Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 6 2011, 11:09 PM   #76
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: Charlie Brooker Black Mirror

Peer pressure will make him fuck a pig.

He controls a sizeable nuclear arsenal.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2011, 03:01 PM   #77
Starkers
Admiral

No comments on the second one?

I thought it was excellent, considering the short running time they did a lot of world building, and the guy from Fades was brilliant again.

Lost it a bit at the end, I thought it was a trifle predictable and suddenly Bing became a very obvious mary sue for Brooker (does that man hate himself? It seemed very self piteous. "Oh I know I sold out and became famous for doing angry rants, but pity me, I'm in a cage too..." ) but overall it was v good, probably better than the first one which surprised me.
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2011, 03:07 PM   #78
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

I thought it was very poor and obvious and just hit you over the head with some very blunt observations.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2011, 03:09 PM   #79
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

So we are to beleive that they've been underground so long that world has healed, or that there was nothign wrong with the world, or even that there's enough solar power out there that the Bikes are a little joke the rich are having on the poor... Which is not too dissimillar to some of the jokes the rich play on the poor these days.

Which I suppose is the point.

Old December 13 2011, 03:12 PM   #80
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

View George Bailey's Twitter Profile

I also liked it more than the first. Someone on my twitter stream said when he trashed the room after seeing her on the adult channel would also have been a good place to end it, being such a strongly emotional scene.

I didn't think that was the point in the ending. He wasn't in so much of a cage as other people, he got to see the real world, have actual orange juice, and personal space. Seemed more about simple pleasures can do more for you than all the technology we surround ourselves with.
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
George Bailey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2011, 04:29 PM   #81
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

I thought this was very good......and i was chuckling to myself while watching it on 4OD as it dawned on my i had to watch the adverts as well. LOL

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2011, 08:32 PM   #82
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I also liked it more than the first one. I reminded a me this talk I saw once (the real meat of the issue starts around the 20 minute mark) on how big companies will attempt to use the acquisition of points to get us to consume their advertising, purchase their products and live "better" lives. The professor giving the talk did so with great enthusiasm, but I watched in horror as he described what I consider to be a dystopian future. But one thing gives me hope...

Holidays and Turkey wrote: View Post
I thought this was very good......and i was chuckling to myself while watching it on 4OD as it dawned on my i had to watch the adverts as well. LOL
...the fact that I didn't see any ads while watching the show. There will always be technologically savvy people out there that will find a way to circumvent these new methods of advertising as they become more and more intrusive. The characters we saw in this program were like the future's version of Internet Explorer users.

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
So we are to beleive that they've been underground so long that world has healed, or that there was nothign wrong with the world.
Are you entirely sure that those windows weren't just another screen?
Old December 13 2011, 08:35 PM   #83
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

Charlie Brooker tweeted that he wants to make the song from the episode Christmas Number One... The original obviously not the one in the show.

You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
Old December 13 2011, 11:46 PM   #84
Starkers
Admiral

Skutter Claws wrote: View Post
I also liked it more than the first. Someone on my twitter stream said when he trashed the room after seeing her on the adult channel would also have been a good place to end it, being such a strongly emotional scene.

I didn't think that was the point in the ending. He wasn't in so much of a cage as other people, he got to see the real world, have actual orange juice, and personal space. Seemed more about simple pleasures can do more for you than all the technology we surround ourselves with.
That's an interesting point was it a screen or windows? At the end of the day the look on Bing's face says he's still in a prison, that's my take anyway.
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2011, 11:52 PM   #85
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

Three Wise Doctors wrote: View Post
Skutter Claws wrote: View Post

That's an interesting point was it a screen or windows? At the end of the day the look on Bing's face says he's still in a prison, that's my take anyway.
I thought it was more he still didn't have what he really wanted, that being Abi. Though who knows.
Old December 13 2011, 11:58 PM   #86
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

That was a quantum leap in graphics technology.

All we'd seen before now was cartoons.

Possibly the bicyclists didn't deserve/earn decent graphics?

Old December 19 2011, 11:37 AM   #87
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

I have to say the first episode was the worst of the three. The last episode was a great use of the technological "What-If" they were going for. Everyone has had those arguments where you both recall things differently, imagine how difficult it would make life if you could just recall it at the touch of a button like that? And really a good extrapolation where the chronicling our lives on Social Networking sites really could do to your lives if taken to the extremes.
Old December 19 2011, 06:52 PM   #88
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I liked this one too, it was about on par with the second episode for me. I liked how I spent most of the episode thinking Liam was a dick that was accusing his wife based on the flimsiest of evidence, but then you realise that this was based on suspicions that have been bubbling in his mind for over a year that were justified. It, ironically, brought back memories from my own past that I'd rather not remember. I've seen people complaining elsewhere that they didn't fully explore the concept and how it would be used by the police or whatever, but I liked how it used the sci-fi concept to tell a smaller character story. Seeing how technology affects society as a whole can be a treasure-trove of good storytelling, but exploring how it impacts individuals and their relationships is no less important.

Also, that sex scene where they relived a past, more exciting sexual experience was one of the most disturbing sex scenes I've seen in a while, which is saying something considering I watched a Prime Minister fucking a pig two weeks ago.
Old December 19 2011, 06:59 PM   #89
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

^Well they kinda did explore the wider implications with the airport security stopping and having him replay the last couple of days and the last half an hour. The job performance review where they'll do a big recall of your time at the company, the talk of using it to sue your parents for trauma that happened to you as a child which you believe has adversely effected your life. The wider implications were there, albeit in a truncated form.
Old December 20 2011, 01:19 AM   #90
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Nonplussed.

I've seen this technology before, and they hardly scratched the surface about how it can chip away at ones humanity.

Harlon Ellison wrote briefly about parents suing there parents in the 70s.

Seriously.

Knowing that your wife is cheating on you and she doesn't know you know is power. Power you can use.

Forcing her to admit, makes her go away.

"I was on a break" is from friends 20 fucking years ago.

Good god in the wake of Dollhouse, how is this tech scary?

Gouging is fun.

But wirelessly uploading additional years of information into people would be hilarious, from a hackers perspective.