Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 15 2011, 08:08 PM   #16
Newspaper Taxi
Captain

Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Comic Book "Reboot."

Umm...Raph's re-worked origin sotry reminds me of another ill-fated character backstory:
Old November 2 2011, 04:24 AM   #17
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I've read issue #3 and enjoyed the backstory provided by Casey about his relationship with his Father. The how's and why's of him putting up with the drunkard abuser.

I'm also curious to get more on Old Hob, how he came to run a street gang and what ties he may have made in the past 18 months since the transformation.

I do like that Hob is this mystery they are giving us out of the gate when the obvious crutch would've been to use Shredder. That of course is going to make his appearance when it does happen that much more anticipatory.
Captain Craig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2011, 04:53 AM   #18
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, I have Number 3 too and I'm still really enjoying this series.

Now a quibble. I know in the original books the turtles all wore red for their bandannas and the different colors were more of a product of the cartoon and Archie comics line but when you've got four main characters that look virtually the same those different colored bandannas can go a long way towards making the characters look different and identifiable. Right now the only real way you can tell the difference in the turtles is their skin is colored slightly differently and the belt/weapon they have on them, (though everyone wears a single waist belt except for Leo who has the straps to support the scabbards for his swords and they don't always have their weapons on them or readied in such a way to make them visible.) It seems as their different personalities that were a product of the cartoon (Michelangelo being a "party dude", Donatello being into machines/science, Leo the leader, Raph the loner) that they'd have kept the different colored bandannas.

They maybe didn't have to use the colors used in cartoons for the different turtles but some physical trait on them should be greatly different enough so that they don't look all alike, right now it's pretty much through their dialogue/personality which doesn't always come through in word/thought balloons.

After the backstory on how the turtles got made I sort of expected the cat-villain was the same cat who made off with Raph, seemed likely the cat was exposed to the mutagen as well in the process. But, yeah, it's been an enjoyable series and I like the treatment of the turtles, Splinter and Casey Jones. Be interesting to see how much more April will be used in future issues and, yes, when the Shredder is finally introduced.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2011, 04:12 AM   #19
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

With the franchise under IDW publication they have finally put out the first new collected edition, ala a Essentials/Omnibus format, and it has 8 issues. Mine arrived today and I thought for those TMNT fans out there interested in the early Mirage material to accompany the reboot here are some images.

The Front

The Back

The Spine

Index

First Page

I'm really pleased with how the product turned out. Amazon.com has a good price on it as of now for those interested. I'm going to pre-order vol.2 now as I'm happy with the initial product. Would be great to have the entire original Mirage run collected like this.

Looking forward to issue 4 of the reboot Wednesday as well!! Which, while I'm on the topic of collected editions the first arc of the reboot is up for pre-order as well.
Old November 29 2011, 04:39 AM   #20
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Holy crap! Amazon does have a good price, I'll have to get it from there. I saw this at my comic shop the other day but the $50 price tag turned me away. But it being nearly half-price at Amazon plus free shipping, I'm going for it!

I've been really enjoying the new series and look forward to #4, I hope the four turtles get together soon and the story picks up the pace some.
Old December 1 2011, 09:46 PM   #21
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Issue 4 was good.

I'm still not liking the art too much in these books. It's okay but I would've liked to see something more dynamic, interesting and "realistic looking." The art in these books is somewhat angular, blocky and lines look hairy as if they're from a rough draft or something. Coloring isn't great either. But whatever, the book has still be good.

I guess they're doing a mini-series of one-shots, one book for each turtle over the course of the next four months. Pre-release stuff claimed the Raphael book was coming out in November (yesterday) but has been delayed to next week. The second book (December's book, but not sure if it's being pushed back to January) will center around Michelangelo. From the preview of the Raphael cover the book looks to have bit better art to it. More like I would hope to see.

LINK
Old December 2 2011, 03:14 AM   #22
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I also really liked issue 4. As far as total reimaginings go this is one I'm enjoying. It's not perfect but there are more positives than negatives thus far. I'm pleasantly pleased that it's only a 4 issue intro arc instead of the more common place 6 issue opener that the industry obsesses over. Looking forward to seeing how Raph integrates into the fold. Being away for 18 months will only help in his characterization as the loner/badass I think.

Glad to have the one shot "micro series" next week!! That buffers the wait between issues.
Old December 2 2011, 03:17 AM   #23
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Yeah the take on the turtles and Splinter has been pretty cool and interesting. Now to see what they do with April, Baxter Stockman, Krang and, of course, Shredder.
Old December 3 2011, 10:16 PM   #24
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I got Volume 1 today of the original comic book series hard cover.

This is an awesome book. Thick, heavy, almost 300 pages long, filled with the first 7-issues of the comic (plus a Raphael-centric one-shot) and commentary from Eastman and Laird (TMNT's creators) in between the issues. And for $25 from Amazon a bargain from the $50 cover price.

I'll have to give it a read later (I never really read the TMNT comics from either the original Mirage comics nor the Archie comic series. I was more of a fan of the turtles through the cartoon. As a kid when I paged through the Mirage comics I wasn't impressed with the art or the black-and-white format so I passed them by, and the Archie comic series I wasn't a big fan of either, although I liked the Archie comics themselves.

Anyway, can't wait to give this volume a look through and look forward to the future volume(s). This is an impressive book and for $25 a steal!
Old December 7 2011, 09:58 AM   #25
O'Dib
Commodore

So issue 4 hints that the new series is still somehow in the old continuity?

Having never had contact with comic book TMNTs before this, distinguishing them by skin color instead of mask color is taking some getting used to. Anyone remembers and knows where to find that piece of amazing fan art that had the turtles portrayed as having widely divergent body types?
Old December 8 2011, 05:48 PM   #26
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I read the Raphael stand-alone and it's pretty damn good. Introduces a new character and sets up the introduction of two familiar characters as well as the villain I think we all knew was out there.

I liked the art in this book a lot better too than I've liked the arts in the main series of books.
Old December 9 2011, 03:43 AM   #27
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I flipped through the Raph one shot and yes it seems the one shots are going to be the set up for their primo villain!!!

Regarding O'Dib's comment about a circular path that says the old continuity may exist.
Having reread Splinters comments it does seem odd where he uses the word 'again' regarding themselves.
Old December 9 2011, 03:55 AM   #28
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, but I doubt it's meant to imply the Turtles were de-mutated and are now re-mutated. Too much stuff would had to have happened and it doesn't quite fit with everything else. (April and Casey both being unaware of the turtles to begin with.)

Re-reading it I can see how it might be interpreted that way but I think Splinter was talking about something else.
Old December 9 2011, 04:26 AM   #29
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^
I agree.
It would also need an explanation of Aprils sudden skill set with science. That's quite a career change in so little a time (18mo +). Not enough time to be proficient to land a job working on a military super soldier formula that's for sure.
Old December 9 2011, 04:38 AM   #30
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Well, in the original Mirage comics April worked with Baxter Stockman in the tech/science industry.

Anyway, I re-read the section again and now I do find it a bit suspect.

I still doubt it is meant to imply any previous continuity still exists but maybe as part of the experiments the turtles and Splinter have been mutated to humanoid form before, though never out in the open....? I've no idea. This is odd.

Splinter calls the turtles all by their names but in the first issue it seemed implied that April gave them those names.