Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 22 2011, 11:52 PM   #106
scnj
Captain

Re: How I Met Your Mother: Barney and... (Spoilers ahead...)

How long has this show had a laugh track? I'vve been watching foor seven seasons, and never noticed it until tonight. Maybe because it's not as intrusive as Big Bang Theory's.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2011, 12:21 AM   #107
tighr
Commodore

scnj wrote: View Post
How long has this show had a laugh track? I'vve been watching foor seven seasons, and never noticed it until tonight. Maybe because it's not as intrusive as Big Bang Theory's.
How I Met Your Mother has always been a pre-recorded multi-camera setup to simulate the standard 3-camera format that most sitcoms use (except Scrubs). The taped episodes are then shown to a studio audience to capture the laughter. So its not a laugh track so much as its a post-episode live audience.

Big Bang Theory uses the traditional 3-camera format, but has a live studio audience.

I don't think shows use "laugh tracks" anymore.
Old November 23 2011, 01:38 AM   #108
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

AliciaD496 wrote: View Post
Poor Ted...he'll be the only unmarried, childless one in the group. But at least he's going to meet his future wife at the wedding, right? It'd be nice to actually have the next two seasons show THEM dating and a lead up to a wedding for them as well. It seems like the show's wandered from Ted's story for a while so I hope he gets some progress soon.
The show only has a year and a half left, and the wedding probably won't happen until at least the season finale. Or it could be next years series finale. We just don't know. I though, like you, would love to see Ted and the Mother date and then have the series finale be their wedding. He could meet her at the end of this season...

"And that kids....is how I met your mother. But that's not quite the end of the story yet..."

<kids groan>

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2011, 02:20 AM   #109
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

ryan123450 wrote: View Post
AliciaD496 wrote: View Post
Poor Ted...he'll be the only unmarried, childless one in the group. But at least he's going to meet his future wife at the wedding, right? It'd be nice to actually have the next two seasons show THEM dating and a lead up to a wedding for them as well. It seems like the show's wandered from Ted's story for a while so I hope he gets some progress soon.
The show only has a year and a half left, and the wedding probably won't happen until at least the season finale. Or it could be next years series finale. We just don't know. I though, like you, would love to see Ted and the Mother date and then have the series finale be their wedding. He could meet her at the end of this season...

"And that kids....is how I met your mother. But that's not quite the end of the story yet..."

<kids groan>
You're assuming a lot here.

The show has a year and a half on the books now, but its ratings are higher than they've ever been. CBS will try to bring it back for more, I guess it just depends what Jason Segel, NPH, and Cobie Smulders demand to keep working (I'm assuming Hannigan and Radnor will have fewer people knocking on their doors).
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2011, 04:13 AM   #110
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

How did Josh get in this mix?

It's almost like the [producers needed a lame duck to prop up in front of the camera so that the actual stars in the cast, more so than of the show wouldn't mean girls themselves into a coma.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2011, 04:03 PM   #111
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

huh?

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2011, 05:42 PM   #112
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
It's almost like the [producers needed a lame duck to prop up in front of the camera so that the actual stars in the cast, more so than of the show wouldn't mean girls themselves into a coma.
Guy, I think you need to get some sleep.
Old December 6 2011, 03:14 PM   #113
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Update: Robin isn't pregnant, can't have kids and never does. It was a great fakeout episode with the kids we were supposed to believe were Robin and Barney's. It was an odd format too since the show is a story being told by Ted. Anyway, now we're back to wondering about the status of Robin and Barney. They might end up married with no kids or Barney might end up with someone else. I get the impression that when Barney does get married, it will have been a sudden decision.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2011, 06:34 PM   #114
tighr
Commodore

They really threw us for a loop. I was shocked that they revealed in the first 30 seconds that Barney was the father of Robin's baby, but then everything returned to the status quo at the end.

I think Barney will still get back with Nora. He clearly wants kids.
Old December 6 2011, 11:38 PM   #115
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

That was a very good episode.. the first minute had me in stitches when she repeatedly punched out Barney but as it progressed and ended i was really sad for Robin. Even if she never wanted kids the fact she can't have them is still a sucker punch and the way it was written was so atypical of this rather light show that it stood out really well.. it was just heartbreaking.
Old December 7 2011, 12:13 AM   #116
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

tighr wrote: View Post
How I Met Your Mother has always been a pre-recorded multi-camera setup to simulate the standard 3-camera format that most sitcoms use (except Scrubs). The taped episodes are then shown to a studio audience to capture the laughter. So its not a laugh track so much as its a post-episode live audience.

Big Bang Theory uses the traditional 3-camera format, but has a live studio audience.

Two and a Half Men and Big Bang Theory definately use laugh tracks, as the laughs are pretty much repeating.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2011, 12:54 AM   #117
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Peter Gallagher Saves Christmas wrote: View Post
Update: Robin isn't pregnant, can't have kids and never does. It was a great fakeout episode with the kids we were supposed to believe were Robin and Barney's. It was an odd format too since the show is a story being told by Ted. Anyway, now we're back to wondering about the status of Robin and Barney. They might end up married with no kids or Barney might end up with someone else. I get the impression that when Barney does get married, it will have been a sudden decision.
There was a story a few weeks back where some one other than Bob Saggat was clearly narrating the story, and still the story cutaway into a scene of Teds kids spitaking after something ludicrous was said.

Very offputting and disjoint.

By the way...

Christmas or Chrismukkah?

Kirby wrote: View Post
Guy, I think you need to get some sleep.
Sleep is for the weak.

ryan123450 wrote: View Post
huh?
Dougie Howser, The dad from Full house, the lesbian witch from Buffy and the giant goof from Freaks and Geeks are playing second fiddle to the unnamed Tour Guide from Not Another Teen Movie 1.

Not because Josh is better than them, but because they know that they are better than he is, these "celebrities" can humour his odd placement in the pecking order. If the producers actually put a nine hundred watt Star front and centre instead of a 40 watt like Josh Radnor, the E! True Hollywood Story of How I Met Your Mother would play out like MacBeth.

Old December 7 2011, 12:59 AM   #118
tighr
Commodore

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
tighr wrote: View Post
Maybe because it's not as intrusive as Big Bang Theory's.

Two and a Half Men and Big Bang Theory definately use laugh tracks, as the laughs are pretty much repeating.
Big Bang Theory definitely has a live studio audience:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LaughTrack
http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2010/09/...ugh-track.html

If you wanted to, you could come out to LA and attend a taping to see for yourself. However, the criticism is common of his shows that the studio audience laughter is unnecessarily loud. And, FWIW, I don't even hear the laughter. Perhaps my brain is just tuned to ignore it.
Old December 7 2011, 01:10 AM   #119
tighr
Commodore

Dougie Howser, The dad from Full house, the lesbian witch from Buffy and the giant goof from Freaks and Geeks are playing second fiddle to the unnamed Tour Guide from Not Another Teen Movie 1.
You're forgetting that most of the supporting characters have more acting credits than he does... including the kids on the couch (Lyndsy Fonseca was in Kick-Ass, Desperate Housewives, and Young and the Restless; David Henrie has done a bunch of Disney channel stuff).

And that's literally one of Josh Radnor's ONLY film credits. And he was uncredited.
Old December 7 2011, 01:35 AM   #120
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

They filmed all of Lyndsay and David's stuff in the first year, so they're a nonissue.

Lyndsay is two feet taller, at least, on Nikita these days.

Kick Ass can't must have been filmed before the first Season of How met Your Mother?