started asking her about Dexter and the fact that they weren't biologically related came up. It's definitely an off putting notion but that's the point and I don't get why everyone here seems so against it from a creative perspective.
Yeah it's a deeply off putting idea, but at least it's a daring and edgy storyline. Feels like it's been way too long since this show has had one of those.

And with all she's been through, it does kinda make sense that Debra might have a moment of confusion about her strange relationship with Dexer-- as long as the writers don't take it too much further than that.

billcosby wrote: View Post
We were teased about this in last year's finale and it was kind of a cop out not to go through with it. But I guess they played with the idea of a "single Dexter" as opposed to one with a girly-girlfriend nearly all the time.
That would have been an awesome reveal last year (and it still seems contrived as hell that Debra suddenly decided to let them go), but frankly that's just too good a moment to waste on a lame season and villain like this one.

Save it for next season instead, and really do it right.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2011, 07:33 PM   #177
LitmusDragon
Commodore

I'm pretty happy with this season as a whole. When I heard the topic was going to be religion my big fear was that they would give Dexter some kind of religious conversion that would later be reversed (which would be totally out of character) but thankfully they've kept him about where he should be regarding the subject. The villain this year is kind of a numbskull but I think that's kind of the point of the character. I think the intern is a pretty interesting character and don't quite get what he's about yet, which is good. The Deb + Dex thing I think is just there to be provocative, and it's fine in that context.

The voice over is still horrible (half the time it's Dexter being Captain Obvious for the sake of really, really stupid viewers) and Harry only makes it worse, since he takes over what would otherwise be important voice over, forcing the writers to use Dexter's narration to impart far less essential (or obvious) information.
I think they've always been like that. I noticed it during my last rewatch of the first couple of seasons. I'd like to think he's intentionally written that way. Not very smart at anything except killing. Sort of a murder savant.

Last edited by LitmusDragon; December 13 2011 at 07:48 PM.
LitmusDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2011, 08:20 PM   #178
davejames
Vice Admiral

FYI, there's a pretty good 24 min interview with Hall today on NPR. He talks about the divorce, and playing Dexter in the first season vs now.

http://www.npr.org/2011/12/12/143575...dexter?ps=cprs
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2011, 09:03 PM   #179
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Here's an article about the incest "trend" on tv:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...boo-on-tv.html specifically Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, Lost and a few other shows. Hopefully this is just a brief flirtation of this and that the writers will drop this by the end of this season's finale. It's ok with me that they just touch on it but to do anything past a brief flirtation is a mistake. It's kind of icky and really just came out of nowhere.

Last edited by Enterprise is Great; December 13 2011 at 09:23 PM.
Enterprise is Great is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2011, 09:57 PM   #180
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Uhm, the incest idea in Game of Thrones is not a TV thing. Martin came up with that when he wrote the book back in the early 90's.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote