RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,408
Members: 24,629
Currently online: 554
Newest member: Karzak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 7 2011, 05:41 PM   #196
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: BBC Original British Drama

Crassmass Eve wrote: View Post
The DW team look about as comfortable as a nun in a poledancing club.
Is she watching or doing the dancing? Just so I can get the picture right in my head...
Old December 7 2011, 06:01 PM   #197
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

That reminds me. I think everyone needs to see this at least once in their lives

God I hate that AD, what was the BBC thinking?
Its has if they want to lose the licence fee.
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2011, 06:18 PM   #198
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Serial thread killer wrote: View Post
That reminds me. I think everyone needs to see this at least once in their lives

I guess they didn't pay attention to Charlie...

Charlie Brooker

Anyway, among all the articles detailing which bits of Radio 1 Extra will be shared with Radio 1, and which daytime shows are likely to be axed and so on, the one thing I can't find is any mention of how much the BBC spends on promotional trails. I'm not talking about the on-air trails consisting of edited highlights. I'm talking about the bespoke mini-movies encouraging me to watch such little-known broadcasts as Strictly Come Dancing; ads created not from footage from the shows themselves, but from specially-shot glossy nonsense.
These things turn me silver with rage. Yeah, silver. I TURN SILVER. And they turn me silver not because they're bad – on the contrary, they're often very well made indeed – but because they have absolutely no right to exist in any civilised universe. It's like watching the BBC shit money into a big glittery bin.
To shoot the recent Strictly trailer, for instance, in which celebrities lead a crowd of "ordinary folk" in a patronising pied-piper dance, I'd guess they had to close a couple of streets for several days (including one very tricky night shoot involving lots of pretty lights). It's glossily made and quite complicated, so there's also a big crew to pay. And as well as the stars themselves, all of whom require costume and makeup, I'd say they also had to hire about 50 extras. And a shitload of catering. All these people should be employed to make shows, not adverts for shows. That's like paying Heston Blumenthal millions to design a bespoke scent that'll tempt people to your soup truck, which only serves bargain soup made with cheap ingredients because that's all you can afford, having blown all the money on the smell.
All that time and money to advertise a show which everybody knows about anyway. You could hold a bit of cardboard with "STRICTLY'S COMING BACK" scrawled on it in front of the lens for 10 seconds and it would have 10 times the impact. Madness.
And it's not just madness in the short-term: what about legacy? If all that time and money and street-closing and dancing and filming had been used to create a show instead of an advert, they might've created something they could broadcast again, or sell on DVD, or flog to the Swiss and the Kenyans. Instead they blew it on a promo that'll air for a few weeks before getting tossed on to the ever-mounting stack of other never-to-be-shown-again adverts, which sit there gathering dust in nobody's memories – pointless visual epics informing you that the BBC sometimes broadcasts football and has radio stations.
I wouldn't mind if they used the money to sew some shiny new buttons on Ian Beale's shirt. Or maybe a bunch of pitchforks and flaming torches for those terrified farmers round Cameron's way. Film that. At least it's money spent on the right thing.
Old December 7 2011, 07:53 PM   #199
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

Skutter Claws wrote: View Post
Serial thread killer wrote: View Post

I guess they didn't pay attention to Charlie...

Charlie Brooker

Anyway, among all the articles detailing which bits of Radio 1 Extra will be shared with Radio 1, and which daytime shows are likely to be axed and so on, the one thing I can't find is any mention of how much the BBC spends on promotional trails. I'm not talking about the on-air trails consisting of edited highlights. I'm talking about the bespoke mini-movies encouraging me to watch such little-known broadcasts as Strictly Come Dancing; ads created not from footage from the shows themselves, but from specially-shot glossy nonsense.
These things turn me silver with rage. Yeah, silver. I TURN SILVER. And they turn me silver not because they're bad – on the contrary, they're often very well made indeed – but because they have absolutely no right to exist in any civilised universe. It's like watching the BBC shit money into a big glittery bin.
To shoot the recent Strictly trailer, for instance, in which celebrities lead a crowd of "ordinary folk" in a patronising pied-piper dance, I'd guess they had to close a couple of streets for several days (including one very tricky night shoot involving lots of pretty lights). It's glossily made and quite complicated, so there's also a big crew to pay. And as well as the stars themselves, all of whom require costume and makeup, I'd say they also had to hire about 50 extras. And a shitload of catering. All these people should be employed to make shows, not adverts for shows. That's like paying Heston Blumenthal millions to design a bespoke scent that'll tempt people to your soup truck, which only serves bargain soup made with cheap ingredients because that's all you can afford, having blown all the money on the smell.
All that time and money to advertise a show which everybody knows about anyway. You could hold a bit of cardboard with "STRICTLY'S COMING BACK" scrawled on it in front of the lens for 10 seconds and it would have 10 times the impact. Madness.
And it's not just madness in the short-term: what about legacy? If all that time and money and street-closing and dancing and filming had been used to create a show instead of an advert, they might've created something they could broadcast again, or sell on DVD, or flog to the Swiss and the Kenyans. Instead they blew it on a promo that'll air for a few weeks before getting tossed on to the ever-mounting stack of other never-to-be-shown-again adverts, which sit there gathering dust in nobody's memories – pointless visual epics informing you that the BBC sometimes broadcasts football and has radio stations.
I wouldn't mind if they used the money to sew some shiny new buttons on Ian Beale's shirt. Or maybe a bunch of pitchforks and flaming torches for those terrified farmers round Cameron's way. Film that. At least it's money spent on the right thing.
So true.
Also because more and more people are watching the BBC via I player, there are less and less people watching the ads.
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2011, 07:55 PM   #200
Lonemagpie
Writer

So, the fucking Gruffalo's a drama now? What?

