Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How Would You Grade The Episode?
Awesome 6 25.00%
Above Average 13 54.17%
Average 1 4.17%
Below Average 2 8.33%
Horrible 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 3 2011, 03:24 AM   #136
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: American Horror Story Discussion (Spoilers)

I wonder if they'll ever loop back to the Sal Mineo murder...why show it if it isn't going to play an important role in the story? He wasn't killed in the house so his ghost can't show up as a recurring character (that house is getting pretty crowded anyway), but it might play a role in some plotline yet to be revealed set in the 1950s.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2011, 04:46 AM   #137
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

It looks like Vorta was right about Violet...

In my opinion, this show keeps on getting better and better (and more interesting). Almost every other episode there's a new development, and for the most part it doesn't seem convoluted. I think this most recent development adds another layer of complexity to the show. How are Ben and Vivian going to leave the house when they discover what happened to Violet? I have a sneaking theory that they're both going to die in that house (and that's going to just add to the long-standing occurrence of people always dying in that house).

Another theory is that at some point both Ben and Vivian die, and the show continues with a new cast of characters. The original cast can simply re-appear from time-to-time. It would give the show a creatively interesting sense of longevity. On the other hand, if the show ends prematurely, perhaps the finale could deal with Ben and Vivian coming to terms with Violet's death and having to leave with that emotional epiphany.

However, I am of the opinion that both Ben and Vivian aren't going to make it out of that house alive. Perhaps one of them might live. For some reason I can see Vivian being the only surviving member of the family but then living out the remainder of her days completely emotionally distraught over the deaths of her family (including these newborns... whatever happens of them).

Last edited by JacksonArcher; December 8 2011 at 05:09 AM.
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2011, 05:13 PM   #138
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

WOW! Holy crap.. So did not see that coming.. What a great episode.. A friend of mine who is a huge fan of the show had to work last night and as such, had to DVR it... It was all I could do not to spoil it for her..

So I guess I'm wondering if she's trapped in the house completely, or if it was just Tate controling reality to slow her down.
Old December 8 2011, 05:42 PM   #139
Tom
Rear Admiral

Well Ben needs her to get out of the house to school and such so I can't imagine him not eventually finding out Violet is dead. Kinda stinks about Larry getting locked away, he was a cool character. So now we only have Ben, Viven, Constance and Luke left that can interact with the world outside of the house. At least on Halloween all the spirits can get out of the house for one day.

Got to say this weird little show has really grown on me.
Old December 8 2011, 08:29 PM   #140
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

I guess Violet did die after taking those pills ... Another revelation (at least for me) was that Larry wasn't a ghost like the others. I was starting to question his nature when he would just constantly pop in and out of the house.

I felt that Constance really owned this episode, thanks to Jessica Lange's fine performance as usual. She was indignant when the two detectives suspected her of Travis' murder when she felt like a victim after having lost Addie and now, Travis. Best line: "Those Koreans. They're so suspicious now, especially after Hiroshima." Then she accidentally dropped the kitchen knife she used to threaten Larry in front of the cops. God, I love that woman!
Old December 8 2011, 09:38 PM   #141
Tom
Rear Admiral

Larry was outside the house a lot so he could not have been a 'house' ghost. Only on Halloween can the house ghosts get away from the house as we saw Tate (on his date with Violet) Moira (visiting her dieng mom) and Hayden (on her way to the police station with Luke), etc..
Old December 8 2011, 10:13 PM   #142
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Tom wrote: View Post
Larry was outside the house a lot so he could not have been a 'house' ghost. Only on Halloween can the house ghosts get away from the house as we saw Tate (on his date with Violet) Moira (visiting her dieng mom) and Hayden (on her way to the police station with Luke), etc..
Then explain to me how those "home invaders" that Tate killed managed to appear before Vivien and Violet inside Vivien's car as they tried to get away from the house one night. That certainly didn't happen on Halloween.
Old December 8 2011, 10:29 PM   #143
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
It looks like Vorta was right about Violet...
I'm pretty sure that notion was posed originally in this thread by someone else, because weirdly enough, I was surprised by that twist!

I was also surprised by Ben's amazing towel, resolutely clinging to him all during that fight. Much to my dismay.

The proportion of characters who are ghosts is now at a ridiculous level, and might be problematic for the series going forward, since so much of the action would have to take place in the house. I suspect the impending birth of the antichrist will be used as an excuse to start rewriting the rules.

Well Ben needs her to get out of the house to school and such so I can't imagine him not eventually finding out Violet is dead.
Violet could convince her parents to have her home-schooled, as a way of trying to avoid the trauma of them ever finding out the truth. And she could fake being agoraphobic, which of course Ben would try to "cure."

I wonder what would happen if someone tried to pick her up and carry her off the property. Would she simply vanish?

Eggnog & Butterbeer wrote: View Post
Best line: "Those Koreans. They're so suspicious now, especially after Hiroshima." Then she accidentally dropped the kitchen knife she used to threaten Larry in front of the cops. God, I love that woman!
Just inscribe her name on that Emmy now!

Eggnog & Butterbeer wrote: View Post
Then explain to me how those "home invaders" that Tate killed managed to appear before Vivien and Violet inside Vivien's car as they tried to get away from the house one night. That certainly didn't happen on Halloween.
If they're following the rules, then the car must have been parked in the driveway on the house property. Can't recall exactly how that sequence went.

And wasn't Violet also a ghost by that point?
Old December 8 2011, 10:38 PM   #144
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Yes, Violet had to have been dead by that time. I'm thinking the ghosts aren't necessarily "confined" within the walls of the house. How on earth could Violet have run to Vivien's car/SUV (with ghosts in it as well)?
Old December 8 2011, 11:11 PM   #145
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Was the car on the street or in the driveway?
Old December 8 2011, 11:57 PM   #146
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

Driveway, within the gates, so I think that covers the "rules."

There is some speculation on the FX AHS forum that only if you are buried outside, can you exist outside the house (allowing Hayden and Moira to be out in the yard), but I think as long as you die within property boundaries, you can go outside.

I think Tate was manipulating "reality," which kept Violet running back into the house.
Old December 9 2011, 01:52 AM   #147
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I interpreted that sequence as being literally what any ghost would see if they tried to leave the property. When they set foot off the property, they simply return to where they started. The others have learned not even to try anymore.
Old December 9 2011, 01:50 PM   #148
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

So would the high school also be haunted then? The ghosts of the kids killed there were out and about on Halloween as was Tate but they are not bound to the house or grounds. Maybe special Halloween dispensation?
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2011, 04:37 PM   #149
Tom
Rear Admiral

Yes, on halloween the ghosts can get out of the house. Those kids died in the school and I would guess are free floating spirits that are not bound to a property. So when Tate did leave the house on Halloween they found him.

The ghosts are not trapped in the house but on the property, we have seen this many times, Hayden talking to Ben in the Gazebo, Hayden meeting Travis as he walks by the house, Tate on the porch, etc..
Old December 9 2011, 07:11 PM   #150
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

The ghosts are not trapped in the house but on the property, we have seen this many times, Hayden talking to Ben in the Gazebo, Hayden meeting Travis as he walks by the house, Tate on the porch, etc..
Yes, but initially you said:

Larry was outside the house a lot so he could not have been a 'house' ghost.
That seemed to imply that house ghosts can't walk outside the house (unless it's Halloween).