Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 5 2011, 04:12 AM   #136
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

Re: Dexter

I have a really bad, creepy feeling about where things are going for Dexter and Deb, based on tonight's episode and the preview of next week's episode. I think the showrunners are having things lead up to Deb realizing that she has romantic feelings for Dexter. Just I think the show can't get any worse. If they do this, then it will truly be the end of Dexter as we know it. What are the writers thinking? I mean, thinking about it gives me actual chills down the spine. It would completely ruin Dexter and Deb's brother-sister relationship. Yes, they aren't really brother and sister but they are legally through Dexter's adoption.
Joe Washington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2011, 04:15 AM   #137
Harvey
Admiral

The writers of Dexter have been thinking? Even the much-lauded season four mostly coasted on the performance of John Lithgow. The show hasn't been sharply written since season two.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2011, 04:48 AM   #138
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

Amen, my brother. Those were the good, old days of Dexter when you would feel addictively drawn to watching every episode of the season in a good, exciting way and not out of a sense of obligation that are driving most people into further watching Dexter.
Old December 5 2011, 08:56 AM   #139
Harvey
Admiral

Season five used up my sense of obligation. It didn't even have a strong special guest star to carry things along like seasons three and four (Jimmy Smitts; John Lithgow). I haven't even tried season six, and judging from what I've read, I don't think I've missed anything.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2011, 09:21 AM   #140
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

It's not that bad.

The problem is that this season is one long joke.

The first season was 12 jokes.

Each season successively had less jokes.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2011, 08:01 PM   #141
davejames
Vice Admiral

Joe Washington wrote: View Post
Amen, my brother. Those were the good, old days of Dexter when you would feel addictively drawn to watching every episode of the season in a good, exciting way and not out of a sense of obligation that are driving most people into further watching Dexter.
Yeah it's feeling more tired and formulaic with every season.

The shame of it is, they had a really cool idea in pitting Dexter against another mentor/student combo. They just forgot to make those characters remotely compelling.

Colin Hanks is a solid enough actor, but in a show like this you really need to have a dynamic, charismatic villain, and he's just not it.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2011, 04:11 AM   #142
Shanndee
Commodore

I seem to have lost my post somewhere in the ether...I'm sorry if this shows up as a double post...

Colin Hanks is a solid enough actor, but in a show like this you really need to have a dynamic, charismatic villain, and he's just not it.
I completely agree with this statement. I would have been much happier if Edward James Olmos had been allowed to go it alone as an independent (living!) villain. I think his performance could have rivalled John Lithgow's (given a decent story arc).

This wouldn't have given us much in the way of originality...but at least it would have given us a compelling performance to watch...
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2011, 06:02 AM   #143
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

Yeah. I would liked it if Gellar was real and he killed Travis instead of the other way around and began seeking another apprentice. But I fear that wouldn't be enoug to completely save this season. Season 6 doesn't really very tight as a season. It feels more like a cluster of random plots.
Old December 7 2011, 06:10 AM   #144
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

so do you think we are going to have christmass episode for dexter?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2011, 06:15 AM   #145
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

I doubt it and frankly, I don't care.
Old December 7 2011, 08:52 AM   #146
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

This season is infinitely better than last season since we don't have to sit through the insipid Batista/LaGuerta marriage. That was like waterboarding. Speaking Batista are they gonna kill him off or are the Doomsday lameos just going to let him live because the world's ending in a few days? If so it's a copout after Travis made that speach about not wanting to be in jail when the end came. Bet they don't have the stones to whack Batista.
Old December 7 2011, 09:57 AM   #147
Santeria
Lieutenant Commander

He's likely going to be used in one of the next scenes they put together, but Dexter or someone else will be able to save him in time. Assuming they don't want to get rid of him completely. Which I kind of doubt since they're emphasizing his sister so much as of late.
Santeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2011, 06:09 PM   #148
davejames
Vice Admiral

It was cool hearing Dexter refer to himself again as the Bay Harbor Butcher. That was such a badass name, and it always bugged me that he didn't embrace or flaunt it more (especially when going up against guys like Miguel or Trinity, who were always trying to intimidate him or show him up).

But I guess that just goes to how soft and loveable the writers have tried to make him over the years. He's no longer the dark, mysterious, vaguely creepy guy he used to be.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2011, 07:58 PM   #149
LitmusDragon
Commodore

I'm finally caught up and am personally enjoying this season a lot more than 5. It has an actual arc and plot instead of just a bunch of random things happening.
Old December 8 2011, 12:13 AM   #150
Marten
Captain

The last episode is called This is the way the world ends. Let's hope T.S Eliot was wrong about how it's going to happen.
Marten is offline   Reply With Quote