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2011, 08:16 PM   #201
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

You're just a bunch of Scrooges.
Old December 7 2011, 08:22 PM   #202
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

You're just a bunch of Scrooges.
Now, did I say anything against the ad? No, I just posted something Charlie Brooker said.
Old December 8 2011, 02:09 PM   #203
Starkers
Admiral

I think it's a fun little ad that everyone in likely was contractually obliged to star in anyway, and I'd love to know what kind of epic programme Brooker thinks could be made with the budget for a 30 second Strictly ad (bearing in mind again that likely Robbie Savage, Holly Vallance and co weren't paid any extra to be in it anyway) So you're left with a couple of streets, some no name extras and a film crew. Quick let's make Invasion Rochadale or something...

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2011, 02:23 PM   #204
danellis
Lieutenant Commander

Is Charlie Brooker someone I'm supposed to have heard of? He's not in Eastenders or XFactor, is he?

Is there an argument that adverts like that add the to prestife of the BBC (thinking particularly of the "Perfect Day" cover they did some years ago)?

dJE
danellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2011, 05:15 PM   #205
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

^Charlie Brooker is a TV presenter, writer, critic and columnist in the Guardian.
Old December 21 2011, 02:04 PM   #206
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Here's a few clips from "Sherlock" series two!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/12/...tiss-sherlock/

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2011, 03:22 PM   #207
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

The latest trail for the upcoming season.
Old December 31 2011, 04:15 AM   #208
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I'm watching Love Soup.

It's weird seeing Jimmy Olsen as an English actor but he's been living over there for a while.

You can imagine the writers tossing their toys having to rewrite their scripts after some one decides to cast and American as one of their British buffering Archetypes.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2012, 08:49 PM   #209
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

A new list of shows for this year has come out today

From The Guardian

The War of the Roses is an adaptation of Philippa Gregory's best-selling series of books The Cousin's War and is part of a renewed focus on BBC1 drama.
The BBC said that it is yet to cast the drama or decide the number of episodes.
Witches are also the subject of BBC1's traditional festive treat for children.
Following the success of airing author Julia Donaldson's children's books The Gruffalo and The Gruffalo's Child in the past two festive seasons, BBC1 and Magic Light Pictures are bringing another one to life this December called Room on the Broom.
Also on the cards for Christmas is a three-part adaptation of what TS Eliot called "the first and greatest of English detective novels", Wilkie Collins' The Moonstone.

Halloween will be marked by BBC1 with a three-part drama taken from James Herbert's haunted house chiller The Secret of Crickley Hall.
BBC1 will also feature new contemporary dramas with Ben Stephenson, controller of drama commissioning, announcing the arrival of Truckers.
Written by William Ivory and made by Company Pictures, the six-part series follows a group of men and women who work for the same haulage company driving 40-ton articulated lorries across the Midlands.
The BBC described it as "a warm, funny, bitter-sweet character-driven show about getting by in difficult times".
Speaking at a Broadcasting Press Guild lunch in London, Stephenson revealed that Sean Bean, Anna Maxwell Martin and Stephen Graham will be joining the cast of the next series of Jimmy McGovern's Accused.
He also said that Sir Derek Jacobi and Sarah Lancashire will be appearing in writer Sally Wainwight's new series about rekindled love, called Antony and Cleopatra.
Antony and Cleopatra is actor Derek Jacobi's first TV drama series since he appeared in ITV's monk drama Cadfael in the mid-1990s.
Other casting announcements made by Stephenson included Matthew Macfadyen taking the lead role in Tiger Aspect's new Jack the Ripper drama Ripper Street and Hayley Atwell to star in William Boyd's Restless.
In addition, Ben Miller island crime series Death in Paradise is being recommissioned for a second eight-part series and Denis Lawson is joining the cast of veteran detective show New Tricks.
Stephenson revealed that Denis Lawson, who is best known for his role of Holby City and appeared in the BBC's adaptation of Bleak House, is to become the new lead of BBC1 drama New Tricks. Lawson replaces former Likely Lads actor James Bolam who is leaving the show.

He added: "I believe BBC1 showcases the biggest and broadest range of what mainstream drama can offer of any channel in the world. This year alone will see BBC1 launching over 20 new titles, as well as bringing back over 15 returning series."
Old January 11 2012, 09:06 PM   #210
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I just watched the first season of Luther and enjoyed it. Idris Elba was great but Paul McGann got a nice meaty part in the final episode which I quite liked.

I'm a Peter Davison fan and was looking into "The Last Detective" which is from a few years back. Can anyone speak to the quality of it?